Maps historical deaths?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

burnthills

Maps historical deaths?

Postby burnthills » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

Hi all!

I'm looking to find a google map (or similar) that has historical deaths charted. Not just famous deaths but maybe someone has created an archive of names going back, say 100 years and where they have died? Maybe someone has combined the local obituaries with tax property data and has charted it in a google map style?

The reason I'm interested is this: I'm buying a property where someone was murdered last year - after the initial shock and uneasiness, I did some reading online and see that most people are ok with purchasing such a property, generally the feeling people have is "If a house is 100 or 200 years old, someone likely died in it anyway, knowing what happened to the previous owner is not much different". Our family has accepted the negative aspect of this property but I'm trying to find some ways to talk about it with neighbors or others that ask.

Our county has an excellent page of (slightly outdated now) tax property records in google format:

Is there any version of the info I'm looking for? It can be any town or city, a jpeg, a list, a chart, a map - anything to see some statistics on age of house data with death data together?

Has anyone made this as a fancy live map yet or know of something similar?

burnthills

Re: Maps historical deaths?

Postby burnthills » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:35 pm UTC

...couldn't post the website as xkcd forum has decided it was spam but I want to share it for reference:

giswebhosting with triple w and dot com.

slash ShovelReady

slash Saratoga

Return to “The Help Desk”