8 digit phone number

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

8 digit phone number

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:51 am UTC

So earlier today I got several phone calls from a 8-digit phone number. When I answered I heard what seemed to be a voice and alot of distortion similar to the sound one of those old-timey modems made.

From what I understand that shouldn't even be possible.(I'm in the U.S. btw) When I called sprint they were as confused as I. Anyone have any ideas what could be happening?
...making an issue of stimulus-triggered acquisition of pluripotency much more complicated than it needs to be.
Quizatzhaderac

Re: 8 digit phone number

Postby Sana » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:07 am UTC

Caller ID spoofing.
Sana

Postby Xanthir » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

Several countries, such as Australia, have an 8-digit phone number. It's possible someone from there is accidentally trying to fax you something.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))
Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:46 am UTC

I see some telemarketers that have a number as their name in caller ID. Usually it's the same as the actual phone number (the phone shows both), but I can imagine for some reason someone having a random 8-digit number.

Also, I sometimes get calls from 000-000-0000. O_o
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby munchman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:02 am UTC

I agree with Xanthir. Some countries, like Australia, have 8 digit phone numbers. Also, could it have been a special number with maybe an area or country code? For example, in Australia, there are certain toll free numbers that are 6 digits, and we have 2 digit area codes (not sure if it is possible). Could it have been a 1800 number with the 1800 chopped off? It may be possible that your phone is misinterpreting a mobile phone number. Or maybe it was a call from a payphone, although they usually have caller ID blocking.

Whew. That was long.
There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
Compaq Presario CQ60. 2GB Ram, Intel Celeron Dual Core Processor, Windows Vista Home Premium. 250 GB HDD
munchman

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure an international call would have the country code in the number, which is to say the country code + the area code + the local number. Also my phone doesn't give me the name of my caller (unless I program it in) just the number so it can't be a caller ID thing.
...making an issue of stimulus-triggered acquisition of pluripotency much more complicated than it needs to be.
Quizatzhaderac

Postby scrovak » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:01 am UTC

And you're sure God isn't trying to get ahold of you?
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks
scrovak

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:01 am UTC

Unlikely, but I'll ask him when I go to his house this weekend.
Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:15 am UTC

In case anybody cares, I figured it out. Somebody was trying to send my phone an instant message.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Quizatzhaderac

Postby DreadArchon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Well that doesn't help my question...

Calls from my university are un-redial-able because they're 8 digits instead of 7. University staff members are pretty clueless; I was hoping this thread would provide insight. :(
DreadArchon

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:28 am UTC

DreadArchon wrote:Well that doesn't help my question...

Calls from my university are un-redial-able because they're 8 digits instead of 7. University staff members are pretty clueless; I was hoping this thread would provide insight. :(

have you tried chopping off a digit from the left or right
also you could try putting the area code first (at least from my experience I can put my own area code for a number in the same area code)

just had a thought, some large phone networks (company for example) require you to press '0' before dialing, could this be transferred through? (on second thought that wouldn't effect the number being dialled from)

at a hospital once my mum wanted to use dial up internet on her laptop, so I chucked a zero infront of the dialling address and it worked, they kicked her off after about 20 minutes I think, no idea how
GENERATION 2+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Divide by zero, and then add i to the generation.
keeperofdakeys

Return to The Help Desk