didn't realise megadrive/genesis vs nintendo was so exciting

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Waylah

didn't realise megadrive/genesis vs nintendo was so exciting

Postby Waylah » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:06 am UTC

I had no idea the console wars of the '90s were so epic.

Via the current xkcd comic, checking out the wiki talk page for the 'into' debacle, I ended up on the Sega genesis page. Then I read the console wars section. and. wow.

Reads like the plot of a movie crossed between Moneyball and King of Kong. I swear, if they made a movie of this, I would go see it. I was a kid in the nineties; at the time I wasn't even aware there was Sonic in one camp and Mario in another. So I obviously knew nothing of the corporate wrangling and marketing games that went on.

If the Wikipedia article makes for such gripping reading, they (whoever 'they' are..) could make a ripper of a movie.
Some highlights:
An 'an online banking system'??? in 1989???
sega goes from totally ignored to '...teenage boys would not admit to owning a Super NES rather than a Genesis.'
"Sega of Japan CEO Hayao Nakayama decided to force Sega of America to focus on the Saturn" ooops.

Seriously, I want to see this movie.

Jorpho

Re: didn't realise megadrive/genesis vs nintendo was so exci

Postby Jorpho » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:05 am UTC

Waylah wrote:I had no idea the console wars of the '90s were so epic.
Really? (By the way, there is a "Gaming" subforum. And a "Religious Wars" subforum.)

Now that you mention it, I suppose it is a little surprising that someone along the way has not tried to make a watchable feature-length film of some sort. Maybe it's because there's no sense of some compelling personality driving one side or another? Just collectives of squabbling, infuriated nerds?

There is a new anime series; I suppose that counts for something.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

As gripping as the story is, in the UK it pales into insignificance when compared to Blur vs. Oasis.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

But Sega does what Nintendon't.

Which is why we're playing our Sega Orrr with the latest awesome Sonic and Alex Kidd games, while Mario just does shitty, shitty, oh so shitty games that completely miss the point of what made Mario good.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:As gripping as the story is, in the UK it pales into insignificance when compared to Blur vs. Oasis.

I still like "Country House" better than "Roll With It".
I looked out across the river today …

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:There is a new anime series; I suppose that counts for something.

It doesn't. It really, really doesn't. That thing is terrible.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:04 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But Sega does what Nintendon't.

Which is why we're playing our Sega Orrr with the latest awesome Sonic and Alex Kidd games, while Mario just does shitty, shitty, oh so shitty games that completely miss the point of what made Mario good.

I can't hear you over the sound of me playing Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and not Mario Kart.

Return to “Gaming”