Firefox issue on annotations

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

St4rgaz3r

Firefox issue on annotations

Postby St4rgaz3r » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:13 am UTC

So, hi everyone =P

I'm writing this since I'm having an odd issue with Firefox (50.0), and every time I open a "what if" article it automatically opens all the annotations on the page, covering the main text and making it quite difficult to read.. It has been doing this thing for a little while now but I can't tell why, and if I use Chrome I have no problem.

Any suggestion on how to fix it?

Flumble

Re: Firefox issue on annotations

Postby Flumble » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:21 pm UTC

Sounds like you have javascript disabled on the page. (annotations are visible by default and they're hidden with some javascript code when loading the page)

St4rgaz3r

Postby St4rgaz3r » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:05 pm UTC

Ah... thank you.
It seems that java was blocked due to some vulnerability and stopped working on its own. Even after updating and setting on "always active" though it still seems to be disabled.. am i forgetting something?

timrem

Postby timrem » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:26 pm UTC

Java is not Javascript, Javascript is not Java. I can't actually find a way to natively, wholesale block Javascript in Firefox 50, but you may have an Add-on such as Ghostery or NoScript that is blocking Javascript on What-If.

Flumble

Postby Flumble » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:26 pm UTC

java is not javascript (one is using a plugin container and may be disabled by the browser because of security vulnerabilities, the other is a deeply ingrained part of websites and browsers nowadays; ingrained as in: even clicking a smiley to insert it into your forum post uses javascript)

So my guess would be that you have some extension that is blocking javascript, such as noscript, ghostery, adblock, or you have somehow disabled javascript entirely/your browser doesn't support javascript. (the latter is really improbable though, because half of the websites you're visiting wouldn't even work decently without javascript)

[edit]darn, 40 seconds late

St4rgaz3r

Postby St4rgaz3r » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

Yea, it actually was adblock =P
not sure if it blocked scripts because of something I did or it's just default, anyway turning it off solved the issue. And also an issue I had on another site that I couldn't figure out.

Thank you!

Return to “The Help Desk”