Canon MX430

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

manicat

Canon MX430

Postby manicat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:55 pm UTC

Hi I hope someone can help me as I'm tearing my hair out with my printer! It is saying that the paper output tray is closed even when it is open so I can't print anything. I have tried looking for a sensor or tab but can't find anything and of course the manual is useless! If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Canon MX430

Postby Deva » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:35 am UTC

Is this or that helpful? Addresses different models. Presumes similar remedies.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

manicat

Postby manicat » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:11 am UTC

Thanks for replying but I have already looked at those sites and the model in the second link is very different to mine and the first link is only a woman explaining (in great detail) what the top tray is for. I can find nothing of any help on the web hence this question hoping someone is familiar with this model.

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:38 pm UTC

Try closing the tray firmly (not hard enough to break anything, but firmly) and then open it again the same way.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, you can try this... note that I am working off another model, but it should be similar enough to yours...

On the underside of the tray, look for a small microswitch with two thin wires attached to it. You may have to carefully pop off the tray from it's hinge to see it. Usually there is a small plastic tab near the switch that closes the circuit when the tray is open - if this becomes bent or breaks off, it doesn't work anymore. In many cases you can bend it back, or glue something there, or even bend the wires closer together. Note that this will be a temporary fix - it'll eventually bend back or break again.

As a last, last resort you could simply bridge the wires - twist them together for example - in which case the circuit is always closed (so the printer thinks the tray is always open) but this - again - a last resort and could cause other problems. You do so at your own risk.

Return to “The Help Desk”