[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shro
science genius girl

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Shro » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:42 pm UTC

eaglewings51 wrote:
Shro wrote:You can get Danskos at DSW for $80. I got these in Pewter. They're very sparkly. And tall.

Umm, those aren't danskos. That site says that they're a brand called Madden Girl.

I know, I just meant that I went to DSW the other day and got the pair of shoes linked. While I was there, I also saw danskos for $80, which is better than retail.

Yay DSW.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

So, random thing that most people won't appriciate, but I thought some people here would.

I misplaced my Diva Cup after my last period and couldn't find it when I needed it this month. I forgot how horrible periods are! I absolutely loathe the feeling of pads when out and about.

I have since torn the apartment apart and found my Diva Cup, and holy crap this is just soooooo much better.

So I guess random advertisement - if you're looking for something to make periods a bit better, look into a menstrual cup. They may not work for 100% of everyone, but if they work for you, I think you'll find Shark Week is just an occasionally random afterthought when concerned with bodily fluids.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:05 am UTC

the cups are pretty fantastic.

I really really like how you don't have predict your flow for the day ahead of time. It is a huge bummer to spot just enough to ruin your panties, also a huge bummer to waste a jumbo pad on a light day.

For others with diva cups, do you, and in what do you boil it?

I dropped mine in the sink and wanted to sterilize it, but also do not like the idea of using a food container. I realize this is mainly psychological preferences, but I don't think I'm unique in thinking that way.

I sort of replaced it with a moon cup (because it was $8 cheaper on Amazon, the box says not to boil it, and doesn't mentions soap at all, but suggests a vinegar and water rinse, which reminds me, are vaginas full of acid? I washed it with hand soap anyways because human beings are not rational creatures.)

The moon cup seems to have a thicker lip than the diva cup (but I haven't used the diva cup in a few months) and has been slightly more of a hassle getting in and out. I forget if that's been discussed on here.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:00 am UTC

I boil mine - I have a DivaCup - every few months, I just use one of my small pots because I can't really justify buying a pot specifically for the cup, I have no extra storage, and it's not like I'm going to bring my cup pot back to the US when I finish my Peace Corps stint in Ukraine.

I do wash the cup - dish soap and hot water, and give it a go with a scrub brush - before boiling it, and then wash the pot after. Also, I've dropped mine in a toilet (full of pee/uterine chunks but poop-free) before, when I was travelling - staying with a friend - and so didn't want to ask for a pot. I washed it reallllly good - lots of soap, lots of hot hot water - and popped it back in. And then boiled it first chance I got at home. Had no problems, though.

But I'm probably one of the least-squicked-out-by-germs people I know, and I'm not prone to yeast infections or BV.

The only thing I dislike about the cup is that it is damn near impossible to find unscented wet wipes here. I travel a fair bit - lots of overnight trains & 3+ hour bus rides - which means a lot of public and train toilets. Where there's not always running water. So I keep a pack of wet wipes on me, for cup purposes. And the last pack of wet wipes I bought was marked 'child' instead of 'green tea' or 'floral' and I assumed they were unscented.

They were not. They smelled like bubblegum. Which means for 5 days (I was traveling from my place-> 3 hours train -> Chernivsti, Ukr.->overnight bus ->Chisinau, Moldova -> bus -> Tiraspol, Transdnister/Moldova, depending on who you're talking too -> overnight train -> Kyiv, Ukr. -> red eye plane -> Tbilisi, Georgia... my vagina smelled like bubblegum. My boyfriend, who I was travelling with, was really amused.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

I sterilise my mooncup using milton's sterilising fluid (other brands are available). Then rinse it thoroughly with warm water.

Yes, vinegar is full of acid, the thing that makes vinegar sour is acetic acid. Presumably they mean to use spirit or distilled vinegar rather than balsamic :lol: the acidity makes it quite a good anti-bacterial (wikipedia). So long as you rinse it thoroughly after I'm sure it'll be fine.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

I now have two mooncups, after giving my first one up as lost, suffering through a Shark Week without it, and then deciding I was not doing that again (of course after spending quite a lot of time digging through all my stuff looking for it, I found it about a week after buying the new one without even trying). Definitely worth it though; besides, the first one was still very good value given that I've had it for 3 years!

In other news, I bought a really cute dress from Primark today for work! Though my stepdad has informed me I shouldn't waste it at work, it's too nice. :P It's black with white polka dots, and has a thin red waist belt. With a red cardigan and black tights it's really nice for the winter and it is nice to have something different. Plus it will be quite good if I go out for any meals around Christmas, since the red gives a slight Christmassy feel without anything too major. Definitely worth the £10, I think!

I nearly also bought some boots, but decided not to at the last minute because I am not sure about the quality of Primark boots...they were £15, which is just a little bit much for something I'm unsure of. So I am going to have a look around for something similar from somewhere else I think, and then possibly end up just going back and getting them anyway...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

I simply rinse my diva cup during Shark Week, and try to remember to wash it once between periods. I did boil it after I got a yeast infection, figuring that that would be a smart thing to do. I don't worry about sterilizing it normally: underwear, pads, and tampons are not sterilized. I think that clean, not sterile, is almost always quite sufficient.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure tampons are sterile before you open the individual wrapper...

natraj

Postby natraj » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

No, tampons are not sterile. There are no requirements for any menstrual products to be sterilized and tampons are bleached for cosmetic reasons but not generally sterilized while being made, also the kind of paper wrappers many tampons are sold in wouldn't keep them reliably sterile even if they had been sterilized at production.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

I boil mine in a cooking pot after each Shark Week. And I got around the whole irrational not-wanting-to-use-a-food-container by thinking that if boiling water is sterilising my cup, then presumably it's also sterilising the pot, so it's really ending up cleaner in the end anyway.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

For what it's worth, Vaginas are pretty good at killing things. Like sperm! :lol:
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:23 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:For what it's worth, Vaginas are pretty good at killing things.

Must... not... sig
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

I've got a glass pyrex measuring cup that I put a cup of water in, throw in my Diva cup, and then put in the microwave for a few minutes (until it boils for a while). Then I put the pyrex in the dishwasher as I figure that will sterilize that (but really, I'm just being paranoid with that). I do that right before Shark Week and right after. Every other time (I usually empty it in the shower) I just wash it off and shove it back in.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:14 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:which reminds me, are vaginas full of acid?

I've had this image in my head of these buggers (you have to admit, they do kinda look like demon lady parts) attacking sperm and guns and such, but they're also carrying acid guns to kill all the things...and it keeps making me laugh.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Kulantan wrote:

Must... not... sig

mochafairy wrote:I've had this image in my head of these buggers (you have to admit, they do kinda look like demon lady parts) attacking sperm and guns and such, but they're also carrying acid guns to kill all the things...and it keeps making me laugh.

Hehehehe... you two made my day.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:08 am UTC

Cathy wrote:
Kulantan wrote:

Must... not... sig

mochafairy wrote:I've had this image in my head of these buggers (you have to admit, they do kinda look like demon lady parts) attacking sperm and guns and such, but they're also carrying acid guns to kill all the things...and it keeps making me laugh.

Hehehehe... you two made my day.

you all just made my day even better... and it's already been amazing! :lol:
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Aiea

Postby Aiea » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:41 am UTC

Why is it that when I want Shark Week to be 'normal' for me (aka 5-8 weeks apart) it decides to act normal and go at 4 weeks... arghhh. This is the first time since erm 2003? that Shark Week was only 4 weeks. At least my clomid will be here wed and that is day 5 like my dr suggested I start taking it at, assuming the meds won't get here late.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 am UTC

My shark week always manages to come when I go back to England after holidays so I have it when finally being reunited with my bf. Even the time when I'd counted it out and thought I'd be safe (I'd be getting back 2 weeks before it should be starting), the previous one decided to come 2 weeks early, then the next one was normal :P

I think it knows when the worst possible time is.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 am UTC

I have never, since my first period ten years ago, missed a period or had an irregular cycle. My cycles always last approximately 30-33 days... except for this month. It's been about 40 days and the shark is nowhere to be seen. I've taken two pregnancy tests and both have been negative. I'm sure I should see a doctor, but everyone seems to say that the occasional missed period is basically ordinary and nothing to worry about. Humph.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

How easy are the cups to clean?

meridian

Postby meridian » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

ShortChelsea wrote:How easy are the cups to clean?

I find it no more difficult than washing my hands. (Or making pasta when I decide to boil it.)
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 am UTC

meridian wrote:
ShortChelsea wrote:How easy are the cups to clean?

I find it no more difficult than washing my hands. (Or making pasta when I decide to boil it.)

Yup, I find it really easy. The only occasional difficult part is that the diva cup has 4 pinholes that allow the cup to expand (prevents too much suction) when inserted. These occasionally can become clogged, but all you need to do is stretch the holes a little under running water and the stuff comes out.

But, if you're squeemish about period stuff, or not really comfortable with yourself 'down there', the cup may not be for you. You have to come in direct contact with the blood and everything, and you also have to be comfortable inserting your fingers in your vagina. I actually am fine with my cup though, while I WILL not touch my pads or tampons, so even if you find it distasteful, you may be fine with a cup.

Aiea

Postby Aiea » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:34 am UTC

I'm excited, I picked up my Clomid today, yay! Just in time to start it today, whee.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:I have never, since my first period ten years ago, missed a period or had an irregular cycle. My cycles always last approximately 30-33 days... except for this month. It's been about 40 days and the shark is nowhere to be seen. I've taken two pregnancy tests and both have been negative. I'm sure I should see a doctor, but everyone seems to say that the occasional missed period is basically ordinary and nothing to worry about. Humph.

Sometimes stress makes them stretch out or skip altogether. It happened to me incessantly in high school, and a couple of times a year I still get really long cycles. It's probably nothing to worry about. Give it a week, take another test, and if you're still not bleeding and not pregnant just shake your fist at your uterus and give it a good shouting. There's not much else to be done.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:...just shake your fist at your uterus and give it a good shouting.

I should start doing that. :wink:

Anyway, I have survived finals week (got an A in at least one of my classes), and I decided to not mess with my hormones until next June, when I'll be home from Germany (so excited!).

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

So I have been planning on buying myself a nice new coat after Christmas with my Christmas money, but since Asos have a sale on today I decided to have a look...and have bought two. One will be going back, but I can't decide between them and since they have free returns, seemed best just to get both and see what I think instead of spending ages trying to decide!

http://www.asos.com//ASOS/ASOS-Swing-Co ... id=1793977

http://www.asos.com//Warehouse/Warehous ... id=1756066

My mother's opinion is that she really likes the first but thinks the second is more practical, which I am somewhat inclined to agree with. I've had my eye on the first one for a while, though...so will just have to see when they get here I think. Which will be Tuesday, because I got free next day delivery! :)

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

I have a serious outwear obsession (this gets me nowhere in California) and those are both seriously nice. You should always have at least one practical coat but after that it's not a big deal in my mind. You always need something for wishy washy weather, job interviews, dressing up, or in the case of trenches, being a BAMF.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

i actually like the second one better, by a good bit.
ImageImageImageImageImage

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:26 am UTC

As do I.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

I really like both coats, but for some reason, the first one seems to be calling my name.
(Keep in mind I usually wear slacks, a polo shirt, and a lab coat for 80 % of the year, so my fashion sense is kinda lame)

also... acne needs to leave me alone- I'm not a teenager anymore, so you need to stop looking like a pizza, dear face of mine!
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

SHARK WEEK IS HERE FUCK YEAH
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:22 am UTC

My coats arrived, and the black one is hideous and absolutely nothing like it said it would be. I've emailed to find out if it's the page or what they sent me that's wrong before I sort out the return... The other one fits a bit oddly, so I think I might order a size up and see how that is. Going to wait until I get home from work tonight and consult with my mum before I make any definite decisions though.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:SHARK WEEK IS HERE FUCK YEAH

Mine too, a little while ago - oh, the relief!
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

Sometimes I have to resist the urge to greet complete strangers with, "I'm not pregnant, isn't that wonderful?"
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Oh hey, shark week just arrived for me as well. Not pregnant fives all around!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

*Not-pregnant-five*
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:41 am UTC

One for me too - they thought I might have gallstones so sent me in for an ultrasound, and the radiologist still checked to see if I was pregnant, despite me having Shark Week less than a week beforehand :P It was nice to see an empty uterus!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

back to the coats...

Im in the US, by the way. What places have nice coats? I am in need of a winter coat. Warmmmm needed. Mine are raggity, not warm, or the old nylon type coat which doesnt look nice, I can't wear it with a skirt or something. Looking for something more in the style Cassi posted, you know, warm, but look fashionable and nice.

I also REALLLY like deep purples/plum type colour. Do they make coats like that in such a colour? I can't seem to find anything under $150. And uh, I need more like, $40 price range haha.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

namaize

Postby namaize » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

Depends a bit what's in your area, but for $40 I would try thrift stores or discount places like Kohls, Ross, TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc. I got a nice coat at Square One (which I don't think is as common) for like $60 and that was a pretty good deal--my instinct says $60-80 would be pretty easy to find; 40ish might be difficult (but it also depends if you're in a more expensive area). You could also try Burlington Coat Factory or Old Navy?
I've seen wool or wool-esque peacoats in red, teal, and mustard, so presumably they exist in plum. Just harder to find...

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

It won't help if you're looking for one right away, but keep an eye on department stores as it gets closer to the end of the season (and remember that in retail, the end of the season is sooner than the actual end of the season), and you can often find some really good clearance deals. I bought a really nice dark purple pea coat at JCPenney last year for around $40.

Other than that, I echo the above. I've found at least two nice coats at Ross, but I've found the price is sometimes hit or miss on the coats.

Return to “General”