Fallout 3!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Re: Fallout 3!

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Question: Is there any drawback to just exploring? For example I have been exploring the area around the capital building and the museums without having any quests there. Am I just going to have to come back later for a quest, or is it no big deal to explore the whole map without getting quests first?

Question: Is there some mega mega boss or creature I should be saving up my super weapons for? I killed the giant super mutants outside gnr studios and in the capital with no problems using a chinese assault and combat shotgun (+ stimpacks)

I have a mini nuke and a launcer and was thinking about selling it, but do I need it for some badass fight?

Ixtellor

P.S. The lincoln repeater with that 8th level VATS rife accuracy skill is sick.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote: Question: Is there any drawback to just exploring? For example I have been exploring the area around the capital building and the museums without having any quests there. Am I just going to have to come back later for a quest, or is it no big deal to explore the whole map without getting quests first?
Nah don't worry about it, you can spend all day making a beeline for those lil triangles and you'll seldom get screwed over later on. Plus, if you're in the middle of a quest zone you usually run smack dab into a NPC programmed to charge at you and tell you whats going on. (The kid in "Those!" quest against the fireants)
Ixtellor wrote:Question: Is there some mega mega boss or creature I should be saving up my super weapons for? I killed the giant super mutants outside gnr studios and in the capital with no problems using a chinese assault and combat shotgun (+ stimpacks)
Giant super mutants, giant scorpions, those damn robots shooting the green gun at you.. Its basically it. Theres no uber huge monster in the endgame. Stuff will keep scaling up, though, so you'll hit guys that used to have knives but now have rocket launchers. They'll still have (relatively) the same HP, though.
Ixtellor wrote:I have a mini nuke and a launcer and was thinking about selling it, but do I need it for some badass fight?
Naw you're good without it; its not necessary, just for fun. You can get rid of the Mini-nuke if you need cash, but they don't weigh anything so you can just let them build up in your inventory. Just throw any 2nd/3rd fatboy you find away, and keep one in storage in case you're feeling sassy later. They don't sell for too much in medium condition.

I don't know where ST got this from (somewhere in the thread) but I think he's right
Spoiler:
I read somewhere.. I believe from this thread, actually.. that while that's true, areas also have a level range and will not go outside of that range.

So if you're level 2 and you hit a 8-12 zone, that zone will forever be populated by level 8 monsters. Enough to kick your ass at 2, sure, but not as bad as they could have been. And if you visit a 11-16 zone at level 20, the critters will be level 16.

At least, that's my understanding of how it works.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Question: Is there any drawback to just exploring? For example I have been exploring the area around the capital building and the museums without having any quests there. Am I just going to have to come back later for a quest, or is it no big deal to explore the whole map without getting quests first?

Question: Is there some mega mega boss or creature I should be saving up my super weapons for? I killed the giant super mutants outside gnr studios and in the capital with no problems using a chinese assault and combat shotgun (+ stimpacks)

Exploring is just fine. You do go to a lot of the DC locations for quests, but the nice thing is, you can just fast-travel back to any quest location you've previously explored.

The only place you should NOT explore until the main plot has progressed past it is Vault 112 (hidden under Smith Casey's Garage. Apparently if you go there it automatically advances the plot to that part of the game, which basically skips half the main quest (GNR, Rivet City, first visit to Jeff. Memorial, etc). Going to Rivet City will also advance the plot, but not nearly so much (you only skip GNR). But other than that, exploring just gets you more caps, and makes it really easy to speed through quests if you've already found the location(s) before.

As for heavy weapons, you can get by without for sure. I like to sell them, because even at my Barter skill of 9, missiles sell for 25 caps apiece and nukes for 123. I still have 3 mini-nukes because I use up shopkeepers' caps selling other loot first (I sell scavenged weapons first, then ammo, since ammo has no weight). They're good fun to use, but by no means do you need them in any part of the game.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:Giant super mutants, giant scorpions, those damn robots shooting the green gun at you.. Its basically it. Theres no uber huge monster in the endgame. Stuff will keep scaling up, though, so you'll hit guys that used to have knives but now have rocket launchers. They'll still have (relatively) the same HP, though.

So I just paid $50 for an Oblivion total-conversion mod?
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

I say "yes..." (in a fashion where you say it really slowly and carefully, and then continue with "but its a really awesome conversion.")

Oh and Rippy what is GNR? What did i skip? I might have not skipped it; I just don't remember what GNR is. For that matter, which guy is Jeff? I always remember their facial features instead of their names.

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

GNR is the radio station with 3-Dog or whatever his name is. And yeah I skipped it too by going to Rivet City first. I didn't even realize I'd missed part of the official storyline until I read a forum post about it a few weeks ago. On the one hand it's annoying to be able to skip something that adds to the story but on the other it's weirdly refreshing in a way. I dunno, it just seems more realistic that I can stumble upon a part of the main quest out of sequence. The real world isn't that linearly predictable, why should my games be. I like that I have something new to see on subsequent play-throughs. Granted it would have been nicer if by skipping parts of the main quest it was later acknowledged, in conversation, that you'd skipped said parts instead of assuming you'd been to those places.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Oh yea. I didn't think about that. Naw i've never been to the Galactic News Radio Station. One of the wasteland survival guide quests explicitly tell me to go to rivet city, which tell me to go to the memorial, where I pick up the tapes. Thats pretty damn easy to miss, in my opinion. Well, I'll just make a new dude just to get the storyline out of it when I'm bored. I agree with Jerdak that its nice that I don't HAVE to go there. How do you get directions to it in the first place?

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:
Ixtellor wrote: Question: Is there any drawback to just exploring? For example I have been exploring the area around the capital building and the museums without having any quests there. Am I just going to have to come back later for a quest, or is it no big deal to explore the whole map without getting quests first?
Nah don't worry about it, you can spend all day making a beeline for those lil triangles and you'll seldom get screwed over later on. Plus, if you're in the middle of a quest zone you usually run smack dab into a NPC programmed to charge at you and tell you whats going on. (The kid in "Those!" quest against the fireants)
Ixtellor wrote:Question: Is there some mega mega boss or creature I should be saving up my super weapons for? I killed the giant super mutants outside gnr studios and in the capital with no problems using a chinese assault and combat shotgun (+ stimpacks)
Giant super mutants, giant scorpions, those damn robots shooting the green gun at you.. Its basically it. Theres no uber huge monster in the endgame. Stuff will keep scaling up, though, so you'll hit guys that used to have knives but now have rocket launchers. They'll still have (relatively) the same HP, though.
Ixtellor wrote:I have a mini nuke and a launcer and was thinking about selling it, but do I need it for some badass fight?
Naw you're good without it; its not necessary, just for fun. You can get rid of the Mini-nuke if you need cash, but they don't weigh anything so you can just let them build up in your inventory. Just throw any 2nd/3rd fatboy you find away, and keep one in storage in case you're feeling sassy later. They don't sell for too much in medium condition.

I don't know where ST got this from (somewhere in the thread) but I think he's right
Spoiler:
I read somewhere.. I believe from this thread, actually.. that while that's true, areas also have a level range and will not go outside of that range.

So if you're level 2 and you hit a 8-12 zone, that zone will forever be populated by level 8 monsters. Enough to kick your ass at 2, sure, but not as bad as they could have been. And if you visit a 11-16 zone at level 20, the critters will be level 16.

At least, that's my understanding of how it works.

I thought, based on what little spoiler-stuff I read here before I got that far, that you had to fight a big robot. So, I was saving up my fatman - But no, turns out it only hates chinese commies. I'm trying to get the MIRV that shoots 8 fatmans at once, though... Just can't find that damn depot.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

It shoots 8 fatmans at once? Impressive, I didn't realize the Fat Man could be used as ammo...

=P
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

About directions to GNR, after you've gotten the info from Moriarty one way or another, there's a marker on the map pointing you to the correct metro station and onwards.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

If you turned Megaton into the crater it should be, though, then your best bet is to find the Super-Duper Mart, go across the river from there, and look for Farragut West Metro Station (or whatever it is called), which should be fairly close. From there, you should find directions in the form of Brotherhood of Steel logos next to scrawled letters reading "GNR Outpost".
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Any else here that loves speech and charisma?
Awesome quest resolving.

On the subject of weapons, I have protectron's gaze laser pistol, however it seems pretty lame, it fires like 5 beams that hardly ever seem to hit or do any damage.

Also, on the way to GNR near the ghouls in the subway, I found some radroaches, but they ran away. Later I find all the ghouls dead and 2 green to me radroaches running around, I was amazed.

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

The MIRV. I... I think I'm in love. *sniff*

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

I don't know if someone covered this, and I'm not sure where, but theres a lil supermarket (I think near a electrical tower you activate) where when you're inside, arrows point to a pressure plate to stand on. I was highly amused that Bethesda decided to set up a simple Rube Goldberg Machine using their own physics engine. And lo, there were books and explosives as a door prize for participating! *Hugs Game Developers*

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

I like the keyboard and mouse.
Not to mention, I play a lot of online games with my friends over steam. So, I need a PC which can play games anyway.
Not to mention, some games (read: RTS) don't even come out for consoles.
Not to mention, I would rather play an FPS on my PC than using a console.

That being said, I already own fallout 3 for the PC. To play it on a console could cost at least $299 (360) + $60 (game), or whatever a PS3 costs (which i probably wouldn't get). I could probably return the pc version for store credit and get the 360 one, but again, I'd still have to buy a console.

Also, while you never have to worry about specs, you do have to make sure you upgrade your hardware every 4-6 years, when the next gen comes out.

Really, it's not feasable to stop PC gaming for me. The question is whether I'm ready to spend the $300+ dollars for a 360 to game on that as well. I'm not sure yet.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:I don't know if someone covered this, and I'm not sure where, but theres a lil supermarket (I think near a electrical tower you activate) where when you're inside, arrows point to a pressure plate to stand on. I was highly amused that Bethesda decided to set up a simple Rube Goldberg Machine using their own physics engine. And lo, there were books and explosives as a door prize for participating! *Hugs Game Developers*

Hmm I found a place just ne of Arufa (sp?) with a tiny grocery story on the map and went inside, (I was looking for "The Family") and explored it and found nothing. Is this the place you are talking about?

Ixtellor

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

Did you see a bunch of boxes arranged like dominoes in front of you?

Jessica, howabout those $200 ones? They don't have a hard drive for backwards compatibility and downloadable games, but It'll play the game. Someone from amazon:
Microsoft is running a promotion where you can get a 20GB hard drive with a free Gold Live subscription for around $30. This is way cheaper than retail. Here
That said, my PC version has been nice to me for the most part.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

Interesting. I'll look into the upgrade when I get home. Looking at the arcade, it seems like other than the hard drive, it's pretty much the same.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

Lets here some reviews on stats and skills.

I put points into agility and intelligence.

I like the int points because of the extra skill points I get every level. I believe I get 19 per level.

I am not so sure about agility.
I have an 89% chance to get a headshot from up close, and usually about a 50% from far away.

Has anyone tried high perception? I am sick of being shot by multiple snipers and I can't find them.

On SKills other than weapon skills:

I have very high science, repair, and medicine skills.

The medicine skill has helped me with being good. I performed a few operations on NPC's and got good karma and rewards. I also never seem to have problems staying healed, as I spend 1/2 my money on stimpacks. But not sure it was worth all the points.

Repair skill is useful. I always have high damage guns and good armor.
Going through the Capital Building I was able to turn a lot of level 13 Talon armor into level 25 protection armor.

On science skills: I think it might have been a waste. It has only really be useful in opening a few locked doors and one safe. I probably could have lock picked a few of the doors.

Mostly I hack a computer and turn off a turret that I could have easily destroyed, or I read useless information like 9/11 reports from 100 years ago.

I am thinking that in the future I would rather have speech or lock picking or another weapon skill.

In conclusion:

Intelligence = good
Agility = blah
Repair = great
medicine and hacking = blah

Ixtellor

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

@Ixtellor: I really like agility, because it gives you more AP to play with. As for science, I really wish it was good for more than just hacking a few terminals in the game. There are a few stats that have really limited usage, and don't really feel worth the trouble (science, medicine, repair). I mean, medicine pretty much just makes stimpaks more useful, even though they're plentiful, and with a house you can get to a bed anytime AND get free purified water to take with you on the go. Science gets used maybe 5 times over the course of the game. Repair is handy, but not great.

I think the real problem is the mixing of specific skills and more general ones. Smalls Arms, for example, is tremendously useful, compared to Science which is very limited, but they both cost the same. I say they should either subdivide major skills into smaller ones (such as by weapon type), or make minor skills cost half as much.

Main plot spoilers:
Spoiler:
Speaking of science skill, did anyone get into the Overseer's Office in Vault 112? I think it's a hard or very hard terminal, and neither of my characters have hacking skills so I never opened it. Reading up on the net, I see some people saying they didn't go in until after the Tranquility Lane thing, and also a F3 Wiki saying the rumour is false that you can save the people by finding something in the office, but I'm not sure how credible these people are. I kind of want to see what's in there, and I'm tempted to just create a new character with nothing but Science skill and running straight to the Vault, since you can take up the main plot starting there anyway.

Edit: It needs a key. There goes 10 minutes of my time creating a character and noclipping all the way there. I couldn't find out where to get a key so I noclipped in, it's just Braun in a tranquility lounger, with an Easy safe with random loot. Disappointing.

Also, did anyone catch the news about the Japanese release of Fallout 3? Apparently it's being censored in various ways due to, well, the country's understandable sensitivity when it comes to nuclear warfare. They took out the ability to blow up megaton (removing Mr. Burke entirely), and renamed the Fat Man.
Last edited by Rippy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Honestly, I think they could have gotten away with keeping it in for the Japanese edition. Maybe it's the fact it's an American game, but there are plenty of references to nuclear warfare in all forms of Japanese media (those events obviously having a huge impact on modern Japanese culture). I guess that it appears to be in a light-hearted context also makes a difference.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

I've hacked... at least 11 terminals, and I'm lvl 7.
It's not the most useful ability, but I like being able to hack PCs. Turning on the robots in different parts of the game, or opening safes.

The thing is, obviously the combat skills are better. It's almost impossible to play the game without some form of combat. Actually... I wonder if it is possible. I don't think so. things like the abomination need to be killed. I could run from most combat, or talk my way out of a lot of quests, but there will just be some things you need to kill.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:It's almost impossible to play the game without some form of combat. Actually... I wonder if it is possible. I don't think so. things like the abomination need to be killed. I could run from most combat, or talk my way out of a lot of quests, but there will just be some things you need to kill.
You can meet up with dad without fighting anything (although you have to sneak past / run from quite a number of pests to get there). To progress in the main quest you need to clear a building of monsters; but there are turrets that you should be able to use to do your dirty work (and there might be a way to bypass it). Getting through the Enclave base without combat skills is tough but I believe it's possible.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:08 am UTC

I have a propensity to improve stats where i have a clear goal even when it may be outweighed by a marginal benefit in a different skill, I took explosives to 25 as a matter of course for interaction with the bomb (Something i stand by as a good decision as having a house is just cool, im filling it up as i speak with the coolest loot i can find just because i like it being aesthetically pleasing.) and i took Science to 50 for the robot factory which i also dont regret. Hacking is far more useful than some here are giving credit for and also i quite enjoy the process of hacking so thats an added incentive :D
One day something wity and original will appear here

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:32 am UTC

I disarmed the bomb using mentats.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:18 am UTC

Whenever I pop mentats to pull off some sort of skill I always get that Mentos music to pop in my head. So yea, its effect and the satire is perfection.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:40 am UTC

I took a nice picture of myself in Tenpenny Tower: (this thread needs some screenshots!)

TenpennyTower.jpg
TenpennyTower.jpg (71.89 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
I'm the fellow on the left.

Basically, I decided I wanted Tenpenny Tower to myself a while ago, and so I killed everyone I saw. After a while I noticed that the bodies were always strewn about, and while my first thought was to hide them away, I decided to pile 'em all up in the lobby. When I was doing this, a couple people walked by who I somehow missed before, so I killed them both, and that actually triggered the Tenpenny Tower quest for me. The quest was added (I hadn't even looked into it with this character), and it told me to go tell Roy Philips that they could move in. I did, but once again I wanted the tower to myself, so this is the result.

I like how your character's legs change height based on what you're standing on, to a certain extent. Kind of a weird feature to add in a game where the third-person animations are complete crap, but it makes for a nice victory pose. Clover's the one in the Enclave armour, it took forever to get her right (She would always turn to look at me after a few seconds).

Also, how do you take screenshots in-game? I took that one with prnt scrn and just pasted it into GIMP, but earlier in the thread I saw someone with a little Fallout 3 popup saying "screenshot saved"...

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:06 am UTC

Rippy wrote:Also, how do you take screenshots in-game? I took that one with prnt scrn and just pasted it into GIMP, but earlier in the thread I saw someone with a little Fallout 3 popup saying "screenshot saved"...

I use the prnt scrn key and it saves them by itself. This is utterly useless, however, because I can't find where the screenshots get saved to.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:28 am UTC

It saves them in the folder you installed it to.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:34 am UTC

I got lots of (nice) screenshots, but it's too much work for me to remember where to host the images and such. :P As in, an imagehost somewhere. As far as I remember, forums doesn't files bigger than an avatar.
Last edited by Phen on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:10 am UTC

... Here? Like, a few centimeters below where you type every post?

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

Yes, look at that shiny little "Upload attachment" tab right under the text box...

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:17 pm UTC

So I am just slowly working my way to Rivet city...

Spoiler:
And I end up exploring the metro station near graydirt (gray something..)
I am getting mad cause its all fireants and a total waste of ammo to kill them, when I find a scientist behind a locked door.
Anyway, you do an easy little quest for him and your reward is an injection that improves either your perception or (some other stat - end i think) and gives you + 25% fire resistance.

Are there other quests that improve your stats like that?

Furthermore,
Has anyone taken the perks that increase Stats - and was it worth it?
or
Has anyone taken the ammo scrounging Perk - finding more ammo is the bane of my adventuring. (I buy every bullet at every shop I come across)

Ixtellor

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

I took the perk that increases the amount of Ammo you find. Now I am swimming in everything. I sell most of it now and just keep what I need for Energy and Small arms. It is great to open a ammo box and see 10 rockets. I am now able to decrease the number of guns I carry around so it makes looting/adventuring less work.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Hmm... Let me see, then. Hah, it doesn't like bitmap pictures. Aaanyway, I ran into a wierd encounter... A lot of naked wastelanders being persued and beaten by naked raiders. They had armor in their inventory, so... Is it a bug? Or just... Something?

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

I keep hoping for a Monty Python encounter like in Fallout 2.

Jebobek wrote:I don't know if someone covered this, and I'm not sure where, but theres a lil supermarket (I think near a electrical tower you activate) where when you're inside, arrows point to a pressure plate to stand on. I was highly amused that Bethesda decided to set up a simple Rube Goldberg Machine using their own physics engine. And lo, there were books and explosives as a door prize for participating! *Hugs Game Developers*

I couldn't agree more. It's funny I actually accidentally blocked the thing that starts the books. As soon as I saw the book I decided they needed to be toppled. Imagine my surprise when that stack o' books got to the end. :) It was one of those slow motion moments because I saw, as the last book was being hit, the plate it was going to hit. It's a good thing I put 25 points in to "Praying."

I've actually be extremely pleased with the selection of quests. Oblivion got so old with it's redundant dungeons and "go fetch me this" bullshit. For poops and giggles I took explorer at level 20 so I could find all the places on the map. Kinda cool.

I really wish there were a few more Vaults. I'm a huge fan of lost technology and mysterious lost civilizations. The vaults in the game were kinda limited IMO. I was also hoping Bethsoft would create Vault 77 from Penny Arcade's Fallout comic. That was some funny stuff.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Are there other quests that improve your stats like that?
As far as I and the Fallout wikia know, that's the only one. There are a number of quests which have rewards which are items that increase stats (although only one of them is an item that does it from your inventory). Do you know about the Bobbleheads?

Ixtellor wrote:Has anyone taken the perks that increase Stats - and was it worth it?
I'm doing primarily those on my current char, but it's hard to say if it's worth it or not. The stat perks seem worth it only if you're not planning on leveling up too much- my current char is getting around 23 skill points a level (10 int plus educated) after level 4, which is going to be a total of 368 more skill points running around; that only comes out to 28 per skill, but since you're only going to use about five to six of them anyway, that's enough to put every useful skill into the territory where bobbleheads and skill books (get Comprehension, probably the best skill perk) will get you up to 100.

As skill perks, they're less useful than the flat skill perks- but there are various things out there that you need a certain stat to do (i.e. dialogue options that open up once you have a stat above a certain level), and you don't really need the flat skill perks. I generally start my chars out with 8 str (bobblehead plus ant might to bring it up to 10), 9 int (bobblehead to bring it up to 10), 6 luck (a combination of items can bring that up to 10), about a 7-8 agi and then shit for the other ones, and then use Intense Training to bring up my agi and other stats.

The other 9 perks that you get are more than enough (for me at least) to load up on essentials, and so it's mainly a question of how much you want skills vs. stats.

Ixtellor wrote:Has anyone taken the ammo scrounging Perk - finding more ammo is the bane of my adventuring. (I buy every bullet at every shop I come across)
I generally get to be ammo-wealthy relatively quickly without taking ammo scrounging- but I'm also playing a sneaky char that will often end fights with just a single bullet (Sneak attack critical headshot ftw, literally). When that doesn't work I end up spending 4-6 to kill somebody, so it's easy to see how you could run out of ammo. You might want to try picking up melee as well, and using it to finish off people / kill jumpy people that get close (shooting ghouls in melee without VATS is agh for me), since it doesn't take ammo and most of the early melee weapons are better than the early guns (a baseball bat does more damage than a 10mm pistol? Really?).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Teeesting.

Spoiler:
ScreenShot115.jpg
I can fly!
ScreenShot115.jpg (79.79 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

I have never seen a single freaking bobble head. I am currently level 9.

Ixtellor

PANT ORAMA

Postby PANT ORAMA » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

Aethernox wrote:
Jebobek wrote:In megaton you just pay caps.. I don't recall if I found any books inside. Also, strength bobblehead.. where?

Spoiler:
Lucas' home, top floor.

I should have clarified; The Love Machine theme (once bought with caps) came with a "Lying, Congressionally" book, and I believe there was either a science or medicine book with its respective theme, at Tenpenny. Do these not exist in the megaton themes? If so, I will be sorely disappointed.

Yes - they are there in Megat(r)on

Ixtellor wrote:
On science skills: I think it might have been a waste. It has only really be useful in opening a few locked doors and one safe. I probably could have lock picked a few of the doors.
Ixtellor

A successful hacking gives mad XP - Better than the perk that gets you +10%. So in that aspect, I think it is worth it.

Return to “Gaming”