Samsung Galaxy S3 becoming sluggish

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Aldarion

Samsung Galaxy S3 becoming sluggish

Postby Aldarion » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

My Samsung Galaxy S3, running android 4.3, is more than a year old, and for most of it it had behaved beautifully, but for the last month or two it's really, really slow. It takes about two or three seconds for the screen to turn on after I press the "on" button, and about the same time (or more) to open a new app or go to the open apps menu and switch between apps.
Even opening the phone app, choosing a contact and dialing requires a second or two (or three...) between each of the steps.
Chrome is also acting up badly: opening it, switching between tabs, opening a new tab or closing an old one all take time. Also, something really weird: when I'm on a page, when I type in another address and press Enter, the progress bar just gets stuck, and the new page doesn't load; I have to close the tab (...delay...), open a new one (...delay...) and type int he address there, and only then it will open. Opening two tabs doesn't work well either: one of them will almost certainly just blank out, losing all content. Reloading doesn't help.
And to cap it all, occasionally (maybe when the page is too loaded with content? no idea) Chrome just crashed into a black screen and closes spontaneously, with no warning.

My warranty is still valid, so I'll most probably get it in service soon, but I'd still like your opinions on what the problem could be.
Thanks in advance.
I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.

cphite

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 becoming sluggish

Postby cphite » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:49 pm UTC

Aldarion wrote:My Samsung Galaxy S3, running android 4.3, is more than a year old, and for most of it it had behaved beautifully, but for the last month or two it's really, really slow. It takes about two or three seconds for the screen to turn on after I press the "on" button, and about the same time (or more) to open a new app or go to the open apps menu and switch between apps.
Even opening the phone app, choosing a contact and dialing requires a second or two (or three...) between each of the steps.
Chrome is also acting up badly: opening it, switching between tabs, opening a new tab or closing an old one all take time. Also, something really weird: when I'm on a page, when I type in another address and press Enter, the progress bar just gets stuck, and the new page doesn't load; I have to close the tab (...delay...), open a new one (...delay...) and type int he address there, and only then it will open. Opening two tabs doesn't work well either: one of them will almost certainly just blank out, losing all content. Reloading doesn't help.
And to cap it all, occasionally (maybe when the page is too loaded with content? no idea) Chrome just crashed into a black screen and closes spontaneously, with no warning.

My warranty is still valid, so I'll most probably get it in service soon, but I'd still like your opinions on what the problem could be.
Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue with both of my Android phones - it's one of the reasons I've switched to a Windows phone.

One thing you could try is clearing your cache... open the Settings app, tap Storage, scroll down, tap Cached data, and tap OK. At least, that's how it worked on mine...

You can download an app called Usemon that will show you the processing statistics for your device; this will allow you to see what apps are taking the most CPU, memory, etc.

Dansiman

Postby Dansiman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:45 pm UTC

Android 4.3 introduced a lot of problems. The first thing I'd recommend is to see if your carrier has provided an OTA 4.4 update. I'm pretty sure all S3 models in the US have one available by now, except those without a 4G radio. Don't know about the rest of the globe.

If this is not available (and maybe as another step even if you do update), the next thing I can think of is to make sure you aren't running low on internal storage. Settings > More > Application Manager shows a graph at the bottom of the screen; on the Downloaded and All screens, this shows "Device memory" (protip: the curved braces between the bar and the list of apps point to how much of the space is used by apps, the blue area to the left of that being used by the system, and the gray area to the right is free space). Even if you have plenty of free space on your SD card, you will experience performance issues if your internal storage is below 10% free (I have actually sometimes had issues still at about 12-15% free). Uninstalling enough apps (or moving them to SD storage) to get your internal storage to above 20% free tends to fix a lot of sluggishness, and cphite's suggestion of clearing the cache will also help there.

The S3 also has a built-in task manager that will quickly tell you if you have too much RAM utilization. Just press and hold the Home button to get your recent apps list, then tap on the little pie chart icon at the bottom. Go to the RAM tab. If the bar is too full, tap on "Clear memory", and you'll get a toast notification "## applications closed". The RAM utilization bar should immediately drop significantly (under normal circumstances, mine drops to about 50% RAM used). I have had occasions where the "Clear memory" button didn't free up hardly any RAM even though it reported closing a lot of apps, which indicates that some app has had a memory leak (that's my best guess, anyway), and that tells me I need to reboot the phone, pronto.

Hopefully this helps! :)

jstylen

Postby jstylen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

The easiest "fix" is probably a factory reset. Of course that will wipe everything off your phone. If you don't want to do anything that drastic I would recommend going through and deleting any apps that you aren't using then, as already recommended, be sure to clear your cache out.

Carry002

Postby Carry002 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:07 am UTC

i also find when Samsung new modell display on the market ,my old one will get slower and slower.it is a new strategy to attract one to buy new one.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:30 am UTC

My chrome does the same things, but I can live with it. (4.4.4)
Try a nandroid backup and factory reset. If it runs better, restore the backup, backup apps, reset again and restore apps.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Return to “The Help Desk”