I invented an abstract strategy game.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Calculus

I invented an abstract strategy game.

Postby Calculus » Sat May 27, 2017 1:49 am UTC

Players: 2
Materials: 13 by 13 goban w/ unlimited white and black stones
Winning condition: capture at least 13 opposing pieces or force the opponent to have no legal move on their turn
Initial setup: players choose a color and place one of their stones each on the corners of their side of the board and the midpoint of their side of the board. (play is on intersections, not spaces)
Order of play: players alternate taking single turns, in which they must either place or hop.
Placing: placing a piece on an intersection a knight's move away from another of their own pieces (square root of 3 units away)
Hop: picking up a piece and moving it to an empty intersection such that the initial position a, and the terminal position c have a midpoint at b, and that that player has their own piece at b (no other angle restriction)
Capture: any opposing piece exactly on a hop line segment between a and c is captured and removed from the board. (Not all hops capture.)

Modifications:
1. Change the board size (If a side length is not 4n+1, the game changes greatly due to the way edge to edge captures work)

I've tried 9 by 9 and 17 by 17

2. Triangles instead of squares and using the shortest possible distance besides one unit than can be repeated to reach every intersection for the placing distance(significant change but quite possibly still playable)

untested

3. abc forms a right triangle with b at the right angle
4. a "slides" to or towards (quantized by the available intersections) b, capturing any opposing pieces in its path, and b "slides" to or towards c equally, capturing any opposing pieces in its path
5. Removing the need for c to be empty and making it vulnerable to capture by landing on it

I've tried combinations of these

I'm looking for constructive criticism of the game. I'm also looking for players and game records.

A notation format for placing is simply x,y

A notation for hops is turn#:x,y_xy(x,y_x,y...)

So if one hopped a piece from 1,1 to 13,13 and captured the pieces at 5,5 and 8,8 on their 20th turn: 20:1,1_13,13(5,5_8,8)

I think this notation looks terrible. Please suggest something better.

Currently I'm using a board that has extra ink on the center and edge lines and every two points along them with extra ink on the center point of each of the 4 smaller squares formed by the center and edge lines. (I made an image in GIMP and had it printed and laminated at staples) It has a much bigger space size to piece size ratio.

EDIT: I usually change the winning number of captures to match the board length/width. 9 by 9 is quick and relatively simple, with 17 by 17 being the opposite.

EDIT: What do you guys think of the name "Vector Draughts"?

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, placing does not involve "moving" a piece. It is putting a completely new piece on the board. Hopping takes one piece, and moves it directly over another piece to twice the distance between their initial positions. a is the initial position, b is the position of the piece it moves over, and c is the empty point to which the piece that is/was at point a moves to, which is the same distance away from b as a is. With the 13 by 13 board, only 1,0, 1,1, 1,2, 1,3, 2,3 and similar slopes can capture, but other hops are allowed.

EDIT: To clarify the "standard" starting position using a possible notation, 1,1 1,7 and 1,13 are where one player's starting pieces go, with 13,1 13,7 and 13,13 for the other. I've tried other starting positions which have worked, and think that variation on starting position would be good. It might be best to avoid possibilities for hops, especially those that capture, on the first turn. I generally stick to corners and their midpoints, but I doubt that is best for bigger boards.

Return to “Gaming”