If you could combine two(or more) games

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

JayDee

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Postby JayDee » Fri May 14, 2010 10:59 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Part of X-Com's charm is not just the horrifically hard battles, but base management as well. And research and manufacturing.. and keeping all those nations happy with your progress (Or doing what I do, and say FU America, Mexico and Canada, deal with your own shit while I cover everyone else on the planet).
Mmm. I did think before I posted, if maybe what I was thinking of was more, say, Master of Magic than X-Com like. What I'm thinking of would probably have battles with armies instead of (or in addition to) the tactical battles with a small squad. Or the scenario and setting would be twerked so that you had something that fits. Where tactical choices make all the differences, and where what tech you have researched makes all the other differences.

My scribbled notes (I was bored in class) change the funding side of things a bit. You have a bunch of fantasy kingdoms, which have varying levels of belief in the cause you are fighting (ancient evil re-awakening in a fantasy setting, as opposed to aliens invading and causing shenanigans in X-Com). Said kingdoms have their own issues and petty wars, and funding would be dependent on your satisfying both of these things.

Base building I have a harder time just fitting into a different setting. I can see a resource management game on a different level, though. Probably tied closer into which kingdoms are funding / supporting you ('cause plain dollar based support is boring. If you want to keep fielding cavalry, you better keep the country that provides the horses happy.)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

Base Building/Fortress Building - it's all somewhat the same. You'd need certain buildings to support certain troop-types, ter'angreal, sa'angreal and angreal storage facilities, ter'angreal research and manufacturing facilities, and so on. It wouldn't be an exact 1-1 translation of X-Com to Wheel of Time buildings, of course, but you could do something with it, I think.

Especially when it comes time to fight off the inevitable sieges. I'd assume, though, that your generic troops would be in the tens or more (like Scientists and Engineers) and your Channelers would be more like Soldiers (in that you'd just have a handful in each base, if that) Basically a reverse to how X-Com does it - your channelers being superweapons on the battlefield, but almost if not more useful back in the base researching and manufacturing new toys.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 14, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

See, Lords of Magic did the balance guys out in the field versus research, and it was annoying in the most horrible way. You had three types of 'heroes'(standard warrior, mage, thief) that could lead armies of all sorts of units. They made it so that if you stuck your hero in your main base, he would train new units, giving them more experience. There were lots of problems with this. 1) It means that your hero is not gaining new experience, 2) with the required time to get him anywhere, it meant you crippled your combat options, and 3) it meant that instead of having a good hero, you had a bunch of crappy ones.

LoM was a broken game though. You had lvl 20 dungeons next to level 1 dungeons. If you lost an experienced hero it was crippling to your war effort. Too much time was spent wandering. You had to search around to find low level dungeons to beat, because if you toss the dice on a harder one, the loss of experienced troops was devastating. Combat was terrible. ...Ok, so to stop ranting:

I like the idea. I would love to try a game like you're describing.

JayDee wrote:
My scribbled notes (I was bored in class) change the funding side of things a bit. You have a bunch of fantasy kingdoms, which have varying levels of belief in the cause you are fighting (ancient evil re-awakening in a fantasy setting, as opposed to aliens invading and causing shenanigans in X-Com). Said kingdoms have their own issues and petty wars, and funding would be dependent on your satisfying both of these things.

Base building I have a harder time just fitting into a different setting. I can see a resource management game on a different level, though. Probably tied closer into which kingdoms are funding / supporting you ('cause plain dollar based support is boring. If you want to keep fielding cavalry, you better keep the country that provides the horses happy.)

Sounds a bit like Wardens from Dragon Age , combined with Lords of the Realm 2 combat, with maybe some Civ resource handling? Or maybe a Caesar like base/town building?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 14, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

Yeah, I figure that if you have a unit that can gain experience and you've put them in a base to do non-combat related tasks, they should still gain experience. Maybe it'll be a level 20 researcher, but if they're prototyping new weapon systems, one would assume that.. well, if the rank and file troop benefits from their research, and say, deals 10-15 damage, the prototype-using hero would deal 1-20 damage, or something to reflect the unpredictable but more powerful nature of the prototype. Once it's finalized, the damage for the rank and file troop would extend to 15-20, and the prototype hero would be at 1-30 or something.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon May 17, 2010 2:36 am UTC

Smash Bros. + the entire Sonic Team rogues' gallery

Sure adding Sonic to Brawl was cool, but surely it's just a matter of time before Sega realises that this is the one "Mario team" game they haven't copied (besides Golf, and really who wants to see that?). Watch as Aiai, Ulala and 50,000 random characters who appeared in a single Sonic game never to be mentioned again go head-to-head on a floating platform resembling Curien Mansion!
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Mon May 17, 2010 7:20 am UTC

ConMan wrote:Smash Bros. + the entire Sonic Team rogues' gallery

Sure adding Sonic to Brawl was cool, but surely it's just a matter of time before Sega realises that this is the one "Mario team" game they haven't copied (besides Golf, and really who wants to see that?). Watch as Aiai, Ulala and 50,000 random characters who appeared in a single Sonic game never to be mentioned again go head-to-head on a floating platform resembling Curien Mansion!

Or just have Smash Bros. expand and gradually consume the entire video game continuum....and then maybe movies, comic books, etc., too?

Side note: Rumor has it that they're considering putting Travis Touchdown in the next Smash Bros. game :shock:
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon May 17, 2010 8:12 am UTC

Eh, ever since I heard the idea from the Kingdom of Loathing radio show, back when I used to play that game, I've been holding out for the SSB game that includes Ryuta Kawashima's floating head, from Brain Age. I think it was Riff's idea, but I'm not sure, it's been a while.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

zerker2000

Postby zerker2000 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:31 am UTC

Sudoku + Portal

Just imagine it.
GENERATION -705 - 991i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
ImageDragon Thingie! Image

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue May 18, 2010 4:45 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:
ConMan wrote:Smash Bros. + the entire Sonic Team rogues' gallery

Or just have Smash Bros. expand and gradually consume the entire video game continuum....and then maybe movies, comic books, etc., too?

Side note: Rumor has it that they're considering putting Travis Touchdown in the next Smash Bros. game :shock:

Well, given that SSBB includes both Sega and Konami characters, it would be interesting first to see which representatives of those two companies could join in. I've already mentioned several of the Sega characters I'd like to see, but a head-to-head between Mr Game and Watch and the Rabbits from Project Rub would be amusing, too. For Konami I'm thinking Contra, I'm thinking Psycho Mantis, I'm thinking Pyramid Head, I'm thinking DDR characters, with special Dance-machine-dropping attacks, I'm thinking
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 am UTC

Pokemon + Tales of Vesperia
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sun May 23, 2010 10:02 am UTC

Mew Scrolls IV: Pokèblivion

Yeah.

I'd like to see X-com in any form. With the politics and manufacturing side of things included of course.

Also: Sudoku + Portal makes my brain hurt.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue May 25, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

Portal + Shadow of the Colossus. That'd be so amazing, if not a little easy.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue May 25, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Portal + Shadow of the Colossus. That'd be so amazing, if not a little easy.

Not if it was one of the colossi using the portals.
Signatures are for chumps.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed May 26, 2010 12:12 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Portal + Shadow of the Colossus. That'd be so amazing, if not a little easy.

Not if it was one of the colossi using the portals.

You can't put portals on moving surfaces anyway, so you couldn't put them on the Colossus. So it'd require there to be another surface near/above the colossus to portal onto anyway.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed May 26, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

I was thinking of a colossi with the portal gun. Not a colossi covered in portals.

IN A VOLCANO!

Accountant13B

Postby Accountant13B » Thu May 27, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Someone said Devil May Cry + Viewtiful Joe + Legend of Zelda earlier. I think I cried tears of joy, until I realised that that game exists (minus the puzzles), and it's called No More Heroes. At that point, I ran out of tears. :')

Edit: Also, Some suggestions:

LoZ: Majora's Mask + Twilight Princess - Simple, but effective. Combine the epic scale and length of TP with the dark, insightful plot, risky and dynamic time system and general depth of MM? Hell yeah.

Assassin's Creed + Shadow of the Colossus + Prince Persia - again, simple but good. Broad, expansive, stylish, creative and a serious test of cunning and fortitude, and beautiful to boot. Run between the crumbling arcades of ancient ruins, swinging from balconies and rooftops and dancing between columns, carefully and gracefully taking out the hordes of foes that surround from all quarters as you draw nearer to you monstrous target. Mount the great beast and navigate it's cavernous body as the enemy emerges from nooks and crannies, seeking to tip you to your doom; stand on the crest of it's brow, and gape in awe for a few moments as you take in the breathtaking vista of the crumbling city below, before drawing your sword and slaying the titan itself.

Advance Wars: Dark Conflict + Dawn of War = Turn-based combat FOR CHAOS!!!!!
Weight is both a blessing and a curse.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 27, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

Actually... What I want is Prototype/Infamous/Maybe Assassin's Creed I dunno I never played it lol + Dark Heresy/Necromunda...

Specifically, I want to be a Inquisitor's agent dashing around like mad in a hive, using ropes or grapples or whatever to get up levels and high powered weaponry to take out cultists, genestealers, hivers who get in my way, and warpspawn before they get too out of control. Set it on Armageddon and you have a reason for Orkz to show up. I want to be able to dash in guns blazing, to take out the target from a great distance OR to be able to skulk around and stab the target(s) before they know I'm there.

And before it's all over I expect that some greater Daemon will breakthrough somewhere (not a Bloodthirster please not a Bloodthirser use a damn Unclean One or Lord of Change for a .. uh.. change) and all hell break loose and eventually have to "team" up with some Space Marines or something who are only slightly less likely to kill me for heresy as they are the chaosspawn.

michaelyw

Postby michaelyw » Thu May 27, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

Neverwinter Nights + Fluxx

Played online, it would force people to play flexible all-purpose characters because the rules keep changing! No more uber-builds that do only one (or two) things really really well. You'd be forced to deal with any possibility and adapt to changing conditions.

Accountant13B

Postby Accountant13B » Thu May 27, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

Second talon, your idea wins :)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 27, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

Fluxx works with pretty much any game. :P I'd combine it with Modern Warfare 2, just to piss off the hardcore gamers. ("Oh, somebody played a new rule. Now you can't move backwards!")

Kuji

Postby Kuji » Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

Super Smash Bros Melee + Power Stone 2 = Same Fighting goodness, but now with a 3D environment.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu May 27, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote: (not a Bloodthirster please not a Bloodthirser use a damn Unclean One or Lord of Change for a .. uh.. change)
A Keeper of Secrets would also be good because, to me, Slaanesh is by far the most f****** up of the Chaos Gods and the one that most terrifies me at the thought of ever having to meet and one of their daemons would make a great villain/enemy. If not for the fact that it would most likely end up raping/sexually assaulting anyone it could get it's hands on at some stage. Although, it could only come up once as a very obvious reference to Pyramid Head. Which might work if done right. MIGHT.
But still, I have to admit I'd prefer if Slaanesh's minions would be cut right out because you really couldn't realistically or canon-faithfully portray them without some rape/sexual assault. And rape/sexual assault in my games is a great way to make me not want to play them.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 27, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

Yeah. Violence of a non-specific mostly "bash their head in or stab them or shoot them or set them on fire or whatever" - OK.
Disease and other infections spreading like crazy - OK
CHANGE - OBAMA
Overindulgence of EVERYTHING - ... yeah, seems like it'd be okay at a glance, then you realize you're basically talking about Cenobites and it suddenly gets not okay really quicklike.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu May 27, 2010 10:26 pm UTC

Accountant13B wrote:Advance Wars: Dark Conflict + Dawn of War = Turn-based combat FOR CHAOS!!!!!
Nah, make it an earlier Advance Wars (slash Famicom Wars) that is less darkier and edgier. Cute and happy fun war games with Chaos.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri May 28, 2010 2:42 am UTC

Had a weird dream the other night, like a weird cross between Oblivion and Majora's Mask...basically, there was this one city, and it was caught in a time loop, but everyone KNEW it, and it resulted in weird interactions between people and even themselves...in particular I recall this one guy who was contracted as a sniper to assassinate himself (I forget if it was his past or future self, but by the weird logistics of time, it wouldn't have mattered to him, or affected him even if he killed his past self). The reason it was like Oblivion was that there were still a finite number of people in the world, and each was named, and that if you were to somehow kill all of them or remove all of them from the timestream, you end up with an empty city.
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 28, 2010 3:58 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
Accountant13B wrote:Advance Wars: Dark Conflict + Dawn of War = Turn-based combat FOR CHAOS!!!!!
Nah, make it an earlier Advance Wars (slash Famicom Wars) that is less darkier and edgier. Cute and happy fun war games with Chaos.
I feel the warp overtaking me! It is soooo kawaii!

Accountant13B

Postby Accountant13B » Fri May 28, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

Surely kawaii manga is the most pure and direct manifestation of decadence and depravity in the known modern media?

Oh wait, hentai. XP

Kuji

Postby Kuji » Fri May 28, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

Ogre Battle 64 + Tactics Ogre + Kingdom Hearts = Turn Based Strategy + RPG + Explosion of characters and possibilities

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri May 28, 2010 11:32 pm UTC

Accountant13B wrote:Surely kawaii manga is the most pure and direct manifestation of decadence and depravity in the known modern media?

Oh wait, hentai. XP
Don't worry, there are plenty of kawaii H-manga out there.

Um. How about: Pretty much any visual novel / dating sim combined with Middle Earth: The Wizards (LotR / Hobbit based CCG). Multiplayer (play-by-email?) visual novel where the players are trying to woo various factions in a fantasy land. Person who recruits the most in the end wins.

Actually, just a multiplayer eroge visual novel / dating sim sounds interesting. I wonder if those exist?

zerker2000

Postby zerker2000 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:51 am UTC

JayDee wrote:Actually, just a multiplayer eroge visual novel / dating sim sounds interesting. I wonder if those exist?
As in IMVU, or even Red Light Center?
GENERATION -705 - 991i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
ImageDragon Thingie! Image

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sat May 29, 2010 2:06 am UTC

Nah, these type of games (or these. I don't know my terminology rightly.) Like an illustrated Choose Your Own Adventure book, with multiple endings perhaps corresponding to dating one of the various members of the cast (with perhaps a harem ending too.) Hypothetical multiplayer meaning two PCs are new students at the high school or whatever the plot is.
Last edited by JayDee on Sat May 29, 2010 2:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat May 29, 2010 2:09 am UTC

Stratego + Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics/etc...

Alternatively, Stratego + Risk. You only have limited intelligence about the other players' armies.

Accountant13B

Postby Accountant13B » Sat May 29, 2010 8:03 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Nah, these type of games (or these. I don't know my terminology rightly.) Like an illustrated Choose Your Own Adventure book, with multiple endings perhaps corresponding to dating one of the various members of the cast (with perhaps a harem ending too.) Hypothetical multiplayer meaning two PCs are new students at the high school or whatever the plot is.

These sorts of games are similar in format to the Ace Attorney games, right? If so, then that idea is definitely ace ^_^

I would just love to play out the life of a fantasy lord or baron, dealing with intrigue in the royal court and dealing with crime and murders amongst the peasantry etc. ala Phoenix Wright. Maybe a possible ending would be you ascending to the throne?

Cmebeh

Postby Cmebeh » Mon May 31, 2010 2:25 am UTC

Shenmue + Grand theft auto = best game ever
Majoras Mask + Fable = (as a zelda game) Kill the stupid townsfolk till you become fierce deity
Smash bros 64 + Final fantasy V, VI, VII, VIII
Smash bros 64 - current characters + all pokemon = pokemon smash
Cmebeh wrote:LOL you computer scientists; isn't it obvious? P = NP is undecidable à la continuum hypothesis

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Mon May 31, 2010 3:31 am UTC

Cmebeh wrote:Smash bros 64 - current characters + all pokemon = pokemon smash

I'd buy it if they programmed it to just be a fighter version of the original games with all of the moves/stats intact.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon May 31, 2010 9:31 am UTC

A pseudo realistic war game, Total War style in which you may customize your units with the same level of freedom as in Master of Orion 1 or 2.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon May 31, 2010 10:39 am UTC

How do you customise them? Frankenstein style?

That could make for an interesting game, one where the post-battle field and all it's corpses are a resource. A resource for more than just creating hordes of undead, which I guess happens already.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon May 31, 2010 11:39 am UTC

Lol. I was more thinking of deciding how many men, of what social background, what they are equipped with, etc.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Mon May 31, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

I would like to see an open world pokemon game where you actually battle in real time.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Accountant13B

Postby Accountant13B » Mon May 31, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:I would like to see an open world pokemon game where you actually battle in real time.

Agreed. To go with the theme of the topic, Pokemon + Okami (since you play as an animal, which I presume you would do in such a pokemon game)? Pokemon + Zelda? What combination would achieve that?

Return to “Gaming”