Dark Souls 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Spambot5546

Re: Dark Souls 2

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:22 pm UTC

Sorc is probably not the best way to go for a first playthrough. It's really dependent on finding all the right spells and catalysts, and they aren't really obvious in locations.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 27, 2014 3:46 pm UTC

Chen wrote:So I just picked this up. Any starting suggestions/hints? Probably going to use a sorceror character, since I enjoyed that the most in dark souls 1.

Patches isn't here, man.

Ballista are usable. By you.. or the enemy.

Illusionary walls open with the action key, not hitting them with a weapon.

The "Circle madly then backstab" method is nowhere near as useable. Especially on certain heavily armored enemies who just fall backwards on you when you try it. And later there's enemies that turn faster than you can run around them. So.. don't rely on it, is what I'm saying here.

Oh, and the coffin on the beach in Things Betwix.. that changes your gender. Took me, like, 10-15 hours to figure out what the fuck happened.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue May 27, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Illusionary walls open with the action key, not hitting them with a weapon.
I could be wrong, but I don't think this is universally true? They're certainly less common. Maybe it's only walls marked by the Pharros Contraptions...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 27, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

Yeah, those you hit. But the others all seem to be action key.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

There's at least one secret wall that is opened by bashing.

Spoiler:
No-Man's wharf, in the room with all the poison urns near the end.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu May 29, 2014 1:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Oh, and the coffin on the beach in Things Betwix.. that changes your gender. Took me, like, 10-15 hours to figure out what the fuck happened.

Holy crap, I did not know that. I got into it about a dozen times and didn't figure it out. Now I wonder if my character(that started as a woman) is now a man, and I just didn't notice during the whole game.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 29, 2014 1:24 pm UTC

In the early patches of the game, there wasn't even a message or anything. You just got in the coffin, there was a scene change, and you got out. I went probably 20 hours in the game before I noticed a difference and the entire time I was like "Did I make this character male or female to start, I don't remember?" because it's not uncommon for me to make one of either gender.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:44 pm UTC

So I was looking around the Dark Souls subreddit to see if there was any workaround for the godawful limits placed on the PC port in terms of controls and it turns out there is! It's actually possible to do guard breaks and leap attacks with mouse/keyboard now and I don't have to slow down my strong attacks with double clicks because I'm finally able to make use of all four buttons on my mouse. I've only had a little time to tinker with it before work this morning, but I think it'll make things a lot easier.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 29, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Oh, and the coffin on the beach in Things Betwix.. that changes your gender. Took me, like, 10-15 hours to figure out what the fuck happened.

Holy crap, I did not know that. I got into it about a dozen times and didn't figure it out. Now I wonder if my character(that started as a woman) is now a man, and I just didn't notice during the whole game.

The only reason I even know that is.. I got in the coffin, got out, noted the "Your being has been changed" or whatever message, promptly forgot about it, and maybe.. I dunno, 20 hours later put on the transparent armor immediately after being summoned for co-oping a boss and...for a moment, wondered where my character's bra went. Then wondered why she had a man's torso. Then wondered why she was totally a dude now. So I assumed it was some bug in the fight, and looked up "Dark Souls 2 Gender Bug" where someone was complaining about it and the first reply was "Did you get in to any strange coffins on beaches?"

And thought Ooooohhhhhhhhh...so that's what it does

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:35 pm UTC

So... doing a no bonfire run is surprisingly easy, on new game plus.

You can skip most of the fluff since you gathered it all the first time around, and you're able to stock the hell up on herbs and lifegems to make up for the lack of flask/spell regen. You just have to plot your course kind of carefully, and sometimes not light bonfires to create good waypoints on the walk back or for a later adventure.

You just can't re-attune spells, so stick to a good spread and you'll be fine.

Also! Apparently speed runners have had a field day with this game already. Mega glitch mode with airwalking and binocular running is clocking in at ~20 minutes (bypasses the shrine of winter, no need to kill any of the 4 old souls), while legit mode with all bosses is less than 2 hours. I'm impressed!
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

They were glitching past the Shrine of Winter on 1.0 actually. Pretty funny really. That got patched, but there's another glitch for the current version. The run speed binoculars glitch is hilarious too.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

Do no-bonfire runs also forbid use of white soapstones? That's also a really easy to restore spell casts, health, and durability.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

philsov

Postby philsov » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Do no-bonfire runs also forbid use of white soapstones? That's also a really easy to restore spell casts, health, and durability.

Nah, you're free to get summoned. But the restoration only works if the host doesn't die, and sometimes... that's not always the case. Repair powder is another stockable prior to starting the new game. No backup gear required, tbh. Rings of life/soul protection towards the end of a branch were useful; it'd suck to lose 250k souls, and once you're back in town you can repair them all and level up and such.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:52 pm UTC

Fuck the Iron Keep when you've got no range.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

Iron Keep has consistently been the hardest part for me since the Shrine of Amana nerfs.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:30 pm UTC

I had a much harder time with the Shrine of Amana, but then I have range.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:40 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Iron Keep has consistently been the hardest part for me since the Shrine of Amana nerfs.

The Smelter Demon kicked my ass more times than I care to admit.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:47 pm UTC

I didn't have much trouble with the Iron Keep before Smelter Demon, and I had no range. I would take an arrow to the back every now and then, but it was more of a nuisance than a problem. I hated the second half of that dungeon way more. I had a hell of a lot of trouble with fighting on those narrow platforms and the turtle knights.

However, by far the worst part for me has been the area in the Forest of Giants with the Fire Toads. They are absolutely infuriating to fight in melee, and a couple of them seem straight up impossible, as they just sit there and shoot fireballs if you even try to get close. It was the first time the entire game I used a bow, and I've only used fireball spells infrequently to pull things at a range.

But I've used a bow since then as well. I used a Bonfire Aesthetic in No Man's Wharf for the purpose of completing Lucateil's quest, which I just found out about. It was relatively easy, as I expected... until the ship. The aesthetic spawned an extra Red Phantom with a dual saber. His attacks immediately broke my guard, would move him forward enough that dodging wasn't entirely reliable, and if he got ahold of me, I would get one shot. I said screw it and succumbed to using a bow to kill him from safety. And then I went on to Flexile Sentry (with Lucateil in tow). He has two new adds that attack relentlessly, but were quick to dispatch (though they almost killed me). As soon as I turned my attention to the boss though, I got in a couple swings before I failed a dodge and got one shot. I think I might just say screw the Lucateil quest. While I could do it, I'm not exactly looking forward to the idea of doing some of those other areas a second time, seeing as how this 'easy' area was going.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:55 am UTC

I recommend completing Lucateil's quest on The Rotten.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

As in just increasing bonfire intesity for that single one over and over again? I figured it'd be easiest to go do 3 different ones, but I was going to do The Rotten last. Flexile was also one of the easiest bosses first time through, so I expected that to go smoothly. God was I wrong.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 pm UTC

So I've been away from the game for a month or two, just super busy. I want to finish it soon though, maybe put some time in tomorrow evening. But I'm stuck.

Spoiler:
Got to the Shrine of Winter. Opened it up, went through, along the path, up the giant staircase....now what? There are two enemies that constantly respawn, and that's it. No way to open the door, no place else to go. It seems like a dead end. What am I missing?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

Not a dead end.

Spoiler:
You need to kill things near the giants that are holding pots to open the doors. It took me forever to figure this mechanic out. You'll encounter this again later.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 pm UTC

In order of revealing, from vague hints to "Do this thing exactly"....

Spoiler:
The respawning thing is very odd, isn't it? Perhaps there's a reason for an infinite supply of souls.

Spoiler:
Try fighting the enemies in different places, see if anything interesting happens.

Spoiler:
Look around near the door - see anything unusual near it? Maybe if you stood near it?

And the answer...

Spoiler:
Kill the respawning enemies near the giant statues by the door. They should absorb the souls, power up, and yank on something. When both fire, the door will open.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

Thanks guys. Going to check it out tonight if I can(if I can't get my lawn mower running, and if my girlfriend isn't over, and if I don't pass out from not sleeping worth a damn last night). Sorry - tired, grumpy, and out of it. And it's hot and humid at work, and I couldn't find a notebook I really need, and can't concentrate on the complicated task I need to complete.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

Dammit. Explorer crashed and I lost my post. But got to the next area. Dropped two bosses. Six door area is annoying. Did it wrong, so can't get to one anymore. Also forgot I broke my sword and was using an inferior one when I stopped, so played 2-3 hours Friday with weak equipment.

Koa

Postby Koa » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

Did it wrong, so can't get to one anymore.

You're never locked out since they all respawn.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:52 pm UTC

Koa wrote:
Did it wrong, so can't get to one anymore.

You're never locked out since they all respawn.

It's not 'locked out' so much as 'can't kill all the tall fuckers without making a mistake and dying' to get to the last door.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:47 pm UTC

The tall fuckers...eventually stop spawning.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:51 pm UTC

If you take it slowly and only open up one door at a time, they're not bad. The hard part is having to fight them in a tight section of the room to avoid aggroing the other sleepy statues.

The worst thing about those guys is their ability to dead angle you with their swing. Just keep an eye on it and don't try to dodge by a razor margin (like you would in Dks 1) or you'll get clipped.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:39 pm UTC

The "Opening one door at a time" advice is great...the first run through the room.

If Guy #4 kills you, there's not a lot of "Open one door at a time" that's going to help. Shit's open.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:46 pm UTC

Yeah true. Don't die! :P

Or you can lure them into the hallway near the bonfire where the space is limited and you can't get surrounded. The gold guys are still a pain, but if you can kill the statues it's not nearly as bad.

Take that room slow and try not to get killed, is the important part.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

That's the whole game really - Don't rush, and try to not die.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:21 pm UTC

Yep. Was telling my girlfriend, it's a game of patience. That said, I got few up with that room. Was lucky and opened the back right one first, but can't get to the back left one now. Also doesn't help that the tall guys seem to be less susceptible to both magic and pyromancy, which are my primary offensive weapons.

Which as an aside - Soul Shower I think it is - damn, not worth a spell slot. I tried it against the Mirror Knight, and it was hitting him for all of about 20 damage - and he isn't resistant to magic, because I demolished him with soul arrows.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

I've not really enjoyed magic in this game so much. It looks really awesome but I just get bored with it. The lightning spears have been my favorite but honestly I prefer melee way more.

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

Magic is boring but highly effective.

It's a liiiittle slower than melee but the safety it offers due to range is just spectacular. Said it before (and will probably say it again) -- Faraam Helmet magic snipes are epic.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

I've gone quite a ways more. Damn, the one part with the mages in the swampy area - annoying as hell. Not as bad as the archers in Anor Londo, but probably the most frustrating part I've encountered in 2.

Also just not quite as into 2 as I was the first. It's a great game, but a few things are off for me. They tried to push multiplayer quite a bit, but for me that's just extra rings in my inventory. And holy shit do I have a lot of things in my inventory. Useable items? Like 50. I don't know what half of them do, so even if I did need one, wouldn't think to use it. Then there are times(like previous mentioned wamp) where I would have loved to have the rusted iron ring, or thief's ring - which as far as I can tell aren't in 2.

I think the thing I miss the most is the interconnected-ness of the world. In the first, It felt like a real world. Look down from the ramparts and see the lake, where I will meet a hydra. Or across the vast Blightown shambles to where I will visit the great tree. Two is disjointed. Each area is so separated from everything else that it feels much more fantastic, and not in a good way.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 pm UTC

The Shrine of Amana was horrific in the 1.0 release. It's been toned down since then but that area is still annoying to try and run through.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:The Shrine of Amana was horrific in the 1.0 release. It's been toned down since then but that area is still annoying to try and run through.

Guess I'm glad I was so slow getting through this game.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

Yeah basically the Soul Arrows were faster and homed more accurately, so you were pretty much bound to using a bow of some sort if you were solo.

redraw

Postby redraw » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

I got this on xbox gold recently havent played yet though, might have to get into it now and give it a go

Return to “Gaming”