Mass Effect : Meet and Fuck

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thecommabandit

Re: Mass Effect

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

Is it just me or is the "go and survey uninhabited planets for minerals" more than a bit reminiscent of the side-quests in NWN2 to find the ore deposits?

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

I am in emphatic agreement with you there. Basically the only reason it's a renegade ending is because you had a hand in it. Technically.

Also, a question about Virmire:

Spoiler:
Do the optional objectives (which aid the diversion team) actually impact anything besides your xp?
//TODO: Write funny sig

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

I always just found the ore deposits whilst doing real quests. There were ones that one had to actually go out and look for?
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

For the love of the gods, why, why, why was this two threads with the exact same title?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

CorporalClegg

Postby CorporalClegg » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

dyzzy wrote:I am in emphatic agreement with you there. Basically the only reason it's a renegade ending is because you had a hand in it. Technically.

Also, a question about Virmire:

Spoiler:
Do the optional objectives (which aid the diversion team) actually impact anything besides your xp?

Spoiler:
I think the last one with the security alarms makes it easier if you send the gaurds to the other side of the base, but you fuck over your buddies. For the most part, It doesn't matter too much though I think.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

Belial wrote:For the love of the gods, why, why, why was this two threads with the exact same title?

I think mine had fallen off the first page when the second thread was made. Plus, "Mass Effect" is a pretty obvious name for a thread about Mass Effect.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:25 pm UTC

You think someone would use the gorram search function....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:56 am UTC

On the topic of asteroids, if you don't move the cursor when looking in a system any hidden/scannable objects will twinkle or sparkle, unlike the background stars which when not moving don't, makng it easier to find the asteroid.

Also in case anyone didn't know you can use LT and then push down on the right stick to zoom with the Mako Cannon, actually allowing accuracy from dodgy slopes!

Edit: Typing
Last edited by Ian Ex Machina on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:Also incase anyone didn't know you can use LT and then push down on the right stck twic to zoom with the Mako Cannon, actually allowing accuracy from dodgy slopes!

*deep breath*

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

Wait, there's zooming? Can I zoom with hand weapons?

Somehow I imagine if I bothered to open the manual, I would know a lot more of this.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

I don't think the guns (besides the sniper rifle, of course) have a zoom, just the left-trigger stance.
Then again, I could be wrong. It seems the manual is more essential than I thought.

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

I got laid by an alien last night.

Ahhhh yeah.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

See, on the one hand, I don't like how they don't include much of anything as far as a tutorial goes, but by the same token, I think if they did, and made it mandatory, I'd have no desire to actually play the game again like Kingdom Hearts 2. It's a big game with lots to do, and would require a big tutorial to get it all. KH2's is like four hours long, and boring, and you end up switching characters after it's up. Mass Effect's world would allow for an easy way to add a completely optional, but comprehensive tutorial: VR simulation. They don't ever show VR being used (to my knowledge), but it would hardly be unbelievable. Just throw in a line like "Hey Sheppard, wanna go practice shooting/driving in the VR? Meet in such and such." Bam, instant tutorial that you can skip.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Phentos wrote:I got laid by an alien last night.

Ahhhh yeah.

I got laid by two aliens.
Spoiler:
The dirty consort slut.

CorporalClegg

Postby CorporalClegg » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Wait, there's zooming? Can I zoom with hand weapons?

Somehow I imagine if I bothered to open the manual, I would know a lot more of this.

You can zoom with any weapon that your class is "trained in." So Soldiers can zoom with all the weapons, but Adepts can zoom with only the assault rifle and pistol (making the sniper rifle useless)

I think that's right, but I'm not 100% sure. Call it 90% sure.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:See, on the one hand, I don't like how they don't include much of anything as far as a tutorial goes, but by the same token, I think if they did, and made it mandatory, I'd have no desire to actually play the game again like Kingdom Hearts 2. It's a big game with lots to do, and would require a big tutorial to get it all. KH2's is like four hours long, and boring, and you end up switching characters after it's up. Mass Effect's world would allow for an easy way to add a completely optional, but comprehensive tutorial: VR simulation. They don't ever show VR being used (to my knowledge), but it would hardly be unbelievable. Just throw in a line like "Hey Sheppard, wanna go practice shooting/driving in the VR? Meet in such and such." Bam, instant tutorial that you can skip.

It could also have been reasonably incorporated into the character creation sequence: as you "reconstruct" your profile the VI asks you (rather naively) if you have already completed the basic "systems interface" primer or some such nonsense. Yes? Go about your business. No? Quick VR simulation.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

dyzzy wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:See, on the one hand, I don't like how they don't include much of anything as far as a tutorial goes, but by the same token, I think if they did, and made it mandatory, I'd have no desire to actually play the game again like Kingdom Hearts 2. It's a big game with lots to do, and would require a big tutorial to get it all. KH2's is like four hours long, and boring, and you end up switching characters after it's up. Mass Effect's world would allow for an easy way to add a completely optional, but comprehensive tutorial: VR simulation. They don't ever show VR being used (to my knowledge), but it would hardly be unbelievable. Just throw in a line like "Hey Sheppard, wanna go practice shooting/driving in the VR? Meet in such and such." Bam, instant tutorial that you can skip.

It could also have been reasonably incorporated into the character creation sequence: as you "reconstruct" your profile the VI asks you (rather naively) if you have already completed the basic "systems interface" primer or some such nonsense. Yes? Go about your business. No? Quick VR simulation.

For sure. My main point was that it could be easily and organically fit into the game without disrupting the experience for people DON'T need to do it.

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:

Ahhhh yeah.

Spoiler:
The dirty consort slut.

What? You play renegade or somethin?

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:56 am UTC

Phentos wrote:
Ian Ex Machina wrote:

Ahhhh yeah.

Spoiler:
The dirty consort slut.

Yes yes I do, as much as I'd love to care about those stupid characters who ask me to do stuff it is far more satisfying to end up killing them.
Spoiler:
You do know right that talking not very nicely o the consort after doing her quest makes you sleep with her, right.

Akula

Postby Akula » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:46 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Going to Earth's moon to blow up robots and seeing the Earth in the sky is one of my favorite moments of the game so far.

Indeed, that may of been the coolest moment in the game. Followed closely by the conversation with Vigil. Both those were very moving experiences.

The conversation with Vigil because the truth was finally revealed, and the story became that much more epic and important and... wow.

The moon was cool just because... well... it's the fucking moon! It's kind of weird to think that one day, going to the moon will be a boring experience, about on par with driving to New Jersey, that people hold with disdain. And yet here, now, I think it's safe to say any of us would do anything to have the chance. Futurama nailed the sentiment perfectly.
I mean hell, the astronauts themselves say it was infinitely more beautiful in person then the pictures can convey. The cameras were horrible resolution, and couldn't even pick up the stars... you can probably win a better camera in a box of cereal these days. So yeah, Mass Effect did a good job in capturing the essence of that whole thing. Even when you have an entire galaxy to explore... the moon is still special.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:52 am UTC

Yes yes I do, as much as I'd love to care about those stupid characters who ask me to do stuff it is far more satisfying to end up killing them.

I always do Good first. Makes the second play-thru more satisfying.

Gotta love how
Spoiler:
Two out of three end game options are evil, huh?

Akula

Postby Akula » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:01 am UTC

Phentos wrote:

Indeed.
Not to mention, it takes some foreknowledge and creativity to be REALLY evil. You can choose the lower, mean response every time and be evil. But to be truly evil takes some neutral and nice responses... all your doing is teeing your victim up before taking a bat to them. :twisted:
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:21 am UTC

Akula wrote:
Phentos wrote:

Indeed.
Not to mention, it takes some foreknowledge and creativity to be REALLY evil. You can choose the lower, mean response every time and be evil. But to be truly evil takes some neutral and nice responses... all your doing is teeing your victim up before taking a bat to them. :twisted:

Exactly!

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:14 am UTC

Phentos wrote:
Ian Ex Machina wrote:

Ahhhh yeah.

Spoiler:
The dirty consort slut.

It's a neutral action.

After you talk to Septimus (who, for some reason, is by far my favorite NPC minor character in the game. Just everything about him), go talk to the Elcor, and then go back to her. After she says her pseudo-mystical BS, say "Is that all?" and she'll nail you and afterwards give you the trinket to unlock the Prothean artifact on one of the UCWs (but if you do the Elcor quest before talking to her she'll give you the trinket no matter what. If you don't, you can never get the trinket.)

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:53 am UTC

I'm going to go ahead and call that renegade. A lot of the middle-placed options are actually renegade
Spoiler:
like the end game middle, for instance.

You just typically wont get as much renegade for it.

Yeah, I unlocked that deal my first run thru. Pretty neat.

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:15 am UTC

As far as I know, you don't get any Renegade points for it.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

I am thinking about getting Mass Effect, does it use Securom protection?
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:I am thinking about getting Mass Effect, does it use Securom protection?

It's a 360 game.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:56 pm UTC

The games amazing, but it had a few major hang ups for me.

Mass Effects don't work on enemies that fly. At all. Well, the important at least. Throw? Singularity? These things should destroy those little hovering demons. Levitate? Fine. I'll give them levitate, but the other two should have serious consequences for things that are already airborne.

My main party on my "Insanity" playthrough is an adept, kaidan, and Liara (2.5 biotic, .5 tech. 3 pistols (only mine has any training in pistols, 3 points), 3x light armor). We can swirl rooms full of enemies. Put me against two enemies that fly? We're doomed. Really frustrating.

Also on my list of frustrations is the Mako. The handling on this thing is horrid. I hate whoever invented "video game" style vehicle handling. When I push the button/stick/pedal to go forward I want my vehicle to go forward in the direction its facing, not forward in the direction my camera is facing. Did someone think that kids today were too stupid to control a vehicle properly? This is particularly frustrating when I'm trying to shoot things to the side of me while driving on a narrow bridge or ledge or when I'm trying to do something which should be simple but isn't, like turning while backing up (this is impossible). SO frustrating.

Oh, and the weapons could have used some variance in terms of appearance. They all looked like the same basic model reskinned within a given weapon type.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:57 pm UTC

I don't know if this has been said, but in this month's EGM it said that Mass Effect 2 and 3 will both be published by Microsoft, and they will both be 360 exclusives.

Now, I don't if that is a good or bad thing to you guys, but I don't think that rules out Mass Effect 1 being on the PC. Maybe only Games for Windows or something.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

I hope MS lets them make use of the hard drive. At the very least put in some detection routine that lets the game load to the hard drive so a) the elevators aren't painfully slow. The Normandy's designers must have been playing a practical joke when they decided to put both the galaxy's most advanced drive and slowest elevator in it. And b) so there's not a LOADING message every 20 steps. Thanks for breaking up my experience while trying to hide that with elevators!

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I hope MS lets them make use of the hard drive. At the very least put in some detection routine that lets the game load to the hard drive so a) the elevators aren't painfully slow. The Normandy's designers must have been playing a practical joke when they decided to put both the galaxy's most advanced drive and slowest elevator in it. And b) so there's not a LOADING message every 20 steps. Thanks for breaking up my experience while trying to hide that with elevators!

How often your xbox has to load is actually 90% your xbox -- later generations are faster, people who don't treat them well tend to have lint-soaked cpus which brings up the heat. For instance, in my Gen 1 (which only red-ringed a couple weeks ago, after thousands of hours of play) had trouble getting past intro screens, whereas my latest-gen replacement never gives me a loading notice. Ever. (bear in mind that there are loading messages in game -- they should be rare, however, if your system is in good shape.

Which, I postulate, is why all elevators take the same amount of time regardless of how much ground covered. The normandy needing to load, obviously, that ridiculous drive core which would crash almost anything.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

Phentos wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:I hope MS lets them make use of the hard drive. At the very least put in some detection routine that lets the game load to the hard drive so a) the elevators aren't painfully slow. The Normandy's designers must have been playing a practical joke when they decided to put both the galaxy's most advanced drive and slowest elevator in it. And b) so there's not a LOADING message every 20 steps. Thanks for breaking up my experience while trying to hide that with elevators!

How often your xbox has to load is actually 90% your xbox -- later generations are faster, people who don't treat them well tend to have lint-soaked cpus which brings up the heat. For instance, in my Gen 1 (which only red-ringed a couple weeks ago, after thousands of hours of play) had trouble getting past intro screens, whereas my latest-gen replacement never gives me a loading notice. Ever. (bear in mind that there are loading messages in game -- they should be rare, however, if your system is in good shape.

Which, I postulate, is why all elevators take the same amount of time regardless of how much ground covered. The normandy needing to load, obviously, that ridiculous drive core which would crash almost anything.

I have a launch Elite (old heatsink design) in very good shape, and I get loading screens all over the damned place. It's insane, I'm not the only one who gets them, and precaching in the hard drive would prevent EVERYONE with a hard drive from seeing them, except that MS decided not to make it a required part of the system.

On the other hand, I'd be perfectly fine with it failing since I want the updated hardware, but don't want to pay for it.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:20 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
lowbart wrote:I am thinking about getting Mass Effect, does it use Securom protection?

It's a 360 game.

Really? Those bastards.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

Amen, man.

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

I postulate that they'll wait for it to go Platinum then release for Vista, like they did Halo 2.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

Noooo! Not Vista! ANYTHING but Vista! D=

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Noooo! Not Vista! ANYTHING but Vista! D=

Why?

Hephesus

Postby Hephesus » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:19 am UTC

This game is not perfect by any means. I hate the inventory system and, on my xbox at least, it takes about 5 seconds to load the textures, thought the frame rate is smooth after that. Based on what I've heard, I should count myself lucky! This game also has not tutorial to speak of.

But I love the space exploration... even if the worlds are somewhat barren. It is more or less like I would imagine unexplored world exploration being in real life. The characters are also good and the story is seems to be pretty good so far. I am the type of player that likes to take things slow with his RPG, so I am still generally drifiting throught the systems.

The dialog trees are wonderful, and it made me realize how much I missed that simple roleplaying component after months of playing Oblivion.

But mostly, I enjoy the many sci-fi "references". It seems they have read and watched my favorite sci-fi. While many would consider this to be unoriginal, I kind of enjoy these nods to books and movies, regardless of whether they are intentional.

Also, the music reminds of when my dad took me to the planetarium as a child :-p

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:48 am UTC

Update: Bioware has announced that Mass Effect will be released for PC. The announcement doesn't say anything about it being a Vista exclusive (phew!). I'm very happy, now all I have to spend is the price of the game and some more RAM rather than the game and a hole XBox 360.

Return to “Gaming”