AIM/ICQ (maybe) moving to Jabber/XMPP

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Gadren

AIM/ICQ (maybe) moving to Jabber/XMPP

Postby Gadren » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:56 am UTC

Apparently AOL is shifting to a more open protocol.

What are your thoughts on all of this? I was glad when I could finally phase out my old YIM login (since I had no friends... who used YIM), and I essentially don't know anyone who uses MSN exclusively. Since most of my friends are on Google Talk or AIM, this is something I'm pretty happy about.

The server is xmpp.oscar.aol.com, but either it's getting hit pretty hard with all the new attention, or I'm doing things wrong -- because I can't connect to it (I'm using the Psi client, by the way, which should work). And when it's up and running, will the way to do things be to import my contact list from AIM into my Google Talk account?

Workaphobia

Re: AIM/ICQ (maybe) moving to Jabber/XMPP

Postby Workaphobia » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:23 am UTC

I've been meaning to learn to use jabber for a while now. I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't beat the curve by doing so before this announcement; now I may lose my motivation to try to take charge of my IMing technology.
Evidently, the key to understanding recursion is to begin by understanding recursion.

The rest is easy.

trickster721

Re: AIM/ICQ (maybe) moving to Jabber/XMPP

Postby trickster721 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:18 am UTC

An IM network supporting MORE THAN ONE protocol? What will they think of next?

Return to “The Help Desk”