X Universe

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

X Universe

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:04 pm UTC

So I was a big fan of X3 Albion Prelude. Start in dinky little ship, perform repetitive missions, gather enough money to start buying ships and stations, build an empire, use missile frigates to capture an entire fleet of ships (or just buy them), rule the universe. There are some flaws with X3 with how the economy works and how ships just spawn in the middle of nowhere, but my question is more about X Rebirth.

X Rebirth is a reimagining of X1. But, when it came out it was mostly crap, so I didn't bother. Now, with god knows how many patches later, is it worth getting? Can I reconquer the universe again with my economic empire?

CorruptUser

Re: X Universe

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:53 pm UTC

Couple of things.

Got X rebirth. Don't get unless on sale and with all addons, even in version 4 it's still practically in beta, but it's actually quite fun. Hold off a bit until 4.1 is released though.

So it was never meant to be X4, more of a minigame. Which is sad.

You only get the one ship, it's a cool ship and upgradable, but the best part of X3 was hopping into a missile frigate and laying waste to an entire sector, then hopping into a corvette just to see if you could take down a destroyer, etc.

Your companion is obnoxious. Annoying voice, and what the hell is with that stupid outfit; it's space, girl, your space suit shouldn't have a hole in your chest! Luckily there are mods to fix her, and by "fix" I mean "spay/neuter".

Certain areas are lag heavy. Damn fog cripples my computer.

Station building is both easier and harder than before. Also more fun, to be honest.

You hire crew members and so forth directly, rather than automatically getting them with your ships. This is an interesting thing, but is not implemented well. Luckily, mods fix this. But once set up, it's fun basically creating a fleet for your factories, etc.

Station scanning? Blegh. Again, mods get rid of this, thankfully.

Drones? Eh. They make combat interesting, though your ship never has as many spaces for them as you'd like, and recalling drones is a pain in the arse.

Like I said, it's ok if you want to wait for a deal, but wait for 4.1 to be released. More importantly, they announced they are making a proper X4 soon, so, just wait for that instead :P.

Koa

Postby Koa » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:51 pm UTC

They're still patching it? I'm honestly a little surprised that egosoft is still in business. I thought Rebirth was an emergency funding sort of release. They're good guys but they've been coasting on the same formula with minor updates for a decade, and then Rebirth was their breakaway to modernize but we saw how that turned out. And yeah, apparently they're going back to the old formula with X4. There must be something about German business laws that lets them stay afloat when Arcen is going under, right?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:17 am UTC

The old formula works only because no one else has been able to do it. X3:AP did it almost right; there is still that damned taxi mission bug where the script doesn't delete the mission after being offered, so the game comes to a lagging halt after 2 days of gameplay. X rebirth at this point just needs to fix the damned nebula lag, then it'd be ok. There is an awesome capital ship bridge mod that basically lets you fly cap ships, and it is awesome as you really feel like a captain of a cap ship, but the control feels a bit clunky as you truly feel like a captain of a cap ship and you give orders to your navigator as to where you want to go rather than piloting the capship directly like in X3:AP.

It's a shame, because there really is not another game in the same niche as the X series. Sure, we have space sims galore, but we don't have the proper space sim/economy simulator hybrid except X. If someone else could do it right, they'd have so much profitsss...

Koa

Postby Koa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 am UTC

The UI is very dated. You should be able to issue commands from the sector map. The sector map shouldn't only be in 2D. The universe map shouldn't be a grid. You shouldn't have to carefully place stations in your complex by trying to find the best vantage point and then have your view of the ghost be obscured by the sector map, and then cancel if your vantage point isn't clear enough, all because complex connectors have a set length that they must obey (otherwise lotsa spaghetti!). You shouldn't be able to crash into your own fired missiles without changing velocity, there should be more fluctuations in which race owns which sector and how strong their influence is, the entire economy simulation shouldn't die after a few hundred hours. Not a whole lot has changed in the past 17 years. Not that I'm necessarily demanding it to because I'm sure money is a huge issue, but then I wonder how long people are willing to be milked because I think I hit my limit. Meanwhile, a low budget innovator goes under. Such is life I guess.

I figured Elite Dangerous was going to fill the niche but I guess you can't build an empire, which seems to be the big problem with Rebirth in that they dropped the main thing they had going for them in order to go after the much larger space sim market.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 am UTC

I honestly think Rebirth was a fumble in the right direction. I glad that we finally got systems that feel organic, sort of. They just removed the best features of X3 in order to do it. I.e., the ability to pilot any ship. I liked the idea of walking around stations, but it was horribly implemented with no purpose. I mean, we could've had something where we had missions to land our ship on an enemy space super-station to rescue the princess and fight our way out, but nope.

Return to “Gaming”