Easy difficulty in single player FPS/TPS games

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Do you ever play games on easy difficulty?

Yes (I rarely play FPS/TPS games)
10%
No (I rarely play FPS/TPS games)
6%
Yes (I play 1-2 FPS/TPS games a year)
4%
No (I play 1-2 FPS/TPS games a year)
27%
Yes (I play 3-5 FPS/TPS games a year)
18%
No (I play 3-5 FPS/TPS games a year)
10%
Yes (I play 6+ FPS/TPS games a year)
8%
No (I play 6+ FPS/TPS games a year)
16%

Total votes: 49

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Easy difficulty in single player FPS/TPS games

Postby Thesh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:12 am UTC

I'm curious if game developers are wasting their time adding an easy difficulty to the game, so I'm taking a poll to see if people use it. To me it seems like most people would play on normal/default difficulty, and then go harder on subsequent replays.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Amnesiasoft

Re: Easy difficulty in single player FPS/TPS games

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:25 am UTC

I played Mass Effect 2 on Insane the first time through. I then played on the lowest difficulty setting thereafter, and the combat was still terribly tedious. I usually do subsequent playthroughs on an easier difficulty.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:03 am UTC

Rarely. Usually I play on the default setting the first time through. However, if the combat isn't the gameplay focus (e.g. the Mass Effect series), if I hit a fight where I die a couple times I'll drop it down for a moment. That... doesn't happen much though.

OTOH, I doubt it adds that much cost to include the setting, and if it reduces the temptation to make the game easier, then it's serving its purpose. :-)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 am UTC

Thesh wrote:I'm curious if game developers are wasting their time adding an easy difficulty to the game, so I'm taking a poll to see if people use it. To me it seems like most people would play on normal/default difficulty, and then go harder on subsequent replays.

Perhaps you are not hanging around the right circles?

While I almost always play on the hardest mode, my father always plays on the easiest mode. As he's getting older and slower, he can't really follow the pace of games like SC2 or even FPSes like Deus Ex HR anymore. I mean, he even has trouble with World of Warcraft, for fuck's sake.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:43 am UTC

Yes, if you and everyone you know never use easy modes, it's just because you don't know the right people. Children, older people, people with disabilities - they all like playing games, but might not have the physical ability to play it at a hard or even normal level. Easy mode just scales it to the difficulty they can actually handle, so they can still play the game and be challenged.

And sometimes, fuck it, you just want to cruise through a game and enjoy the story. I wasn't impressed with Bioshock 1's combat, for example, so I just turned it down to easiest and had fun. I enjoyed the game far more than I would have if I'd been on normal or hard difficulty. Other games I prefer harder difficulties, because the combat *is* really fun, and the challenge makes the game much better.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:54 am UTC

I almost always play on Medium difficulty and it's rare that I go below that. However I lower the difficulty if I'm having a huge amount of time stuck on the same level, or if I want to just experience the game's environment without having to worry about ammo or guns or etc. I'm happy about easy mode. I like FPSs but I'm not particularly good at them, so at least on easy mode I can enjoy the game without dying every minute.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Game reviewers often use easy modes. Because they have to play as much game as possible in a limited amount of time.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure "Easy" modes are statistically the most played modes. Most people just want to finish the game.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

I always play on easy, because I'm not very good at video games (I'm not a child, elderly or disabled either). I also, unfortunately, don't have the time to spend multiple hours a day gaming, so spending an hour playing the same level six times and making very little progress isn't worth it to me anymore. With easy mode, I can usually play for an hour or so and feel like I made some progress.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

I almost exclusively play on Easy. I play for the story and/or to feel powerful. And I'm not really good at games.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

Back when I played games more, I'd start on easy/medium for a first go, and bump up to medium/hard on subsequent passes. I'd also play a lot more than 6 a year.

Nowadays, with a worse setup for twitch-reflexes, slower reflexes, less time for games, and less interest, I usually start at "normal" but drop back to "easy" after a few levels*...

*Even games without formal levels generally have some form of pacing that lets you distinguish stages...

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Depends on the game, I think. I play normal by default, rarely easy. If I like the game enough I'll ramp up the difficulty, however it's rare that I find a game made in today's era that's worth replaying more than once or twice. Dark Souls has been an exception to that rule and I'm still not tired of it.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

I use default at first, and then spice to taste.

I'm not averse to easy mode, but I rarely have personal need for it. I usually prefer a hypothetical re-playthrough to be harder, too.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

It took me a few minutes to figure out the weird results so far (why would avid gamers be more likely to play on easy mode?), but then I realized it's obvious - the more you play, the more likely it is that you've tried easy mode...
-Adam

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

I always play games on the hardest difficulty for the first playthrough. I figure it'll make the game more challenging/daunting if I don't know what's coming! Easy mode usually isn't enjoyable to me, but I don't think they should take it out.

Koa

Postby Koa » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:It took me a few minutes to figure out the weird results so far (why would avid gamers be more likely to play on easy mode?), but then I realized it's obvious - the more you play, the more likely it is that you've tried easy mode...

I'm an avid gamer that generally prefers difficult games. I play some games on easy (not often, but indeed, the question only asked if you do at all) almost always because the higher difficulties don't provide a meaningful challenge. For instance, I always play Half-Life 2 on easy because the difficulty only affects how much health you and enemies have. Enemies become bullet sponges and can take 10 rounds to the face before dying. It's not an interesting challenge or even very difficult. It's time consuming and frustrating.

In games with cover systems and regenerating health the higher difficulties can translate into more downtime as opposed to more challenge. In others, I might be compelled to find and use lame exploits. Sometimes charging into a room full of enemies on easy difficulty is more challenging and fun than sitting behind the designated waist-high cover for several minutes on hard difficulty.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 am UTC

I normally play on default, unless I just want to play for the story and don't care about having a challenge, in which case I'll bump it to easy, or if I just want to mess around in a game without too much danger. Conversely, if I'm gaming enough at the time that my skills are up to scratch, I'll sometimes put games on hard. I've only done hard playthroughs on my first time through with a couple of games. It's interesting, actually - because I spent so long doing serious clan-gaming I'm much better at the squad-based multiplayer part of a lot of FPS games than I am at the solo stuff.

Mordus

Postby Mordus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 am UTC

When I find a FPS that I actually want to play then I will play through it the first time on hard for the challenge/fun. If it's good enough I will play through it again on easy to try and find everything (depending on if it is a game that has additional things to find).

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:53 am UTC

The Metroid Prime games are another example of hard mode not adding anything to the game - enemies have twice as much health and deal twice as much damage. Anything you can attrit without losing more than a quarter of your health on normal, you can also beat on hard - and in Echoes, particularly, getting beat up more just means spending longer hanging around the nearest light beacon/crystal waiting for your health regen...

Return to “Gaming”