Destiny

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Tyndmyr

Destiny

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:33 pm UTC

Welp, think this game is big enough to have it's own thread now. Basically, shooter MMO that resembles a mish-mash of many different genres slammed together. Elements of Halo, Mass Effect, etc can certainly be seen. I'm a robot warlock with a spaceship, of course, and having a decently fun time of it...though after a few levels, the game definitely seems to push you in the direction of partying rather than soloing.

One particularly cool advertised feature was that buying it on the 360 supposedly gets it for you on the Xbox One if you upgrade later, and you keep all your progress. Very nice.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: Destiny

Postby Dark567 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

I've been playing with friends and its alright. Missions are too repetitive though. I generally find myself rather wishing for the next Borderlands game though for a new co-op shooter.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

wam

Postby wam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:14 pm UTC

Iv just got it and so far am enjoying myself but annoyingly all my friends with it seem to be spread across other platforms.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

Question: is this webcomic acurate?

Spoiler:

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:26 pm UTC

I'd say yes. The gear grinding of Destiny doesn't kick in until later on with strikes and things. It also doesn't have generally have any drops at anywhere the rates BL or Diablo does.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:47 pm UTC

Apparently things are bad enough in destiny loot-wise that the so called 'loot cave' has been making the rounds of webcomic jokes lately.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:50 pm UTC

The loot didn't bother me so much...the skeleton of a plot kind of does, though. Mechanics of the game are sound, but it really feels like the plot is just an outline that they planned to add detail to later, and just never got around to it.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:08 pm UTC

Yeah, I just hit max level, so I haven't really got into a grind for items, but the loot drops really aren't what bother me. Doesn't seem like the system would lend itself well to a ton of loot drops because they aren't very varied in first place, and you have to use a weapon to unlock it's upgrades.

What is annoying is the story, which is so terrible it's just in the way and the game would probably be improved with having absolutely no story at all. And the missions which are just exceedingly repetitive. Every one being "go to destination, defeat boss/waves while/before/after Dinklebot scans something." But remember that one time it did something different?
Spoiler:
Using the sword was pretty entertaining. Why isn't there more of that?
All the bosses being basically bullet sponges with no real strategy besides "hide in cover, shoot when at full health" doesn't help either.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:44 pm UTC

Isn't that what all FPS games have become? Hide, pop out, take some shots, get jelly on the screen, hide, eat the jelly, repeat.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

I quite enjoy the lack of drops and the lack of grinding but that's just my taste.

On the missions, I can see the repetition complaint but TBH nowadays you either get repetition or you get campaigns you can do in 6 hours (Call of duty etc).

I would rather have a bit of repetition!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

Eh, that's what side-quests are for.

I'm in my mid 30s. I don't mind a 50+ hour game provided each hour brings something new to the table. If it's just variations of the same 3-6 things... just tell your damn story in 8 hours and let me be done with it. Because otherwise, I'm probably going to drop it and go back to KSP or something.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

Hey im 25! but yes i see your point. Well currently destiny missions are varied enough for me. Personally i get kinda of fed up with side quests.

Also ST you have reminded me I haven;t played KSP in a long time!

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

I will take short and high quality over padding every single time.

Destiny had decent multiplayer options, that's about the strongest thing that can be said for it. I'm burning out rapidly, and I haven't even put in much time.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:38 pm UTC

Yeah i haven't had a chance to really test the multiplayer. I should also put in context that I have only palyed 10=12 hours so far.

Return to “Gaming”