Apple is a fucking sack of shit

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Pfhorrest

Apple is a fucking sack of shit

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:29 am UTC

Have a 2011 mbp that used to be perfectly serviceable

Computers dont just get fucking slower over time, they aren't goddamn cars made of mechanical parts that wear out

Motherfucker has gotten laggy as all shit over the past few years and i am fucking sick of it

I blame the goddamn os updates they everyone fucking insists you MUST get because Oh me yarm Oh f34r teh hax0rz zomgomgom

But nothing fucking comes with install media anymore so i cant just do a clean install back to the way this shit came if i wanted

Any recommendations that don't involve me letting these motherfuckers i used to love extort more money out of me?

Fuck tim cook up his ass

Also fuck whoever the hell runs ms these days because those shits are evil as ever too. Office 2008 auto- "upgraded" itself to office 365 that now won't run without me paying them monthly so those fucking cocksuckers just trojan-deleted perfectly fucking good software i had a permanent right to use right off my fucking computer.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mutex

Re: Apple is a fucking sack of shit

Postby Mutex » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:42 am UTC

I'm not a Mac guy but this article seems to have instructions for doing a fresh install, which is probably your best bet to make it snappier:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-s ... e-3575875/

The installation files are apparently available from the App store, it doesn't seem like you need to pay for them, I'm not 100% sure though. Also you'll need an external drive or memory stick of some sort. Hope this helps.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:09 pm UTC

That looks very helpful, thanks!

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:18 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Also fuck whoever the hell runs ms these days because those shits are evil as ever too. Office 2008 auto- "upgraded" itself to office 365 that now won't run without me paying them monthly so those fucking cocksuckers just trojan-deleted perfectly fucking good software i had a permanent right to use right off my fucking computer.

I recently saw this happen on a relatives laptop, and we ended up nuking 365 and reinstalling 2008... instructions and other information can be found here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-msoversion_other/forced-update-to-office-365-form-mac-office-2008/ad62e056-a7c0-45a5-92f8-c881846a23a2?auth=1

Supposedly it was a bug in the auto-updater service, which they've (also supposedly) fixed. If you have a normal 2008 license it should be good forever, no reason to pay them more.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:59 pm UTC

Thanks. I'd since already discovered that as well. I don't have my old Office 2008 install media any more (or rather, since this was on my work computer, my boss can't find it), so we've just abandoned using Office entirely and switched to Google Apps.

thunk

Postby thunk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:I'm not a Mac guy but this article seems to have instructions for doing a fresh install, which is probably your best bet to make it snappier:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-s ... e-3575875/

The installation files are apparently available from the App store, it doesn't seem like you need to pay for them, I'm not 100% sure though. Also you'll need an external drive or memory stick of some sort. Hope this helps.

You don't even need a mac for that, they're also available more directly from the swscan.apple.com domain (which is how I got the image for my hackintosh)
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Return to “The Help Desk”