Fire Emblem Thread

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vahir

Fire Emblem Thread

Postby Vahir » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:13 am UTC

There doesn't seem to currently be a Fire Emblem thread. This desperately needs to be rectified.

Mostly, I want to see what you guys think of the new, yet un-named title, due to come out in 2016:

So, they seem to be doing the pokemon thing, and releasing two different versions. This actually looks like an interesting concept, though; What I miss most in the series is the moral ambiguity that just hasn't been there since PoR/RD. One thing that does bother me is its continuing use of anime-style animations and sprites, being the europhile that I am, but it's not really a deal breaker for me.

Thoughts?

Negated

Re: Fire Emblem Thread

Postby Negated » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

This sounds like Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. The version you purchase determines which set of enemies you fight against. Based on the rumors I heard, you can get the other storyline via DLC purchases. IMO It makes more sense to give you the choice to take a side in game. But I guess grabbing money is more important for Nintendo.

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:16 am UTC

Yay, a fire emblem thread!

I was honestly quite excited when I heard about the concept for this. You get to decide which side of the war you are on based on your unique position as an individual that has close ties to both nations. I thought that this could convey that neither side is inherently evil and that every side would have friendships, find love, have children?, lose lives and so on.

But then I saw the fire emblem 'choose your path trailer' which basically asked if you wanted the peace or war nation. Peace is represented by this bright shining nation where everyone dresses in white and the water is crystal clear. War is represented by dark shots of seedy streets where everything is filmed at night.

Suddenly I am not as confident that they will pull this concept off properly.

Also, if they are releasing 2 different versions, that means that the choice isn't made in the context of the game based on which side you think is just but is a meta decision based on which version you bought at the store. I find this to be an odd decision but it will mean that I'll end up buying 2 copies of the game, so I can see why they are doing that.

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:09 pm UTC

liveboy21 wrote:Yay, a fire emblem thread!

I was honestly quite excited when I heard about the concept for this. You get to decide which side of the war you are on based on your unique position as an individual that has close ties to both nations. I thought that this could convey that neither side is inherently evil and that every side would have friendships, find love, have children?, lose lives and so on.

But then I saw the fire emblem 'choose your path trailer' which basically asked if you wanted the peace or war nation. Peace is represented by this bright shining nation where everyone dresses in white and the water is crystal clear. War is represented by dark shots of seedy streets where everything is filmed at night.

Suddenly I am not as confident that they will pull this concept off properly.

Also, if they are releasing 2 different versions, that means that the choice isn't made in the context of the game based on which side you think is just but is a meta decision based on which version you bought at the store. I find this to be an odd decision but it will mean that I'll end up buying 2 copies of the game, so I can see why they are doing that.

Yeah, this does worry me. I really hope they don't make the game sickeningly idealistic like Awakening was. I think the best conflicts in the series were in the Tellius games; They dealt with serious issues that can't just be summed up as "These guys are evil, they invade, heroes fight them", instead being centered on things like racism and genocide. Especially considering that in RD

Spoiler:
It's the good guys who do the invading in the first place!

I can't help but feel that they're forced to make "kid-friendly" installements because it's on the 3DS. If that's true, it's tragic, because they've amply demonstrated that they CAN do good storylines when they want to.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:44 pm UTC

Completed an Awakening run. Played on Hard (Casual) without pairing up. Strove to keep Robin and Chrom out of the top three. Succeeded.

Lucina: 161 victories
Ricken: 140
Sully: 140
Nowi: 139
Miriel: 134
Kjelle: 134
Laurent: 122
Cordelia: 103
Yarne: 102
Robin: 102
Panne: 93
Severa: 91
Donnel: 90
Morgan: 89
Nah: 84
Kellam: 65
Chrom: 51

Did not expect Sully so high. Forgot about them. Largely vanished after obtaining Aegis (for Lucina and Kjelle). Marks the halfway point. Brought Ricken, Nowi, and Miriel almost every map possible. (Focused on children in the second half, admittedly. Tasked Ricken and Miriel with healing too.)

Funneled so many stat increase items into Robin. Forces either Chrom or Robin to land the final hit. Struck for seven damage (~66% hit chance) with Rexcalibur. Would have been worse with Chrom. (Comparison: Chrom's 24 Strength versus Robin's 39 Magic (with Magic Tonic's +2).)

Might try unused classes and characters next run (whenever that is). Never uses Snipers, Bow Knights, Tricksters, War Clerics, Falcon Knights, Griffon Riders, or Valkyries. Managed okay with the first Berserker ever (Yarne).
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:52 am UTC

Ran a character popularity poll one month ago. Found an analysis here.

Voting notes
- Permitted up to thirteen votes (one each day). May choose the same character multiple times.
- Offered a Random option.
- Planned to release wallpapers for the top ten male and female characters. Might have affected results, supposedly.
- Treated the same character from different games as separate options. (Example: Could select Path of Radiance Ike or Radiant Dawn Ike.) Did not combine votes.

Highlights
- Cast 638,644 votes (49.93%) between 522 male characters. Spread 640,514 votes (50.07%) across 269 female characters.
- Favored Awakening (24.52% of all votes) and Fates (22.77% of all votes) heavily. Did not stop Lyn from winning, however.
- Chose Male Robin over Female Robin (14,149 votes to 10,387 votes).
- Preferred Female Corrin over Male Corrin (19,599 votes to 7,691 votes).
- Ranked Anna fourteenth overall, after combining appearances.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Return to “Gaming”