[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:55 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
Virtual_Aardvark wrote:Woman thread fess: Possible trigger
Spoiler:
Shopping for a leather jacket in Italy (land of the super thin fashion models) I always get a little thrill when the shop owner takes one look at me and takes a jacket off the display mannequin for me to try. I know how small those mannequins are and it's fucked up how much I love it.

On the plus side I look HOT in my new leather jacket. (In every sense. Mediterranean summers are intense.)

Spoiler:
Not fucked up; your body type is what it is and you're embracing it; more power to you.

can someone explain to me how this is triggering? that should not be anywhere near as condescending as it sounds, but i think i'm missing something.

also, lady rant!: ok, so i am mostly skinny, or atleast for my height and bone structure, whatever. anyway i have this giant ass, no hips to go with it, jut massively protruding ass, and you know, i love it, i do, but it causes a few problems. i mean mostly i don't fit into clothes and all that, you know the same thing most of us deal with. my big beef is that it messes with the curvature of my spine. this is only usually a minor pain but today i am sick. so it hurts like hell. and the only way for it to not hurt would be to lay flat on my stomach, however, i have food poisoning and that sounds like a shit idea right now. so, rar! all i want is to feel less like shit!!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:
Virtual_Aardvark wrote:Woman thread fess: Possible trigger
Spoiler:
Shopping for a leather jacket in Italy (land of the super thin fashion models) I always get a little thrill when the shop owner takes one look at me and takes a jacket off the display mannequin for me to try. I know how small those mannequins are and it's fucked up how much I love it.

On the plus side I look HOT in my new leather jacket. (In every sense. Mediterranean summers are intense.)

Spoiler:
Not fucked up; your body type is what it is and you're embracing it; more power to you.

can someone explain to me how this is triggering? that should not be anywhere near as condescending as it sounds, but i think i'm missing something.

I marked this as triggering because it ties very neatly into the eating disordered mentality I had in the past. I recently lost some weight (unhealthy in this case) and this made me feel better about it etc...

I know a few people who read here have weight related issues and whether they're ED or not I can see this as being potentially triggerey. Maybe overcautious but considering my own mind frame at the moment it seemed the right thing to do.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:46 am UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:can someone explain to me how this is triggering? that should not be anywhere near as condescending as it sounds, but i think i'm missing something.

I marked this as triggering because it ties very neatly into the eating disordered mentality I had in the past. I recently lost some weight (unhealthy in this case) and this made me feel better about it etc...

I know a few people who read here have weight related issues and whether they're ED or not I can see this as being potentially triggerey. Maybe overcautious but considering my own mind frame at the moment it seemed the right thing to do.
Possibly also a little triggery for others with such issues...
Spoiler:
Yep, having had a slightly screwed up mentality around food in the past, I found it slightly triggery, probably more so than usual as I'd just seen an unflattering photo of myself uploaded on facebook shortly prior - thank you for spoilering it etc Aardvark! Much appreciated. That feeling of getting happiness/self-assurance/whatever-it-is-exactly from a purely size or weight-based comment is just a little too familiar, and at times being reminded of it can trigger me into wanting to get all obsessive about my weight again. I'm happy to explain more effectively why/how it triggers by PM if you want, but to write it out here just risks potentially being overly triggery for others.

But YAY for cool new leather jackets Virtual Aardvark! :)

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:53 am UTC

a little late reply, but bluebambue, that necklace is gorgeous. wear it all the time.

unrelatedly, this image is entirely gross, but somehow seems appropriate to share on this thread

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:44 am UTC

Speaking of, I have heard this is true, but I could use some anecdata for some reason: has anyone had an experience where one dose/brand/formulation of the pill was an absolute bitch to get on, but another/lower dose/other method was easier? I am willing to try any method that will regulate this goddamn menstrual nonsense and does not involve needles.

(I was on the pill for years, went off to see if I liked it better, and ATM I am finally thoroughly convinced I really freakin' don't. But, I fear the two months of so of depressedhorriblecrazy that come with trying to get on my old prescription. After that I was okay... or at least level...)

(Also related: ow ow ow X_X)

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:06 am UTC

Not me personally, but I have two very close friends who had absolutely horrid experiences with the first form of the pill they took, switched, and were much happier.

And I was using the nuvaring for a while, which totally killed my sex drive. Now I have a copper IUD, so no hormones + super-effective; but if you're looking for birth control to regulate/control your cycle, the copper IUD probably isn't the way to go.

The Mirena - the IUD with hormones - might be worth looking into, though.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
also, lady rant!: ok, so i am mostly skinny, or atleast for my height and bone structure, whatever. anyway i have this giant ass, no hips to go with it, jut massively protruding ass, and you know, i love it, i do, but it causes a few problems. i mean mostly i don't fit into clothes and all that, you know the same thing most of us deal with. my big beef is that it messes with the curvature of my spine. this is only usually a minor pain but today i am sick. so it hurts like hell. and the only way for it to not hurt would be to lay flat on my stomach, however, i have food poisoning and that sounds like a shit idea right now. so, rar! all i want is to feel less like shit!!

You can try lying on your side with a pillow between your legs at around your knees - that's supposed to help take pressure off your hips and spine, and helps me.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:Speaking of, I have heard this is true, but I could use some anecdata for some reason: has anyone had an experience where one dose/brand/formulation of the pill was an absolute bitch to get on, but another/lower dose/other method was easier? I am willing to try any method that will regulate this goddamn menstrual nonsense and does not involve needles.

(I was on the pill for years, went off to see if I liked it better, and ATM I am finally thoroughly convinced I really freakin' don't. But, I fear the two months of so of depressedhorriblecrazy that come with trying to get on my old prescription. After that I was okay... or at least level...)

YES. I've had a bunch of different pills and have only just found one that doesn't trigger either mood swings or migraines. My advice is to find a good doctor who'll help you find a pill that works for you. It took me a while.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:
Virtual_Aardvark wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:can someone explain to me how this is triggering? that should not be anywhere near as condescending as it sounds, but i think i'm missing something.

Possibly also a little triggery for others with such issues...
Spoiler:
Yep, having had a slightly screwed up mentality around food in the past, I found it slightly triggery, probably more so than usual as I'd just seen an unflattering photo of myself uploaded on facebook shortly prior - thank you for spoilering it etc Aardvark! Much appreciated. That feeling of getting happiness/self-assurance/whatever-it-is-exactly from a purely size or weight-based comment is just a little too familiar, and at times being reminded of it can trigger me into wanting to get all obsessive about my weight again. I'm happy to explain more effectively why/how it triggers by PM if you want, but to write it out here just risks potentially being overly triggery for others.

But YAY for cool new leather jackets Virtual Aardvark! :)

i understand now, thankies. =]

ameretrifle wrote:Speaking of, I have heard this is true, but I could use some anecdata for some reason: has anyone had an experience where one dose/brand/formulation of the pill was an absolute bitch to get on, but another/lower dose/other method was easier? I am willing to try any method that will regulate this goddamn menstrual nonsense and does not involve needles.

while none of my pills affected me as greatly as yours did, i have definitly noticed differences between the ones i've taken

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Yes, definitely. For me only POP/mini pills work. Pills with any sort of oestrogen in cause all sorts of side-effects.

Semi-related: Has anyone got any experience with the nexplanon? I'm very close to getting one, but can't find testimonials online that seem sensible (no one appears to have gone on similar pills first and been ok on them (I've been on Cerazette for three years without any side effects). One person was told not to use hormonal birth control and was then advised to have the nexplanon...which is hormonal? So yeah...).
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

Thank you guys so much <3<3 I don't tend to get *bad* periods, as much as they just seem to screw with me in waaay too many ways (volatility, sleep, turns my stomach upside down...) and these days I can't predict them at all. :/ Yesterday was pretty crappy, so I really needed the hope that maybe I can get back on something without a two-month adjustment period of wanton fuckery. I worry that an adjustment period is inevitable with any option, but I'd settle for two months of just pretty annoying! I'll try to get an appointment to sort out some options soon.

And I'm afraid I've only been on Tri-Sprintec...

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:10 am UTC

Totally off topic, but does anyone know about the age limit blocking Google+? And if they do, how can I get around it? In fact, I'm not even sure how they know I'm underage... :?

I have no experience with BC, at this moment. So I can't help you there. Sorry.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:31 am UTC

Chandani wrote:Totally off topic, but does anyone know about the age limit blocking Google+? And if they do, how can I get around it? In fact, I'm not even sure how they know I'm underage... :?

I can't help you on the "how they know you're underage" bit, but here's the terms of service section regarding it:

Google+ Terms of Service wrote:2.3 You may not use the Services and may not accept the Terms if (a) you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Google, or (b) you are a person barred from receiving the Services under the laws of the United States or other countries including the country in which you are resident or from which you use the Services.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:01 am UTC

Huh.
Well, I guess I can't use it, then.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:56 pm UTC

My brother got on Google+ by listing himself as being in a different country (Germany I think). So you could try that maybe?

(Of course, this happened a week before his 18th birthday, so I'm really not sure why he didn't just wait....)

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:03 am UTC

or put in a different age.
there have been reports of kids who've had gmail accounts for years, and after connecting with G+ getting locked out of *all* google products, including gmail, because of being underage.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

Yeah. I recommend lying. Why on earth should G+ know true things about you? Google does not really earn that.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

If I could find how to change my age, I would. But I can't.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:14 pm UTC

Who wouldn't? (aged 43, whichever way I count it)
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:Semi-related: Has anyone got any experience with the nexplanon? I'm very close to getting one, but can't find testimonials online that seem sensible (no one appears to have gone on similar pills first and been ok on them (I've been on Cerazette for three years without any side effects). One person was told not to use hormonal birth control and was then advised to have the nexplanon...which is hormonal? So yeah...).

Not sure if a testimonial from a guy is completely kosher, but my wife has been on implanon for 4 and a half years(on her second one), and raves about it whenever the topic of contraception comes up. (It looks like nexplanon is just implanon preloaded into the applicator: in Australia and the US, that's how it's always been.) I'm sure I could ask her on here if you want to talk to someone who uses it.

From my perspective, we haven't had a baby in that time, so... yeah. :)

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:Yes, definitely. For me only POP/mini pills work. Pills with any sort of oestrogen in cause all sorts of side-effects.

Semi-related: Has anyone got any experience with the nexplanon? I'm very close to getting one, but can't find testimonials online that seem sensible (no one appears to have gone on similar pills first and been ok on them (I've been on Cerazette for three years without any side effects). One person was told not to use hormonal birth control and was then advised to have the nexplanon...which is hormonal? So yeah...).

Nexplanon uses the same hormone as the Nuva Ring, and from the anectoda I have gathered, Nuva Ring is a pretty great form of birth control.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

I have a question:

For important business events (interviews, business portraits, etc.), how should you wear your hair?

I have longish blonde hair (goes down to about bra-strap length) with bangs (straight across, but more wispy - not blunt) that isn't curly or straight and only sometimes actually wavy. One possibility would obviously be a bun, but as I do have layers and my hair is naturally frizzy and fine, buns fall out easily. (Note that this isn't actually a lack in my ability to create buns - I can in other people's hair with no problem, I just can't make it stay in my hair neatly)

It seems like most people wear their hair down, but my hair is typically longer and also does not look particularly wonderful when fully down (I have a long face).

I have to take a business portrait tomorrow and I'm not sure what I should do.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

You have any luck with french twists? Those are simple, but classy.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Braid it maybe?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

I just do pony tails. I just use a small band, but it's good enough to keep the hair back from my face, and doesn't look too bad.

This may be because I can't really do anything else with my hair - I just learnt how to do a bun last year and they don't work anywhere near enough as well as they should for something professional.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

One option is to use a large barrette in the back, which gives you basically the same neat gathering of hair as a ponytail but can look at a little fancier.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:02 am UTC

It sounds like my hair is kind of like yours, except brown and kind of wavy. But we've both got fly-aways and frizz and it's hard to keep buns to stick.

For me, when I make a bun, I take the top half of hair, like putting half up (like this) but instead of tying it there, I twist the top half with the bottom half, point the ends up, and then tie it up with a hair tie. It's not incredibly messy, and it stays.

I've also recently discovered things like these. They're two combs linked together with stretchy material (I prefer no beads, they catch my hair). They can put hair half-up , in a ponytail, or in a bun. Here's a website with pictures of those. If I put too much hair into the comb teeth I end up with a headache after long amounts of time, but it's pretty nice! I'm suprised by how well it sticks.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:43 am UTC

I have short hair, so don't really have any suggestions on the professional hair front.

I just had a consultation appointment with a gynecologist today to talk about tubal ligation. We ended up deciding to give me Essure, which are metal spirals that they put in your fallopian tubes. Tissue grows around the spirals and blocks the tubes. It is less invasive and more effective than tubal ligation. I will be going in soon to sign some paperwork and get prescriptions for relaxants and pain killers (it's an in office procedure) and then it will haven in about a month after that.

I am super excited. I haven't heard about anyone anywhere near my age being able to get this done. If anyone in the Seattle area wants the name of the doctor, PM me and I will happily oblige.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:47 am UTC

On the hair front, when I had long hair, I found that a fancy barrette doing a half a pony-tail worked well, but I don't know if that would solve your long hair / long face concerns. Have you tried a french braid? French braids into fancy buns can be particularly professional looking. Have you tried having someone else do a bun in your hair? It's quite possible that buns fall out of your hair because it's hard to do them on yourself, not because your hair won't keep them in. And bobby pins should be able to keep any hair of sufficient length up in a well-crafted bun, as long as you're not running a marathon or doing something else hugely active. Leaving your hair down is a great way to go for professional/business, but if you don't like the way you look with your long hair down, perhaps you should consider cutting it.

bluebambue, congratulations on finding an OBGYN for sterilization!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:37 am UTC

Spoiled for skin icky and possibly offensive and depressing weight talk (just wanna be safe)
Spoiler:
I went to a dermatologist today for recurring boils in the groin, and found out that it's possible I may have a chronic skin condition. Bah. It was my first time with the doctor, but he was really good. One of those people who just makes you feel comfortable, y'know? He didn't over or under-state anything and said thing with "maybe" and other qualifications. Turns out this thing is most common in obese male smokers and people who take lithium. When I said "well I used to be obese and take lithium" his response was "that's hard to imagine."
It was surprisingly nice to hear, mostly because I'm so good at seeing the marks medically-induced obesity left on me (lots of stretch marks, permanent skin bits and pieces, etc) that I forget that everyone can't see them too. It is kind of sad for me to see the kind of long-term issues that meds like lithium and zyprexa during teen years have left me with. I wouldn't have scars, I wouldn't have boils, I wouldn't have 10 square in of stretch marks on each hip and thigh. My family's reaction to my obesity was disgust and anger. For Christ's sake, they still make an issue out of my food intake whenever they see me. I have trouble enough not remembering to eat regular meals as it is, I don't want to fall into unhealthy patterns. I don't like that things like this still linger. Is it strange that 4 years of being obese put as much of a mental mark on me as rape did?
I just worry that the fact that these things linger are bad, or wrong, or some other thing that marks me as messed up.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:53 am UTC

Cathy:
Spoiler:
No, it's not strange, you're not messed up, and lingering effects are not inherently bad. You (general "you") can't just snap out of a mindset or pattern of thoughts caused by a significant part of your life, and you shouldn't expect yourself to magically not be bothered by that part. It's normal, and no, it's not fun. I don't have an easy fix, and I wish I did.

For me, the problem was six months of suicidal depression caused by HBC, so I 'magically' snapped out of being depressed after I quit taking the pills. But three years later, and I'm still rattled by the after effects.

What works for me is to try not to think about the bad times. Concentrate on today, being alive, being healthier, and that things are better than they were. *hugs*

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:39 pm UTC

Thanks for all the suggestions! I woke up and my hair was surprisingly cooperative/smooth today so I decided to wear it half up with a decent barrette.

I do love french braids however and I wear those regularly. Obviously if I want to make them look nice, I have to load my hair with product, but I LOVE french braids.

Actually, that's probably the same for buns too. If I take the time for them to look nice, I usually have to put an ungodly amount of de-frizz stuff in my hair. As I can easily make a bun that will stay up and out of the way (I've had buns stay in for running and rock climbing - if you don't know about spin pins, check them out!) it just doesn't look very good because of the wispies coming out. (I actually like that if I want to be casual)

Oh, and I definitely should try and find a larger barrette so I can do a pony tail that way! Thanks for the idea.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

Cathy:

Spoiler:
Sounds like hidradenitis suppurativa. Don't be so down on yourself, I've had it since before I was obese because of a family history (which I didn't know about for years since no one likes to talk about it) - and never took lithium or anything like that. Sometimes things just happen. I have wicked scars in my armpits from it. Most doctors know next to nothing about it despite how common it is, so unless your doctor is a dermatologist with HS specific training, I'd put no stock in what he says. Being overweight can certainly be part of it, but it's much more complex than that.

Weight is a tough thing. I'm at my highest weight that I've ever been, and though I actually have a hugely legitimate medical reason for it, it's still very tough for me to deal with. I worked my tush off to lose about 40 pounds and have gained it all back and more over the last 6 months or so. Lamesauce!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

Thanks for the replies, you guys. Made me feel better. <3

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

So, shark week is 6 days late. I don't really think I'm pregnant. I don't feel pregnant (as far as I know, never having been pregnant). But whenever there's any doubt, I get a little paranoid. And, of course, the fastest way to get shark week to finally show up is to spend $12.00 on a damn pregnancy test. :x
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

i am the same way, it's so annoying.
also, accidently let my bf know i was a few weeks late. I'm not worried because this always happens when i fly too much in a cycle. however, he is now paranoid o the point of convinced. =/ i don't want to pay for a test or skip a pill to prove it to him, and he won't pay for a test because he's convinced it'll be positive and doesn't want to know. He even told someone the other day that i was pregnant. it's more annoying than anything else, but i guess now i know not to tell him these things.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am UTC

I'm the same way too. Expensive horrible pregnancy tests! So much stress, so much worrying about every little thing your body's doing in case it's a symptom... ergh.

The good thing is that each time I freak out only to find everything's OK, I do get just a little more blasé about it. The bad thing is that because of that, if I ever do have an unplanned pregnancy, it'll probably be 2 months along with FAS before I finally realise.

suffer-cait that sounds like such a pain! It's nice to be able to tell your partner so that you can share that little bit of nervousness with someone else, but not if they're going to freak out even more than you are!

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:45 am UTC

There are actually pregnancy tests at the dollar store...I just don't think I trust pregnancy tests from the dollar store. Has anyone tried them?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:39 am UTC

All I know is that ever since that fateful day when I was 13 and the local Dollar Tree sold me a usb-to-usb connector to "network computers" and I fried a monitor, I don't trust anything from the dollar store to not actively harm me/my stuff.

Which is not to say I don't shop there anymore. XD
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

dr_vektor

Postby dr_vektor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:43 am UTC

My school doesn't care about women being underrepresented in engineering.

Email from the director of "Diversity in Engineering"
Spoiler:
"Unlike [School A], [School B] is not authorized to do programming that is restricted to women only with any of its funds.
All of our programs are diversity focused.
Diversity models can be race or gender based; race or gender nuetral or race or gender conscious. [School B] follows the latter model and it cannot legally use model # 1 and model # 2 is simply not effective.
The one exception to this rule is when all the funds come from an external sources.
(Insert statistics on School B) so our gender challenge at the undergraduate level is an identification and attraction one.
Why are we doing a women only program? What is our vision and goal?"

Well, FUCK YOU TOO.

Return to “General”