Left 4 fun (and Zombie Panic Source)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

GCM

Left 4 fun (and Zombie Panic Source)

Postby GCM » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Who else is looking forward to it? I can say that I'm picking it up the moment it hits shelves (or at least, the moment I hit an outlet). The Director part sounds like it could totally be screwed up, or not be as terrific as thought, but Valve has had a good history of making innovation work.

Also, we should probably get some guys around here and play together.

On another note, I'm playing a little Zombie Fortress and Zombie Panic! Source in the meantime, since they're free to me anyway. Though I have to say, I'll need more time for the latter to really get into it.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Seda

Re: Left 4 fun (and Zombie Panic Source)

Postby Seda » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

GCM wrote:Who else is looking forward to it? I can say that I'm picking it up the moment it hits shelves (or at least, the moment I hit an outlet). The Director part sounds like it could totally be screwed up, or not be as terrific as thought, but Valve has had a good history of making innovation work.

Also, we should probably get some guys around here and play together.

On another note, I'm playing a little Zombie Fortress and Zombie Panic! Source in the meantime, since they're free to me anyway. Though I have to say, I'll need more time for the latter to really get into it.

I can't wait...
Aum

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Ooh, I haven't heard of Zombie Fortress before. I don't have to download anything to play it, right? If so I can't find any populated servers using it.

I'm really looking forward to left 4 dead. I was hoping steam would have a beta of it like they did for Team Fortress, but oh well.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:30 am UTC

Delbin wrote:Ooh, I haven't heard of Zombie Fortress before.

It's a source mod. You'll have to download the mod.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:41 am UTC

I'm somewhat interested, but I'll wait till it comes out to see reviews. It looks like the co-op stuff would be fun, but I'm wondering how re-playable it will be. Wikipedia says there are 4 build-in scenarios (more could be released/modded in later?), but they're only about an hour each, so I don't know how much re-playability that has for 'normal' play. The versus mode could be interesting depending on how it's balanced and such. I'll leave my judgment till it's out though.

It seems way way way overhyped though, which I don't really get (oh my god, its a valve game?).

micco

Postby micco » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:36 am UTC

I am very interested about left 4 dead , but I think it won`t work on my computer. So I`ll just stick to zombie panic source. Only thing that bother me a bit about left 4 dead is, that the zombies can run, that is not right.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

"Some" of the zombies can run, a large number are the shambling type, those ones just arn't very deadly when you have an assault rifle.

And why would you think your computer would not be able to run Left4Dead but you could run zombie panic source? They're both half-life-2 mods, using the same graphics and physics engines. Its like saying "well, I probably can't play teamfortress 2, I'll stick to playing counterstrike source".

micco

Postby micco » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Because left 4 dead uses all kinds of fancy effects that zombie panic doesn`t.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote: Its like saying "well, I probably can't play teamfortress 2, I'll stick to playing counterstrike source".
TF2 has so much crap on the screen, so many grenade/guns/explosion polygons on the screen during a big battle, that may people can't handle TF2 on their computer while CSS works just fine. Left 4 Dead and Zombie Panic Source may have the same deal.

Seda

Postby Seda » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

I reserved Left 4 Dead yesterday. I'm not even sure of when it comes out, but by the gods, when it does I'll be there.
Aum

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:
Delbin wrote:Ooh, I haven't heard of Zombie Fortress before.

It's a source mod. You'll have to download the mod.

Wait, you do? I just went on my regular server, which had industry as the Mystery Map for that time period, and it worked by itself. I just had to download the map...
Alternately, search for map term "zf_" in the internet servers list for TF2.
Basically, ZPS and ZFortress are samey. You die, you join zombies. ZPS has more objective basedgameplay and more atmosphere (and a little more realistic, like omgmyweaponsareslowingmedown), which there's a little more variety in TF2 (due to the weapons already and the fact that zombies can be Scout, Heavy, or Spy)

Xeio wrote:It seems way way way overhyped though, which I don't really get (oh my god, its a valve game?).

That quote "It's a Valve game?" is good enough for me. :D

I'm sure there will be plenty of updates to keep it fresh. The reason it only totals up 3-5 hours in this original set is because hey, if you're playing on the internet with buddies, you don't want to go on for a regular single player campaign, would you? And even if there were a save feature for a 20 hour game, you'd need everyone to be online to continue your damn game. Otherwise, it'd be rather awkward to join different games for people with different saves. No continuity.

Jebobek wrote:that may people can't handle TF2 on their computer while CSS works just fine.

I beg to differ. How many people are we really talking about here?

Seda wrote:I reserved Left 4 Dead yesterday. I'm not even sure of when it comes out, but by the gods, when it does I'll be there.

$50! The last few games I bought were $20! Okay, given, the only current game was TF2 in the Orange Box. The others were Painkiller Universe collection, Halo CE, and soon, Psychonauts.

Final note: Wow. Long post.
~Sun Tzu

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I'm somewhat interested, but I'll wait till it comes out to see reviews. It looks like the co-op stuff would be fun, but I'm wondering how re-playable it will be. Wikipedia says there are 4 build-in scenarios (more could be released/modded in later?), but they're only about an hour each, so I don't know how much re-playability that has for 'normal' play. The versus mode could be interesting depending on how it's balanced and such. I'll leave my judgment till it's out though.

It seems way way way overhyped though, which I don't really get (oh my god, its a valve game?).

The scenerios change dynamically every time you play based on how you're playing and you can play as both the survivors and the zombies.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

I think I'll preorder this on steam soon.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:The scenerios change dynamically every time you play based on how you're playing and you can play as both the survivors and the zombies.
Dynamic play only adds so much. I just think it's a really limited number of built-in scenarios since each is so short. I mean, if the VS play is good, it might not matter as much, but a 4v4 hour long game would also (IMO) be boring. It is fun to play with friends, but I want to play many people (how long are you going to want to play against a team that crushes you every fight? or one that loses every fight to you?).
GCM wrote:I'm sure there will be plenty of updates to keep it fresh. The reason it only totals up 3-5 hours in this original set is because hey, if you're playing on the internet with buddies, you don't want to go on for a regular single player campaign, would you? And even if there were a save feature for a 20 hour game, you'd need everyone to be online to continue your damn game. Otherwise, it'd be rather awkward to join different games for people with different saves. No continuity.
Thats why most games are broken into missions (halo/gears for example when you co-op online). Maybe the scenarios are more in-depth than Wikipedia's impression is, but I dunno.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

I'm not sure if people understand exactly what's going on, but there are 3-4 maps each with different stages/sections. Survivors make it to the next waypoint/checkpoint, new round begins in different part of map. Since the total map comes out to 60-75 minutes, iirc, lets say it's at roughly 15 minutes per section until a area where people can leave and new people can join. You can predict how the zombies will move after playing it a bit, I think, but there still is some chance in how they'll spawn, not to mention other PC zombies doing their best to kill you by travelling where you can't get to to set up traps, etc. That said, I have heard people hoping for extra models so they can expand the amount of people playing in the server.

Also, they have the revamped achievement system for Left 4 Dead specifically to tell who is good to play with, who isn't by tracking their kills, team kills, medpack hoggers, etc. I think it'll be a blast to play and am eagerly awaiting this game, especially with the tactical advantages of playable zombies - get the main horde of zombies to attack from one direction, and then the playable zombies attack from behind, above, anywhere they can to throw the survivors off.

Zombie Fortress - it's fun, but zf_panic might be overpowered for the survivors now as the heavy taunt glitch has been removed. simply hole up at the top, keep the zombies killed... and if you're a heavy, it's probably best not to equip sandvich. Gives health to people that pick up.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Achievements/stats can be easily fudged. Look at my TF2 stats. I have like 2000 points on a medic. Because I entered an achievement grinding stage to unlock stuff.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:31 am UTC

Can you fudge killing all of your teammates for 500 rounds? It's not exactly like you can erase the achievement "Team Killer" when server admins are looking for decent people to play with.

It's not that the good achievements can't be faked, but somewhere it said that the game would be keeping track of who did what in the game and keep a tally for people to look at.When given a chance to choose between playing with a person known for taking all the medpacks in a level vs a person with many survivals, who would you take?

Although it might be fun for one round to not trust anyone in the game, knowing the survivors are more likely to ditch you rather than help, throw a pipe bomb at you when you're surrounded...

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

I was playing ZP:S a lot (that is, before I got Fallout 3 yesterday). At first I found it was short bursts of intense fun separated by log periods of boredom and mindless wandering, but it grows on you. Once you learn the map layouts a bit you aren't wandering around as much, it becomes good fun. It's just not for the ADHD kind of person who needs constant action (so it's the opposite of, say, Unreal Tournament).

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:03 am UTC

I'm can't wait for this game I already have a group of survivors set up to help me fuck up zombies.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:15 am UTC

I preordered it. It looks amazing.

Anyway, I'm going to analyze* the survivors now.
There's Jayne (Firefly), the standard "I fought in th' war 'afor you was born" veteran, typical suburban upper-middle class girl, and the "relatable" office guy.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

I pre-ordered the game. Then my video card died, and I'm now desperately trying to get it replaced before this comes out, or at the very least get one that I can play this game on while waiting to get it replaced.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

korora

Postby korora » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

I preordered it. Note that people who pre-order get it for $5 less and get to play the demo starting next week, so there should be some real impressions in here before too long.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Maybe the scenarios are more in-depth than Wikipedia's impression is, but I dunno.

Wikipedia fail!

I'm sure the demo will say something about it.

By the way, what does the "Panic!" button do, anyway?

Also, omgwtfbbq my admin just created zf_dustbowl! That shit is scary, man. Needs a little balancing, but RED can actually win even if there are 25 people on the server, which is more than I can say for a lot of maps.
~Sun Tzu

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:52 am UTC

So, the first TV ad and intro sequence have been released.

The ad is... not what I was expecting, but still rather catchy (that music's looping in my head). The intro sequence is pretty cool, and rather darker.

I can't wait. I think the running zombies are an interesting touch.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:11 am UTC

GCM wrote:By the way, what does the "Panic!" button do, anyway?

In Zombie Panic Source, it drops all your equipment except the weapon you're currently holding. Since weapons and ammo slow you down considerably, this basically lets you run faster and escape.

I think you're talking about Left 4 Dead, and I'll assume the panic button has a similar effect in that game.

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:
GCM wrote:By the way, what does the "Panic!" button do, anyway?

In Zombie Panic Source, it drops all your equipment except the weapon you're currently holding. Since weapons and ammo slow you down considerably, this basically lets you run faster and escape.

I think you're talking about Left 4 Dead, and I'll assume the panic button has a similar effect in that game.

Nope, I meant ZPS. Thanks. I was thinking about trying it out soon. Saved me ass, you did!
~Sun Tzu

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Looks like a Left 4 Dead demo will be available November 6th to those people who pre-ordered. Not a bad deal if you plan to get it release day.

GCM

Postby GCM » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

Pre-ordered! Wahahaha! Who wants to kill zombies with meee?

Anyone else pre-ordered? I can't download it yet because it says "not yet released," but there was this screen that said "about to download", which greyed out the back and next button, leaving me to press X to close (either that, or the cancel button). I'm a little worried that I was supposed to keep that window open because this is my first order over Steam.
~Sun Tzu

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

I preordered, but I like boxes, so not from Steam.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:37 am UTC

I was able to play a level and a half before work. I was surprised how well-made the animations were for the zombies and how good they looked with so many on the screen. I tried to get a couple multiplayer matches going, but the connection kept on timing out. Initially exploring the levels was a little annoying since there was no indication where we were supposed to be headed.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:28 am UTC

The game is a real blast - especially on the harder difficulties. It's very easy to have a partner run in front of you and give him a single shotgun blast to the back, knocking him to the floor. Setting up communication and good firelanes would go a long way towards survival on those past normal difficulty.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:11 am UTC

GCM wrote:Pre-ordered! Wahahaha! Who wants to kill zombies with meee?

Anyone else pre-ordered? I can't download it yet because it says "not yet released," but there was this screen that said "about to download", which greyed out the back and next button, leaving me to press X to close (either that, or the cancel button). I'm a little worried that I was supposed to keep that window open because this is my first order over Steam.

Well, when I bought Orange Box on steam, my computer decided it wanted to reboot itself several times during the download and install process. While I can't speak for TF2 as I've never played the thing, everything else worked perfectly fine.

So you should be fine in turning it off. I mean, it records what you've purchased and if you don't currently have it installed, it will attempt to download and install it for you.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:56 am UTC

After reading about ZF, I'm going to have to stray from normal TF2 and try that.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

meloncrab

Postby meloncrab » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:57 am UTC

Any fellow XKCDians out there who could help me, please? I'd like to get hands on the uncut version of Left4Dead. Could someone please preorder-gift me the game via Steam? Of course I'd transfer the money via PayPal beforehand.

€: nevermind
Last edited by meloncrab on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:52 am UTC

Ishindri wrote:So, the first TV ad and intro sequence have been released.

The ad is... not what I was expecting, but still rather catchy (that music's looping in my head). The intro sequence is pretty cool, and rather darker.

I can't wait. I think the running zombies are an interesting touch.

I see what you mean about the TV ad. If you didn't know, the music is "Grounds for Divorce" by Elbow.

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Just pre-ordered tonight (well, got it as a gift after winning a bet that is mentioned somewhere in the Fleeting Thoughts thread), and had a pretty long sesh with three other guys from work. My first impressions are that it's absolutely amazing.

Normal difficulty is pretty fun. Good if you just wanna come on and have an absolute slaughter-fest, as anyone who is any good at FPS will murder the zombies on normal. The fun starts as soon as you get past normal difficulty.

When you get past the normal difficulty, communication is key. We found the best tactic was to have a point and a rear guard, and have point take control of where to go. Absolutely stick together as a team. In an intense battle situation, knowing who will take the front and who will take the rear is key. People at the front must duck and allow people at the back to shoot over them. Also, when and where to use medi-kits seemed extremely important. The game is very much about tactics and communication, and that adds to the awesomeness.

We played on expert for the last hour or so and, for the most part, got absolutely raped. The Director is fantastic, and really seems to know the exact moment to pile on the pressure. It always felt "right" rather than forced, if you know what I mean? The tank (fucking huge zombie killing machine) is absolutely rock hard on expert. Unless you're the L4D equivilent of Jack Bauer, imminent death should be expected.

And obviously, as it's the source engine, it looks and runs fantastic. Anyway, can't wait for the actual release. Gonna be full of awesome. This might just cure me of my TF2 addiction.
SIG 404 - Signature not found

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:45 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well, when I bought Orange Box on steam, my computer decided it wanted to reboot itself several times during the download and install process. While I can't speak for TF2 as I've never played the thing, everything else worked perfectly fine.

Yes, I did that, but :shock: ... you poor poor soul. I feel sorry for the man who's never snuck up behind an attack group, backstabbed the lot of them, scored 12 points and heard the Spy snorting.
Of course, that's not all TF2 is about, and that fact makes it so much more compelling.

Babamthegrunt wrote:After reading about ZF, I'm going to have to stray from normal TF2 and try that.

Play it. Come onto my regular server when the dude runs zf_dustbowl. Mmmmm.... brains with mayonaise....

As for L4D, I'm waiting for the full experience in the full version for the full atmosphere of the game with full fun. Because I'm sure you don't want my full review for fighting the fucking horde with all full firepower provided at the first two full sections of the full demo.

God, I love alliteration. It's the easiest way to annoy and an- NO! Bad GCM.
~Sun Tzu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:16 am UTC

Playing TF2 involves playing with other people.

I hate other people. I also get stuck in a suck-cycle for some reason. In pretty much every online game I ever play.

Suck-Cycle - where you start a game and proceed in gaining skill in that game until, suddenly, you are no longer able to progress. The opponents you face are either laughably easy, leaving you wondering if they're actually human or just someone's experiment of using two chatbots talking to each other to randomly determine direction and facing, OR because they're killing you goddamn fast, you have no idea what happens and it takes you three deaths to figure it out. Not those three deaths, the one four deaths ago. So you end up, essentially, several deaths behind yourself, correcting mistakes that no longer even matter as they've switch strategy completely, leaving you in the dust. And your teammates petition the server admin to ban you for being such a goddamn noob. So you end up actually regressing in skill, because you are unable to locate opponents capable of giving you a challenge, yet still remaining beatable - ie opponents of more or less equal skill. Leaving you sucking harder and harder every time you play the game.

Of course, that leads to me not playing online games. Which leads to me sucking at them even more, because I don't play them, which leads to such a negative experience every time I try to play them that I give up.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Has anyone else beaten it on Impossible/Expert yet? It's incredibly crazy, and at certain points you'll want to kill your teammates - or you will actually kill your teammates in the safe room a couple of times to release anger, then hit a hot streak where you find level two weapons, gobs of molotovs and pipe bombs, and a tank and witch at the same time. Ouch.

But it's otherworldly to make it through the level, to see all of your hard work pay off in beating the demo on Impossible - only to realize you have 3 more stages to go >>

Torwegia

Postby Torwegia » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:07 am UTC

The demo is really fun, i have managed to get through expert a few time with my friends. Witches and tanks are evil

Return to “Gaming”