EverQuest Next

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jack21222

EverQuest Next

Postby Jack21222 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Sony just unveiled the next EverQuest game, appropriately titled "EverQuest Next," and apparently it's a huge departure from previous MMORPGs. That's something that's said all of the time, but the authors and reviewers who had a chance to see the reveal are all fawning over it. Here are some of the articles:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08 ... uest-next/
When I sat down, along with a small gathering of journalists invited to see the reveal of Everquest Next, I wasn’t expecting to have my line of thinking about MMORPGs to fundamentally shift, but that’s precisely what happened. From being a game in a genre that I have only the occasional interest in, Next immediately became one of the most fascinating and exciting games on the horizon.

And that’s just the half of it.

http://kotaku.com/everquest-next-could- ... 1003801733
Before I got my first look at EverQuest Next in the "Black Room" of SOE's San Diego studios last month, my excitement level for new MMORPG games was at an all-time low ...

But as franchise director of development David Georgeson explained how EverQuest Next's world worked, my excitement level spiked.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/02/ ... ts-amazing
EverQuest Next is Real, and it's Amazing

Part of the excitement is that this is an RPG with Minecraft elements. It's a voxel based world, featuring ACTUALLY destructible terrain. It also features AI monsters that have actual needs and wants, which leads to emergent gameplay. Additionally, there will be serverwide quests to do something like BUILD QEYNOS. Once it's built, it doesn't start over from scratch. It's there forever. And only on your server. On another server, there might still just be a field there.

I am massively excited for this, if they can deliver even half of what they're promising. I've played about 10 different MMORPGs, starting in October 1999 with the original EverQuest. It will be nice to return to my roots with this one.
Last edited by Jack21222 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

OklahomaJoe

Re: EverQuest Next

Postby OklahomaJoe » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

If they can pull off this EverQuest meets Minecraft concept, Sony is going to have the next "big thing" on their hands. I've been saying that ever since I first started playing Minecraft a little over a year ago - the first folks who successfully combine an MMO with the Minecraft concept are going to drown in money.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

Dicks... Dicks everywhere.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Dicks... Dicks everywhere.

So true. I suspect the first screenshots we see on unofficial forums will be of that.

Regardless, I'll app to the Beta and see if I can get in and get a look at it. It does look like it has some real potential, and if they can deliver it will be a huge mmo. Also +1 1999 EQ player reporting for duty ~

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

I'm interested to see it in action. I feel like a fully destructible world is going to have a host of problems though. I can only assume terrain regenerates or reforms dynamically to some extent, otherwise aren't we going to be left with huge pits everywhere?

Not to mention the town problem. Are there going to be NPCs guards or something once a town is setup to protect it and repair damage? If I decide your castle's entrance is waaaaaay too far on the opposite side of the outer wall and smash through it instead because I'm lazy, what happens?

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I'm interested to see it in action. I feel like a fully destructible world is going to have a host of problems though. I can only assume terrain regenerates or reforms dynamically to some extent, otherwise aren't we going to be left with huge pits everywhere?

Not to mention the town problem. Are there going to be NPCs guards or something once a town is setup to protect it and repair damage? If I decide your castle's entrance is waaaaaay too far on the opposite side of the outer wall and smash through it instead because I'm lazy, what happens?

Most of this has been addressed in various panels. There are restrictions to the destructible environments. Towns are one of those restrictions. And damage to landscape does regenerate over time.

The thing that most people on Reddit are afraid of is the class system. SOE has said that they are getting rid of the "Trinity" of healer/tank/dps, and every player is supposed to be somewhat self-sufficient in a fight. This has lead to a lot of speculation that it's going to be a Guild Wars 2 clone. SOE is pushing back against this speculation.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

That actually scares me very little, if only because my MMO of choice right now is The Secret World which is also class-less and level-less and it works out really nicely I think. But then I didn't play GW2 so I have no idea what everyone else is comparing to.

It sounds like the trinity isn't necessarily dead, just is going to take a different form, and movement and positioning is going to be more key to the fights (and you won't be able to slot entirely DPS items without any respect to survivability in most fights). But then I haven't quite read up on all the material around EQNext yet.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:The Secret World which is also class-less and level-less and it works out really nicely I think. But then I didn't play GW2 so I have no idea what everyone else is comparing to.
Jack21222 wrote:This has lead to a lot of speculation that it's going to be a Guild Wars 2 clone. SOE is pushing back against this speculation.

So, firstly, TSW isn't class-less or level-less; it just hides the numbers a bit. As you gain xp you gain AP, which you can distribute into different skill sets. You can obviously distribute as you want, but the fact is, having, say, 10 AP is roughly equivalent to say, lvl 10. It's not that it's level-less, it's that you're free to advance as you want. And furthermore, it isn't remotely class-less; each spec distinctly has a class-type it plays into. Blood is shield-heals, Chaos is evasion-tanking, Fist is HoTs, etc. The fun bit is mixing and matching those specs.

GW2 did a good job, I felt, eliminating the trinity, by instead placing you along a spectrum. Where I think they failed was by not allowing any sort of tracking of who dropped what buffs/debuffs, and by not having any significant balance between those buffs/debuffs or even among the classes. So sure, your Guardian may put out a lot of protection and regens, but then, so does my Mesmer?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:It sounds like the trinity isn't necessarily dead, just is going to take a different form, and movement and positioning is going to be more key to the fights (and you won't be able to slot entirely DPS items without any respect to survivability in most fights). But then I haven't quite read up on all the material around EQNext yet.

One of the videos I saw did have big circles appear on the ground where AOEs and stuff were going to happen (very similar to TERA if people have played). I suspect while you won't NEED a tank/healer/DPS, that configuration tends to be a very efficient arrangement. Specialized characters tend to be better at their jobs than generalists in most games, so even if the trinity isn't necessary, it often tends to be very useful to go that route anyway.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Chen wrote:One of the videos I saw did have big circles appear on the ground where AOEs and stuff were going to happen (very similar to TERA if people have played). I suspect while you won't NEED a tank/healer/DPS, that configuration tends to be a very efficient arrangement. Specialized characters tend to be better at their jobs than generalists in most games, so even if the trinity isn't necessary, it often tends to be very useful to go that route anyway.
Yea, unless the class system is really weirdly structured I don't know how they'd make specializing worse than jack-of-all-trades. Even if you need to branch out from healing with some movement skills.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

As far as the Trinity goes, I liked playing EverQuest at lower levels, because even if you didn't have the perfect group set-up, you could PROBABLY make a group work for leveling. Let's say you couldn't find a cleric. Well, if you had a shaman, a paladin off-tank, and a bard with a regen song, you might be fine. Things like that. At higher levels, and in other games, this didn't really work. You HAD to have a warrior and a cleric specifically.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So, firstly, TSW isn't class-less or level-less; it just hides the numbers a bit. As you gain xp you gain AP, which you can distribute into different skill sets. You can obviously distribute as you want, but the fact is, having, say, 10 AP is roughly equivalent to say, lvl 10. It's not that it's level-less, it's that you're free to advance as you want. And furthermore, it isn't remotely class-less; each spec distinctly has a class-type it plays into. Blood is shield-heals, Chaos is evasion-tanking, Fist is HoTs, etc. The fun bit is mixing and matching those specs.
Oh, I missed this. I guess it depends on how you're defining classes. Most commonly in RPG/MMOs a class is a choice, and often a permanent one. In TSW you can equip any passive ability in any skill tree to your character once you unlock it (doesn't matter what trees you're using). And "active" skills are only tied to your equipped weapon, and you can mix-match any two weapons. I'm hoping EQNext manages to mirror a lot of that flexibility in its multiclass system.

There are still power tiers though certainly. The AP ones are fairly soft though because it's really easy to max out at least your primary weapon and talismans. Nearly all the power progression in TSW is equipment based, and more SP opens up options, rather than strictly more powerful abilities.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

TSW's implementation of classless/levelless gameplay works out excellently. Guild Wars 2's no holy trinity... not so much. In Guild Wars 2 all the boss fights devolve into "DPS the boss until he starts attacking you, then run around like a headless chicken." When the meta for running PvE content in a game is "Berserker gear, dodge more noob," I think there's a problem.

I've never played Everquest, but I will keep my eye on this game.

Return to “Gaming”