Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CogDissident

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby CogDissident » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:38 am UTC

Humm, the game wasn't maelstrom. It had persistant upgrades you could buy at the store, though the graphics were very similar.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

FACM, hendusoone: definitely not Master Blaster, although I did really enjoy that game, too. Even though I never did finish that last damn level.

I know it wasn't a tank. It was definitely some sort of space ship, and it scrolled top-bottom for sure. And I think, maybe, most bosses were fought while in spaceship, as opposed to when on land.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:56 am UTC

Blood Money?
Battle Squadron?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:20 am UTC

dbsmith wrote:Blood Money?
Battle Squadron?

I don't think so. Unless my search-fu is really weak, the only results I could find for those weren't made for Nintendo. And I know it was on Nintendo. Now that I'm actively trying to remember this damn game, it's bugging me even more. Gah!

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:28 am UTC

I'm almost starting to suspect I've dreamed this, but;

* Background: It was a commodore 64 game, deep down in one of my pirated games tapes (I buy my games nowadays, though..). The game started with a tiny boat racing along an underground river below some big building, landing on a shore, and three or four characters exiting it, then you had to do.. SOMETHING.. I don't remember what.
* Year: Around 1990, I'd say.
* Perspective: 2d sideview, with fairly small sprites. You could see several (5-6) stories of the building at the same time.
* Art style: Very pixel, I remember thinking the water and shore you started on looked nice. There was full screen scrolling, I think.
* Environment: Modern, or possibly futuristic. There were guards and/or civilians walking around. There might have been a bridge to the left (or right?) of the screen you started in. You controlled four (or three?) different characters.
* Mood: It felt exciting, like a spy movie. Modern feel, sneaky. Possibly some puzzle elements.
* Genre: Action adventure? Sneak 'em up?
* Gameplay: You controlled four or three characters with the joystick, could move up/down stairs and walk around, possibly talk to guards. I do believe there was some shooting involved, but I'm not sure. There were doors and possibly computers or panels of some kind.

Now that I think back, it kind of reminds me of Lost Vikings, Impossible Mission, Art of Theft, and slightly of Infiltrator

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

Mission Impossible for the NES? Its not commodore 64, but it IS the right time period, and sounds like the same thing.

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

No, that one is top down.. the one I'm thinking of is from the side.
Thanks, though. =)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:11 am UTC

* Background: James Bond top-down vertical scrolling game
* Year: 1990
* Perspective: Top down vertical shooter, like Xenon
* Art style: Explosive and pixellated
* Environment: outdoors; rivers and roads, with stunt-jumps
* Mood: Basic bright sprites and explosions, boats that flew over harbours, etc. It was a campy licensed James Bond game
* Genre: shoot 'em up, in vehicles.
* Gameplay: Action shoot 'em up.

Licence to Kill! Thanks, wikilinks. I sleep now, content.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:* Background: I know it was on NES. I don't know exactly how old I was, but it was close 20 years ago for sure. My neighbor had it (I think this was before I owned a Nintendo).
* Year: As above, about 20 years ago
* Perspective: There were 2 "phases". One was some sort of spaceship that scrolled top->bottom. The other was overhead when your character would be on a planet, or something, and you could go around shooting things.
* Art style: No clue. Seemed on par to other Nintendo games I remember playing.
* Environment: Was definitely Sci-Fi. I don't remember any specific enemies or bosses.
* Mood: Don't remember anything about this either -- I don't even remember the plot.
* Genre: Definitely huge portions were action, but there was definitely some puzzle solving involved, but only when you were running around on-land (as opposed to being in spaceship)
* Gameplay: Answered mostly above. No stats/levels as I remember. Don't remember any specific puzzles, but I know they were there. Was only one character that was controlled.

I remember really enjoying this game as a kid, and I often picture it, but I've never been able to remember what the hell game it was. And I realize that's next-to-no information I've given and that there's probably more than one game that fits what I've been able to piece together.

I got motivated and started going through the list of NES games on Wikipedia and I finally found the game I was looking for! The Guardian Legend. Yay!

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

I never played the game so the details I have a very minimal but, I remember seeing it played.

You were fighting evil monsters (or something) off, and you had a sanity meter thingy which would cause things like your head appearing to fall off happening if it got too high, or pretended to disconnect controllers.

I think it was a gamecube game.

Edit- Etnernal darkness, google searching came through in the end.

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

fersrs wrote:*Background: played it on a PC, a year or so ago, it was a free thing that you didn't have to download
* Year: I think it came out in 2007 as well
* Perspective: 2D, but not low-quality
* Art style: um... not 8 bit, but not amazing
* Environment: It was in a forest-y environment, sometimes next to a marsh, sometimes next to a volcano though
* Mood: pretty cheerful, not memorably eye-searingly bright colors
* Genre: single player, you got to play god pretty much.
* Gameplay: The goal of the game was to raise a healthy society of these little blobs. The babies were helpless and had to be protected, but the others could do some stuff. You could train an adult blob to be a warrior to defend the little village, but the warriors often attacked the normal blobs. The warriors had to protect against these crab things that killed off some of them. You could move each one around with your mouse to attack, defend, set into school etc. I think the normal blobs gathered food, but I'm not sure.

I remember it being really fun to play also

This?

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Apologies for double-post of the same subject, but I said I had found it and that it was maelstrom, but it was exactly like maelstrom except that you get blue/green gems when you kill asteroids, and spend them to level up your ship. Anyone know this game?

(reposted details for reference)
Background: Was on the Mac, probably (90% sure)
* Year: 1995 era, maybe up to 2000, but definately not newer than that
* Perspective: 2D, Escape velocity 1 quality
* Art style: pre-rendered 3d
* Environment: single-screen asteroids
* Mood: non-realistic, more of an arcade-style game that knows its an arcade-style game
* Genre: asteroids clone
* Gameplay: asteroids clone, with persistant upgrades, ship insurance, and a 2player mode (i think)

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Draaglom wrote:
fersrs wrote:[game description]

This?

:shock:
Yaaaay! Thats the one

sleepygamer
More metal than thou

Postby sleepygamer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:45 am UTC

* Background: PS1 game, probably on PC as well.
* Year: Mid to late 90's.
* Perspective: Umm... can't remember too well...
* Art style: 3D... that's about all I can remember
* Environment: The world, essentially!
* Mood: I think it was kinda... dark. Ish. It reacted to how you played. I think.
* Genre: God simulator. Like SimCity, but on a world scale. Ish.
* Gameplay: You control the world, if I remember correctly.

Other stuff: All I can really remember is that it probably had "Part: something" in the title, and I think the game began with a P.

Yeah. It's bugging me now.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 am UTC

?
sleepygamer wrote:Horrifically bad memory Jibbajabba

... Populous:The Begining?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Populous wasn't on a "world scale", and was nothing like Sim City at all, though. But that's what I thought of as well, going by what he said about the name.

sleepygamer
More metal than thou

Postby sleepygamer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:05 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:?
sleepygamer wrote:Horrifically bad memory Jibbajabba

... Populous:The Begining?

Damn, you're good at this!

That's the one!

Good game too. :D

Cheers!

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:08 am UTC

... That was the worst possible description you could have given.

sleepygamer
More metal than thou

Postby sleepygamer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:... That was the worst possible description you could have given.

Look, I played the game about 10 years ago. An ADD riddled brain is not the best place to keep knowledge!

Hell, I only remember being able to see the world, and fighting some tribes and stuff!

Actually... I think the worst description I could have given would have been:

"Err, yeah... so there's this game, and in the end, it turns out that you're God."

:D

dracharys

Postby dracharys » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 am UTC

* Background: PC game along the lines of Solitaire or Minesweeper in that I think it came with the computer.
* Year: 1993-1995, it was on windows 3.0 but my PC was second-hand.
* Perspective: 3D-ish, it was isometric but you could view it from different preset angles.
* Gameplay: You were given a pyramid of tiles and you had to find ones with matching symbols then click on them to make them disappear.
* Art style: The little titles had oriental symbols on them (At least I thought they were oriental, I was pretty young).
* Environment: All you had was the little pyramid of tiles and a plain background, no other environment.
* Genre: Puzzle
When you see the robot, drink!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:... That was the worst possible description you could have given.

If sleepy hadn't remembered that it started with a P and I hadn't remembered that they put the new, shitty Populous on the PS1 as well, I'd have had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

dracharys wrote:* Background: PC game along the lines of Solitaire or Minesweeper in that I think it came with the computer.
* Perspective: 3D-ish, it was isometric but you could view it from different preset angles.
* Gameplay: You were given a pyramid of tiles and you had to find ones with matching symbols then click on them to make them disappear.
* Art style: The little titles had oriental symbols on them (At least I thought they were oriental, I was pretty young).
* Environment: All you had was the little pyramid of tiles and a plain background, no other environment.

You're describing a computerized version of Majong. Given the number of version I've played, it's going to be impossible to narrow down the specific one you're talking about, but.. if you google Majong, that'll get you some flash versions or something. A-like so
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

dracharys

Postby dracharys » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:31 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
dracharys wrote:* Background: PC game along the lines of Solitaire or Minesweeper in that I think it came with the computer.

You're describing a computerized version of Majong. Given the number of version I've played, it's going to be impossible to narrow down the specific one you're talking about, but.. if you google Majong, that'll get you some flash versions or something. A-like so

That's definitely it, thank you.
Fixed your tags -ST
When you see the robot, drink!

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:05 am UTC

* Background: PC game. A friend of mine got it with his mid-90s Win95 Gateway computer. It was a CD-ROM game, and came in a little CD flipbook with a few other programs and games.
* Year: Mid-90s.
* Perspective: Third person, generally fixed camera I think. Had some first-person elements.
* Art style: 3D, about as realistic as they could make it mid-90s
* Environment: Science fiction
* Mood: Blow stuff up, stay alive
* Genre: Action/Adventure/Some Puzzle
* Gameplay: I really don't remember terribly much about this game, other that in the first level, you're captured at some base at sea. You escape, and steal this high-tech jet, but before you can fly it you have to disable the bomb strapped to the bottom by toggling a few switches. Failure to disable the bomb resulted in a cinematic of the entire sea-base exploding. Success resulted in a cinematic of you flying away from the sea-base in the jet. Another level I think you're flying this jet along a highway, through a tunnel, but I'm not too sure on this - I may be blending it with another game.

EDIT: Found it, on Aug 29, 2013. Purely by chance. Cyberia
Last edited by hendusoone on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:44 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Kylzer911

Postby Kylzer911 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:21 am UTC

OK I REALY NEED HELP PEOPLE PLEASE!

* Background: Played on an old macintosh when i was young..
You were this guy (maybe had a big chin and a gun) and you went around loads of candy worlds, possibly collecting jellies and the sorts... possibly a cheeky voice on the guy..
* Year: mid 90's
* Perspective: 2d , top down view..
* Art style: cell shaded..?
* Environment: Candy worlds and forests
* Mood:very cheerful lots of colour
* Genre: adventure/platform..
* Gameplay: very enjoyable, light hearted

would meen a lot if someone could help thanks!

Rey

Postby Rey » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
dracharys wrote: ...

There is a good chance the one dracharys played was Taipei from the Windows Entertainment Pack. http://www.mobygames.com/game/taipei
It was on la lot of computers I used back then.
The revolution will be televised in HD,
for the children!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Ooh, I thought of one.

* Background: PC game. My brother showed up with it one day. There wasn't any packaging besides the little paper/plastic case.
* Perspective: Third person.
* Art style: 3D, maybe a little stylized.
* Environment: Fantasy. The gameplay takes place in various realms of various deities.
* Mood: I think it was a little sarcastic, but got darker as the game progressed.
* Genre: Real time strategy, of sorts. fantasy.
* Gameplay: Right, at the beginning of a level, there's a cutscene (taking place in the meeting place of a pantheon of gods) that explains some of the plot, and then the various deities argue for a little while. You then choose which deity you want to serve in the following mission (at first all are available, but it narrows down some). You then start said mission.
basically, you run around and summon creatures which you control. To summon the creatures you must get souls, which are gathered from either slain civilians or enemies. Most creatures are for attacking purposes, but there's one specific type that goes around collecting souls from dead enemies. I think you can cast some spells too.
Generally the goal of a mission is to do battle with a rival character with similar powers.

The pantheon of gods was the most memorable aspect. I remember specifically an air god (who looked like a balloon), an earth god, an industry god, and a god of death, but there were more. Each had their own personalities.
I think the plot had something to do with, like a gate, or a portal or something...

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am UTC

I do believe that's Sacrifice, made by Shiny Entertainment.
Added a link, corrected the spelling - ST

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:I do believe that's Sacrifice, made by Shiny Entertainment.
Added a link, corrected the spelling - ST

Ah, thank you. That's it exactly.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:14 am UTC

I got motivated and started going through the list of NES games on Wikipedia and I finally found the game I was looking for! The Guardian Legend. Yay![/quote]

That game was the coolest!

Anyway...

*Background: 99% sure it was NES
* Year: Mid 90s
* Perspective: Top down shooter
* Art style: Very similar to 1942 and many other arcade shooters like it
* Environment: Mainly cityscapes, usually close to water (weird)
* Mood: Boomy
* Genre: Action shooter
* Gameplay: Ive been looking for this game for an extremely long time and im almost convinced i made it up. It was basically 1942 only with a motorcycle. Any extra weapon bonuses you picked up were in the form of gun-laden side cars that did a myriad of things. Almost everything in this game was destructible, and I remember very clearly fighting a big battleship on the first level ish.

FACM

Postby FACM » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:42 am UTC

That one sounds familiar, but I can't think of the name either.

Terebrant

Postby Terebrant » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote:Apologies for double-post of the same subject, but I said I had found it and that it was maelstrom, but it was exactly like maelstrom except that you get blue/green gems when you kill asteroids, and spend them to level up your ship. Anyone know this game?

From your description, I think this might be Asterax.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Terebrant wrote:From your description, I think this might be Asterax.

Thanks, that was exactly it. Now to find a windows port of it...

zero01

Postby zero01 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:40 am UTC

Hi.

I've wanted to replay this game for years now but could never remember what it was called.

Background/Year: Played this game on a Mac in elementary school, between 1994-1996.
Perspective: It was a top-down puzzle/timing based game.
Art Style: Sprite-based, I think. It's been a while.
Environment: There were 100 levels, all set in a jungle/savannah. Each level was the size of the screen (ie: you could see all elements of the level at once). There were animals, such as rhinos and gazelles, which followed fixed paths and had to be avoided, and monsters like fire and air elementals, which shot flames or blew air at you as you went by. There were no bosses.
Mood: Definitely cheerful (as it was aimed toward 6-8 year olds)
Genre: Puzzle / timing. The closest thing I can think to compare it to are some of the timing or block puzzles in the top-down Zelda games (minus the inventory and items).
Story: This is probably the most helpful (unique) thing I can remember. You played as a heroic tribal villager who was sent by an old man to investigate why the river was flooding the village. After clearing all 100 levels, a short video played in which this villager climbs a cliff and turns off a giant faucet (which was why the river was flooding...).

Any thoughts would be appreciated ! Thanks !

poleboy

Postby poleboy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:26 am UTC

NathanielJ wrote:I played this game somewhere around the early to mid 1990's (I think), and it was definitely on either NES or SNES (though I'm leaning much more towards NES than SNES, since I know the SNES library quite well and I think it was earlier than that). The reason I remember the game actually is because I was playing it when that dude's face melts off in Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom and I was scarred for life ;) (I was quite young at the time). As far as the game goes though, it was a sidescroller (2D of course) but I feel like it was more of an adventure game (along the lines of Zelda 2, perhaps). I remember there being colourful "bubbles" all around the place in a town or something like that.

I'm thinking Faxanadu. The bit about bubbles also reminds me of Terranigma for the SNES.

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:02 am UTC

* Background: I played this game when I was around the age of 5 or 6, so this was around 1997. It was on my dad's window's 97 computer. This game was a big part of my child hood, I really liked it. The Simplicity stuck out the most, it was 2D, and Bird's eye view.
* Perspective: 2D, bird's eye view, it was a bunch of tiles, I think, and you had a bunch of little bricks which were your armies. Four Players started at all 4 corners of the field (all of it was available to see at the start of the game). Your men were tanks, planes and ships, and they were just colored bricks.
* Art style: As said before, pretty simple. There was an island in the middle which was made of green tiles.
* Environment: The game was fairly simple, I don't think it had a story line. I THINK the game was called War, but I cant find it anywhere. There was an explosion special effect that stuck out in my brain.
* Mood: It was a strategy game, turn based. Simple RGB colours.
* Genre: Strategy.
* Gameplay: Actiony Turn-based gameplay. Not sure on levels. Remember any puzzles? The Game was pretty simple, I think you just booted it up and played.

Any help could help, Ive been looking for this game for years.
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:* Background: A SNES RPG about the crew of a starship. Involved exploring the surfaces of planets in suits of powered armour.
* Year: Probably made before '95
* Perspective: 2D, Tile-based
* Art style: Sprites, not too elaborate.
* Environment: Varried.
* Mood: Uncertain
* Genre: As said before, RPG
* Gameplay: Stuff happens on ship -> Organize/equip a part of 3 -> Explore planet/dungeon until stuff is found -> Repeat

Never actually played on the console, just had a ROM of it some time ago.

Found this one: Cyber Knight

Shaitan Apistos

Postby Shaitan Apistos » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:12 am UTC

Background: PC game, freeware?
* Year: Early 2000's late 90's
* Perspective: 2D, top down
* Art style: Sprite based
* Environment: The first level was definitely medieval themed, I remember a guy with a horned helmet, later levels eventually had other themes though... kinda like how populous had different themes.
* Genre: Strategy/rpg/puzzle?
* Gameplay: The gist of it was you had like a castle or something, which would spit out men, possibly of it's own accord. These men may or may not have had a strength value, which when they ran over each other they would possibly join and become just one guy, but with a higher strength value, and at certain values the sprite would change to a different graphic to reflect that it was more powerful.

I remember in the first level there were like trees (with a round shape, lolipop style) separating you from your enemy that you could clear out when you wanted to go fight and that I would just let my guys build up a ton before i opened it up and steamrolled them. Or maybe there was a small path through the trees already that I would block... You could build or take away bridges to let your guys through in later levels. I'm not even sure if you had control of the actual men or if it was all controlled by allowing them to follow the path they naturally wanted to follow or blocking them until you were ready.

I really, really want to find this game, I periodically search on the internet but my google skills are epic fail with this one.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:05 am UTC

Durinthal wrote:New request: The game I'm thinking of is an older (before 2002) PC turn-based strategy game where each turn was either a season or a year. It was medieval fantasy in style and and I believe you had to build up different improvements around your town, like mines or farms.

I know it's not any of the Heroes of Might and Magic or Lords of the Realm titles, and I don't think it's a Warlords title. That's not much to go on, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Castles II: Siege and Conquest maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castles_II ... d_Conquest

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

* Background: Super Nintendo.
* Year: mid 90's
* Perspective: 2d, standard platforming view
* Art style: Cartoony, I think
* Environment: Mostly industrial
* Mood: Lighthearted
* Genre: Platformer/Puzzle
* Gameplay: You're an ant, and you set up dominoes in an order so that you knock them all down. Dominoes do different things. There was ONLY ONE SONG.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

telcontar42 wrote:
Durinthal wrote:New request: The game I'm thinking of is an older (before 2002) PC turn-based strategy game where each turn was either a season or a year. It was medieval fantasy in style and and I believe you had to build up different improvements around your town, like mines or farms.

I know it's not any of the Heroes of Might and Magic or Lords of the Realm titles, and I don't think it's a Warlords title. That's not much to go on, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Castles II: Siege and Conquest maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castles_II ... d_Conquest

Unfortunately, no. The castle part is more complex than the game I'm thinking of and the graphics aren't as good, going by the screenshots.

Return to “Gaming”