EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mike-l

Re: EVE Online

Postby mike-l » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:10 am UTC

Do fights usually end with ships still alive on both sides? Ie, (like I said I know nothing of how this works) I would naively assume that only the team winning the tournament overall would keep any of their ships alive
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Do fights usually end with ships still alive on both sides? Ie, (like I said I know nothing of how this works) I would naively assume that only the team winning the tournament overall would keep any of their ships alive

Sometimes. Each match has a set time limit; anything that survives to the end of that time period remains alive. (If both teams have ships surviving at the time limit, there's a points system for kills that determines who won - larger and/or more advanced ships are worth more points.)

One viable strategy in this particular tournament is to have a fleet composition that tries to kill one or two things and then just survive for the rest of the match, without losing ships in return.
Last edited by Aaeriele on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:23 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Do fights usually end with ships still alive on both sides? Ie, (like I said I know nothing of how this works) I would naively assume that only the team winning the tournament overall would keep any of their ships alive

There is a time limit, after which the team with the most points wins. Our 2nd match for example, we lost no ships and the enemy team lost only a few small ships.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:25 am UTC

I see. So the expectation in that fight was that even if you did lose that your shiny ships would last for the full 10 minutes?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:57 am UTC

The expectation was that we wouldnt lose

Edit: That is, with links, the guardian has a vast amount of hp, and with the guardian, the malices can sit there with 0 velocity and tank a kronos with ease.

Instead, what happened is our sensor link wasnt up which made everyone get jammed much more often, the armor links werent up which greatly reduced all the tanks.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 am UTC

So I'm goofing off with a friend, blowing each other up in rookie ships. Except he was hanging out in Dodixie and so I came down to him. Not a good idea. Took about 5 minutes for one of the many war targets in system to find us and pod kill me.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:12 am UTC

Proper writeup later. http://whkills.info/?a=kill_related&kll_id=181826

100B enemy losses, inc at least 4 caps worth 4b+, 11bhalls, almost 30 T3s.

We were rescued at the very, very last second. The final 60 ships jumped in to our home at the fight began. It was.. glorious. I'm proud to say I FCed the largest capital engagement in wormholes.. ever.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:39 pm UTC

The most bizarre thing about that, to me at least, is the Brutix loss. Why, with all those caps and faction BSes and T3s on the field, would they go after a BC worth only 60m?
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Last edited by Daimon on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:The most bizarre thing about that, to me at least, is the Brutix loss. Why, with all those caps and faction BSes and T3s on the field, would they go after a BC worth only 60m?

It's not about isk value, it's the hp:dps ratio. Brutix can do around 6-700dps,which is a bit under a prot, but not by much. However, it has a tenth of the tank. Which would you clear off first?
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:52 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:Proper writeup later. http://whkills.info/?a=kill_related&kll_id=181826

We were rescued at the very, very last second. The final 60 ships jumped in to our home at the fight began. It was.. glorious. I'm proud to say I FCed the largest capital engagement in wormholes.. ever.

Bah I can't believe I missed that, although on behalf of SSC: you're welcome :D

EDIT:
reddit thread
Mitten's writeup
videos from hardknocks and SSC can be found there (ours is better of course)

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:44 am UTC

Finally in TEST and moved down to Delve. Sad to learn all the rats in the area deal EM damage and the best ratting ship i can fly well is shield tanked. Guess I'll rat up in fountain.

Man the jump bridge networks in CFC and HBC are huge....

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 am UTC

gnutrino wrote:
Alasseo wrote:Proper writeup later. http://whkills.info/?a=kill_related&kll_id=181826

Bah I can't believe I missed that, although on behalf of SSC: you're welcome :D

EDIT:
reddit thread
Mitten's writeup
videos from hardknocks and SSC can be found there (ours is better of course)

Edit: Of course, it would have been slightly easier if we had had all of our Bhaalgorns. Just saying. ;)

Not going to lie, it would have ended much worse without you all showing up. VoC and KILL were nice too, but we might not have gotten them in without you. I'll say we were not planning on that many of Bhaalgorns showing up to the party for sure...

AMathmagician

Postby AMathmagician » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:04 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Finally in TEST and moved down to Delve. Sad to learn all the rats in the area deal EM damage and the best ratting ship i can fly well is shield tanked. Guess I'll rat up in fountain.

Man the jump bridge networks in CFC and HBC are huge....

If you're looking to do some ratting in a social group, join up with the Admiral Squad group in TEST. Fly a lot of Nag as, but they are also branching off into doing some daytripping. It's a good group.

boXd

Postby boXd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

At first I thought "Yay! EVE Online: Retribution!"

And then I realized my Iteron is now invisible. -_-' Haven't tested any other ships yet.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:42 pm UTC

boXd wrote:At first I thought "Yay! EVE Online: Retribution!"

And then I realized my Iteron is now invisible. -_-' Haven't tested any other ships yet.

Sounds like a buff. Free cloak!

AMathmagician wrote:If you're looking to do some ratting in a social group, join up with the Admiral Squad group in TEST. Fly a lot of Nag as, but they are also branching off into doing some daytripping. It's a good group.
I'll check it out. Don't have large hybrid though, so I may need to wait a bit before trading my drake for a naga. Can train them starting Thursday when BC V finishes.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 pm UTC

Update eve client before work, log in. Takes forever to update, because c drive is full, and I have to delete things. Update successful. Needed to leave for work five minutes ago. Log in. In pod. Worrying. Remember was moving ships around, fine. Enter pos password. Bounced out. Try, repeatedly. No luck. This is bad. Needed to leave for work 10 minutes ago. Finally read mails, pw changed because it was handed out during invasion. No longer in pod outside of pos shields. Improvement. Attempt to access sma. 46 items listed on bottom of window. No visible icons. Still in pos shields at least. Needed to leave for work 15 minutes ago. Fly to Cha. Same problem. Back to sma. Nope. Attempt to filter. Nothing. Needed to leave for work 20 minutes ago. Pointlessly use safe logoff.

Only 1 minute late for work.

Edit: for my ssc friend: http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8978/csimeme.jpg

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

Yay incoming shitstorm: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.as ... s&t=178365

Good to see the old CCP shining through, I'd gotten a bit worried by all their unexpected competence recently

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

gnutrino wrote:Yay incoming shitstorm: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.as ... s&t=178365

Good to see the old CCP shining through, I'd got a bit worried by all their unexpected competence recently

Yeah, saw that linked on FHC. Nothing applies to cap remote assistance modules unless it specifies now. CCP's solution was quite simple, rather than boost shield reps to work with shield links they nerfed armour to not work with armour links. Going to be fun watching to see if this gets patched.

For all you WH dwellers, apparently WH effects weren't working, not sure if they've fixed that yet though.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

They're rolling back the triage changes, and they have an internal fix for whs. Knew I should have bet on wormholes being broken afyer the patch, I'd be doubly right. Supposedly both fixed in the first point release, though.

boXd

Postby boXd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

Gah. With changes like these, I always wish I had the option to take a short position on an item.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:09 am UTC

Hah, used safe log off for its intended purpose, safely avoiding evil neuts in local while ratting.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:35 am UTC

Speaking of safe log off, they changed the mechanics. You used to be able to jump into another system and loggoffski, but you can no longer do that.

boXd

Postby boXd » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

With relatively low SP, can the Brutix be made into a reasonably powerful solo PvP ship?

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 pm UTC

Mmm. Yes and no. It has some serious issues, but of the options for Gallente battlecruisers, I'd say it's the best with low SP. With all V, both the Myrm and the Talos are quite powerful solo, though the Talos scales better.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:28 am UTC

low sp battlecruisers are not a good idea - you will end up getting soloed by a frigate

boXd

Postby boXd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:10 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:low sp battlecruisers are not a good idea - you will end up getting soloed by a frigate

I'm new to EVE, so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how is that even possible? I hear this kind of thing a lot, but I never quite got it. A battlecruiser is superior to a frigate in every way except speed, and if you've got some powerful blasters with decent rotational speed, a good AB/MWD and a webifier of some sort, how can a frigate possibly win?

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:24 am UTC

I don't think that it could if you add a jammer and drones to that list. However, people do fit battlecruisers poorly. Especially people with low sp. It's entirely possible to solo even battleship rats in a t1 frigate.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:10 am UTC

boXd wrote:
BlackSails wrote:low sp battlecruisers are not a good idea - you will end up getting soloed by a frigate

I'm new to EVE, so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how is that even possible? I hear this kind of thing a lot, but I never quite got it. A battlecruiser is superior to a frigate in every way except speed, and if you've got some powerful blasters with decent rotational speed, a good AB/MWD and a webifier of some sort, how can a frigate possibly win?

Because the frigate also has ab/mwd/web/scram and if they have good skills for fitting their frigate you won't be able to do shit. Low SP means shit tracking and shit tank. If someone is running a low SP BC then a speed tanking track disrupting Slasher could probably fuck you up.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:19 am UTC

You dont even need the td or afterburner. You could easily get under medium guns without those.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:30 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:You dont even need the td or afterburner. You could easily get under medium guns without those.

Indeed.

That slasher can speed tank destroyers and frigates into oblivion too, so of course a BC is going to do absolutely nothing to it. 4.4km/s MWD or 1.65km/s AB, 3s align time, track disruption... hell if you really wanted to you could even fit out a med slot with a MEDIUM shield ancil (since you don't need web at those speeds) using only a 1% implant and easily carry enough boosters to run the ancil for the whole encounter to recoup whatever scratch damage happens to get you. All while running 200mm AC IIs with whatever ammo you want. And you can run all that for as long as you want or have ammo for (while low SP BCs probably can't run their stuff permenantly).

There really is no comparison between a high skilled fit and low skilled fits.

If you're lucky your low SP fit has just enough tank that it can tank the frigate indefinitely... but then, given your low SP, you're unlikely to have friends come help you, while the high SP frigate probably does have friends who will help him. Though in terms of the duel it'd be stalemate.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:43 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
boXd wrote:

Because the frigate also has ab/mwd/web/scram and if they have good skills for fitting their frigate you won't be able to do shit. Low SP means shit tracking and shit tank. If someone is running a low SP BC then a speed tanking track disrupting Slasher could probably fuck you up.

I didn't even think about tracking disruption. I fly too much Gallente :P

boXd

Postby boXd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:06 am UTC

Ah, well, point taken. No taking my Brutix out for PvP for a while then. :wink:

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

boXd wrote:Ah, well, point taken. No taking my Brutix out for PvP for a while then. :wink:

If you can afford to lose it I say go for it, PvP is fun and you'll gain lots of experience even if you do lose your ship.

You'll end up quitting EVE if you don't take part in fun things.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

boXd

Postby boXd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:If you can afford to lose it I say go for it, PvP is fun and you'll gain lots of experience even if you do lose your ship.

Sure, I can afford it - I could probably buy a couple more Brutices before I'd have to start worrying. But I'm not *that* rich (yet, hopefully), and I've already lost a Brutix to a nasty Thorax three days ago, so I think I'll pass for now. ;)

Gelsamel wrote:You'll end up quitting EVE if you don't take part in fun things.

Yeah, I know. Invited a friend to start playing EVE. He enjoyed it for a while, but never tried PvP because he was too damn scared to lose some hard-earned money. One month in, he quit because EVE was "too boring and too much of the same."

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

It never occurred to me to pluralize "Brutix" as "Brutices". Makes sense, though.

Why not do some low SP PvP in a frigate or destroyer? They're much cheaper to replace and the SP requirements are typically lower.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

boXd

Postby boXd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Why not do some low SP PvP in a frigate or destroyer? They're much cheaper to replace and the SP requirements are typically lower.

Well... Mostly because the experiences I have with a few Incursus vessels mostly involve me turning up at a gate in 0.4, and then being mauled by multiple Hurricanes. Once that happens a few times, you start to wonder how you are *ever* going to kill something in a frig. I suppose just packing a lot of firepower in a BC isn't an appropriate alternative, though, considering I'm not really an experirenced pilot yet.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

boXd wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:Why not do some low SP PvP in a frigate or destroyer? They're much cheaper to replace and the SP requirements are typically lower.

Well... Mostly because the experiences I have with a few Incursus vessels mostly involve me turning up at a gate in 0.4, and then being mauled by multiple Hurricanes. Once that happens a few times, you start to wonder how you are *ever* going to kill something in a frig. I suppose just packing a lot of firepower in a BC isn't an appropriate alternative, though, considering I'm not really an experirenced pilot yet.

Keep an eye on the map. You can set it to pod kills in the system in the last X amount of time and player activity in the last X amount of time and other stuff like that so you can gauge if it is safe to jump through.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

boXd

Postby boXd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Keep an eye on the map. You can set it to pod kills in the system in the last X amount of time and player activity in the last X amount of time and other stuff like that so you can gauge if it is safe to jump through.

But... if it's safe/there's a lot of inactivity, doesn't that mean there's no PvP to be found?

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:41 pm UTC

The standard response for Frig/Cruiser PVP would be to join RVB, especially with the rebalancing of them it should be a lot of fun.

Return to “Gaming”