Nobilis

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Matthias

Re: Nobilis

Postby Matthias » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

There are a boatload of people who would probably tell you that Nobilis is a bad game to start your RP career with. I, on the other hand, would say it depends on what kind of person you are, and what type of game you prefer.

Compared to, say, DnD, I would call Nobilis very rules-lite and very roleplaying heavy. I'm not saying you couldn't make a straight-up combat-focused character in Nobilis--you could definitely be a munchkin if you really wanted to. But whether you want to be the kind of player who focuses on characterization and storylines, or the high-aspect guy who clobbers everything and, I dunno, throws asteroids at people, you'll need a good degree of imagination and cleverness to be effective in that role. Granted, any RPG requires imagination, but I would say that Nobilis requires it more than most others--and carries the most reward for it as well.

I get the feeling I'm making the game intimidating, so let me just break it down like this: join the game. Have fun. Even if you find you don't like the flavor of Nobilis, or if the game falls apart completely, at least you'll learn something about your personal roleplaying tastes.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

Not that intimidating - it would be *much* harder face-to-face, for instance. Oh, and I found the .pdf! It makes for long reading.
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

Hmm... I can has link, perhaps? I've found a torrent or two, but they never seem to work for me. Maybe it's just the limitations of the internet over here.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

I just downloaded it and have begun reading, but i've never liked reading whole books in pdf for some reason so it might take me a while to get through it. So far however, it looks really great and very interresting.

Here's a link by the way. I hope it works.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm UTC

I found a torrent, but I guess Direct Download works too. (If you want the torrent, I'm seeding)
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

She

Postby She » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to seed the one you got from me. Am now though.
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

Excellent; download is at 47% *knocks on wood*

By the by, you might also be interested in leafing through Unlikely Flowerings, a free supplement from Eos Press, the people allegedly coming out with the next edition of Nobilis. It's written by R. Sean Borgstrom herself, which is awesome. On the other hand, it was supposed to be the first of a three-parter, and the new edition was supposed to come out late last year. :(

Anyway. Right. Unlikely Flowerings. I would really only recommend reading it after you are, at the least, acquainted with the process of character creation as outlined in the core book. It gives a few "extra" character attributes which you can optionally use, all of which are a bit more complex than the base attributes. If I end up being the HG for this game, I would allow players to use anything from the book except Patronage, which I don't like because it encourages the assignment of arbitrary Virtues. If you've got Virtue(s) that fit with your character concept, and can make a good case for it, I might let this restriction slide--but you would have to be pretty bodacious to convince me to allow a Patronage score higher than 2. Plus if you can use it, NPCs can use it. Just sayin'...

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:14 am UTC

I'm working my way through the rulebook right now. Does anyone else understand the Rite of Holy Fire? It seems to me like there is no price for performing it at any of the given power levels except for the duration. Is this a correct interpretation? Or am I misunderstanding it?

(On a side note, it has occurred to me that Joss Whedon must be the Dominus of Fiction)
All is well. We are not like the others.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

Ooh I have the pdf somewhere, although I tried to read it last time over night and my ead just wouldn't take it all in, however if there is gonna be a session here i'll reread it.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:40 am UTC

Massive bump. Yay!

Does anyone know where I can pay Nobilis PbP? or even chat or e-mail? Basically, I really want to play this game and don't know any real life peoples who'd be interested. I know there was a little talk of folks here playing, but I don't know if that ever happened. Thanks for any info!

Stormlock

Postby Stormlock » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:00 am UTC

I'd be interested in this too. I like the idea of having such an open game, I consider that to be basically the spirit of RPGs to begin with, inventing solutions to problems. 'I pick the lock on the door' vs 'I smash the door' gets dull after a while.
ImageImage

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:30 am UTC

I've never played a pen and paper rpg, but I've done a few forum rpg's about the place. I'd be interested in a play by post or something.

Iv

Postby Iv » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

I would be quite selfishly interested in the torrent (or a pointer about where to get the book for a decent price in France). I follow this thread with interest. I used to GM a Amber game through IRC and email and I got addicted to the simple rule system. Amber however makes it difficult to play in any other setting than the Amber Universe...

livemansleeping

Postby livemansleeping » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:55 am UTC

Hey, i've been a long time avid supporter of Nobilis... i've played an Amber game or two as well, I would say that while Amber and Nobilis are extremely similar in style, their details are incredibly different. you cannot play nobilis with amber, and vica versa, but they are pretty similar to each other.

Every few months i go on what i call 'a Nobilis bender' because i don't really have any one around who would be able to HG for it and barely enough people to play it. (HG-ing for Nobilis is HARD...) so my interest is also piqued by the idea of an online game. the problem being that every online game i've heard of involving Nobilis some how never managed to get off the ground. which is sad. :'(

But... whatever, its a good time, and just reading the book and stating up my own entertaining characters has always been fun. any body have any entertaining Nobilis character concepts they wanna share? i'm always interested in hearing new ideas... and if a game DOES get off the ground, that'd be badass.
i am livemansleeping, if you happen to see deadmanwalking, lemme know... >heh.<

livemansleeping

Postby livemansleeping » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:56 am UTC

*note i'm aware no one is on this forum, but figured i'd yell into thin air any way.*
i am livemansleeping, if you happen to see deadmanwalking, lemme know... >heh.<

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:46 am UTC

There are plenty of people on the forum, just, no one posting in this thread for a while. If I remember correctly, I was going to make an avatar of data. He'd be able to digitize himself and become the internet, or some such. It's been a while and I can't really remember the details.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:50 am UTC

I think it would be really fun to come up with characters, even if we *sniffle* never play. I've had a couple of ideas but I've never played (any table top rpg) so I don't really know what kind of character would work well. I'll see what I can come up with and post when I have something. Wee! An excuse to be creative!

InfamousAnarchist

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:58 am UTC

Nemiro wrote:What happened to the .pdf for this? (I'll have to google if it is no longer "available" here..) I've never role-played before (and perhaps this is not the best thing to start with) but this sounds damn cool. It also reminds me of a book series.. (Arthur Pendragon, houses, days of the week.. can't remember if the series actually had a name)

Are we thinking, as I assume we are, of the Keys to the Kingdom series of Garth Nix fame? I believe this is the book you were thinking of.

ON TOPIC: HOMG this looks amazing. I don't really want to pay $200 or however much, though. And despite my username, acquiring things legally is a good thing in my eyes.
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

Velocirapture

Postby Velocirapture » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

I just stumbled across this thread while wandering around the internet looking for Nobilis related "stuff."

It's nice to see other people out there who like the game but can't find anyone to really play it with ... sad, of course, but nice to know you're not alone.

If a play by post game ever comes to pass I'd love to toss my hat in the ring as an interested player.

She

Postby She » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

I won't sign up for a game right now, but a tip for everyone is the mailing list Nobilist, found here. It's not incredibly active, but a little, and about a week ago someone came in and looked for players for a play by mail-game. He got his players, and a lot of others (myself included) signed up to watch the game.

She

Postby She » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Necroing this thread to tell anyone interested that I will be running Nobilis for the first time next week. I will tell you about it afterwards. Until then, any tips, ideas or input for a session involving a newly enNobled Familia finding themselves invited to Heaven are welcome. I'd much appreciate any interesting characters, places or events that I may shamelessly steal to avoid taxing my own strained creativity as much.

EDIT: Update. I have now played it for the first time! It didn't go that well, but the players enjoyed it and we will play again. They got introduced to the world and their estates, got themselves some anchors and then were sent up to heaven on a mission from their temporarily-exiled angel Imperator. The Power of Time, ot to stop time, the Power of Machinery got to create various machinery and the Power of the Weather, sadly didn't get a good chance to use his domain.

From the next session onwards, though, I will try very hard to run it more free-for-all, as opposed to the railroad plot I used this time. I've heard people say that Nobilis runs best as some kind of soap opera with just enough varied input to keep the family going by themselves, most of the time acting against the npcs rather than reacting to them.

She

Postby She » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:32 pm UTC

Necroing again to inform that there has been life signs from the third edition publisher!
Here is a thread frequently visited by Dr Jenna Moran herself (previously known as R. Sean Borgstrom, no idea personally about the reason for the name change). A lot of interesting stuff is said there, and the third edition is, by the looks of it, coming out this year.

She

Postby She » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

The third edition is now out! Here is the publisher's website, where it can be bought.

SilentOne

Postby SilentOne » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Anybody here? Is there any interest in playing Nobilis as play by e-mail?

Velocirapture

Postby Velocirapture » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

Yep, I'm still here (thanks to remembering to click "notify me when a reply is posted").

I'm interested in a PbM game.

Return to “Gaming”