Mac Newbie Help!

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

matt198992

Mac Newbie Help!

Postby matt198992 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:58 am UTC

I'm trying to help a friend with re-installing OSX on their iMac (2007, 20") and I've got it mostly running.
However, after doing the "software update", it downloads and prompts to reboot the computer. After clicking Reboot, the desktop goes away, and it leaves me with the background and mouse pointer, but that's it. It won't move from that screen even after leaving it for 30+ minutes.

The same thing happens if I use the regular "reboot" option (outside of the software update screen). The computer shuts down just fine, however.

I looked around online and tried a couple of methods, including repairing the permissions and turning off firevault. Still no dice. Most people reporting a restart problem at least get the pinwheel or a grey screen, but all I seem to get is just the menu and docking bar disappearing.

Any suggestions? I hate to post for help, but I'm at a loss on this one.
Thanks in advance!

Update: I tried the repair disk, repaired the OS partition, and it rebooted fine. However, once I try to initiate the update again, it's back to square one.

WanderingLinguist

Re: Mac Newbie Help!

Postby WanderingLinguist » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

What version of OS X are you installing? And which software update causes the problem (it should list it on the update screen; if there are several updates at once, turn them off and try doing them one by one and see which one causes the problem). I'm not sure I can help, but having specific version information would at least make it more likely :)

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Re: Mac Newbie Help!

Postby Qaanol » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:51 am UTC

What version of OS X is currently on the machine?
wee free kings

Return to “The Help Desk”