[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AnnaArmour

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby AnnaArmour » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:23 am UTC

Chandani wrote:Totally off topic, but does anyone know about the age limit blocking Google+? And if they do, how can I get around it? In fact, I'm not even sure how they know I'm underage... :?

I'm underage as well, and I had to sign up with an email account that had me listed as eighteen. So, just make a ghost account on gmail and adjust your birthdate accordingly. Google is omniscient. :shock:

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:52 am UTC

dr_vektor wrote:My school doesn't care about women being underrepresented in engineering.

Email from the director of "Diversity in Engineering"
Spoiler:
"Unlike [School A], [School B] is not authorized to do programming that is restricted to women only with any of its funds.
All of our programs are diversity focused.
Diversity models can be race or gender based; race or gender nuetral or race or gender conscious. [School B] follows the latter model and it cannot legally use model # 1 and model # 2 is simply not effective.
The one exception to this rule is when all the funds come from an external sources.
(Insert statistics on School B) so our gender challenge at the undergraduate level is an identification and attraction one.
Why are we doing a women only program? What is our vision and goal?"

Well, FUCK YOU TOO.

Wow, that sucks.

I recently depressed myself by looking at the breakdown of staff at the university where I work. The split is something like 65% of our administrative staff are female, but only around 30% of our teaching staff are female. In the top two salary brackets, less than 10% are female (in the very top salary bracket, there are no women).

The intake stats are less depressing, but the employment stats make me despair a little.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

dr_vektor wrote:My school doesn't care about women being underrepresented in engineering.

Email from the director of "Diversity in Engineering"
Spoiler:
"Unlike [School A], [School B] is not authorized to do programming that is restricted to women only with any of its funds.
All of our programs are diversity focused.
Diversity models can be race or gender based; race or gender nuetral or race or gender conscious. [School B] follows the latter model and it cannot legally use model # 1 and model # 2 is simply not effective.
The one exception to this rule is when all the funds come from an external sources.
(Insert statistics on School B) so our gender challenge at the undergraduate level is an identification and attraction one.
Why are we doing a women only program? What is our vision and goal?"

Well, FUCK YOU TOO.

You know, I've always felt a bit weird about 'women in engineering' things though. Perhaps mainly because I attended many while in high school and, without fail, they sucked. Instead of getting to do actual engineering, they dumbed everything down so much that it was a joke and it pretty much made me feel like no one actually expected women to be good in engineering (which is ridiculous as nearly every female engineering student I know has higher grades than average) - they just wanted the ratios to be better. Seriously - one of them even had a self-defense course and used the words "girl power" so much I wanted to hurl.

It sounds like you hit a wall with that particular program - but it doesn't mean you can't get women into engineering. You just need to market it to attract more women than men. It can still be co-ed and friendly to women. Try to get the majority of people running the program to be female and that will already help. Perhaps center the program around things found to be of more interest with females already - such as environmental and biomedical engineering.

But (and I'm not saying you would do this) for the love of god, never, ever use the phrase "girl power"! :wink:

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

Awww, why not? It reminds me of the Spice Girls. They should come back with a new addition, some chipper young Engineer Spice for the reunion tour.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

I've seen awesome"get women involved in STEM fields" programs, and I've seen terrible ones.

At my uni, there are many women emphasis/women only engineering programs. We have a women in engineering seminar, where we have women who graduated from the uni come and talk to current students about whatever they damn please...talks ranged from "I was pregnant during senior design...talk about awkward during the 80's!" to "Oh me yarm! I has the most awesomest job ever! Look at all the nerdy things I do!". We have a women Mentor/Mentee program, where they try and pair a senior/junior with sophomores/juniors. They have free food, and they have talks about what is considered business casual v. business formal, talks on harassment in the workplace, recognizing subtle discrimination, etc. There are also STEM field women study groups (men are allowed, they just generally don't show up) where they work on homework, study for tests, eat cookies, and sometimes just socialize.

I think the worst "girl power" group I was in was in high school...they assumed that we couldn't understand anything technical, even though we were in all the AP classes. It was all about pink! and glitter! and omgponies! ...and making me want to puke. Don't get me wrong, glittery pink ponies could be totally badass, but when that's the only emphasis... :evil:

also
Spoiler:
things to avoid mixing again in the future:
food poisoning
terrible food choices that make food poisoning worse
shark week

LFMF
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

doogly wrote:Awww, why not? It reminds me of the Spice Girls. They should come back with a new addition, some chipper young Engineer Spice for the reunion tour.
smarty spice
ImageImageImageImageImage

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:35 am UTC

late replying, but about POAS pregnancy tests - one can actually buy reputable-quality ones from medical supply houses in bulk for very cheap. Usually works out to about $1.50 each one, if you buy 100 at a time. obviously no one wants 100 POASs for personal use, but if you get a bunch of women together who want to go in on a "co-op" then you can probably get a handful of tests each (enough to stave off paranoia for a whole year) for about the cost of a single test, even with shipping factored in.
#CoolTipsMidwivesKnow

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:15 am UTC

the problem with tests in bulk is that they expire. that's why i can't ever even buy the 3 packs, though going in makes sense now.

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:45 am UTC

they do expire, but usually you have 2 years or something. and like I said, if you get a whole crew of women who want them, you can get a handful for about what you'd pay for a single one in a drugstore.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 am UTC

i sware whenever i checked it said it expired in the next month or two. maybe i wasn't looking at the year?

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Offtopic, but I'm feeling a little peeved.

I went shopping over the weekend. One of the things I was looking for was microfiber underwear. I found them, but they literally do not make them in size small. It wasn't just that the stores didn't stock size 5/S; I went on the Hanes site and looked up the styles. WTF, Hanes? All of the cotton underpants come in the full range of sizes, but not microfiber. All I want is some underwear that skirts won't stick to so I don't have to wear a short slip, but nooooo.
Also, I tried on a pair of skinny pants over the weekend, and they fit completely wrong. Baggy at ankles, knees, and crotch, painfully tight across my shins, and most annoying, the waist didn't taper in at all. I know I'm generously proportioned in the hips/backside, but a waistband that stands straight up from the back pockets is ridiculous. It seems like every pair of skinny pants I've ever tried fit like that. I have one pair of skinny jeans that I put awkward lumpy darts in the back of the waistband, and they now fit well enough with a long shirt. I guess I'm just not a skinny pants person.

On the plus side, I found a great pair of tennis shoes that came in wide. And two sports bras that were sized by band and cup, not S/M/L. And I bought a pair of flared jeans that fit me very well around the waist and butt. Not a subtle bootcut, but hippie bellbottom style. Apparently flared leg is back in style. This bodes well for me. :D
Last edited by Isotope_238 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

Since the topic of clothes has been brought up...I know this has been discussed before, but how do you all wash your bras? I normally buy cheap bras so am happy to just chuck them in the wash and see what happens, but I bought some nicer ones when I was in the States and want to take better care of them, but the whole hand washing thing is not really something I've ever done...what's the easiest way to do it?

I've also gone up a cup size, so currently only have 4 bras in my new size compared to I don't even know how many in the old. Also, if aerie is any indication, it's not going to be quite so easy to find bras anymore; 34C was nicely on the racks (and has always been easy to find, hence all the cheap bras), but 34D I had to go digging through the drawers.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

I just wash my bras (cold setting) in the washing machine, but hang them to dry. My bras hold up pretty well for the most part.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

@Cassie, I have the opposite problem :D I went down a cup size and now it's so easy to get bras! Crazy world, sometimes.

Personally, I do the same as Sarah has suggested, but I have noticed that this is still pretty hard on underwired bras. I've never had any issues with soft cups, but yeah, my washing machine sometimes chews up underwiring nicely, in a way that you don't notice until you're partway through your 11am meeting wondering why you're having pains in your chest...

I seem to remember some kind of special wash bag being advertised for bras, but I've no idea how effective it is. Anyone have experiences using something like that who could vouch for it?

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

I wash my big expensive pretty underwired bras by hand - either in the sink or when I shower, then hang them to dry. I knew someone who used one of those bags and they worked well for her, but I have no idea which sort/brand she had. I've also heard of people washing them in a pillowcase, but no idea on the effectiveness of that.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:30 pm UTC

Try putting fragile bras (and other wreckables) in a pillowcase before chucking it in the delicate/cold cycle. If you happen to have some zip-up pillowcases, great. Otherwise, fold the top over a few times and secure with a few safety pins.

I don't bother doing this for my $10 sport bras but will sometimes bother for the more pricey underwires. Also, for cheap summer skirts with sparkly decorations, or knit tops that shouldn't end up stretched around all the other laundry in the washer. It works reasonably well.

Edit to add, for multiple ninjas: purpose-made laundry bags might work a bit better than ordinary pillowcases because they let water and soap through more easily, but I've never really noticed a difference.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
- Anais Nin, writer (21 Feb 1903-1977)

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

I use laundry bags for my bras, wash on cold, and hang dry. It has worked well for me.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

I don't have any laundry facilities, I go to the laundromat. While it's a good laundromat, there's no way I can wash something and then not dry it, because I'm not hauling wet clothes back home to hang.

If it comes to handwashing things, what chemicals do you use? Regular clothing detergent?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:Since the topic of clothes has been brought up...I know this has been discussed before, but how do you all wash your bras? I normally buy cheap bras so am happy to just chuck them in the wash and see what happens, but I bought some nicer ones when I was in the States and want to take better care of them, but the whole hand washing thing is not really something I've ever done...what's the easiest way to do it?

I use Soak, which I actually initially tried on recommendation from someone else in this very thread (don't remember who edit: found it! was Rinsaikeru), and stuck with it because it was simple and worked, and there's zero chance of it damaging anything since there's no tumbling involved.
Last edited by Aaeriele on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

I always use a powder detergent that is specifically made for handwashing, so that it's a little more gentle on the skin. It can be... unpleasant otherwise, but it depends how sensitive you are to soap.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

Soak was pretty expensive, if I recall correctly, though.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

My wife uses Woolite. She hand-washes some things in the sink with it or just uses the gentle cycle on the washing machine.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Would it be possible for me to just use a drizzle of Tide detergent in the sink?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

That should work fine.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
- Anais Nin, writer (21 Feb 1903-1977)

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Laundry bags seem like a good solution for me then, because I would clearly never actually stick with the whole hand washing thing, even if I intended to. Thank you for being helpful as always everyone! :)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

You can totally just drizzle laundry soap in the sink. I've done it. You also can wash bras at the laundromat without drying them. Just hang them up on one of those cart things while you toss everything else in the dryer, then chill and read a book/fiddle around on your computer while your clothes dry. The bras are usually small/thin enough fabric, and often not cotton, so they dry pretty quickly. Of course, this necessitates having just your bras hanging there like a flag, which is potentially awkward. I did it, and nobody ever even looked at me funny, though.

Speaking of awkward in public, I was just at the car wash, and while the car was employees were drying and vacuuming my car, I was repeatedly approached by an older guy who was waiting for his car as well. He was making slightly uncomfortable smalltalk and being borderline creepy, and I was getting more and more ill-at-ease, when he asked what the blue ribbon on the back of my car meant. I looked him square in the eye and said "It's the ribbon for the campaign to end sexual violence." He looked very uncomfortable and said "Oh." Then walked away.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

I kind of want to high-five you. Is that okay?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I kind of want to high-five you. Is that okay?

^

---

Also, yeah, Soak is a little bit expensive ($16 for a bottle?), but I only use it for bras, so a single bottle lasts me a long time.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:I kind of want to high-five you. Is that okay?

^

^

I have a couple of handwash only items and for those as well as bras I just use a splash of whatever detergent is around. If I had a clothesline and more space I'd probably handwash all my clothes.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:25 am UTC

bluebambue wrote:I use laundry bags for my bras, wash on cold, and hang dry. It has worked well for me.
I do this too - having one of those zippable laundry bags is genuinely worthwhile if only for occasions where you want to wash fragile pantihose/tights/stockings.

My bras are usually made of fabric with a little padding on the cups (thick and sturdy enough to avoid visible nippleage), so I can see why those might not dry at the laundromat in time.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:44 am UTC

I also have bras with about 1.5 mm of firmer padding -- I feel like it keeps the girls in place better, and as I'm ALWAYS cold at school and work it avoids any pokies that I don't want to show. I really can't handle totally sheer fabrics and laces. The lace always itches and the fabrics... I just feel so uncovered! It's not like I wear push ups or anything, I just feel I really need some lining there to protect me from the Outside World. :P

Also I went to a used wedding dress place today and found The Dress. One of my friends started capitalizing things like that, I've kept it because it makes me feel special, somehow. My guy and I have been engaged for almost a year now, but we're really just starting the big wedding hulabaloo for the parents, et all. It's in March, so we've got time, but it's just so exciting! I feel important and special and stuff, haha. I suppose to some degree I pay to feel special and important. :wink:

A dress pic in the spoiler! And here's the picasa album with other pictures of it -- only five so it's not too much! Four or something edits later I think the picture should be there!
Spoiler:
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 am UTC

It looks wonderful Cathy! *mumbles things about needing to do the same herself at some point and nervous and stuffs...*

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:30 am UTC

Cathy, that dress is divine! I love that it's simple and elegant - not pouffy or meringue-y.

about hand-washing delicates - the *super-easy* way to do it is just chuck them in the floor of the shower while you're showering. You don't need to buy special detergent either, just whatever regular hand soap you use is usually fine. You can give them a gentle rub if they need it (sweaty underarm bits or underboob bits). You can also just do them by hand in the sink with a little regular hand soap. Personally I find rubbung a regular bar of soap on dirty bits works exceptionally well - better than detergent.

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:50 am UTC

I almost always 'don't get' wedding dresses, but that is beautiful. Such a lovely shape.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

feyayeruka wrote:about hand-washing delicates - the *super-easy* way to do it is just chuck them in the floor of the shower while you're showering.

I don't trust that the floor of my shower is clean enough to wash clothes on... Even a few days after cleaning it, it always feels slimy. I just clasp the clasps, throw 'em in the washer, and hope for the best. I hang them to dry, and I haven't had a problem yet *fingers crossed*. Sometimes the straps get tangled in other clothes (pants legs, sleeves), so things get wrinkly, but it usually works itself out in the dryer.

meridian

Postby meridian » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:
feyayeruka wrote:about hand-washing delicates - the *super-easy* way to do it is just chuck them in the floor of the shower while you're showering.

I don't trust that the floor of my shower is clean enough to wash clothes on... Even a few days after cleaning it, it always feels slimy. I just clasp the clasps, throw 'em in the washer, and hope for the best. I hang them to dry, and I haven't had a problem yet *fingers crossed*. Sometimes the straps get tangled in other clothes (pants legs, sleeves), so things get wrinkly, but it usually works itself out in the dryer.

Yeah, this is my process. I have no problem carrying damp bras home from the laundromat either. I end up hanging them in my room to dry overnight because I also get the nipple guarding thicker cup material.

Also: my tub is gross. Some day, I will scour it enough to get it technically clean, but I will forever be haunted by the ghosts of the mold in there. :(
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

High-fives accepted and reciprocated!

I am eagerly awaiting seeing wedding dress pictures tonight. Work computer won't let me see pictures :(

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:54 am UTC

Cathy wrote: A dress pic in the spoiler! And here's the picasa album with other pictures of it -- only five so it's not too much! Four or something edits later I think the picture should be there!
Spoiler:

Absolutely stunning Cathy! Squeeeee!

Edited to add: another high-five for PictureSarah!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:26 am UTC

I like the line of the dress. Very "princess." Of course, your wedding day is your princess day, so that works. :)

Uh, does anyone else get weird cravings as PMS symptoms? I was just now struck by an awful craving for mac n' cheese and ketchup, I may actually scrap my original dinner plans in favor of this, and I'm pretty sure Shark Week is starting in a few days. Normal...or am I just trying to justify eating mac 'n cheese and ketchup? :P
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:11 am UTC

That's such a beautiful dress!!

I had a zip-up store bought bra bag. It was good until it got ruined in a laundry machine at my old place. Ripped in two with the bra inside it (also torn to shreds). I don't blame the bag, it was the machine's fault. Still sucks.

My partner got a bag that looks handmade. It's just a basic fabric bag (like a pillow case) with a draw string. We use that now, and it works just as good. Oh, and yeah hang dry... These bras are too expensive to not hang dry.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Return to “General”