Mass Effect : Meet and Fuck

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

bigstrat2003

Re: Mass Effect

Postby bigstrat2003 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

The marketplace isn't part of paid XBL, so that doesn't count. I'm comparing the stuff that's Gold-exclusive, here, since all the stuff that's part of Silver is on even footing with any other service.

Anyways, I simply don't think XBL adds anything to my gaming. I want to go online, get into a game, play, done. Hell, given the quality of people on XBL, voice chat is a drawback, not a feature.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

Actually, the XBL Marketplace is better than the PSN Store, if only because all marketplace games have some kind of demo, and purchased items can be re-downloaded as many times as you like, on PSN it's a limited number of times, last I heard.

And some demos are gold exclusive, so nyah.

And who says comparing them isn't part of this? How can you be certain that the marketplace isn't supported by gold subscriptions?

More importantly, in-game access to your friends list is a damn fine feature. I guess that's not technically gold exclusive, but it doesn't really do you any good to have a friends list if you aren't going to play with them.

Anyway, it's perfectly fine for you to say that you prefer PSN because you don't have to pay for the one feature you use, but looking at the whole list, XBL does everything PSN does, but with varying degrees of superiority, for a small fee. Just because you don't think it's a good deal doesn't mean that XBL is an inferior service.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

Kag wrote:And who says comparing them isn't part of this? How can you be certain that the marketplace isn't supported by gold subscriptions?

Because I pay for my games just as much whether I have silver or live? In any case, Microsoft's business model isn't relevant to the discussion, the user experience is. That much is the same across gold/silver (although, as you pointed out, some demos are gold-exclusive, in a laughable attempt by Microsoft to provide "value" to the people they rip off).

Kag wrote:Just because you don't think it's a good deal doesn't mean that XBL is an inferior service.

Actually, it does. "Inferior" or "superior" is subjective here, and can only be accurately determined by a particular person for him/herself. If we get right down to it, you and I can scream at each other all day long about it, and we'll be equally correct, because what makes it inferior/superior is whether it offers us what we need.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

Gold also gives you access to Netflix streaming if you're a Netflix customer.

And yeah, having demos for all XBLA games is objectively superior to PSN only having them for some. It's also easier to go from game to game in XBL with friends than it is on PSN.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:In any case, Microsoft's business model isn't relevant to the discussion, the user experience is.
Actually, your only point is that making XBL free would not be to the detriment of the user experience (hence, it's a rip-off), so I'd say it's probably quite relevant. And considering that cost is the only respect in which PSN is superior, it probably warrants some consideration.

edit: Although it is worth noting that Microsoft is making ten shitloads of money from XBL, and they probably could afford to make online play free, that hardly justifies calling it a rip-off. It's not exactly expensive.
Last edited by Kag on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

This discussion is not about Mass Effect. This saddens me =(

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:08 pm UTC

I didn't even realize it was the Mass Effect thread, at first. Now I want to go back and play it, though. Such a great game...

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

Demos are only gold exclusive the first week they come out. After that they are opened to everyone.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 20, 2010 2:03 am UTC

Having finally joined the gaming world of 2007 in buying this game on Steam...... so, am I just sucking hard, am I supposed to go and grind for XP or something, or is being a sniper goddamn punishing? From the two-shot then six second cooldown to the goddamn cut scenes taking me from my fortified, behind cover position and throwing me in the middle of the damn room to get jumped by the five or six things I heard and was trying to sneak up on, it seems like the game is actively punishing me for not charging in with an assault rifle blazing.

But it's probably just me. Because I picked Infiltrator and didn't read all of the documentation or whatever that mentions how Infiltrator is completely broken and worthless unless matched with Wrex or something.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu May 20, 2010 2:25 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Having finally joined the gaming world of 2007 in buying this game on Steam...... so, am I just sucking hard, am I supposed to go and grind for XP or something, or is being a sniper goddamn punishing? From the two-shot then six second cooldown to the goddamn cut scenes taking me from my fortified, behind cover position and throwing me in the middle of the damn room to get jumped by the five or six things I heard and was trying to sneak up on, it seems like the game is actively punishing me for not charging in with an assault rifle blazing.

But it's probably just me. Because I picked Infiltrator and didn't read all of the documentation or whatever that mentions how Infiltrator is completely broken and worthless unless matched with Wrex or something.

You do have other weapons you know.
I had the complete opposite problem when I played as a Vanguard. There is this one section where you are stuck at the top of a cliff with plenty of baddies down below. Only problem is they have good aim at that extreme range, while my sniper scope wobbles all over the place.
You will get better sniper rifles which can fire more than once before overheating. But, yes, alot of the game is in close quarters. I think infiltrators are supposed to rely on their sniper as a back-up weapon, and use their powers and the pistol more. But then I've never player one, so take this with a grain of salt.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu May 20, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Sniper rifle is just not a primary weapon, is all. It's great when you can use it if you have some skill with it, but make sure you have *some* other weapon on backup for close-quarters combat. Any will do, even the pistol, though obviously a good shotgun or rifle is better.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 am UTC

The first one? Man, it was good at the time, but I look back on all those terrible "go take the rover and explore the planet" bullshit missions, and cringe.

I played the Vangaurd through the first one I think, and did it on Xbox. I definitely appreciated having a beefier character that saved me from having to direct Wrex to draw fire all over the place.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 am UTC

I loved Infiltrator, but you have to build it right and it's a lot easier if you play it on your second time around when you can assign your character an extra combat skill (if you earned the associated achievement).

When you're playing with the sniper rifles as your primary weapon, choose abilities and mods that improve your weapon stability and cooldown. When you get the upper tier rifles you'll finally get to a point where you can fire high-power shots almost constantly. The sniping mechanics in ME1 are worse than in ME2, but there is one upside. It doesn't matter where you hit your target in ME1, any hit on the target does the same amount of damage as any other hit; in other words head shots do not count for anything. This makes the scope drift a little easier to deal with.

Also, there are a lot of times where having sniper rifles can be a huge boon. For example, you get significantly more experience for killing turrets on foot instead of in the Mako. It's easy to snipe them to death and avoid their rockets for large amounts of XP. The same goes for Geth Armatures and, to a lesser extent, Thresher Maws. Overall, sniper rifles rock on story missions and outdoors where you have a lot of room, not so much in the stock interior environments.

Also, as an Infiltrator do not ignore your tech skills. Those tech grenades that you can throw are actually pretty badass. They can bring down your enemies' shields and overheat their weapons and generally make fighting much easier for you.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Fri May 21, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

I use my sniper rifle as a one hit wonder. Scram rail + explosive rounds + combat optics. It's lovely knocking charging Krogan off their feet :)

Don't be afraid to no-scope, I do it on geth hoppers with great results.

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Tue May 25, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Played infiltrator first time round, used pistol all the time as couldn't be bothered sinking points into sniping. Pistols are pretty damn handy anyways.

Started new game + with same character, using sniper rifles this time. The top end spectre sniper + high explosive rounds = awesome rocket launcher :D

But yes, I found on the first play through that sniping was pretty limited in use until you get a good few points in it (enough for it not to be totally useless at short-med distance).
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

Installing Mass Effect now. Why am I not allowed to choose where to install it? Seems it automatically decided to put it on C:, where there's only barely enough room.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 pm UTC

So I'm replaying mass effect now, and decided to try hardcore. I went off to rescue Liara pretty much before doing any other mission or sidequest, since I wanted the medal for doing assignments with her. But now I'm stuck, and getting frustrated.

I'm stuck at the final battle after rescuing Liara. The one against the Krogan Battlemaster. Everything so far was pretty easy, but this battle just seems impossible. Not even "just get more skills" impossible, but outright impossible. Taking out his henchmen is no problem, they die fast enough. But that krogan is just unkillable. He regenerates almost as fast as I can hit him, and instant-kills you as soon as he gets close. (Not sure what ability it is. It doesn't seem to have a recharge time though). You can't outrun him though, he's faster than you even when you sprint at full speed. Several times now I've had the battle bug where he stayed out of the battle until I engaged him, so I was able to take out all henchmen, then recharge all abilities, before engaging him. Didn't help. I once had him bug where I could fire at him without him doing anything until he was almost dead. Even that didn't help, because well, he just instant-kills you.

Having to watch a 21 minute unskippable movie every time you try him is not helping either. I had forgotten how annoying all those unskippable movies in mass effect are. Wow. I hope they fixed that in 3.

Anyway, why I'm posting this here: Is there a way to go back? Leave the planet and get some levels before trying him again? Or even get in different squadmembers? Because he's obviously outright impossible with my current setup. Having something like throw or stasis would already help a lot. Or am I forced to replay the entire game from start?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:09 am UTC

Start from a previous saved game? You can restart the mission but I don't think you can just leave it once you've started.

I would suggest using fire abilities on the krogan all the time- they prevent regeneration.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:24 am UTC

I don't have an earlier save I'm afraid.

Does ME1 even have fire abilities? I sure don't. I'm a soldier, and I brought Wrex and Garrus. Neither have any useful skills for this fight (well Wrex has throw, but not yet. Next playthrough I'll definitely switch off auto-level-up for allies. That's one thing I learned *lol*). Hmm. I remember from my first playthrough that this was the hardest fight in the game by far, so I was expecting a tough fight. I hadn't counted on it being quite this hard though :)
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:06 am UTC

Aren't there useful gun mods, something like polonium rounds, that stop health regeneration?

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:51 am UTC

I think lift also stops regen. Which doesn't help you either, sorry. Yeah, it's the hardest fight in the game IMO.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:31 am UTC

Depending on how desperate you are, if you have the PC version you can just cheat past it. Normally I'd assume you wouldn't want to, but you were willing to try to take advantage of a glitch to try to get out... KillCurrentTarget or GiveSuperGun sound like they would get you past that area (you could then gel the gun afterwards to remove temptation).

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

That's weird. I don't think I even died there on either playthrough and that was the first mission I did on insanity. So there are no weapon powers yet but some special ammos (definitely fire but possibly others) prevent regeneration and make krogan much easier to deal with. I would suggest just having an ally use fire ammo at all times and hopefully you have some in your inventory right now.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:06 pm UTC

A lot depends on how you build your characters before doing it and whether or not you do anything else before hitting it up or not. I did an insanity playthrough recently, started with a vanguard and ran into a brick wall on this battle too. I wound up restarting my whole durned game, played as a soldier, build up my defensive abilities and made sure I wasn't in my starter gear for the fight and it was easy-peasy. Unfortunately, no, I don't think there is a way to leave or to even swap out characters short of going back to an old save.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:22 pm UTC

Restarting a mission lets you choose different teammates in ME3. I never had to restart a mission in ME1 though so I am not sure if that's the same.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

I don't think there is a restart mission option in ME1. It's just not organized that way.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:10 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:A lot depends on how you build your characters before doing it and whether or not you do anything else before hitting it up or not. I did an insanity playthrough recently, started with a vanguard and ran into a brick wall on this battle too.

Yeah this is pretty much my problem too. I put most of my points into electronics and intimidate (my previous play-through was paragon so I wanted a change). I have very little combat abilities. And my allies were on auto-level-up so they spent all their points not very effectively either. Well I guess I learned something for my insanity play-through.

One thing I learned is that electronics is useless. I took it as my bonus skill, thinking it would allow me to open locks and stuff. But that turns out to be decryption. Meh. Guess I'll just have to put an engineer in my party next time 'round.

Anyway, the good news is that I finally got past the fight. Still not quite sure how. Guess I got lucky. Both my allies died of course, but meh, fuck 'em. They seem to be a lot better at staying alive in ME2 than in ME1 I have to say :)

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:The first one? Man, it was good at the time, but I look back on all those terrible "go take the rover and explore the planet" bullshit missions, and cringe.
I have mixed feelings about the rover missions. They were kinda lame, but they made the universe seem a lot bigger. In ME2 and ME3 without them it seems like the universe only has a few important planets.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:37 pm UTC

Exploring with the rover was the most fun I had replaying ME1. Sure, it moved in the most perplexingly physics-defying way and the planets didn't have enough stuff on them but it made me feel like I was actually flying across the galaxy and exploring alien worlds. ME2 lost a lot with the loss of the rover but at least had several segments on space ships. ME3 only had two missions that were clearly not on Earth.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:40 am UTC

ME1 really captured the austerity and desolate frontier nature of space exploration and exploitation. Seeing the little prefab shacks and the spartan accommodation the explorers used really brought that home. Even Noveria, with all it's illegal/unethical corporate money was of utilitarian design.

I think the improvements in graphical fidelity in later games took away some of the gritty, life on the edge sci-fi. Still great fun, but a different world. So to speak.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:10 am UTC

Sorry for the necro, but this seemed the most appropriate thread.

Has anyone tried the Original Mass Effect on the PS3 (part of the ME Trilogy Set)?

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

I'm playing it now. It's fine, though it's weird moving from PC where everything is easier to access with hotkeys. I'm stuck with Immunity on hotkey and using the wheel for everything else. Also, I had trouble at first with decryption but now I don't. And I don't think it's me getting better at the little minigame. I'm not sure if it's Tali's increased decryption, me playing on another display, or some bug that cleared with a restart, but at first I was having to omnigel every single lock because the game ended in about 1/4 a second.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Koa

Postby Koa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 pm UTC

Andromeda is coming out in a few hours and the reviews are out. Reception is mixed, It's reminding me a lot of Dragon Age 2. A good portion of people not liking how unpolished it is and/or the quality of the writing, which then extends to people bashing the game and anyone who likes it, which then forces people who like it to defend it by using similar logic to the ones bashing it, which makes the people defending it look ugly and... Eventually it gets so big as to be gaming journalism news. It's always hard to dig into this sort of an environment to see what people actually think.

There's the animation thing, though I don't find that as interesting. The animations don't seem too great, and it's a red mark but I can look past some of the examples I've seen. Neogaf thread. The Seinfeld thing. "Alarming Facial animations". I guess all the work went into Cora's ass.

Here's an example of the poor writing. Apart from being friendly to the teenager crowd, if that's the worst then it doesn't seem too bad?

But together I'm getting the impression of a huge amount of lack of polish. I think a UI developer leaked that it went through a few different teams, and it was mostly developed by the Montreal "C" team. Likely a lot of management issues. EA's CFO mentioned they were very willing to delay the game again, missing the end of fiscal year revenue boost that it would give, but it seems that was hot air. I can't imagine the game received much QA. Someone somewhere warned that this wasn't ready, and someone else said it was fine. How weird that EA continually has this problem of running their subsidiaries into the ground for profit through the power of established fanbases.

I really like the idea of the open world mako since I'm one of those weirdos who liked driving around the planets in ME1 occasionally, but I also sometimes can't stand the young adult soap opera aspect of modern Bioware, or the DA:I collecathon. Damn it Mass Effect yudodis to me. This should have been an easy dunk.

Interested in what other people's thoughts are on it. Apparently this isn't a general thread on the series but I can't do much about it at this point, I guess it is now.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:43 am UTC

I was going to buy this game regardless of the reviews and hype/lack thereof. So when I saw it was $4.99 for a month of Origin Access which gave me 10% off a $79.99 game along with a 10 hour free trial it only made sense to pick that up.

After about 6 hours in the trial the game itself is a lot of fun. Combat is better than any of the other mass effect games, though autocover instead of needing to press a button takes some getting used to. Combat is a lot more mobile too. You can't direct your squadmates to use powers though which makes combos pretty much just you doing things. Nevertheless combat is fun.

The animations on the humans is somewhat off, but it's not a game breaker and frankly I glossed over it after the first few conversations. Story was fairly limited in the trial but you could do a number of side quests and some main story. A lot of them are go here, scan this, report info to people, but I'm not sure what else people expected. The dialogue is average. There are cringe worthy lines and there are some decent ones. The voice acting in all cases is well done however, so that helps.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:28 pm UTC

so I picked this up yesterday. I got a bit distracted by the Multiplayer. Seems very similar to Mass Effect 3 multiplayer which I really enjoyed.

I had a few issues with sounds cutting out but overall it was a good experience.

It seems that some of the loot carries over to the campaign. Has anyone looked into this? Is it worth me spending a bit more time doing multiplayer to make the single player campaign better?

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 am UTC

Andromeda is a pile garbage and no sane person can possibly enjoy it at all... ok, so that's an exaggeration. There are some good things about the game and I can appreciate them in theory. I don't play many AAA games so the graphics are stunning as far as I am concerned; the character mobility in combat is cool; the voice actors do a good job with the material they're given. The thing is that every good thing about the game is ruined by a bad thing paired with it.

Preset characters and major NPCs just look wrong- they fall smack in the middle of Uncanny Valley. Animations are terrible- no one walks like a human, no one talks like a human (e.g. lips moving and arms waving around bonelessly while the rest of the face and body are perfectly static) and the facial expressions are way off. My Ryder looks like someone is screwing in thumb tacks under her nails every time she's supposed to be smiling which completely ruins the scene every time and her lips often get detached while she is speaking often moving several inches away from her face. The same to a lesser extent is true of all the other NPCs I've spoken to so far.

Decision making is gone. I've finished the intro, the first explorable "open world" planet and explored three whole star systems and there hasn't been a single decision to make. I don't even mean major "life or death of a species" decisions like in previous ME games, I mean everything happens in a strictly enforced linear order over an "open" world planet which is just ridiculous. As the simplest example, there are three identical alien artifacts that need to be activated in order to get to the next step of the mission and they must be activated in a predetermined order just because the triggering events on one won't happen until you've done them on the "previous" one. Another example- an investigation mission to figure out who is sabotaging something that literally has you following markers and interacting with things but at no point accepts any input from the player- it's all just follow marker, press E at thing, listen to Ryder talk, get new marker. People who've finished the game swear there are decisions to come later but at least the first 10 hours of single player have been in the proverbial linear hallway for me.

Combat is a slog despite the movement improvements. This is partially due to my difficulty setting but enemies just take forever to die. Even the weakest enemies need multiple headshots from my starter sniper rifle to go down and they can take a full assault rifle clip to the head from point blank range without flinching. Lower difficulties have the alternative problem of making both enemy health and damage too low so a grazing hit brings down bad guys but Ryder can just walk around in the open shrugging off enemy fire. Combat is also way too frequent and brings the exploration to a grinding halt each time as being "in combat" has a totally different set of rules as if we are in a turn based rpg.

Exploring star system is a mixture of annoying and boring. There's a 30 second cinematic every time you move between planets in a system or between systems. "Exploring" a star system involves just going to each planet in it- most of those have nothing and the ones that do have a single thing you click on once. Exploring on the ground, at least in Eos, was not an open world at all. There are very few things to discover, the size of the explorable area is tiny and the ways to move around a preplanned- this isn't the Mako from ME1 that could get you anywhere over every terrain if you were smart about it. On that note the Nomad doesn't control right- it isn't quite as bad as the Mako but it still controls like a plastic toy rather than a multi-ton vehicle.

Finally the story, what little I've seen of it so far, is on the level of a teen drama (think Teen Wolf or The Vampire Diaries). That wouldn't be a huge issue by itself for me since I like those kinds of goofy shows well enough but combined with the Uncanny Valley characters I don't care about and the constant interruptions of combat and exploration, it feels like a chore.

Multiplayer might be the only redeeming part of the game. It is fun but not really better than ME3- movement is more interesting but enemies have annoying amounts of health that mean serious grinding is required to play at the higher difficulties. There are a lot of microphone issues which means everyone just gets muted in every game which in turn means absolutely no communication between players in an ostensibly co-op game.

TL;DR It's bad. Not absolutely horrible but enough is wrong that I regret buying it and will likely never finish it. Some people promise it gets better later on but I seriously doubt it.

P.S.
It seems that some of the loot carries over to the campaign. Has anyone looked into this? Is it worth me spending a bit more time doing multiplayer to make the single player campaign better?
So far I've gotten a bunch of bronze crates and they're mostly inconsequential. A money crate gives you ~30 credits but I have 6000 credits and am just getting started. The resource ones are more useful (~30 of random resource and while I have ~500 of some, I only have ~100 of others) and the research ones might be the best because it saves you the chore of scanning every single piece of equipment you come across for the research points. Maybe higher tier rewards get much better?

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:52 pm UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:Decision making is gone. I've finished the intro, the first explorable "open world" planet and explored three whole star systems and there hasn't been a single decision to make. I don't even mean major "life or death of a species" decisions like in previous ME games, I mean everything happens in a strictly enforced linear order over an "open" world planet which is just ridiculous. As the simplest example, there are three identical alien artifacts that need to be activated in order to get to the next step of the mission and they must be activated in a predetermined order just because the triggering events on one won't happen until you've done them on the "previous" one. Another example- an investigation mission to figure out who is sabotaging something that literally has you following markers and interacting with things but at no point accepts any input from the player- it's all just follow marker, press E at thing, listen to Ryder talk, get new marker. People who've finished the game swear there are decisions to come later but at least the first 10 hours of single player have been in the proverbial linear hallway for me.

There were plenty of decisions to be done on Eos/Nexus at the start of the game from my recollection.
Spoiler:
There's a choice with the murderer/attempted murderer right at the start. There's how to deal with the protesters on the Nexus. There's deciding whether to lie or not to your unconscious sibling. The investigation mission you're talking about (I think) has a decision at the end. The hammer placing mission has a decision in the middle too. I agree that many of these don't have much weight behind them but they're there. As you progress past Eos there are more decisions in the story missions as well.

Combat is a slog despite the movement improvements. This is partially due to my difficulty setting but enemies just take forever to die. Even the weakest enemies need multiple headshots from my starter sniper rifle to go down and they can take a full assault rifle clip to the head from point blank range without flinching. Lower difficulties have the alternative problem of making both enemy health and damage too low so a grazing hit brings down bad guys but Ryder can just walk around in the open shrugging off enemy fire. Combat is also way too frequent and brings the exploration to a grinding halt each time as being "in combat" has a totally different set of rules as if we are in a turn based rpg.

I'm playing on the normal difficulty and find things die reasonably. A tech or biotic combo will do significant damage to stronger bad guys and outright kill lesser bad guys. My Carnifex takes out unshielded grunts in one or two headshots. I imagine on Insanity or the like things to become pretty bullet spongy though.

Exploring star system is a mixture of annoying and boring. There's a 30 second cinematic every time you move between planets in a system or between systems. "Exploring" a star system involves just going to each planet in it- most of those have nothing and the ones that do have a single thing you click on once. Exploring on the ground, at least in Eos, was not an open world at all. There are very few things to discover, the size of the explorable area is tiny and the ways to move around a preplanned- this isn't the Mako from ME1 that could get you anywhere over every terrain if you were smart about it. On that note the Nomad doesn't control right- it isn't quite as bad as the Mako but it still controls like a plastic toy rather than a multi-ton vehicle.

Space exploring is bad and the cutscene is annoying as hell. Can't deny that. Eos was pretty large in my opinion though. Note you need to complete some of the next main mission before Eos really clears up the radiation and you get a MUCH bigger area to explore. I'm not sure what you're saying about the Nomad though. Throw it into 4 wheel drive mode and with boost it can practically climb vertically up cliffs. Once it's upgraded its even more maneuverable.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:34 pm UTC

So the combat is much the same as ME3. I actually preferred being clear on when I was in cover and not in cover (because its' such a binary thing no matter how integrated they try to make it) but it's not that bad at lower difficulties. If you want to crank up the difficulty on mass effect combat, I would recommend playing abilities/meele rather than shooting things from cover because it's not so clear a distinction anymore. I'm actually playing on console (which I regret, but I couldn't stomache upgrading my PC to adequate and I just got a PS4 PRO) and without any type of lock-on thing I just decided to put it on casual and enjoy the ride.

It's still Mass Effect-ey in setting. It feels most like Mass Effect 1 in that the inventory system is a mess, the skills are a mess, the game feels more unpolished (the lip-sync is horrendous at times and the skin is plastic), and the exploration component is at the forefront where ME2 and ME3 were much more structured. I have to say, ME2 was my favorite after it ditched most of the crap from ME1 and focused down on it's core competencies with polish and depth. ME:A's engine seems alright (not like ME1 combat bugs everywhere) but overall game polish and depth is out the window.

I don't like the romance stuff. It's tackey at this point. I have nothing against bisexuals but having romance options for pretty much every shipmate from both genders on either gender as a player character really makes sexuality in ME:A feel completely tacked on rather than adding to the character interaction depth. Can't a character just be straight? Or even just Gay? Isn't having a defined sexuality a significant part of a character's identity? I mean sure, have a bisexual character or two but just don't make EVERYONE bisexual. That's not being diverse, it's being lazy.

The game's main progression is a spacey spread out version of Grand Theft Auto. Maps filled with fast travel points, quest markers full of pressing things you can let sit mid-quest for however long you want while going off to some other end of the galactic cluster for as long as you want. Everyone's standing around waiting for your arrival to run this fetch quest or clear out this bad guy infested pit (that's right next door). It's tried and true and boring as hell.

Mass Effect 1-3 to me were all about narrative driven gameplay. You wanted to see what was next. Your actions had consequences and affected the world around you. Good and bad things happened. Stories had twists. Side quests added depth to the backstory and the world making. ME:A is on the contrary a pretty clear slog. Terraform the cluster through a series of local (go to computer in bad guy camp and send me info from it), regional (clear out badguy tower. Sequential areas with sequential gates and lots of ambushes and a boss), and global (single binary fix to planet/race. Some unconnected overall plot nugget revealed). I hate going to NPC camp number 347, doing a couple quests to make their lives better, hearing their walk-up dialog change slightly, while they continue to lean over the same console, before proceeding to camp 348.

AAA games are converging towards some GTA/MMO type deal all too often now. They can show off graphics, some decent running and gunning, character/gear stats and items, huge worlds, dozens of hours of unique dialog, and not a damn bit of direction of narrative drive. Do the next "main plotline" quest, or skip it for now and do what 90% of the game is built around: glorified fetch quests for necessary resources. Intergalactic errand boy at your service.

I honestly can't tell sometimes if I'm playing FFXV or ME:A. Should I stop by Cid to see if he's upgraded my Sniper rifle to level III yet? Did I forget to fill up the Mako? What quest gives me the red paint upgrade on my car? Why do I care what color paint my car has? I'll try to trudge through this crap but it's not because I enjoy everything I'm doing. I'm enjoying a smaller and smaller percentage of the actual game. Can I skip the 45 minute slog and just fight the boss guy? His dungeon is filled with the same enemies and terrain constructs as the last one.

Gah.

In summary: playing ME:A is like reading my post. Padded, directionless, zero reason to repeat the expeience, and whatever nuggets you actually like you'll probably forget in the sea of bland.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:39 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Isn't having a defined sexuality a significant part of a character's identity? I mean sure, have a bisexual character or two but just don't make EVERYONE bisexual. That's not being diverse, it's being lazy.

Actually very few of them are bisexual. The game just switches everyone from gay/straight to straight/gay, depending on what gender you start the game with. It's all quite complicated, really.

(And no, sexuality usually has very little bearing on people's identities. It's a remarkably small part of most people's personalities. I've made many friends whom I only discovered the sexuality of many months, or sometimes years, after I met them. This is double-true for bi people, who can "look" straight or gay for a *very* long time, until you happen to hit a conversation path where they talk about their attraction to someone of a gender different from their partner.)
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:49 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:Actually very few of them are bisexual. The game just switches everyone from gay/straight to straight/gay, depending on what gender you start the game with. It's all quite complicated, really.

Wait what? I thought specific people were gay/straight/bi and that was it

Spoiler:
Gil, Suvi: Gay
Cora, Liam, Jaal, Vetra: Straight
Peebee: Bi

Return to “Gaming”