Laptop Will Not Power On

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Aluminus

Laptop Will Not Power On

Postby Aluminus » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

I opened the lid on my (refurbished) laptop this morning, only to find it dead silent. It did not start up. Confused, I looked at the indicator lights. Both were off. This means that (even though the battery is fully charged, and the laptop is plugged in) the lights indicated that the laptop was not plugged in (charging) and the laptop was not turning on.

The state of the machine:
-Full battery (checked with the built-in battery tester)
-Fully operational yesterday, hibernated normally last night
-AC Power adapter working fine (verified)
-Data has been backed up (last week)

What I did:
-Open the laptop (nothing happened)
-Press the power button once (nothing happened)
-Press the power button for 5, 8 and 10 seconds (nothing happened)
-Unplug and plug in the power adapter again (nothing happened)
-Unplug and plug in the battery again (nothing happened)

I'm using my desktop PC with my data backed up on a USB key. I'll be sending it in to Gateway for service, but as it's refurbished, the short warranty has expired. Luckily, I bought the laptop at half price.

What do you think is wrong with it?
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

The Reaper

Re: Laptop Will Not Power On

Postby The Reaper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:44 am UTC

Do laptop MBs have a battery you can pop out?

Could be whatever the machine was refurbished for struck again. Shitty manufacturer and all that jazz.

[Late Edit: Just to not sound like an idiot for asking about batteries, I was talking about a cmos battery]
Last edited by The Reaper on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

Well, I took off the cover and swapped the memory, thinking it could be that, but as I had my head close to the motherboard (trying to see all of the little parts) I hear a faint clicking noise. 4 clicks. I put the memory back on, close the cover, tighten the screws, and listen. Another four clicks. I take out the battery and unplug the laptop. Nothing.

I put the battery back in.
4 clicks.

This is not a memory issue I realized. The power supply is shot. :|
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

coppro

Postby coppro » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

That really sucks. So the problem wasn't just main screen not turn on.

Maybe if you're lucky it's just a loose connection or something, rather than a busted PSU. That would ruin anyone's day.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:Well, I took off the cover and swapped the memory, thinking it could be that, but as I had my head close to the motherboard (trying to see all of the little parts) I hear a faint clicking noise. 4 clicks. I put the memory back on, close the cover, tighten the screws, and listen. Another four clicks. I take out the battery and unplug the laptop. Nothing.

I put the battery back in.
4 clicks.

This is not a memory issue I realized. The power supply is shot. :|

bad RAM would not have caused no power lights to come on. The system would just fail to boot. I know desktop's will give you those lovely beeping error codes when it loads the bios if something goes wrong. I would assume laptops would, too? (haven't experienced it with one before).

Power Supply is, indeed, the only thing that should cause what you describe.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

What's the laptop model?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Chances are if its a gateway refurbish, out of warranty its just going to be cheaper to replace the system.
Though it really does sound like a power issue on the board.

But regardless, what's the model? How long ago did you get it?
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Gateway MP8708 (Retail version through TigerDirect)
Purchased August 2007
At half price. ;)

Yeah, the lights at the front not being on freaked me out because it was still plugged in to the wall. So I knew instantly that the problem was going to be a lot more pesky than other computer problems I've dealt with in the past. I don't like that there's not too much I can do about it.
I'm going to swap out the HDD and use a spare laptop from my dad. That way, I can still do my work. I'm glad all of my stuff is backed up though.

I'll see what Gateway can do for me, logistics of fixing it versus trading it in, etc.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:36 am UTC

coppro wrote:That really sucks. So the problem wasn't just main screen not turn on.

Two weeks, and nobody noticed that? For shame!

Unless you were all just ignoring it and hoping it would go away. In which case all I can offer in my defense is: now I'm going to make you lose twenty dollars and my self respect, as well. :shock:

Return to “The Help Desk”