Android music players keep crashing

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Android music players keep crashing

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:59 am UTC

Hey everyone. About a month ago I purchased an LG L90 phone and up until a few days ago everything was fine. But the stock music player began to crash on me. I noticed that it was usually when I was using Chrome, but in those cases the browser was laggy too so I didn't give it much thought. But it kept happening so I downloaded Shuttle, another music player and it was fine for a couple of days until again it crashed on me. After that, I thought the problem was Chrome so I installed Firefox, but again it crashed on me. Now, I'm well aware my phone isn't anywhere near top of the line, but even this phone should be able to let me browse the internet and listen to music at the same time. I'm on version 4.4.2 for the record. Also all my songs are on an sd card.

WanderingLinguist

Re: Android music players keep crashing

Postby WanderingLinguist » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:23 am UTC

There are loads and loads of things that could be causing it.

If you're comfortable with setting up the Android development tools and getting adb logcat output from the phone at the time of the crash, you might see some information that would give you (or someone else, perhaps on the forums) a clue about what's going wrong (look for "FATAL EXCEPTION" in the logcat output; that line and the following 10~20 or so lines will have some information about exactly what crashed). If you want to try this, Google for instructions (it's a bit too complex for me to explain here....)

If you're not comfortable with that, the only suggestions I have are:
1) Uninstall everything except what was originally installed on the phone and see if it still crashes; if not, re-install one app at a time to figure out which is causing it
2) Make sure all background tasks are shut down (in settings, not in the task switcher) and see if that fixes the crash
3) Take it in for service and/or try a factory reset

It would also help if you can say which Android OS version you're running.

Maybe someone else will have better ideas, but there's just too many factors and too many possible things that could be wrong.

Return to “The Help Desk”