RPG Maker and other Game Engines

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Adam H

RPG Maker and other Game Engines

Postby Adam H » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

I've been playing some old adventure games (King's Quest and Quest for Glory... so good...) and I'm inspired to make a similar game. I also have loads of other ideas for worlds, stories, and game mechanics that have been swirling around in my head for a while - it's not just this one.

I'm not a programmer... I have done several mods for Warcraft and Starcraft, including some RPG/adventure type stuff, but they often don't work out the way I want because of the built-in limitations. I've also tried to mod Skyrim but it doesn't seem like something I can handle. So I think I want to use something like RPG Maker, or one of the similar products out there. Also, since this wouldn't necessarily be an RPG, Game Maker might work for me too. The lite version of that is free so I'll look at it sometime.

Anyways, my questions:
1) Can anyone recommend RPG Maker, Game Maker, or a similar product for someone who doesn't code (much)? If so, want to share a game you made?
2) What can you do and what can't you do with different game engines? (Vague question, I know)
3) Would anyone be interested in collaborating on a game?
Last edited by Adam H on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-Adam

Amnesiasoft

Re: RPG Maker and Game Design

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

In the vein of software like RPG Maker and Game Maker, I'd say use RPG Maker if that is exactly the kind of game you want to make, because RPG Maker is not a very flexible system. It's basically able to make top-down RPG games with turn based menu combat and nothing else. Admittedly, the last time I used Game Maker was forever ago, but I'd personally recommend Construct 2 or Multimedia Fusion 2 over it. I found them to be a lot more friendly to use.

Adam H

Re: RPG Maker and Game Design

Postby Adam H » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Ah, thanks. Looks like I'll be downloading the free version of Construct 2 then! I love free stuff. :D

What other programs do people use or recommend? Advantages, disadvantages?

(I'll probably be posting my game details in one of the other game design threads, so I'm editing the OP to show that this thread is only for discussing Game Creators/Engines. I think that's probably what the forum mods would prefer. There's already a bajillion "THIS IS MY GAME IDEA WHAT DO YOU THINK?" threads.)
-Adam

LaserGuy

Re: RPG Maker and other Game Engines

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

I've used RPG maker a bit a few years back. It's basically good for making clones of early Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest type games (from, the SNES/NES era). The combat system is pretty limited (probably the weakest part of the engine, IMHO). You can make some puzzles with it... the scripting engine for outdoor events is a bit clunky, but it can do some fairly non-trivial stuff once you figure it out. I seem to remember that I tried to make a stealth-based, minimal combat game that kind of worked.

Menacing Spike

Re: RPG Maker and other Game Engines

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 am UTC

I would go for unity. Yes, you have to code, but it eases you into it, a good part can be automated, it's really simple, and you can do so much vastly more with it.

Return to “Gaming”