Wifi mysteriously broadcasting while disabled

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Cradarc

Wifi mysteriously broadcasting while disabled

Postby Cradarc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:00 am UTC

My parents have a Dell desktop computer that came with with a wireless adapter. It is connected to the home router via Ethernet cable. To save power, I decided to disable the Wifi adapter when I set up the computer for them.
While connected to their network today, I opened up Wireshark on my laptop and discovered the Desktop computer was sending UDP packets to IP 239.255.255.250. Some quick research told me that it corresponds to a broadcast for discovering printers and whatnot. The thing is, the printer is wired to the PC and it is currently turned off. Furthermore, device manager still showed the wireless adapter as being disabled on the Desktop!

Why is this happening? You would think that I don't need to physically remove the Wifi card to disable it.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.

Sizik

Re: Wifi mysteriously broadcasting while disabled

Postby Sizik » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:18 pm UTC

Sure it's not sending those over the Ethernet?
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Cradarc

Postby Cradarc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:42 pm UTC

Wireshark is sniffing wifi signals only. I'm also connected wirelessly to the network. I don't see why I would be picking up ethernet signals.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:25 pm UTC

Cradarc wrote:Wireshark is sniffing wifi signals only. I'm also connected wirelessly to the network. I don't see why I would be picking up ethernet signals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_multicast#Technical_description wrote:IP multicast is a technique for one-to-many and many-to-many real-time communication over an IP infrastructure in a network. It scales to a larger receiver population by requiring neither prior knowledge of a receiver's identity nor prior knowledge of the number of receivers. Multicast uses network infrastructure efficiently by requiring the source to send a packet only once, even if it needs to be delivered to a large number of receivers. The nodes in the network (typically network switches and routers) take care of replicating the packet to reach multiple receivers such that messages are sent over each link of the network only once.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Cradarc

Postby Cradarc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 pm UTC

Oh interesting. So basically the computer is telling the router to look for the printer which is turned off.
Is there a way I can make it stop these requests? Perhaps an option to turn off multicasting.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:22 am UTC

You need to turn off network discovery, which should be (depending on Windows version) in Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Cradarc

Postby Cradarc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:02 am UTC

Fixed! Thanks for the help!

Return to “The Help Desk”