Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

benjhuey

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby benjhuey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

OK, there are two games that a friend of mine owned, but can't remember the name of either one. They were both for the original Xbox and both largely involved magic of sorts. They were very similar (as far as I could tell; I didn't play much of either).

The first was very dark, and you controlled both your human character and a magical orb (separately with each thumb pad; sort of like geometry wars) that would direct your attacks. You kind of had an overhead view of the playing field. There where all sorts of elements; light, dark, fire, ice, possibly others. Each element had multiple attacks which could be upgraded throughout the game. Most of the enemies where color coordinated as well (e.g. red enemies wouldn't take damage from fire). I believe there was a sequel.

The second also had elements and enemies like the first, but most of the attacking was melee. The view was third person from a few feet behind the character. There was a lot less fighting and a lot more environmental interaction (going to point A to open a door at point B). The opening sequence had something to do with elemental shields that were scattered all over (what I assume was) this island because the protagonist wanted their power (or something). Other that, there was a whirlpool that would suck you down if swam too close to it. It was off the shore of the "island." There may have been large robotic apes and flying snails. :)

These are just the few bits and pieces that I can remember. I didn't really care for either of them (I didn't think they were very good game-play wise), but was interested if anyone could guess them.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Hangar

Postby Hangar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:40 am UTC

I have another one, very sketchy in my memory, so I may be wrong on these details. It was a spy game on Mac, late '80s or early '90s. It was a real-time black and white first or third-person shooter, everything drawn with outlines. It was 3d if I recall correctly, but that seems rather unlikely for the time period. I can remember my dad firing a gun at the first bad guy, and he kept getting killed.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

The Skoot wrote:
Aradae wrote:It's not castlevania.

It's a ninja game. I think the second stage had a part where you had to jump on logs in a waterfall.

The Revenge of Shinobi?

The guy had a sword for a hand on the box art, and I seem to remember waterfall logs in conjunction with that game.

Yes, exactly :D
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

tigergrrrl

Desperately seeking PC game title

Postby tigergrrrl » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

I am trying to figure out the name of this PC game I was subjected to play in elementary school. It supposedly had "educational" purposes, but it was creepy as hell. I am 21 and my sister is 19, and we both played it (so that puts it at release in mid 90s.) Here is what I remember of the details, if anyone has any idea I would be eternally grateful!

The plotline is you are this person who has comes to an island where there is a creepy carnival going on. You play this game where you throw a ball at a stack of cans or something, and then you get turned into a doll. You have to stay on the island and figure out these puzzles to get further; for example there is this creepy hobo looking guy who you have to figure out a number combination to get past. Also, there is this eerie flute music throughout the game that I think Fabulous sampled in some of his music recently. That, however, is neither here nor there.

My sister and I have reminisced rather uneasily about this game for yeaars now!! If anyone has an inkling as to what I am referring to, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

there's this uh, mid 90s game (I want to say like 1996 but could be way off) that had a dyno backround (kinda like a large raptor/small t-rex) as a start screen and had this very distinctive music. I think the game was a space game and it definately wasn't turoc. The music was this like ascending single notes spaced out almost pentatonically and it was very hypnotic. I had a demo of the game form PC gamer I think and the music has stuck with me but for the life of me I cannot remember enough to identify the game. I'd love to hear that tune again.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Sideshooter? 3rd Person Shooter? Adventure game? RPG? Multiplayer that you recall?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ended

Postby Ended » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

A fairly old (early to mid 90s) game for PC, turn-based, sort of roleplaying/D&D style. Isometric view I think. The way I played it was to hotseat with a few friends, and you could each control your own character. At the end of the dungeon level you could upgrade your weapons and stuff at an armoury. When you entered a new room, one person could select a 'search for treasure' command.

I think the fighting aspect was fairly minimal, sort of like "You encounter a dragon, and slay it. You lose 50 hp", but I'm not sure.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

Heroquest?

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Sideshooter? 3rd Person Shooter? Adventure game? RPG? Multiplayer that you recall?

not at all although it was probably something like adventure/strategy/RTS or somesuch.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Ended

Postby Ended » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Heroquest?

Holy powers of game detection, Batman!

Thank you! Although the game seems rather less gripping now than it did to an eight-year-old.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Hangar

Postby Hangar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Maybe this will help you fill in needed info. In order of what you probably remember best.
  • Background: Where did you play it? When? What system was it on? Why do you remember it? What sticks out at you about it?
  • Perspective: 3D? 2D? 2.5D? Isometric? Tile-based?
  • Art style: Cell shaded? Sprite-based? Foggy? Particular special effects you remember? Any movie sequences you remember?
  • Environment: What sort of places were you in? Times? What specific types of monsters did you fight? Bosses? Who was the protagonist? Any NPCs you remember? Dialog? Weapons? Remember dying a lot? What killed you?
  • Mood: Dark? Cheerful and bright (like Mario)? Horror? Board-game strategic? Hack and slash? Adventure?
  • Genre: Multiplayer? Shooter? Action? Adventure? RPG? Arcade? Puzzle-based? Strategy? RTS? Text adventure?
  • Gameplay: Action? Turn-based? Did you have stats/levels? Remember any puzzles? What buttons did you press to control the protagonist?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:57 am UTC

Ended wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Heroquest?

Holy powers of game detection, Batman! Thank you! Although the game seems rather less gripping now than it did to an eight-year-old.

Honestly, the description sounded exactly like the boardgame, and while I knew there was a computer game based on it, I never did play it... still, Heroquest (the board game at least, and given it's depth I'll assume the computer game replicated it almost perfectly) is basically D&D with training wheels.
mosc wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Sideshooter? 3rd Person Shooter? Adventure game? RPG? Multiplayer that you recall?

not at all although it was probably something like adventure/strategy/RTS or somesuch.

Adventure strategy RTS... so, like an isometric or top-down gamestyle but maybe turn based?

Also, the template is a wonderful idea, Hanger. Template modified and added to the OP

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

OK, I have one that I'd like to know.

I played this game somewhere around the early to mid 1990's (I think), and it was definitely on either NES or SNES (though I'm leaning much more towards NES than SNES, since I know the SNES library quite well and I think it was earlier than that). The reason I remember the game actually is because I was playing it when that dude's face melts off in Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom and I was scarred for life ;) (I was quite young at the time). As far as the game goes though, it was a sidescroller (2D of course) but I feel like it was more of an adventure game (along the lines of Zelda 2, perhaps). I remember there being colourful "bubbles" all around the place in a town or something like that.

That's about all I can remember, methinks :/
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
mosc wrote:

Adventure strategy RTS... so, like an isometric or top-down gamestyle but maybe turn based?

I have literally NO memory of the game itself

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:07 am UTC

* Background: I think it was on the dreamcast. Could be wrong. I remember it had like four discs.
* Year: I remember I lived in my old house so I'd say in the early 2000's maybe, very very late 90's.
* Perspective: First person I think.
* Art style: Just normal 3d as far as I remember. I remember the beginning sequence. You're a passenger on a plane, terrorists jack it. I remember that there's a passenger who's about to fight back and he's crouching behind his seat, holding a pistol. As wankery as this might sound I also remember that a woman wearing only a bath towel turns into a giant monster thing. Weird fucking game.
* Environment: It was mostly snowy and mountainous as far as I can recall. I think you explore a ski lodge later. I remember this black woman who survived the crash with you. She gives you the info on a grill thing that cooks and cleans food for you. You end up shooting rabbits and shoot for food.
* Mood: It was dark, and kinda mysterious.
* Genre: Shooter and survival horror.
* Gameplay: When you went into combat I think you aimed mostly by moving a cursor around the screen and shooting, almost like a light-gun shooter give or take the actual light-gun.

For some reason, this smell that I have stuck in my nose really makes me think of that game. It's been driving me crazy. Thanks for helping.

Edit Button. Use it. Also, use the report feature to notify a moderator to merge your post with another thread should you realize it exists. In addition, if no one has replied to your topic or it's the last post in a thread, you can press the X icon to delete your post. If yours is the only post, the entire topic will be deleted. The more you know... - ST
Last edited by Lt Greatsocks on Thu May 01, 2008 12:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:31 am UTC

It was a 3d mecha fighting game, it started as a arcade game in late 90's, and was then ported to dreamcast. One of the robots was named raiden.
This has been bugging me, and the sad thing is that I still have one of the action figures.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:32 am UTC

Picture of your mecha thing? That might help us come up with something.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:35 am UTC

* Background: A SNES RPG about the crew of a starship. Involved exploring the surfaces of planets in suits of powered armour.
* Year: Probably made before '95
* Perspective: 2D, Tile-based
* Art style: Sprites, not too elaborate.
* Environment: Varried.
* Mood: Uncertain
* Genre: As said before, RPG
* Gameplay: Stuff happens on ship -> Organize/equip a part of 3 -> Explore planet/dungeon until stuff is found -> Repeat

Never actually played on the console, just had a ROM of it some time ago.

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:* Background: A SNES RPG about the crew of a starship. Involved exploring the surfaces of planets in suits of powered armour.
* Year: Probably made before '95
* Perspective: 2D, Tile-based
* Art style: Sprites, not too elaborate.
* Environment: Varried.
* Mood: Uncertain
* Genre: As said before, RPG
* Gameplay: Stuff happens on ship -> Organize/equip a part of 3 -> Explore planet/dungeon until stuff is found -> Repeat

Never actually played on the console, just had a ROM of it some time ago.

Secret of the Stars? http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/secret-of-the-stars/screenshots
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:39 am UTC

No, that's not it.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Found it, it was called virtual on. I couldnt say that as a child (or remember it.) so I called it robot fighting game. Awsome.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Fahlain

Postby Fahlain » Fri May 30, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Okay, so I'm wandering aimlessly around the internet vaguely hoping someone can tell me the name of this game.

I remember playing it on my PC in the 90's sometime, but I'm super-sketchy on details. I do remember that it was an adventure-type game like the SpaceQuest series, in that you grab things with the cursor and have an inventory and must manipulate objects, etc etc.

It was set in the future, when space travel was available. You (the Hero) start the game in your apartment and have to leave for some reason. I can't remember why. Here's where some of the details get sketchier. I know that you wind up on a rocket, which somehow takes you to an abandoned spaceship, which contains multiple worlds within it. One world had dinosaurs in it. You had to climb in a tree and drop fruit on them. Somewhere on the ship was a robot thingy, which usually killed you if you encountered it.

Anyway, you go from world to world until you destroy the robot thingy and this is where I thought it got strange. Somehow you ended up on an alien planet, as a sort of zoo specimen. I only really remember something about a black hole (maybe?) and the fact that you had to go see a holographic lecture.

That's all I can really remember. I know there was bits of humor in it, and that it was rather Space Questy except you never saw the Hero. You just were him.

Truly hope someone can help! I desperately want to play that game again!

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Sat May 31, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Background=I played it at my house, it was rented. Some time in the early 2000's could be late 90's. Either on PS or PS2, I remember it because I played it for almost a day staight.
Perspective= It was partially 3-d, in between turns it was 3-d and during a turn it might have been either 2-d or 3-d.
Art style= I don't really remember, I do remember all the hexagons the characters stood on were green, most of the colors were dark.
Enviroment= You were on a green hexagonal patterned floor everything else is black.
Mood=All the colors were dark, and I have a dark feeling about the game.
Genre= Turn-based RPG, we also had guns. You had control of an army type thing, you attack another ones.
Gameplay= Pretty generic turn-based RPG. No puzzles, might have been levels, You didn't really choose the stats you went up, I think.

I am really sorry this probably could be hundreds of games :oops:. This has been something that has been bugging me for months.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Sat May 31, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

* Background: Definitely PC. Probably late 90s. I remember it because it was difficult as fuck (for a 6 to 9 year old) and pretty creepy.
* Perspective: 2D sidescrolling
* Art style: Cartoony but not too caricatured ... very similar visually and mechanically to The Curse of Monkey Island, but less silly.
* Environment: I think it might have jumped around in different time periods. There was at least one level in Egypt where you had to figure out what to do with some hieroglyphics and stuff (you could also go out and die of thirst/heat in the desert). There was another level with creepy gypsy ladies and stuff. One of the main characters - possibly the (or a) protagonist - was a displaced princess of some kind. But more of a Leia kind of princess, resourceful and stuff. Her mother was also controllable in some chapters and may have been kind of evil. It wasn't sugarcoated, you could die if you screwed up. Not screwing up generally involved solving a puzzle or finding the right item and doing the right interaction with it before something bad happened.

(there was one chapter where you were in a badly lit room or magic woman's wagon or something, and two people were fighting, and you had to grab something and use it to either kill one of them, or get them to stop fighting. I think I remember picking up a magic wand and accidentally killing myself with it.)

Now that I think about it, I think it was divided up into different "chapters", which you could select non-sequentially - without keeping different save files.

I don't remember what happened in the end, I never accomplished very much.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

FACM

Postby FACM » Sat May 31, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:* Background: Definitely PC. Probably late 90s. I remember it because it was difficult as fuck (for a 6 to 9 year old) and pretty creepy.
* Perspective: 2D sidescrolling
* Art style: Cartoony but not too caricatured ... very similar visually and mechanically to The Curse of Monkey Island, but less silly.
* Environment: I think it might have jumped around in different time periods. There was at least one level in Egypt where you had to figure out what to do with some hieroglyphics and stuff (you could also go out and die of thirst/heat in the desert). There was another level with creepy gypsy ladies and stuff. One of the main characters - possibly the (or a) protagonist - was a displaced princess of some kind. But more of a Leia kind of princess, resourceful and stuff. Her mother was also controllable in some chapters and may have been kind of evil. It wasn't sugarcoated, you could die if you screwed up. Not screwing up generally involved solving a puzzle or finding the right item and doing the right interaction with it before something bad happened.

(there was one chapter where you were in a badly lit room or magic woman's wagon or something, and two people were fighting, and you had to grab something and use it to either kill one of them, or get them to stop fighting. I think I remember picking up a magic wand and accidentally killing myself with it.)

Now that I think about it, I think it was divided up into different "chapters", which you could select non-sequentially - without keeping different save files.

I don't remember what happened in the end, I never accomplished very much.

This is King's Quest 7. The wand puzzle is the beginning of the 'last' chapter, which tipped me off. Each chapter, assuming I remember this right, was a different member of the Graham clan, who for the most part had been the star of at least 1 previous KQ game, give or take the Queen.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:50 am UTC

I looked it up and that's the one, thanks!
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Threechtwo

Postby Threechtwo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

Fahlain wrote:Okay, so I'm wandering aimlessly around the internet vaguely hoping someone can tell me the name of this game.

I remember playing it on my PC in the 90's sometime, but I'm super-sketchy on details. I do remember that it was an adventure-type game like the SpaceQuest series, in that you grab things with the cursor and have an inventory and must manipulate objects, etc etc.

It was set in the future, when space travel was available. You (the Hero) start the game in your apartment and have to leave for some reason. I can't remember why. Here's where some of the details get sketchier. I know that you wind up on a rocket, which somehow takes you to an abandoned spaceship, which contains multiple worlds within it. One world had dinosaurs in it. You had to climb in a tree and drop fruit on them. Somewhere on the ship was a robot thingy, which usually killed you if you encountered it.

Anyway, you go from world to world until you destroy the robot thingy and this is where I thought it got strange. Somehow you ended up on an alien planet, as a sort of zoo specimen. I only really remember something about a black hole (maybe?) and the fact that you had to go see a holographic lecture.

That's all I can really remember. I know there was bits of humor in it, and that it was rather Space Questy except you never saw the Hero. You just were him.

Truly hope someone can help! I desperately want to play that game again!

Is it one of the The Journeyman Project games? I remember that the first one (The Journeyman Project Turbo) came packaged with one of the computers we bought in the early to mid-90s. The beginning of it is exactly as you described. Two things, though: I remember being able to look in a mirror to see a reflection of the character's face. Also, I didn't make it very far in the game (past the beginning rocket), so I'm not sure if the story matches.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

*Background: played it on a PC, a year or so ago, it was a free thing that you didn't have to download
* Year: I think it came out in 2007 as well
* Perspective: 2D, but not low-quality
* Art style: um... not 8 bit, but not amazing
* Environment: It was in a forest-y environment, sometimes next to a marsh, sometimes next to a volcano though
* Mood: pretty cheerful, not memorably eye-searingly bright colors
* Genre: single player, you got to play god pretty much.
* Gameplay: The goal of the game was to raise a healthy society of these little blobs. The babies were helpless and had to be protected, but the others could do some stuff. You could train an adult blob to be a warrior to defend the little village, but the warriors often attacked the normal blobs. The warriors had to protect against these crab things that killed off some of them. You could move each one around with your mouse to attack, defend, set into school etc. I think the normal blobs gathered food, but I'm not sure.

I remember it being really fun to play also

Fahlain

Postby Fahlain » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Threechtwo wrote: Is it one of the The Journeyman Project games? I remember that the first one (The Journeyman Project Turbo) came packaged with one of the computers we bought in the early to mid-90s. The beginning of it is exactly as you described. Two things, though: I remember being able to look in a mirror to see a reflection of the character's face. Also, I didn't make it very far in the game (past the beginning rocket), so I'm not sure if the story matches.

Ahh, to have hopes raised and then cruelly dashed by fate. But no, I just checked into The Journeyman Project series and the game I remember is not it. That series seems to include historic times and events, while the game I remember had moments of pure fantasy in it (like when you visit the alien planet where the ending takes place). Thank you very much for trying though; I'll keep looking and hope more scraps of memory seep through.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:04 am UTC

When I was much younger, I used to play an asteroids-clone game. If someone could help me find it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It had a semi-normal style asteroids level. But between each level there was a menu where you could buy upgrades or insurance for your ship. The menu itself was an area you would fly your ship around, and you flew to each selection to buy it. And the exit to each shop was always the bottom-portal. Other than that, I don't remember much else about the game. It did have good graphics, on par with escape velocity 1.

Background: Was on the Mac, probably (90% sure)
* Year: 1995 era, maybe up to 2000, but definately not newer than that
* Perspective: 2D, Escape velocity 1 quality
* Art style: pre-rendered 3d
* Environment: single-screen asteroids
* Mood: non-realistic, more of an arcade-style game that knows its an arcade-style game
* Genre: asteroids clone
* Gameplay: asteroids clone, with persistant upgrades, ship insurance, and a 2player mode (i think)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:07 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:When I was much younger, I used to play an asteroids-clone game. If someone could help me find it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It had a semi-normal style asteroids level. But between each level there was a menu where you could buy upgrades or insurance for your ship. The menu itself was an area you would fly your ship around, and you flew to each selection to buy it. And the exit to each shop was always the bottom-portal. Other than that, I don't remember much else about the game. It did have good graphics, on par with escape velocity 1.

Background: Was on the Mac, probably (90% sure)
* Year: 1995 era, maybe up to 2000, but definately not newer than that
* Perspective: 2D, Escape velocity 1 quality
* Art style: pre-rendered 3d
* Environment: single-screen asteroids
* Mood: non-realistic, more of an arcade-style game that knows its an arcade-style game
* Genre: asteroids clone
* Gameplay: asteroids clone, with persistant upgrades, ship insurance, and a 2player mode (i think)

Maelstrom?

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:59 am UTC

Sounds like Maelstrom to me. We used to play that at school.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:54 am UTC

Rodan wrote:This is a game I've never played, but was described to me as being awesome. Apparently it was a downloaded game (for money), the basic concept is that you have a bunch of people (multiplayer, I believe), and each one is assigned another person to eliminate. Once you do eliminate said target, you get a new target and so on.
It sounded very paranoia-filled and awesome, but I've since completely forgotten the title.

Sounds to me like The Ship
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

Thanks Jay and SecondTalon, that was exactly that. I should have remembered the name, used to visit the ambrosia software offices a few times when I was a kid, so should have remembered it was one of their early ones.

And hey, theres a windows port now. *goes to play it again*

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

* Background: I know it was on NES. I don't know exactly how old I was, but it was close 20 years ago for sure. My neighbor had it (I think this was before I owned a Nintendo).
* Year: As above, about 20 years ago
* Perspective: There were 2 "phases". One was some sort of spaceship that scrolled top->bottom. The other was overhead when your character would be on a planet, or something, and you could go around shooting things.
* Art style: No clue. Seemed on par to other Nintendo games I remember playing.
* Environment: Was definitely Sci-Fi. I don't remember any specific enemies or bosses.
* Mood: Don't remember anything about this either -- I don't even remember the plot.
* Genre: Definitely huge portions were action, but there was definitely some puzzle solving involved, but only when you were running around on-land (as opposed to being in spaceship)
* Gameplay: Answered mostly above. No stats/levels as I remember. Don't remember any specific puzzles, but I know they were there. Was only one character that was controlled.

I remember really enjoying this game as a kid, and I often picture it, but I've never been able to remember what the hell game it was. And I realize that's next-to-no information I've given and that there's probably more than one game that fits what I've been able to piece together.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

Was it the one where you recruited a crew to fill various positions on the ship, and had to jet from planet to planet (on a 2d plane, with gravity), and when you landed you went around looking for mineral deposits with a scanner?

FACM

Postby FACM » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:* Background: I know it was on NES. I don't know exactly how old I was, but it was close 20 years ago for sure. My neighbor had it (I think this was before I owned a Nintendo).
* Year: As above, about 20 years ago
* Perspective: There were 2 "phases". One was some sort of spaceship that scrolled top->bottom. The other was overhead when your character would be on a planet, or something, and you could go around shooting things.
* Art style: No clue. Seemed on par to other Nintendo games I remember playing.
* Environment: Was definitely Sci-Fi. I don't remember any specific enemies or bosses.
* Mood: Don't remember anything about this either -- I don't even remember the plot.
* Genre: Definitely huge portions were action, but there was definitely some puzzle solving involved, but only when you were running around on-land (as opposed to being in spaceship)
* Gameplay: Answered mostly above. No stats/levels as I remember. Don't remember any specific puzzles, but I know they were there. Was only one character that was controlled.

My guess is Blaster Master, though the tank phase in it goes left and right, not top to bottom.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

@pseudoidiot, FACM: Yeah, Blaster Master sounds like it. There are also parts where you're out of the tank, in a sort of overhead view walking around Legend of Zelda-style, but in a spacesuit with a gun. My grandmother had this game, and it was pretty awesome (she kept an NES around to entertain the grandkids).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Master
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Return to “Gaming”