[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cathy

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Cathy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Thank you all! There's something amazing about wedding prep, it's so crazy and I swear 1/2 the wedding premium is for everyone to be hugely nice to you. It's somewhat scary how much there is to planning a wedding... :shock: But at least I know I have the dress!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:Since the topic of clothes has been brought up...I know this has been discussed before, but how do you all wash your bras? I normally buy cheap bras so am happy to just chuck them in the wash and see what happens, but I bought some nicer ones when I was in the States and want to take better care of them, but the whole hand washing thing is not really something I've ever done...what's the easiest way to do it?

I've also gone up a cup size, so currently only have 4 bras in my new size compared to I don't even know how many in the old. Also, if aerie is any indication, it's not going to be quite so easy to find bras anymore; 34C was nicely on the racks (and has always been easy to find, hence all the cheap bras), but 34D I had to go digging through the drawers.
Aerie is not an indication! It's a store marketed mostly to teens, so they emphasize smaller sizes than are emphasized elsewhere. They don't even make half their bras in higher than a C cup.

I sometimes hand-wash my bras in the sink with just a splash of laundry detergent, but the ones I have are all pretty heavy-duty (Gap Body Favorite brand) and take a while to dry while hanging. Other times I use one of those laundry bags.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

Late on things!
My last menstrual cycle was 94 days. As in pretty freaking late. Screw you stress. I keep pregnancy tests (cause they have the multipacks) at my lovers house. I am late often enough I need to replace them. I know I have an IUD. I also know things can go wrong, and my uterus has beat 2 types of birth control before. I like being careful.

Bras: I have the same ones from high school (graduates in 2001), but many are in crap shape. Like, they no longer have underwires or I had to sew the clasp back on. Also, I wear mostly sports bras (and am a 34~6 B or something). /no helpful
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:17 am UTC

Sitting in the car, on the train, about to head to france for 10 days. Data roaming too expensive. This is jumble, signing off...

[edit] sorry, wrong thread!
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

<3
Spoiler:
Reproductive rights and the art of extended metaphor wrote:A recent conversation:

ME. Okay. Try this: Say we’re dating.

HIM. How does The Boy feel about it?

ME. It’s a metaphor. Roll with it. So we’re dating, we’re living together, and you bring home a dog, and I’m pissed.

HIM. You like dogs.

ME. I like big dogs. This is a little terrier kind of dog, and he’s twitchy and yappy and clingy, and he chews on stuff, and he keeps peeing.

HIM. Is this about Skip?

ME. No, this isn’t about Skip. This is a metaphor. He’s a metaphorical dog. His name is Vehicle. So we break up, and you move out.

HIM. Why do we break up?

ME. Probably because you interrupt me all the time. You move into an apartment that doesn’t allow pets, so I’m stuck with Vehicle.

HIM. Why do–

ME. [glare]

HIM. Sorry.

ME. He’s chewing stuff up, he’s peeing everywhere, I can’t have friends over because the house is in such terrible shape, I have to be home with him all the time to keep an eye on him–it sucks. And I decide to take him to the Humane Society.

HIM. Why would you do that? I want him.

ME. I’m sure you do, but your apartment doesn’t take pets. And he can’t stay in mine.

HIM. Well, he’s half my dog.

ME. He sure is. But I don’t want him in my house. Can you keep him somewhere that isn’t my house?

HIM. And my apartment doesn’t take dogs?

ME. No.

HIM. Well, no, then, but I can still help take care of him.

ME. What, can you watch him for me 24 hours a day?

HIM. I can give you money.

ME. Money isn’t going to un-chew my baseboards. It’s not going to replace my grandmother’s sofa that he ruined. If this were just about money, it would be an entirely different story. This is about permanent changes to my life.

HIM. You don’t just get to give him away. I have half rights to that dog.

ME. But you don’t have any rights to my house. I’m the boss of my house. You don’t get to just keep your stuff there, tearing my stuff up, making irreversible changes to my house and my lifestyle, just because you don’t have anywhere else to keep it. You don’t have the right to tell me what to do with my house, whether your dog is staying there or not.

HIM. But it’s my dog.

ME. But it’s my uterus.

HIM. …

ME. …

HIM. So… the Bulldogs, yeah?

ME. Pretty strong recruiting class this season.

HIM. Yeah. Pretty strong.

Fin.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

So, shark week FINALLY came today, for reals. After a couple days of sludgy spotting that didn't really mean much to me. It came in a pretty horrifyingly painful way. Normally I have cramps, they make me uncomfortable, I bitch and moan a bit, and then take some Advil and they go away. Today they were so bad that I was crying a little bit and seriously thought I was going to barf. And they were not confined to the uterus, they were going through my hips, down my thighs, up my back, and in my buttcheeks. It was awful. I had to use a pad, even though I hate them and usually use tampons, because my whole midsection was so tight and painful that the idea of trying to put a tampon up there was frightening. I stayed home form work, even though I have no sick leave yet, and I really need the money. I am pretty disgusted. I took like 4 Advil, and slept for a few hours, and now I'm ok.

Really, really hoping that 46 day cycles followed by terrible pain are not the new "normal."
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

*hugs Sarah*
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

*big big hug* I had exactly that for a little while last year but it's stopped now and gone to moany bitchy advil cramps. Good luck :(
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 am UTC

*hgs* for Sarah. Hope you feel better soon and that it doesn't do the same thing next time.

Also, quite late but Cathy I really enjoy the neckline of your dress. And it looks marvelous on you!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:<3
Spoiler:
Reproductive rights and the art of extended metaphor wrote:A recent conversation:

ME. Okay. Try this: Say we’re dating.

HIM. How does The Boy feel about it?

ME. It’s a metaphor. Roll with it. So we’re dating, we’re living together, and you bring home a dog, and I’m pissed.

HIM. You like dogs.

ME. I like big dogs. This is a little terrier kind of dog, and he’s twitchy and yappy and clingy, and he chews on stuff, and he keeps peeing.

HIM. Is this about Skip?

ME. No, this isn’t about Skip. This is a metaphor. He’s a metaphorical dog. His name is Vehicle. So we break up, and you move out.

HIM. Why do we break up?

ME. Probably because you interrupt me all the time. You move into an apartment that doesn’t allow pets, so I’m stuck with Vehicle.

HIM. Why do–

ME. [glare]

HIM. Sorry.

ME. He’s chewing stuff up, he’s peeing everywhere, I can’t have friends over because the house is in such terrible shape, I have to be home with him all the time to keep an eye on him–it sucks. And I decide to take him to the Humane Society.

HIM. Why would you do that? I want him.

ME. I’m sure you do, but your apartment doesn’t take pets. And he can’t stay in mine.

HIM. Well, he’s half my dog.

ME. He sure is. But I don’t want him in my house. Can you keep him somewhere that isn’t my house?

HIM. And my apartment doesn’t take dogs?

ME. No.

HIM. Well, no, then, but I can still help take care of him.

ME. What, can you watch him for me 24 hours a day?

HIM. I can give you money.

ME. Money isn’t going to un-chew my baseboards. It’s not going to replace my grandmother’s sofa that he ruined. If this were just about money, it would be an entirely different story. This is about permanent changes to my life.

HIM. You don’t just get to give him away. I have half rights to that dog.

ME. But you don’t have any rights to my house. I’m the boss of my house. You don’t get to just keep your stuff there, tearing my stuff up, making irreversible changes to my house and my lifestyle, just because you don’t have anywhere else to keep it. You don’t have the right to tell me what to do with my house, whether your dog is staying there or not.

HIM. But it’s my dog.

ME. But it’s my uterus.

HIM. …

ME. …

HIM. So… the Bulldogs, yeah?

ME. Pretty strong recruiting class this season.

HIM. Yeah. Pretty strong.

Fin.
<3
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

So, I have relatively curvy bridesmaids. One is very pear-shaped, small on the top and middle with nice big hips and booty. Another is more apple-shaped, and is big on top and in the middle and on the bottom. The last is small top, and average on the middle and bottom. Somewhere between sizes 8 and 14. I'm trying to think of a dress cut that looks good on all of them, and that I can find without breaking the bank.

Basically: blue, tea length (below knees, above ground), and cute on pretty much any body shape. Women thread, help? Not necessarily pictures, but good ideas and suggestions are always welcome!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

One idea is to choose the basics -- as you've done -- then have a dressmaker customise a dress for each bridesmaid. As long as the fabric, hemlines, and overall style is the same, each woman can have a somewhat different neck, waist, or sleeve shape.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

You could just let them get dresses that fit them best, and then pick the color/fabric of the dresses, as poxic said. They'll look complimentary, feel comfortable, and it does look nice. :)
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:05 pm UTC

you want a dress that is somewhat fitted on top and then flares out at the waist/hip, i think, if you want to have all the same dress. and flares out with the assistance of something like crinoline (sp?/wd?) not just drapes down in a way that will fit any booty.
ImageImageImageImageImage

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:30 am UTC

I'd say pick out a fabric and and hemline, and then let them pick out the shape that fits them best.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:48 am UTC

That sounds brilliant -- especially if I can find a low cost base dress (like, under 75 dollars) and just pay for them all to be altered to fit each girl, and then they'll essentially come out to the average bridesmaid dress cost and fit a LOT better! Plus I like the idea of varying bridesmaid dresses-- less boring and much prettier. Hey, maybe they could even use them again. Too much to hope for? :P

Thanks everyone, those are fantastic ideas. Off to find a tailor!

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:45 am UTC

Both J. Crew and Target make bridesmaid dresses, where the colours/fabrics are the same across multiple styles. I had a friend who choose a colour & fabric from J. Crew and then let the bridesmaids pick out whatever dress they liked best. Everyone looked awesome, but J. Crew is might be out of your/your bridesmaids' price range.

Target does make nice dresses, and are much closer to the $30-$75 range. And probably come in a larger range of sizes than the J. Crew ones do.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

On bras: Mine get clasped and washed on delicate, then hung up to dry. Even my cheap ones last forever that way.

On PMS food: I find that I gravitate more to nice salty corn chips with cheese melted all over the top. More commonly, I make what's known in my house as a PMS Special: a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich. It's like a Reese's cup except wrapped in bread. The ratio of Nutella to peanut butter varies depending on my mood.

On other things: I passed my belt test (for krav)! I was a month late taking it because I had Surprise! toe surgery to remove an alien a cyst peeking out, but I got to do it this month. It was hard, but I made it.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:25 am UTC

Cathy, I had my bridesmaids pick out a dress from this collection http://butterick.mccall.com/b5322-produ ... age_id=152, whichever one they wanted. They ended up all choosing a different dress, which was kind of nice. Then I gave them a handful of swatches of the same fabric, in at least a dozen different colors (all autumn colors that worked well together, so they wouldn't clash), and told them to pick whichever color they wanted. Again, they all picked different colors, so that was nice.

If you look on offbeatbride.com, you can see what ends up happening when brides say something like "Find whatever dress you love, just make it pink."
http://offbeatbride.com/2008/09/non-mat ... id-dresses
My sister was just in a wedding as a bridesmaid where all of the bridesmaids wore little black dresses of their choice. I think if I were to get married again, I might do the "whatever dress you want, just make it x-color" thing, I think it looks awesome.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:12 am UTC

on Shark Week now, and while i don't think this is how i am regularly, i want all the sweet things!

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:20 am UTC

allllllllllll of them? :D
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:24 am UTC

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall of them. my nose is smelling chocolate frosting for no reason!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

This weekend I was a bridesmaid! It was actually pretty fun, because my friends (both bride and groom) are super laid back. I'll post photos when I can! I wore a dark red dress, and got a makeup artist to do my makeup. *feels totally girly* Also, I love how all the bridesmaids were queer to some extent :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:On PMS food: I find that I gravitate more to nice salty corn chips with cheese melted all over the top. More commonly, I make what's known in my house as a PMS Special: a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich. It's like a Reese's cup except wrapped in bread. The ratio of Nutella to peanut butter varies depending on my mood.

Must. Try. Now.

Shark Week did arrive eventually. I seem to be craving salt and fat.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:10 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Cathy, I had my bridesmaids pick out a dress from this collection http://butterick.mccall.com/b5322-produ ... age_id=152, whichever one they wanted. They ended up all choosing a different dress, which was kind of nice. Then I gave them a handful of swatches of the same fabric, in at least a dozen different colors (all autumn colors that worked well together, so they wouldn't clash), and told them to pick whichever color they wanted. Again, they all picked different colors, so that was nice.

How did you get the dresses made once their patterns & colours were picked out? Did you do the sewing yourself, or have someone else sew them up?

@Kithplana, the PMS special sounds amazing. Seriously. Next time I have both an open jar of Nutella and an open jar of Peanut Butter, I know what I'm making first.

Also, this was the first period using the DivaCup where I didn't leak all over the damn place at night. Turns out, I really, really need to make sure my IUD strings are tucked up otherwise: disaster and unanticipated laundry loads.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

My grandmother made the dresses/the dressmaker who made my dress helped finish them up (on the day of the wedding, I might add. I don't recommend that timeline.). Finished product:
http://cindydiaz.zenfolio.com/p36172034 ... b#h925537b

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:My grandmother made the dresses/the dressmaker who made my dress helped finish them up (on the day of the wedding, I might add. I don't recommend that timeline.). Finished product:

Very pretty! (You and the dresses).

I had a friend that went to a fall-colors themed wedding this year. However, the one she went to was on a cruise in the Caribbean during hurricane season, so that one wasn't quite as setting-appropriate.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:My grandmother made the dresses/the dressmaker who made my dress helped finish them up (on the day of the wedding, I might add. I don't recommend that timeline.). Finished product:

Those really are lovely. (I kind of covet the one on the right...)
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Wow. Those dresses (and all of you!) are gorgeous, and I love how everyone coordinates beautifully. Your grandmother did an amazing job!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

My last period was 12 days late. This one is five days early. I guess it's balancing out? I'm really glad it's Shark Week just being early, because my boobs were really sore and time wise, it didn't make sense. Now I at least know why.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Is it just me, or does body odor change during Shark Week? All of a sudden, my deodorant seems to be having trouble keeping up. I stink, I really do.

Out of the blue question: what do you do about leg hairs that insist on growing back under the top layer of skin?
They're not ingrown, infected, or irritated. The hair lies underneath a thin layer of dead skin cells, and I don't feel anything when I pick it out with a straight pin. It's worst on the backs of my thighs, but not limited to there. I've tried scrubbing vigorously in the shower, but that doesn't seem to help. Stupid leg hair.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

you exfoliate really well, really often and eventually they'll come out. this happens when the end of the stalk falls bellow that layer of skin, so if you're doing something to make your shave last longer, that might be causing it.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:25 am UTC

I get that if I shave too soon -- aka less than four days after the last time. I've just learned to exfoliate really really well before shaving and two days after, and put lotion on every night in weeks I want to shave/have shaved.

My fiance actually has that allll over his upper arms and legs -- about 50-70% of the hairs never make it out of the skin unless you specifically, one by one, pick them out with a pin. It's something to do with small pores and the hairs being unable to break through. The ones on my legs hardly ever get infected, and neither to my guys', but ingrown hairs are why I can't use any hair removing products or waxing, and cannot ever ever ever remove hair down there.

It's really obnoxious, but when I told a dermatologist about it, he said "That's life" and that lazer hair removal is really the only 100% (and it's really more like 80%) remedy for that. Thanks, but I don't have 800 bucks for every section of my body I want to keep hair off of.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Yeah, I figured it was simply an annoying problem. I'll keep scrubbing away in the shower.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

I completely eliminated ingrown hairs by switching to a straight razor (as of two weeks ago.) Suitability for your needs may vary wildly, but there it is.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

Classes started today at my college, and I am literally the only woman in a CS class of at least 25. Kind of freaky.
I don't anticipate any problems, seeing as I've never had a hint of trouble with any of my classmates, and I can talk to the CS professors if I need help. But still, this is the first time I've been the only woman in the room. It's a little unnerving.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 am UTC

I can understand that. As I've gone up into upper level classes I've had more and more women in my classes. (It's up to 7 in a 60-person class and 5 in a 30-person class!) It almost seems as if more guys fall out of the degree but the same women stick with it and we just end up in smaller and smaller amounts of overall students.

Anyone else get that women-sticking-with it for STEM fields?

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:09 am UTC

I'm quite happy right now.

I just had my Essure procedure today. It went text-book perfect. It was done in the doctors office. I was somewhat out of it during the procedure due to drugs, but still aware of what was going on. There was mild discomfort the entire time (about the level I have during a normal gynecological exam) and about 10 moments where there was some mild pain. I got to see my fallopian tubes, which is rather cool.

I came home, ate some food, went into a drug induced sleep for 3 hours, and ate more food. I am feeling a bit crampy, and have been taking ibuprofen. I also have some vaginal bleeding, which is expected. But other than that I'm feeling pretty normal.

:D

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:12 am UTC

Did you get to keep them, or just see them? I think they can be used for sorcery if you are so inclined.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:19 am UTC

Just see. They're still in me, they just have some metal spirals in them now (scar tissue forms around them to block the tubes). I saw them on a monitor screen for the mini-camera they stuck in me.

Return to “General”