[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cathy

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Cathy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Not a clue for the shirt other than look to etsy perhaps.

Sungura wrote:
Spoiler:
CorsetSteampunk 4_1.jpg

CorsetSteampunk 3_1.jpg

CorsetSteampunk 2_1.jpg

Amy, you are an absolutely gorgeous woman.

Edit: Oh, what a perfect pagetopper.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:So...I finished my steampunk corset. Wish the details would show better in the photos but thats ok. And I need like a light tan/kaki kind of colour shirt for under it. Thinking more a blousy type...but hard to find without buttons all down the front which is uncomfy under a corset. Open to suggestions...has to be cheap though =) I have black boots for that skirt so I just gotta get the top.

I've seen Ren Fair costumers use regular oversized button-down shirts. Just remove the buttons. Either you can rely on the corsets to hold the shirt closed or you can improvise loops or stitches or something.

Like this:
Spoiler:
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

meridian

Postby meridian » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:55 pm UTC

For fun, I split my face. I'm not comparing them side by side until I post this. whee!
Spoiler:
fey-1.jpg
Side 1
fey-2.jpg
Side 2
Apparently, I'm vaguely symmetrical?

Corset shirts are funky. I actually had some good luck borrowing a shirt (and corset) from GirlTM once that was the most tacky old lady shirt, polyester with frilly high collar and stripes, but when combined with the corset looked delightfully steam punk.

I'm trying to decide if I should add another costume or two to my pre-con roster (as I am helping a friend make a costume for himself and his boyfriend). If I make a costume for myself, we could go as a 'Hunchback of Notre Dame' group at least one of the days -- but it gets complicated. I would also need to make a costume for my date (he's volunteered to be Quasimodo), and order an underbust corset to complete the Esmeralda costume. I ask myself, is one month enough time for 4 costumes? Do I have enough $$ to put together the other two, especially not actually being able to fit the Quasimodo costume? (I kind of want the corset though.)

Probably not, but this is what I am contemplating.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:28 am UTC

With corsets, don't forget to tie them in the center, not the bottom or top.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

Article about the anatomy of the clit.
http://io9.com/5876335/until-2009-the-h ... te-mystery

Summary: the clit is more than just the nub you can see. It actually has tissue that, when excited, wraps around the vagina.

I think it's a neat article that taught me something I didn't know. But just because there are nerves surrounding the vagina doesn't mean that there aren't also nerves in the vagina. So I don't think the argument supports the conclusion.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 am UTC

Wow blueambue, that link is really interesting! I had absolutely no idea... Thanks so much for posting it.

I also came here to share a link that I thought some of you may find amusing:
http://bluemilk.wordpress.com/2011/07/0 ... stfeeding/

It's an old post in a blog so some of you may have already seen it, but it's the first time I've seen it. Possibly NSFW depending on what your boss and co-workers think of crocheted boobies.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:31 am UTC

I have a wedding venue and date! This makes me happy, and far less stressed than I was a day ago. (Granted, stress levels will probably increase again once I get into more wedding planning, but hey!)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:I have a wedding venue and date!
Oh good, it would be embarrassing to show up to your own wedding without a date :P
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:33 am UTC

lanicita wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:I have a wedding venue and date!
Oh good, it would be embarrassing to show up to your own wedding without a date :P

...hah!

(Though technically I'll be inviting my boyfriend to my fiance and my's wedding... yay poly >.>)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 am UTC

Dangerous abortions 'on the rise'

Just putting this here as I know we have people living in countries where abortion may not be legal. Just make sure that people know that the risk of abortion without proper medical care isn't just from puncturing something accidentally (as it would with the stereotypical clotheshanger technique) but also from not getting rid of the tissue within the womb properly (as can often happen with medication or, if you are in the right area, plant remedies as happens at home) as that can lead to infection as the tissue dies and can lead to septicaemia. At home (where it is illegal), I know that the hospital will remove the tissue (as it's a technique needed for some natural miscarriages as well) and it remains confidential - I hope that this is the case in other countries where it's illegal as well.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

So, last night I went to a showing, where I was a model for some alternative photographs.
It was so much fun, both the seeing the pictures, and the modeling. I really had a blast!

I would post photos, but well, I don't think mostly naked me is acceptable on the forums.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

meridian

Postby meridian » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I would post photos, but well, I don't think mostly naked me is acceptable on the forums.

This is what PMs are for.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

It is, and there will be some after Saturday (contractual obligations etc).
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:54 pm UTC

Spoilered for possible TMI

Spoiler:
So on Friday morning when I got home I noticed that my vulva was swollen and a little sore. Since I'd spent the night out with a boy and things had been a little rough I just assumed that it was nothing serious and would go away. Since then the swelling's mostly gone but the area around my vagina is red and really itchy. I'm thinking I have a yeast infection but won't be able to see a doctor until Monday if I'm lucky. In the meantime I can't sleep from all the itching. This is some of the most uncomfortable I've been and really need to make it more manageable until I can see my GP. Does anyone have suggestions to soothe this sort of thing?
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:Spoilered for possible TMI

Spoiler:
So on Friday morning when I got home I noticed that my vulva was swollen and a little sore. Since I'd spent the night out with a boy and things had been a little rough I just assumed that it was nothing serious and would go away. Since then the swelling's mostly gone but the area around my vagina is red and really itchy. I'm thinking I have a yeast infection but won't be able to see a doctor until Monday if I'm lucky. In the meantime I can't sleep from all the itching. This is some of the most uncomfortable I've been and really need to make it more manageable until I can see my GP. Does anyone have suggestions to soothe this sort of thing?

Apparently plain (ie no added sugar) probiotic (so lots of good bacteria for repopulation) yoghurt on a pad is a good thing for yeast infections (the gynaecologist I was working with seemed to approve of it). Make sure there's no sugar in it, or it will make things worse. Put it on a pad - it feels a bit weird at first, but is pretty soothing, especially if it's cold.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:30 pm UTC

You could also just buy some of the yeast infection treatment OTC, any of the creams that end in "azole" should work. I prefer the 5-7 day ones, for some reason the 3 day ones burn like a mofo.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:55 pm UTC

I don't want to try treating myself before a doctor's confirmed that it's actually a yeast infection.
Spoiler:
There's no discharge that I've noticed and all the swelling and itching is around my vagina not in it. The actual discomfort seems to be coming from the fact that I'm super, super dry. Right now I just need to make the itching better enough for me to get through the night.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:07 am UTC

it's possible you'e just got sex burn. too much friction causes a rash. yeast infection lotion is good for that too.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:00 am UTC

Is it normal for the sex burn to last three days? It'll keep seeming to improve then goes back to being painful :( .

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:31 am UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:I don't want to try treating myself before a doctor's confirmed that it's actually a yeast infection.
Spoiler:
There's no discharge that I've noticed and all the swelling and itching is around my vagina not in it. The actual discomfort seems to be coming from the fact that I'm super, super dry. Right now I just need to make the itching better enough for me to get through the night.

Every time I've ever gotten a yeast infection (and I've had at least 5) it's been these exact symptoms. Major swelling and itching but none of the other things. I also second the use of the 5-7 day suppository.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:
Virtual_Aardvark wrote:I don't want to try treating myself before a doctor's confirmed that it's actually a yeast infection.
Spoiler:

Every time I've ever gotten a yeast infection (and I've had at least 5) it's been these exact symptoms. Major swelling and itching but none of the other things. I also second the use of the 5-7 day suppository.

Something else you could try if it's skin irritation down there is to use a lotion with oatmeal in it to help control itching. If it's not the skin at all that's itching, then that's probably not a good idea, but sometimes I get confused as to what's actually itching!

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:17 pm UTC

Went to my GP and it turned out to be a yeast infection after all. She gave me some meds and creme and sent me on my way. Things are definitely better.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:14 am UTC

I'm glad that worked out nicely. It seems that after one yeast infection, you pretty much identify what it feels like pretty quickly later on. They're pretty uncomfortable. :oops:

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:47 am UTC

It annoys me that the only image of boobs you see (other than your own) are idealized/photoshopped/non-realistic. I know that most boobs get non-perky at some point, they're probably not supposed to stay as round and high as they might be when you're a teenager, but still it kind of bothers me :/ especially the fact that I know it definitely won't get better if I lose weight, which I'm planning to.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 pm UTC

Apparently Anonymous wrote:It annoys me that the only image of boobs you see (other than your own) are idealized/photoshopped/non-realistic. I know that most boobs get non-perky at some point, they're probably not supposed to stay as round and high as they might be when you're a teenager, but still it kind of bothers me :/ especially the fact that I know it definitely won't get better if I lose weight, which I'm planning to.

Have you seen the 007 Breasts gallery before? (NSFW if your work don't like boobies!) I've linked to it before, but I'll link to it again! Pages and pages of everyday breasts in all shapes and sizes (including mine!), and it even has separate sections for those who've never been pregnant and those who have. If you're feeling like your breasts are under-represented in there, and you still don't feel comfortable with them, then send in a pic of them and it will be placed among the pages with the bold heading "Normal Breasts Gallery"... can't argue with that!

Also, if anyone's interested, there's a facebook 'event' on Feb 6th to change your profile pic to a breast-feeding image: http://www.facebook.com/events/223438821070846/
Further details (in the form of the message I attempted to send to some of my fb-friends along with the event invite) beneath the spoiler so as not to take up the whole page. I'm nothing to do with the organisation of the event, either, just saw it linked to in the Hey Facebook, breastfeeding is not obscene group.
Spoiler:
Facebook claims that they now allow images of breastfeeding:
http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=34097 ... 193&ref=mf
However, in reality, they continue to remove them:
http://tera.ca/photos17.html (how could they remove the one with the hippopotamus? It's so awesome!)

So this event is a virtual 'nurse-in', "to remind Facebook of their own contention that breastfeeding is natural and beautiful. We want to raise awareness of this issue in hopes of convincing Facebook to revise their policy to formally exempt ALL photographs of babies nursing from their nudity rules."
(The part about revising policy is because the current policy throws any nursing photo that exposes an iota of areola straight into the 'pornographic' box, which is pretty unfair to women with large areolae and ridiculous regardless, in my opinion.)

On the 6th Feb (or from now until then if you wish), change you profile pic to a breastfeeding one. If you don't have or don't want to share your own, there are plenty of other options:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... ing_in_art
http://www.breastfeeding.com/artgallery.html
(or good old google)

Facebook's removal of breastfeeding images supports and fosters the sort of culture expressed in this image here (zoom in to see comments within the image itself, they're pretty scary):
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Note that people who DON'T want to see images of breastfeeding always have the "hide from newsfeed", "remove friend" and "block user" options available, so it's not as though allowing them is shoving them down your throat!

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 pm UTC

As long as we're talking about our lady parts, can it be TMI time?

Spoiler:
Some months ago, I noticed a small bump on my labia majora. A week or two ago, it suddenly got larger and started to hurt when I put pressure on it, so I was paying close attention to it in case I decided to go see a doctor.
This morning, I was in the shower and when I touched it to see if anything had changed, it just pinched off when I ran a fingertip over the area. Whatever came off was whitish and oblong, maybe 2mm at the longest point. The skin where it was is a little red and raw, but it didn’t seem to be bleeding.
What just happened?

Also, a week from tomorrow, I get on a plane and fly to Germany, where I’ll be spending the next four months. Butterflies in my stomach whenever I think about it...

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:31 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Could have been a pimple, and the whitish thing is the cyst. I have a similar bump, but I think the cause is an ingrown hair in my case.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:
sounds like you had an in-grown hair
they are something like a nasty pimple
but with a hair inside
sometimes the hair doesn't come out when you pop it and it takes more time
so you might get that again in the same place.

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:02 am UTC

Not sure what thread to put this in:

Spoiler:
We're getting married Friday and we've started trying for a baby. Did I mention I'm bipolar? So...I've gone as low as I can go on my meds. 100mg of Seroquel was the lowest I got and HOLY FUCK HELLO MANIA!!!! I feel excited and elated and want to move the world...but I know what happens after a week or so of hypomania so I'm knocking that fucker over the head with some more Seroquel and it's been a few days on 150mg and I'm starting to feel more even but want to talk talk talk talk...oh and my internet at home needs a new modem and that's going to take a while...but anyways. Can anyone here relate and is this the wrong thread?

As to other stuff...cold water on my vagina is always good with a yeast infection. I used to have them tons but then I stopped wearing panties and I've never had one again. Creams never worked on me but Difflucan always did.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 am UTC

There is a coping with Bipolar thread in Dear SB.

But baby and wedding stuff is always welcome here! Especially pictures of babies and weddings or babies at weddings or whatever.

namaize

Postby namaize » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:44 am UTC

Woman thread! I am in need of advice.
I have weirdly shaped feet (the knuckle sticks out at like a 10-20deg angle), so finding shoes that fit comfortably is near-impossible, and I have no idea what my actual shoe size is (somewhere around 8w though, in US women's). I recently got a pair of boots (necessary for midwestern winters) that fit okay--they're just about wide enough (but leather, so they'll break in) but they're a tad too long. On top of that, they have a tiny wedge heel--a comfortable height, but I'm not used to anything that's not flats, so every time I take a step my foot slides forward in the shoe a tad and jams into the top part of the shoe, which is too narrow for my feet.
Is there a solution for this? Do there exist like... toe stuffers that can help keep my heel aligned with the back of the shoe? Would it work to cut up sponges and put little pieces in the toe? Or is this actually how boots are supposed to feel?

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:15 am UTC

boots shouldn't do that, i assume it's cause they are too big. for boots that are flat and will fit your knuckles, try men's boots.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:04 am UTC

Isotope_238
Spoiler:
I've had a few bumps like that - sounds like either an ingrown hair or just a blocked sweat/sebaceous gland. I used to get them (the blocked glands) pretty frequently as a kid, but in my armpit. They'd start little, get bigger, sometimes hurt but sometimes not and then they'd pop like you described - little pressure and a whiteish thing would come out. And no bleeding\ or soreness afterwards.

I also seem really prone to ingrown hairs around my ladybits, and those usually hurt/itch more and bleed - quite a bit - when popped.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I'm less worried now. Thanks everybody.

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

Dammnit. I can't tell if it's mania or excitement at this point about getting married Friday.

On to the wedding plans! We're doing a short judge ceremony and then having a small dinner with the people who will stand up at the bigger wedding we have planned for the fall. We don't want to have the big wedding until we get his daughter back (next court date is in May!) and it will be more feasible financially. Usually, we'd wait until we got his daughter but we need to be married now to look better in the eyes of the court. Fucked up, but that's how CPS court rolls.

Has anyone here tried to get pregnant after 30? I'm 31 but I'm terrified that I've waited too long.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

lucrezaborgia wrote:Dammnit. I can't tell if it's mania or excitement at this point about getting married Friday.

On to the wedding plans! We're doing a short judge ceremony and then having a small dinner with the people who will stand up at the bigger wedding we have planned for the fall. We don't want to have the big wedding until we get his daughter back (next court date is in May!) and it will be more feasible financially. Usually, we'd wait until we got his daughter but we need to be married now to look better in the eyes of the court. Fucked up, but that's how CPS court rolls.

Has anyone here tried to get pregnant after 30? I'm 31 but I'm terrified that I've waited too long.

My cousin and aunt both did (and my brother was born after 30 as well), as well as the gynaecologist I was working with this Christmas. It's becoming a lot more common these days.
GNU Terry Pratchett

meridian

Postby meridian » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

I met a woman recently who got pregnant at 42. She has a healthy 2 year old now, at 44, and is looking forward to raising him as she retires.
Spoiler:
- Sherlock

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

I don't want to wait any longer and I have some family pitching a fit but eh, oh well.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

Anecdote is not data, but two of my SO's friends are over 30 and had babies in the last year; one within 6 months of starting to try. And a really good friend of mine had one of her sons at 29 and one at 33.

My mom's a nurse on the postpartum floor of a hospital, and - I think - the majority of her patients are between 25-35.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:04 pm UTC

Anecdote: My parents with 30 when I was born, and 32 when my sister was born. My mom's parents were in their late 30's (grandma) and early 40's (grandpa) when she was born.

Return to “General”