[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby doogly » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:41 am UTC

Oh, well that does count as a kind of keeping them then, eh? I think there can still be opportunities for sorcery.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:56 am UTC

Wow, that's pretty cool. I just read about it and it seems like a pretty good way to be sterilized without all the invasive cutting and whatnot. I do find it somewhat obnoxious that most (except for copper IUD I think) BC is hormonal. *complains*
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:45 am UTC

Cathy wrote:Wow, that's pretty cool. I just read about it and it seems like a pretty good way to be sterilized without all the invasive cutting and whatnot. I do find it somewhat obnoxious that most (except for copper IUD I think) BC is hormonal. *complains*
That is why I chose it. I probably would have gone with a copper IUD, except I hear that they can increase the heaviness of periods and mine are already on the heavy side. Plus IUDs can keep the cervix a little bit more open making infections more likely.

Also, the FDA just decided that a moderate nickle allergy is not a problem. When I went in for my consultation appointment a little under a month ago the doctor printed out the email about it, because it hasn't been updated in any of the literature or websites. The nickle aspect of it had been one of the major drawbacks, so hopefully use becomes more and more widespread.

My body has been going "something weird happened today. I must stock up on food in case emergency!" or something. So I have been eating a lot.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:I can understand that. As I've gone up into upper level classes I've had more and more women in my classes. (It's up to 7 in a 60-person class and 5 in a 30-person class!) It almost seems as if more guys fall out of the degree but the same women stick with it and we just end up in smaller and smaller amounts of overall students.

Anyone else get that women-sticking-with it for STEM fields?

It might just be a bias, but it seems like all the females I remember from freshman year are still in engineering while a fair number of males I remember I can't find anymore.

But this is also the first time I've been the only female in my class - not because of a good ratio, but because my class is smaller than 40 people. (Mechanical engineering is the largest major at my college) I also happen to be the only undergrad. It's a little intimidating.

While I have no proof of this, I think it's that once you get past the initial drop after the first year when people realize engineering (or rather, the classes) just aren't for them, the females that stay are going to stay goddammit! (Females often will have, on average, higher grades in STEM courses) I don't think the males have quite as much stock in staying because they are in the majority.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

A math/science oriented man who isn't sure what major to choose will often be directed towards engineering. It seems to be a typical male undecided major, along with premed and business. The "no women in engineering" stereotype, sadly, means that unsure young women will generally not be directed towards engineering.

So, what you end up with is a lot of men who aren't that interested in engineering, and some filter off to management or other majors. Most of the women starting out in engineering are there because they want to be engineers.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

I've seen it go the other way--I see less females in my upper level engineering classes classes v. my lower level engineering classes. This may be due to me not going into a very popular engineering field overall (electrical power systems! yay!) and the other females going into the more popular ece fields.

The idea doesn't make it any less awkward being the only female in a class, though. :?

Oh! And yay for bluebambue!
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

bluebambue wrote:Also, the FDA just decided that a moderate nickle allergy is not a problem. When I went in for my consultation appointment a little under a month ago the doctor printed out the email about it, because it hasn't been updated in any of the literature or websites. The nickle aspect of it had been one of the major drawbacks, so hopefully use becomes more and more widespread.

Yuck. I have a *really really bad* nickel allergy. Ears/neck/wrists all break out within minutes of trying on nickel jewelry even if I took it off after trying it on. :(
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:
bluebambue wrote:Also, the FDA just decided that a moderate nickle allergy is not a problem. When I went in for my consultation appointment a little under a month ago the doctor printed out the email about it, because it hasn't been updated in any of the literature or websites. The nickle aspect of it had been one of the major drawbacks, so hopefully use becomes more and more widespread.

Yuck. I have a *really really bad* nickel allergy. Ears/neck/wrists all break out within minutes of trying on nickel jewelry even if I took it off after trying it on. :(
really really bad nickle allergies may also not be a problem, but there has not been sufficient testing. The body might think that they really don't like the material so it will cover it with the scar-like tissue even more quickly. That is the theory, but may not be correct.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:57 am UTC

bluebambue wrote:Really really bad nickle allergies may also not be a problem, but there has not been sufficient testing. The body might think that they really don't like the material so it will cover it with the scar-like tissue even more quickly. That is the theory, but may not be correct.

And anyway, I can't really imagine getting hives on my fallopian tubes. Lol.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:19 am UTC

But what a challenge to scratch... :shock:
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Aaaand now I'm trying not to think about hives on my fallopian tubes. Can hives even form there?

I feel much better about my computer science classes today. My other CS course started, and while I'm again the only woman, one of my guy friends is in the class too. It's not so bad to be the only girl, but that and not knowing any of the guys is uncomfortable. Also, I've had this professor before and he's great.
Also, I wore my R2-D2 shirt, because today's class was AI. :D

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:46 am UTC

I always liked to look at the positives of being the only girl in my classes at uni. If I turned up to a room and there were girls in it, I knew I'd got the wrong room :-) (Yes this happened a few times. They always seemed to be moving the rooms around)

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:33 am UTC

I'm the only girl in most of my science classes, I like it really well. Honestly I forget about the whole "Girls vs. Boys" thing and just do my work. However, I teased the 4 guys in my Astronomy class that I would never have to carry around the telescopes. Then our professor told us about a time a staunch feminist berated him for opening the door for her. Good times.
It can be unnerving, but if you just remember we're all people there to learn something, it won't be a big deal.

Plus the odds were nice for finding a boyfriend, that's how I found mine. Yay engineering.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:47 am UTC

I think I was more freaked out by not knowing any of my classmates than by them being all guys. Now that I have a friend in one of the classes, I'm less worried. I'm also one of the few people with tkinter experience, so I'm a jump ahead in the AI class.

Re: boyfriends, I have some smartass relatives who like to tell me that the odds are good, but the goods are odd. :D

On the whole, this is shaping up to be a good semester. Both of my CS courses look like a good mix of challenging and interesting.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:Re: boyfriends, I have some smartass relatives who like to tell me that the odds are good, but the goods are odd. :D

!!!
This is one of my favorite responses when people ask if I'm the only girl in my classes! (Though now that I'm engaged they look at me a little funnier.)

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

I really like the Essure thingy, but I think for me and my lovely I will have him get snipped. I have bee doing the BC thing for like, ever (12 years now) and at some point I want to have nothing in me. I have my IUD now, and I think in return he will be in charge of no breeding next. Kinda like I will live in CT with him near his family for a bit, and in exchange we GTFO of there and I can have my offspring in the civilized world of MA, near my family (which is clearly the better family).
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:Re: boyfriends, I have some smartass relatives who like to tell me that the odds are good, but the goods are odd. :D

People keep telling me that about my school too. :P They're not that odd. Mostly.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

And of course, odd is not a bad thing at least not always.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

I really like the symmetric irony of that. Oh tech schools. Although if the goods is odd in the right way then all the better!

Cathy wrote:This is one of my favorite responses when people ask if I'm the only girl in my classes! (Though now that I'm engaged they look at me a little funnier.)
Hmmm... that's interesting. Perhaps they feel awkward somehow? I just got my ring but I'd like to keep things on the down low for now since not many of my local friends know I'm in a relationship :P. Although more than half of my lab is married anyway, so I probably won't get weird vibes?

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

Oh no no, I mean the people I tell that quote to (odds good, goods odd) think I'm weird for telling them about boy odds when I've already got a boy. Most people in my classes don't even notice it. The only people who have are the back-to-school men who are older. And apparently are more likely to look for a ring on the left hand, or something.

Some classmates do find it a little unfair that I have built-in at-home homework help! :lol:

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:12 am UTC

Oh haha, my boy told me that my lab (90% guys) will prolly take a month to notice if I don't say anything, while my weekly social group (all female grad students) will take like 2 minutes. But married guys are more attentive to these cues now in order to gauge how they should interact with the opposite gender.

Built-in homework help is pretty awesome! In my case we're in different research fields, but we both like to program so we sometimes duo debug haha.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:19 am UTC

Cathy wrote:Oh no no, I mean the people I tell that quote to (odds good, goods odd) think I'm weird for telling them about boy odds when I've already got a boy.

It's even more fun when you tell them that, the they think you're weird, then you tell them you're poly. :D
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
Cathy wrote:Oh no no, I mean the people I tell that quote to (odds good, goods odd) think I'm weird for telling them about boy odds when I've already got a boy.

It's even more fun when you tell them that, the they think you're weird, then you tell them you're poly. :D

I know you posted pictures from Thailand in the post your face thread, and other threads, but I figured this thread would be the best place to say:
Congrats! Welcome! (But you were always welcome here, you know that.)
Much love, and wishing you a speedy recovery and a safe trip back home.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

I've had to visit the bathroom five times since I got up this morning. Which, for the record, was less than four hours ago.

I hate my uterus.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

Re: Being the only woman in a (IT/networking/security/etc) class: it's happened to me a few times. Never really bothered me, as by then I knew everyone. There were about four or five women in the networking programs altogether (small programs though). Oddly enough, there were a couple of times when the four of us made up the entire class for that term...

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:22 am UTC

*waves hi* sorry been so busy and not around. I'll have to catch up on the thread but I just wanted to give a little squeeeeeeeee update.

So it's been a bit more than a year since this capoeira talk...
suffer-cait wrote:OH!!!!! POD!!!!! I FOGOT!!!!! CAPOEIRA!!!!
it's african fighting mixed with brazillian dance moves to create a dance-like fighting style.
this way maybe you get best of both worlds? dance and MA?
i always thought it was cool cause slaves invented it so they could practice fighting but their owners would just brush it off as some sort of traditional dance.

Well...we just had our annual batizado ("baptism", when new people get their first cords) and troca de corado ("changing of cords", people with cords get next cord) 2 weekends ago. I got my first cord, and it was an awesome time. The workshops themselves were amazing (we had THREE visiting people from Israel, and Mestre Esquilo came which is a huge awesome thing) and on top of it, I somehow ended up going very first, see to get your next cord you play one of the instructors/professors/mestres...and I got to play Mestre Esquilo :D

Then this weekend was the batizado for a kind of "sister group" in New York I went to. It was a lot of fun to see old friends and meet new ones. And...I got my capoeira nickname. It's tradition to get a nickname, usually it happens sometime around the time of getting your first cord but I wasn't expecting one at all. It is Cuelha, which means "rabbit". :D I <3 it. And funny enough, most the capi peeps do not know I raise rabbits, just not something that comes up. A few know, but not many. And my understanding of the backstory there is no connection to that at all. So I guess I'm just an energetic hoppy bouncy soft fluffy person haha!

Spoiler:
GreenCordSmall.jpg
Green Cord!
GreenCordSmall.jpg (87.18 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 am UTC

existentialpanda wrote:I've had to visit the bathroom five times since I got up this morning. Which, for the record, was less than four hours ago.

Irony is, I can now truthfully say "I feel your pain."
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:38 am UTC

Mooncup

Seriously. I would be in that situation every month or so if not for that wonderful invention (even then, post- IUD on my heaviest days I'm looking at every 2 hours as a minimum, but I dread think what that would translate to with regular sanitary items)

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:15 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Mooncup

Seriously. I would be in that situation every month or so if not for that wonderful invention (even then, post- IUD on my heaviest days I'm looking at every 2 hours as a minimum, but I dread think what that would translate to with regular sanitary items)

YES! At a year+ after my IUD was put in, I'm down to about every 4-5 hours on my heavy days, and luckily only once at night but a year ago, it was every 2-3 hours. And there were times before I ordered to DivaCup when I was leaking through heavy/jumbo tampons in <1 hour, not necessarily because I was bleeding super-heavily but because I was bleeding in uterine chunks. Which tampons and pads fail at.

It's seriously the best $70 I ever spent on myself. $70 because I also ordered a set of cloth pads, and had to pay for international (to Eastern Europe) shipping.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:14 am UTC

So I've got a grading on Saturday (heavy physical activity). My shark-week was supposed to arrive this week, it has not shown up yet. According to Murphy's Law it will show up on Saturday morning. The beginning of Shark Week for me is concentrated hell where I'm likely to pass out, be in a lot of pain and compete with the niagra falls for fluids escaping. I can't take anything with hormones cause they trigger mental problems, I can't get a doctor's appointment until next week. Is there any way at all to persuade shark week to wait a day or two outside stuff that require those two alternatives to be available?
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

I have lost my mooncup. :( I just went this Shark Week without it, because I was determined to find it, but it's not looking good so I may need to buy a new one before the next Shark Week...of course, at which point, I will find the old one. Though I did realise the other day that I've had it for nearly 3 years now, so I suppose it's been a good investment even if I do need to replace it now...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

Ah, I did some thinking and remembered some old tricks to trigger shark week earlier than normal, and lo behold, it works! That should make it wear itself out a bit by Saturday. Hopefully.

they/them/theirs

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 am UTC

Dear Emergency Room...

we met again yesterday morning, and I was NOT happy to see you so soon.
You really know how to put a damper on my fun plans, and how to screw up my academic track.
I hate your guts, your cranky doctors, and the morphine-induced migraine that you gave me!

Fuck You and all your alpacas,
a very angry e_squirrrel
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:23 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Ah, I did some thinking and remembered some old tricks to trigger shark week earlier than normal, and lo behold, it works! That should make it wear itself out a bit by Saturday. Hopefully.

That's interesting. What are the tricks?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

meridian

Postby meridian » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:36 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:Ah, I did some thinking and remembered some old tricks to trigger shark week earlier than normal, and lo behold, it works! That should make it wear itself out a bit by Saturday. Hopefully.

Yes, please. Share. I'm overdue and cranky about it.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

AnnaArmour

Postby AnnaArmour » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:09 am UTC

Soy milk, maybe? It contains a form of estrogen, and it seems to affect my cycle, but it could be my imagination.

Silk wrote: Soy does not contain the hormone estrogen. It does, however, contain isoflavones, also known as phytoestrogens or "plant estrogens." While the chemical structure of isoflavones is similar to estrogen, the two function very differently in the body. Isoflavones have been studied for a number of beneficial effects including a potential role in supporting heart and bone health, minimizing menopausal symptoms and reducing the risk of some forms of cancer.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:22 am UTC

meridian wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:

Me too with wanting to know. Mine always seems to find the most inconvenient time possible to appear.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 am UTC

Angua wrote:
meridian wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:

Me too with wanting to know. Mine always seems to find the most inconvenient time possible to appear.
Well, it's based on an old wife's tale, and I don't know any of the science behind it so the effect is quite likely an placebo one. But what I was thought was physical activity (biking, horseback riding or masturbation are the forms of physical activity I've been told are the most useful in this case), drink horsetail tea (or at least that's what I think is the English word for it), eat parsley soup and massage the lower parts of my stomach.

It usually works for me, as long as it's less than a week or so until shark week is supposed to occur. But then again I don't know any of the reasons why it should work, so confirmation bias + placebo effect is quite likely in play.

they/them/theirs

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 am UTC

According to a quick google, horestail tea should be avoided by pregnant women (and has some other properties like being anticonvulsant) so there could be something there other than placebo.

Thanks for the tips.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:10 am UTC

AAAGH CREEPY-OVERFRIENDLY-NO-PERSONAL-SPACE-ALLOWING BUS PERSON DAY AAAGH

'K, I'm better now. I think I'm going to have to get my jacket cleaned to get his smell off of it, though. A dousing of scented hairspray at work just didn't seem to cut it.

>.<
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Return to “General”