XKCD 0862: "Let Go" script help

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

umaoidori

XKCD 0862: "Let Go" script help

Postby umaoidori » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:54 am UTC

superposed posted this script a while ago implementing Randall's idea in the title text of this comic 862

It works well, but I'm running the ruby script from cmd. Is there anyway I can hide the cmd program from my view so that I can't easily terminate the script? If not, can you recommend other people's solutions that will not let you terminate the script easily? Also is there any way to run a ruby script automatically in the startup silently in the background? Thanks
I'm using Windows 8 by the way

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Re: XKCD 0862: "Let Go" script help

Postby bachaddict » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:40 am UTC

Can't it be compiled to an exe?
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:02 am UTC

http://superuser.com/questions/198525/h ... background

This article gives a few ways to do it
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:29 am UTC

There are two different interpreter exes in ruby: ruby.exe and rubyw.exe. If you run your script with rubyw.exe then it will run in the background without popping up a console window. It's intended more for programs that make their own GUI (and don't want that extra console window cluttering everything up) but you could also use it to just run things silently in the background.

I've never actually used Ruby for much myself, and never on Windows, so I can't say for sure, but Google seems to suggest that's how it works, and that's how other languages (Python, Java) do it.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “The Help Desk”