Zelda

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CrackTheSky

Zelda

Postby CrackTheSky » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

Looked for a topic, and was surprised one hadn't been made yet.

So what's your favorite Zelda game, and why? I love Zelda personally, I've been playing it since...well, I don't know when; I can tell you that the first Zelda game I ever played was Link's Awakening for the original Game Boy. I've played (though not necessarily beaten) almost every Zelda game from the original to Windwaker...I think (and not counting the CDI crap).

What prompted me to start this thread was the fact that I just recently started playing Ocarina of Time on my N64 the other night for the billionth time. It takes me away every time I start over, and no matter how many times that is, I love it just the same as I did the first time I played it.

However, I'd have to say my favorite of the series that I've played is Majora's Mask, for N64...the story is fantastic, and I love the minigame/sidequest-oriented gameplay. I can understand people not liking it, especially those who prefer a beefy main quest in favor of a bunch of little sidequests, as well as the whole saving system, but in my opinion that's what makes the game better. I also really love the atmosphere throughout the game, and watching how NPCs change as the moon comes closer and closer to Termina...by the end the mood gets very dark, even a little frightening. The doomsday-like feel to the game is probably better in MM than in any other game I've ever played. It's just so...tangible.

In addition, I'm also REALLY fond of pretty much every setting in the game. Every place has a very unique and memorable feel to it - the business of Clock Town, the serenity of Great Bay, the very ancient, heavy feeling you get when you walk into Ikana Canyon the first time...

And like I already said, the game is much more story-driven than I think any other Zelda game I've played so far, which is a huge bonus. I also love speculating to myself about the origins of the similarities between Termina and Hyrule, and stuff like that. It's overall just a very rich, deep game, much more so than Ocarina of Time (which I still positively adore, don't get me wrong).

So, yeah, what's your opinion? And to those of you who have played Twilight Princess: Would it be worth my $45 to get it for my GameCube?

Gunfingers

Re: Zelda

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

I played a little Zelda back in the day, but not alot. Ocarina of Time was the first i played all the way through, and i liked it. My girlfriend and i played Twilight Princess, and i thought it was way better than Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but that was partially because of all the awesomeness that came with the Wii. Gamecube mileage may vary.

Prole

Postby Prole » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

I loved the minish cap, and am really looking forward to phantom hourglass.

I think the minish cap reminded me of chrono trigger though, which might explain why i liked it so damn much.

I really liked some of the puzzles to do with shrinking yourself, really made you think hard spatially, very cool indeed!

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

CrackTheSky wrote:So, yeah, what's your opinion? And to those of you who have played Twilight Princess: Would it be worth my $45 to get it for my GameCube?

If it's anything like Twilight Princess for Wii?

Yes. VERY YES.

Also, I've played a little bit of Phantom Hourglass on my friend's DS. I drew Top Hat Guy with the boomerang.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

Me and my brother saved quarters for months to buy Ocarina of time when it came out, and we certainly got our money's worth out of it.
I didn't like it so much at first, but I really like WindWaker.

Haven't played Twilight Princess yet, will probably get to it over the holidays, but my brothers loves it.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

I literally sit here and type while dressed in my Link costume.
I loves me some Zelda.
(tl;dr version of below: Did I mention I love Zelda?)

<tl;dr>My first was Link's Awakening, and probably the most special to me because of that. I played that game nonstop for two years. Then I saw Link to the Past in Toys 'R' Us and flipped out. Played that for a year straight. Nearly pissed my pants at the first screens of Ocarina. Played the demo in the store until other kids' moms got mad, heh heh. Devoured it once I got it.
Majora's Mask was the first limited edition Zelda I ever got (woo holo cartridge!). I like it for a lot of the reasons you do, the atmosphere, story, and minigames. After all the ones I have, it's still the easiest to pick up and play.
Then I decided to jump into the Wayback Machine and see how the first two Zeldas were. Both games kicked my ass and called me a loser, and I enjoyed them both. Wind Waker was astounding in its depth and expressiveness. It felt like old school with new paint (good thing, IMO). Minish Cap was nice, and unique, but I always got bored at the end. Also, never bothered with the Oracle series. Can't place why.</tl;dr>

As for Twilight Princess... I've never played it on the 'Cube but the Wiimote added a good amount of interactivity to the game. I wouldn't buy it on the 'Cube if you have a Wii, but if not it's better to play it on something, amirite? Not my favorite, and is WAY more story-driven than even MM, and I have some other (spoileriffic) issues with it, but it is still a great game.
YOU HAS FEESH?!

CrackTheSky

Postby CrackTheSky » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

Eleven wrote:Majora's Mask was the first limited edition Zelda I ever got (woo holo cartridge!)</tl;dr>

Haha, I think almost every MM cartridge is gold/holo. The plain gray ones are harder to find (if they exist at all, don't quote me on that).

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:53 pm UTC

Zelda is easily my favourite game. OoT was what originally got me into playing music and I especially loved it. I didn't experiment much with the other games of the franchise very much (I never liked the 2D ones, probably because of how bad I was). I thought WW was good and enjoyable, but the parry made it much too easy. I did like how it allowed the player to fight huge hoards of enemies. That was fun. The sailing mechanic was tedious and the wind waker was weird and unsatisfying. Twilight Princess fixed all those problems though. It was really an excellent game, almost as good as OoT. It's definitely worth $45.

And yes, my MM cartridge is gold/holo too. Hehe.

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

SSSHHH! Don't ruin my fangirl fantasies!

Although the NES Zeldas I have are gold too. Those I had to look for.
*dreams of a gold Ocarina cartridge so she can have a glitch exploit holiday*
YOU HAS FEESH?!

CrackTheSky

Postby CrackTheSky » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

Eleven wrote:SSSHHH! Don't ruin my fangirl fantasies!

Although the NES Zeldas I have are gold too. Those I had to look for.
*dreams of a gold Ocarina cartridge so she can have a glitch exploit holiday*

At a used CD store near my house, they had one of those for sale for $10.99. Dunno why I didn't buy it; hopefully it'll still be there on my next visit home.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

The first one I ever played was Ocarina of Time and I still love it today. A while after I sold my N64, I actually bought a GameCube because it came with OoT and Master Quest. Of the two of those, I prefer Master Quest, but only because it's still relatively new to me. OoT had me absolutely hooked, and I still love playing it today. Not too shaby for a game that's nearly 10 years old!!! 8) I've also played Links Awakening, which i thought was pretty good, but didn't think it was amazing, mainly because of my love for OoT, and I have Links Awakening on my GBA, but I still haven't gotten around to completing it. I picked up Majora's Mask while I still had my N64 (gold cartridge - I've never actually seen a grey one, are people sure they even exist?) and I enjoyed that quite a bit. I think OoT was the better of the two games, but MM was a solid follow-up and had an awful lot of features I wish were in OoT (I love swimming around the place as a Zora :D ) I also really enjoyed Wind Waker, and I never thought I'd like the graphics as much as I did. When I first saw them, they really put me off, but I noticed that after playing the game for 5 minutes, I didn't notice them at all, and it worked well with the comedic segments they put in.

I've played and completed Twilight Princess and I can definately see myself really falling in love with this one as much as I did OoT, the only real thing that stops me playing it all the time is that my bedroom is a little small (I'm British, for all Americans reading, think "closet") and so my Wii lives down in the living room, so I have to turn it off when other people want to watch TV.

Twilight Princess is absolutely briliant on the Wii, the controls add so much to the game. As far as I'm aware, the GameCube version is exactly the same as the Wii version, but everything's reversed, maps and characters (otherwise it would feel strange to wave the Wiimote in your right hand and have Link slashing away with his left), so if you have a Wii, definately get that version, but if you only have a GameCube, getting Twilight Princess is definately worth it. Twilight Princess is almost manditory for any respectable game collection
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Chaos9

Postby Chaos9 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:56 pm UTC

OoT. Need I say more?

Well, I will. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's to short. I first played it when I was four, and back then I used guides and codes to do everything, so it kinda ruined the experience. Now I know how to do everything, and I cannot erase my memorie and start it over, but boy, if I could...
I intend to keep my post count at 42 for the rest of my life.

Pause

Postby Pause » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

Majora's Mask is probably also my favourite. I've written at length about it elsewhere, but basically OoT and MM are flip sides of the same coin: the former is the dungeons, a linear path from start to end; the latter the overworld, with side quests and secrets in every nook and cranny. OoT was an astonishing game at the time, but for the atmosphere it generated I probably look back a little more fondly on MM. I can spend much longer in its 'world' without worrying about the next game objective.

LttP is up next. Really, it's about as close to perfect as a singleplayer game ever gets. So beautifully complete. Atmosphere is the only place MM can properly trump it. Hence why MM and OoT together form a single entity: Ocarina has the dungeons Majora was lacking, Majora has the secret- and quest-filled overworld Ocarina was missing. OoT+MM=LttP.

In retrospect I was probably a little harsh on WW at the time. It's grown on me since release, although I suspect that's as much selective memory blotting out all the awkward sailing bits and constant wind direction changes as anything else.

CrackTheSky wrote:And to those of you who have played Twilight Princess: Would it be worth my $45 to get it for my GameCube?

Since you love OoT so much, then yes. There's very little fundamentally new there; it's essentially OoT v2.0, but it sounds like that would be plenty enough for you.

There's no overall advantage or disadvantage in getting the GC version over the Wii. The sword controls make more sense on the former, aiming with bow, hookshot etc. is more natural on the latter. It's personal preference which is superior.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

Favorite? I'm going to be the blacksheep here and say that Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is my favorite Zelda game. Wait, scratch that. It's my favorite game of all time.

Why? Partially nostalgia, but besides Link's Awakening, it's the one good Zelda game that's actually difficult. I thought that the RPG elements worked very well, and I was a huge fan of the side-scrolling gameplay. I'm tired of Zelda games being too easy, so going back to the originals is a nice change.

(And on a side note, I thought the original Legend of Zelda was more cheaply difficult by far than any of the others, despite the whole "Hit an enemy, fall into a pit" thing that Zelda II had going for it at some points.)

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:23 am UTC

You're all so young.

The first one I played was, well, the first Zelda. Link to the Past, for the SNES, I think that was probably my favorite. But, I never got an N64 and I didn't play OoT until much more recently. Still haven't beaten it. Windwaker was fun, and I haven't tried Twilight Princess yet.

Edit: Maybe you're not young. Not trying to be insulting or anything. But when people say OoT is the first Zelda they played, I have to wonder.
Last edited by Dan Frank on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CrackTheSky

Postby CrackTheSky » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:24 am UTC

Pause wrote:LttP is up next. Really, it's about as close to perfect as a singleplayer game ever gets. So beautifully complete. Atmosphere is the only place MM can properly trump it. Hence why MM and OoT together form a single entity: Ocarina has the dungeons Majora was lacking, Majora has the secret- and quest-filled overworld Ocarina was missing. OoT+MM=LttP.

Hmm. I played LttP for the GBA (I assume there's very little difference, if any, between that and the SNES version) and it never really grabbed me. I had fun with it, but it challenged and frustrated me quite a bit. I also wasn't fond of how the world was split up - I prefer the one-screen-tiles, like the first Zelda and all the other handheld Zeldas (up to that point, at least; never played Minish Cap or anything after it). It may sound like a dumb thing to get in the way of my enjoyment of the game, but for whatever reason, it did.

So...yeah, for me, LttP would actually rank pretty low on the ladder. Like I said though, I enjoyed it, I just didn't get absorbed with it like I do with pretty much every other Zelda game.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Dan Frank wrote:You're all so young.

The first one I played was, well, the first Zelda. Link to the Past, for the SNES, I think that was probably my favorite. But, I never got an N64 and I didn't play OoT until much more recently. Still haven't beaten it. Windwaker was fun, and I haven't tried Twilight Princess yet.

Edit: Maybe you're not young. Not trying to be insulting or anything. But when people say OoT is the first Zelda they played, I have to wonder.

Oh come on. I didn't even mention Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess!

Edit: I'm only 18, though..

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:30 am UTC

Shadic wrote:

Oh come on. I didn't even mention Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess!

Edit: I'm only 18, though..

Yeah I know, I wasn't counting you. I loved Adventure of Link, by the way. I sucked really badly at it, but I loved it.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:15 am UTC

I remember playing Link to the Past at a friends house, the first game system in my house was an N64 though.

LttP was good, but I do think the later games were better, except Majora's Mask which I despise.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

For a long time, the only Zelda game I'd ever played was The Legend Of Zelda. Damn, that game was awesome... I've picked up Twilight Princess. It's a good game, but it just isn't as enthralling as the first one was. I will probably play Ocarina of Time on the VC after I finish TP.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:31 pm UTC

I must agree the original (nes) Zelda was revolutionary to me. It had a freaking save feature. My favorite though is Link to the Past, that top down style will always be associated with Zelda for me. Because of that, ocarina and later is fun, but isn't associated in my mind with the same Zelda as the first ones. The gameboy versions though fit the bill. Zelda 2 is in it's own strange category, one that still kicks my ass even to today.

Oh and because nobody's mentioned it, I will give four swords lots of love. The single player version is pretty unique and I liked the puzzles. But it's the multi player that takes it. Seriously it with my group of friends it was nearly constant infighting with brief moments of cooperation to solve the puzzle. And I enjoyed every minute of it.
This space intentionally left blank.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

Old joke

Code: Select all

<a href="the past">The Legend of Zelda</a>

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:Old joke

Code: Select all

<a href="the past">The Legend of Zelda</a>

LOL! I remember seeing that joke in middle school. NOBODY else got it. Feh.

@chaosspawn: I love Four Swords too. Unfortunately, I'm usually playing the single player campaign. I had one friend who would play though, and we'd always steal each other's Links for some reason.
"I want the blue one!"
"No, he's mine, you get purple!"
"No way! He's on 'roids!"
"FINE! *steals both* LINK TRAAAAAIIIIN!"

We never got past the Village of the Blue Maiden. :mrgreen:
YOU HAS FEESH?!

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

Eleven wrote:I had one friend who would play though, and we'd always steal each other's Links for some reason.
"I want the blue one!"
"No, he's mine, you get purple!"
"No way! He's on 'roids!"
"FINE! *steals both* LINK TRAAAAAIIIIN!"

That was pretty much the issue when I played with my friend, as well. We managed to beat the game, though.

And we played maybe a few times with a third person, but they were generally lacking in skill. So, one of us would have to pick him up and carry him through the boring sections of the level, and then throw him down when it was time to stab some enemies.

Nobody could ever compete with me in the "Shadow Battle" option in Four Swords Adventure, though. :| I seriously beat my friend with maximum handicaps, so I was starting with 1 or 2 hearts, and he had 5 or something... And he's a good Zelda player as well.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Thread necromancy

I agree, majora's mask holds a special place in my heart. I loved how they gave all the NPC's schedules to act by. I loved the tension on the third day, I loved four different races with their respected abilities at your arsenal, etc. I'd list more stuff that I loved about it but the last time I played it was when I was 10.

They really need it for virtual console. I mean c'mon, why does pokemon snap take precedence over Majora's Mask
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

CrackTheSky

Postby CrackTheSky » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:21 am UTC

I'm playing through Wind Waker right now. It's pretty fun, I gotta say. It doesn't have the hold over me that the N64 Zeldas do, but it's definitely a worthy game so far. Graphics and style are cool, the sailing is annoying though. That's my main problem with it so far - a boring overworld. Not much to look at, very little to actually do, and when you get to an island and find that you don't have the proper tools to do the puzzle on the island or whatever, it's pretty frustrating. The gameplay mechanics are awesome though - I love the fighting in the game and it's awesome to finally see some unique items in my inventory. Some of the puzzles are truly mind-bending, some of the best I've ever seen in a Zelda game. The story is actually pretty interesting, cliche as it is. I wish there were more memorable NPCs, though.

So far, I'd rate it a 3, maybe 3.5/5 so far. Hopefully it'll get more interesting as it progresses (SPOILERS I just got to the part where Tetra becomes Princess Zelda), but so far I'm pretty entertained.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

My favorite has to be Zelda Classic.
User-created quests, customizable graphics, and new content constantly being created.

...wait, I suppose that doesn't count as it's not "official".

My favorite will probably always be the first Legend of Zelda, although admittedly that's partly due to the nostalgia and thinking about it in terms of when it came out. I mean, LttP was also really good, and I think if I ever got around to playing OoT I'd also really like that just as well. KF
Last edited by Kizyr on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~Kizyr

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

Aradae wrote:They really need it for virtual console. I mean c'mon, why does pokemon snap take precedence over Majora's Mask

I just bought the gamecube rerelease and have been playing it on the wii.

Also, I just got phantom hourglass, so that's been consuming my soul of late.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:38 pm UTC

Um, that was my first Zelda game too. I think I was a little too young for it at the time though. I had a lot of trouble wrapping my head around it, since I'd only ever played Mario. (Off topic: does anyone else kind of feel nostalgic for the days when "inappropriate" games would just confuse and bore kids, instead of giving them nightmares? :\ )

I never had many games or systems, so I missed out on Zelda II and all the Gameboy iterations. Link to the Past was the first one I really enjoyed, and it's still my favorite. I didn't get an N64 until last year, when I bought it at a thrift store, with Ocarina of Time still in it. $10 for the whole thing. :O

Aradae wrote:They really need it for virtual console. I mean c'mon, why does pokemon snap take precedence over Majora's Mask

They've been really slow with releasing N64 games... I think there may be some emulation problems with the system, but I don't really know.
You don't make them touch!

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:They've been really slow with releasing N64 games... I think there may be some emulation problems with the system, but I don't really know.

I think they're also trying not to blow their whole N64 load at once. The 64 had a totally trivial number of *really good* games, whereas the NES, SNES, Genesis, and so forth had TONS. So if they released N64 games at the same rate they released the others, they'd be done by....three months ago.

They/them

Jakarias

Postby Jakarias » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

Majora's Mask had a dark edge to it which I really liked.

Well worth hunting down that Expansion Pak for!
Passion without Logic is reckless. Logic without Passion is pointless. Are YOU a pointless person?

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

Hahah, our N64 had the expansion pack in it when we bought it.

This is a thing I didn't realize until I had spent a serious amount of time trying to hunt one down.

Someone asked what I was doing, and I was like "trying to find an N64 memory expansion"

"Oh, you mean like a memory card?"

"No no, it's not storage, it's like a RAM expansion. It was a reddish thing that you plugged in right here... ::opens the expansion slot for the first time:: and it looks......exactly.....like.......that. ::closes out Ebay browser tab:: Nevermind"

They/them

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

I got my expansion pack with a free game.
Yay donkey kong 64. Such a horrible game, but it came with the expansion pack.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 pm UTC

I have played #1 like 10 times and love it dearly. I still dream I'm in the overworld somewhere and, like, have to pick up my wife or something who's over by where the level 8 entrance is. Course then I forgot my candle so I can't burn the tree to get down there and...

I played the second one quite a bit but never finished it. I think I was just too young and it was too hard. I should get back to it but I hated the up and down fighting you had to do with the nights.

I played the SNES one briefly and it just never sat well with me. Never liked it. Never played any of the N64, GC, Wii ones. If I ever get a Wii, I might pick up twighlight princess but maybe not. Action/adventure games with platforming elements are like poison to me.

I did pick up the Phantom Hourglass for the DS though and am almost at the end. It's a great little game that doesn't take itself too seriously and I can appreciate that.

The best is definitely the original. If it weren't so ridiculously awesome, there wouldn't be all these sequels with such pressure to not only make a new game but make it an historically awesome game. Hell, it even caused a battery shortage!
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Jakarias

Postby Jakarias » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

I recommend the 3d console Zelda titles but for me they are an entirely different animal to the top-down 2d games. Love them both though!

Never had the hardware to do the whole linking thing with the Oracle games unfortunately!
Passion without Logic is reckless. Logic without Passion is pointless. Are YOU a pointless person?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

Link's Awakening. First one I played too. I've played through that one so many times, and the ability to not have the sword equipped makes me forever dislike all the other Zelda games compared to it. Second favorite was Majora's Mask. Too short though, first day I played it, got very annoyed because that stupid brazier in the dungeon would not light under any circumstances...then came back to the game a month later and beat it, and collected all the masks in a day. Ocarina of Time was ok, but seriously, Zelda has no right to have the triforce of wisdom, and I'd already gotten sick of the save the damsel in distress motif in every nintendo game without even having to play them. Though there was plenty of stuff to do, still have to collect those last 4 big poes and I'll have everything though. And I just really disliked Wind Waker. It was more of the same annoying things from OoT, only now we've replaced anything that makes it resemble difficult with boring boat rides. Didn't even bother to finish it, mainly wanted the game for Master Quest...

I've played some other Zeldagames, but don't see why they're touted as some of the greatest games ever made...but maybe that's just because I grew up with a Genesis :P

izealand

Postby izealand » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:08 am UTC

OoT was my first time and the first large computer game I ever played, its literally dripping with magic moments and fun, ive played ever Zelda game I've got the correct console for and all have been good, but just like Christmas the magic i feel is fading every year.

But still they are all among the best video games i have ever played and thier play time rivals some of the heavyweight multi-player games I have owned (smash bros, TS2 ect)

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:24 am UTC

I still love Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time because they had a semblance of evolution. Wind Waker (and the new Twilight Princess) have a semi-cohesive world and better controls but essentially the same gameplay and problems. (For example, context-sensitive "action" buttons kill immersion.)

Majora's Mask is the only Zelda game I really see as actually bad, though. Well, besides the terrible live-action CD ones :).

Jakarias

Postby Jakarias » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:35 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Link's Awakening. First one I played too. I've played through that one so many times, and the ability to not have the sword equipped makes me forever dislike all the other Zelda games compared to it. Second favorite was Majora's Mask. Too short though, first day I played it, got very annoyed because that stupid brazier in the dungeon would not light under any circumstances...then came back to the game a month later and beat it, and collected all the masks in a day. Ocarina of Time was ok, but seriously, Zelda has no right to have the triforce of wisdom, and I'd already gotten sick of the save the damsel in distress motif in every nintendo game without even having to play them. Though there was plenty of stuff to do, still have to collect those last 4 big poes and I'll have everything though. And I just really disliked Wind Waker. It was more of the same annoying things from OoT, only now we've replaced anything that makes it resemble difficult with boring boat rides. Didn't even bother to finish it, mainly wanted the game for Master Quest...

I've played some other Zeldagames, but don't see why they're touted as some of the greatest games ever made...but maybe that's just because I grew up with a Genesis :P

You Genesis children... always so bitter.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:35 pm UTC

Jakarias wrote:You Genesis children... always so bitter.

You're just jealous of the blast processing :P

Return to “Gaming”