[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mmmm, Pi

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

I really need to get a new swimming costume. Might try a bikini on for the lolz, but I doubt I'd actually use it so won't be buying it. I do want a nice looking one piece though that isn't going to to see through.

Loving the new safespace tag on this tread as well, it's so needed.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

I can't swim all that well, but I would if I were somewhere moderately private. We have about eight lakes up where I live, and I'd like to swim there. The only thing I'm not comfortable with is the fact that my lower half is bigger than my upper half, which looks kind of weird when you're in a bathing suit. Usually I balance it out by wearing baggy/floofy tops, but, to my knowledge, bathing suits are not known for their floof.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

I stopped shaving my upper legs a while ago, and it makes me nervous about swimming. The hair on my inner thighs is simply darker than the hair near my knees: it's a gradual transition, but it's noticeable. I've worn only once-piece Speedos for years, because I really, really like swimming when I'm in the water, and, as far as traditional women's swimming apparel, the one piece just works better. I stopped swimming because I started working out with my spouse at the gym, and it simply wasn't fun to do laps every day, while I could jump on the exercise bike next to my spouse every day. But I'm thinking I should get back to swimming at least once a week, because it stretches me out so nicely. I haven't been keeping up the working out at the gym since my spouse is away at school, either.

I'd been shaving my lower legs, but I just stopped shaving them because I was walking around in shorts the other day, and I was getting so much wind-speed and turbulence information from the hairs on my knees and upper legs, that I really felt that it would be nice to get the same information from my lower legs, even though the hairs near my ankles are (like the hairs on my upper inner thighs) really quite dark.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Victorian taffeta bathing costumes. OH YEAH

But no, seriously, I wear a speedo too. I spent an entire summer looking for a suit that FIT and it was the only one. I hadn't found it until winter. I am growing out of it, though, so I think I'll look for a two-piece that's actually designed to STAY ON.
The Smoothie has started blogging. OH NO.

Dibley

Re: Woman Thread - The thread that gives (about once a month)

Postby Dibley » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

Gentlelady wrote:I can't wear them because I burn too easily. I go find a pair of swim trunks that fit and buy a top that covers my stomach, then a t shirt goes over that. The one time I wore a bikini my boobs kept coming out of the top and I burned everywhere. I looked like a lobster a week or two.

There's pretty excellent waterproof sunscreen, but presumably you've tried that.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

natraj wrote:Oh man I used to love that hair mascara stuff. It actually coloured my hair! (Which is generally too dark to dye and needs so much bleach before it'll take colour that it burns half my scalp off.)

I had exciting blue and purple and bright red hair mascaras and it was wonderful.
exactly why i would love such a thing, i am looking into purchase now, must have!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Cashew, I totally love your dress! It's beautiful. I was hovering between gold and red (pretty much the same shade you chose), but ended up going with gold because it fit better with my fall color scheme, and I wanted one of my bridesmaids to be able to wear a reddish color. Do you think false eyelashes would come off if I sweat or cry or anything? I'm a little paranoid about that sort of addition to my face, but I like the idea of how it would look...

Thank ya much! I saw the dress, and bought it about 2 weeks after I was engaged.. it sat in my mothers closet for nearly a year before the wedding....
Oddly enough, originally, my bridesmaids were wearing gold, but that changed up... False eyelashes don't typically come off unless you rub at them, and there is some amazing setting spray stuff that makes makeup adhere (especially eye makeup) so that you have to scrub it off.. a few tears won't do it :) (I should know, I was pretty darn teary) :)

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Swimming!
I finally got around to checking out the pool at my college here. I remember that I like swimming. Although I'm finding out my technique is terrible to non-existent, and the high altitude makes it extra hard. It is kind of intimidating to be a lane or two across from serious swimmers (and guys with sexy abs...) but I'm doing my best to ignore the fact that people can see me.

Re: bikinis
Something my sister used to do was get a bikini and then pair the top with a pair of swimming trunks/board shorts. It was pretty cute

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

I would never wear a bikini. Even if I were a girl.

I mean, it's like walking around in your underwear . . .
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

i totally walk around in my underwear
course, i went to the post office in my bikini the other day

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:16 am UTC

sje46 wrote:I would never wear a bikini. Even if I were a girl.

You get used to it. I love wearing my bikini and feeling sexy, 'cause usually I am legitimately sexy in it. (This was only a very recent development - as in, it's possible I was sexy before, but it wasn't until recently that I finally got the confidence to see it - so I still sympathize with being self-conscious in a revealing suit.)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Yeh but it's the same deal for dudes too: swimming shorts = boxers, speedos = little undies. Plus, me and my office mates seem to be getting into a habit of showing eachother our underwear anyways. I like bikinis. Yes I'm white. Yes, my tummy-flab likes to squishy over the top a little, it ain't flat and I certainly don't have strong abs. But it means I can feel the sun and water on my skin better (although this has the disadvantage of a greater surface area to sunblock) and there is the HUGE advantage of being able to pull my pants down when I need to go pee at the swimming pools, rather than trying to roll down my entire 1-piece which I can't get on properly or easily afterward cause it's all wet and rolled up. You can see my tummy flab in a one piece anyway, although I do think that if you're doing fast swimming/laps rather than just recreational, then a one-piece works better (more comfortable, more stream-lined etc). Wearing swimming togs of any sort used to make me feel a little uncomfortable when surrounded by all these tanned, toned, tall girls in bikinis, but I'm learning to love my body these days.

aging.child wrote:The only thing I'm not comfortable with is the fact that my lower half is bigger than my upper half, which looks kind of weird when you're in a bathing suit.

I have a friend like this too. I know that she could never get dresses to fit her right so would always have to wear a top and skirt for formal occasions, but I'm not sure what she does about swimming gear? She looks gorgeous anyway, I don't think people should worry too much that their figure doesn't look right when what they're classing as "right" is merely a current trend in society as to who is picked out to model the clothing in the advertisements. Fashion changes for sure, but I think it's ridiculous that women's physical make-up (and men's to some extent as well, though not so much) is being stuck into the category of fashion. The big lower-half used to be the fashionable one anyway, you just have to look at some of Renoir's patintings to see that:
http://www.awesome-art.biz/awesome/imag ... ing%20.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... neuses.jpg
http://www.archae.su.ac.th/StudentProj/ ... enoir6.jpg
http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnai ... udy$29.jpg
They're all about the bottoms and thighs!
(Sorry about my inability to link to images with just words, I one of those not-so-computer-literate people :oops:

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:47 am UTC

I like the swimsuits from Land's End, personally. That is where I got my one-piece from last year. But they do have nice two pieces that cover, and you can mix and match. You buy top and bottoms separately, and they make them in different shapes, and even the bottoms you can get traditional bikini, more brief sort of style, or even more short-like or mini skirt sort of deal. They also categorize them for what cut looks best on what body shape. I find it helpful, anyway.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:(Sorry about my inability to link to images with just words, I one of those not-so-computer-literate people :oops:
For future reference, you go:

Code: Select all

[url=(past image location here)]word(s)[/url]

And to be on-topic, I suppose I'm a little self-conscious in swimming trunks. My shirtless self has been likened to those pictures of starved Holocaust victims. (I'm tall, very skinny, and not muscular at all.) I can't really swim, so it doesn't really come up much. The only people likely to see me in swimming trunks are people who have seen me shirtless anyway.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:56 am UTC

I do this. I am failing to see what's wrong with it... some places its just fine to do.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:56 am UTC

I'd say this is a better argument for walking around in your underwear than it is as an argument against bikini wearing. And as someone said earlier, guy's swim-wear is also pretty much underwear.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:30 am UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:
aging.child wrote:The only thing I'm not comfortable with is the fact that my lower half is bigger than my upper half, which looks kind of weird when you're in a bathing suit.

I have a friend like this too. I know that she could never get dresses to fit her right so would always have to wear a top and skirt for formal occasions, but I'm not sure what she does about swimming gear?
i am excessively large on the bottom half, i buy dresses that are tight at the waist than poof out all over the place. as for bathing suits, i've always bought my tops and bottoms seperate. when i was still self concious i'd do it with tankinis, maybe some board shorts added.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

Sharkweek. I think I'm going to get some tampons and some kind of lubricator, and try again. Because this is getting silly!

Also - can breasts shrink? One of my bras has simply stretched out too much, but I've noticed lately that a few of them seem a little gappy. Could I have got smaller? It seems odd that all my bras would suddenly stretch out simultaneously...
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

breasts are generally the first place you loose weight, and the last place you gain it

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:02 pm UTC

Ah, that could be it - I've been much more active lately, and although it's not enough for to have lost weight in a noticeable way it's quite likely I've lost a little. Enough to need new bras, anyway! I remember in school when we did Grease our director was...intense, shall we say, and I ended up dropping a dress size and had to buy a ton of new clothes!
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

I love my boobs. They are wonderful. I'm shedding weight (mostly due to stress) but my cup size is actually increasing. :D :D

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

DJorgensen wrote:

I do this. I am failing to see what's wrong with it... some places its just fine to do.

I didn't say that there is anything wrong with it. There isn't. It is kinda a double standard though. Some girls(presumably) (and guys) won't let you see them in their underwear, but then they go to a public beach.
Dibley wrote:

I'd say this is a better argument for walking around in your underwear than it is as an argument against bikini wearing. And as someone said earlier, guy's swim-wear is also pretty much underwear.
Well, I don't walk around in my boxers either. Or without a shirt =/ That's why I don't go swimming I guess. . .
Anyway, there is a difference. Swim trunks aren't skin tight (and I would never wear a speedo . .ech), and not nearly as revealing either. Girls' bathing suits are right up against the breasts and crotch. I'm not saying it's wrong. It's definitely sexual, in my opinion. But then again, I'm a pervert.
It just seems like that more people should be shy about it then there are. We live in a somewhat prudish society (in America, I mean. Even though it's less prudish than a lot of other places), and girls are wearing what is basically underwear in public, and have been since the 50s.
@turtle:I'm glad you feel comfortable :)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Anyway, there is a difference. Swim trunks aren't skin tight (and I would never wear a speedo . .ech), and not nearly as revealing either. Girls' bathing suits are right up against the breasts and crotch. I'm not saying it's wrong. It's definitely sexual, in my opinion.

I also feel this way. Which is why I was yammering a number of pages back about trying to find stuff for me that was more like athletic-wear, instead of bathing suit styles that are inevitably hyper-feminine or hyper-sexualized. People can dress however they want, I just have opinions about what's marketed at me. : p

(I *don't* think more people should be shy about it. I'm coming at it from the angle of MOAR CHOICES, PLZ.)
Last edited by H.E.L.e.N. on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:breasts are generally the first place you loose weight, and the last place you gain it

Sigh... I wish. But you can definitely lose a little bit of weight there and have your bras not fit. Or if you bought them all around the same time, then maybe they just did all wear out. Best thing to do is to go try on some new ones and see. A professional fitting can be nice, or just try things on until you find some that you like the fit of.

Hair mascara: I have some of that, and I have some comb in temporary stuff. I don't think the comb in stuff covers as well as the mascara, but my hair is pretty light so it works. There's no way I could get away with purple hair at work, so I love that I can use this for a day and then go back to normal. I know I've seen this kind of stuff at Hot Topic and Sally Beauty Supply if you have either of those stores around.

Bathing suits: I don't wear bikinis. Ever. But I'm amazingly not self conscious in anything that covers my tummy. I think it's an appropriate situation thing. I also spent so many years taking dance classes that I'm fine wearing leotards and tights in situations where that's the dress code, so I don't have a problem wearing bathing suits when that's appropriate. (Pools/ lakes/ oceans/ anywhere in a beachy town) Plus, I love to swim and that trumps a bit of body dislike.

Furthermore, I'm fat. And I know that I'm fat and if everyone else is hanging out in a form fitting bathing suit, sitting on the edge of things in a baggy t shirt and shorts isn't going to miraculously make me look thinner. It's just going to make me look bigger and more awkward. No one who sees me dressed is going to be surprised when they see that there's a bigger girl underneath the clothes. (Just don't expect to see my tummy) (Imagine how much alcohol it takes for me to go skinny dipping...)

Buying bathing suits, however, is not fun. I tend to order most of mine from Land's End since they're the only place I've found that does semi affordable D+ cup suits. And no matter what, I cannot manage to cram my boobs in something that isn't specifically cut for them or it fails catastrophically. I really wish more bathing suits were available in cup sizes. Not everyone is a B cup, clothing manufacturers!
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:Buying bathing suits, however, is not fun. I tend to order most of mine from Land's End since they're the only place I've found that does semi affordable D+ cup suits. And no matter what, I cannot manage to cram my boobs in something that isn't specifically cut for them or it fails catastrophically. I really wish more bathing suits were available in cup sizes. Not everyone is a B cup, clothing manufacturers!
Oh yes, I forgot that is another reason I like Land's End. I have troubles finding bathing suits because I have a short torso, but I have width, and I have a chest. Another hard thing since my legs are "normal" is finding jeans. Again, Land's End to the rescue. I can get petite jeans (because the rise is lower, so the waistband isn't up to my boobs like it practically is on normal jeans) with a long hem. Normal petite jeans are 28" inseam, and I'm a standard 31/32" inseam (perfect is 31.75" which I can get at Land's End on some jeans). I've tried "low rise" jeans to get around the rise issue with normal jeans but those are apparently cut for people without hips. I have hippy hips.

Speaking of jeans, has anyone else noticed that lately they seem to be making them skinnier? I have thighs, mostly from karate and all the lower body stance work we do. Once I was at Khol's and having a horrible time finding a nice pair of dress pants (I am normally a 12 or 14 depending on brand/cut/etc) because I couldn't get them on over my thighs! I tried up to a size 18, and finally got them pulled all the way up. Of course, the gaping at the hips and waste was crazy, but that is how high I had to go to get my thighs in! What is up with that? It would be nice if clothing manufacturers wouldn't have this "one size fits all" attitude.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

Apparently every part of my body is a UK size 8 except for my boobs which apparently need a size 10 (this is crazy because they are only A cups). It's been a real pain for finding dresses for holidays because I'll try on a size 8 and not be able to zip it up and then I'll try a size 10 and it hangs off my hips and the straps fall off my shoulders but my boobs fit in perfectly.

I have noticed the thing with the jeans. but it's not as big a problem with me because my legs are apparently just the right size to fit into my jeans. It's not very comfy though and that makes me sad :(
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Speaking of jeans, has anyone else noticed that lately they seem to be making them skinnier?

Yes. And, what's worse is that I can't seem to find any bellbottoms anymore either. I mean, I'm too short to do the bootcut thing without massive heels. Or stilts perhaps.

Old navy has betrayed me as well. I used to fit into those jeans first try. But they have also succumbed to the skinny jeans fad. I think the last pair of bellbottoms I've found were from *checks pants* American Eagle. They have short sizes that fit normal girls/women. Amazing.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

I just bought some old navy jeans and they fit fine...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

But you're tall...

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

aging.child wrote:And, what's worse is that I can't seem to find any bellbottoms anymore either.
this, very very this, i love my bell bottoms, only where bells, and now i can only find them in thrift stores, which is ok, but i wish they were a bit better organised.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

I hate skinny jeans. I have fairly large feet, so they make me look bad. I've had decent luck finding flared jeans at Gap outlets.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

I find jeans that fit pretty well at Old Navy, and I'm only 5'2"ish. Bootcut, too. I've never worn a pair of skinny jeans. Levis also have bootcuts that fit, and they come in "short," "average," and "tall."
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:29 am UTC

My younger cousin wears skinny jeans, and I think they look ridiculous. She pours herself into the bright lime greens, the neon yellows and all the other seizure causing colors she and all of her friends can find. I can not stand them.

I still stick to just regular plain blue jeans.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:02 am UTC

I'm not that tall... I generally have to wear the short cut clothes.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:19 am UTC

I bought a new pair of jeans a month or so ago, after having gone at least a couple of years without getting any new ones. I've pretty much been looking for some for all of that time -- it's just been impossible to find any that fit. The jeans I have are a pretty wide range, I think, because no one place seems to consistently fit me. My newest ones are from the Gap, and I'm really happy with them. I tend to find with jeans that I'm right between sizes, and I don't like having to make the decision between slightly too tight and slightly too loose, because really, neither is ideal (and I hate belts). Thighs are definitely one of the areas that are hardest to fit properly, but I quite often find that jeans will fit really nicely in one area and terribly in another...it's especially frustrating because I'd consider myself to have a fairly standard body shape, and would think that maybe I'd be lucky enough to actually be one of the people they're trying to cater to, but evidently not.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:21 am UTC

I'm quite short, but have really wide hips, so always end up buying jeans that are too long for me, and coping with the frayed look.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 am UTC

I have a hip problem with jeans [and most trousers] which tends to mean needing a belt regardless. Either I get stuff that's meant to fit my waist, and give up on the idea of having a fly that does up [why do we even need a fly anyway, ladies?] or I get stuff that's meant to sit on the hips and wear a belt. The correct answer would probably be to give up an wear skirts but.. Although I'm pretty skinny, my thighs are built with huge crater-like dimples, so certain skirts look pretty weird.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

I was going to read every post before I posted (yes, I know the rules say you don't have to). I got to page 400-something. Then I decided I had to jump in with a few comments (this could also be because I am very, very tired).

1. (and I know I will get flak for this) Fat is not healthy. However, weight is not an indicator of health. I am about 5'5 and weigh about 145 lbs. I am pretty darn muscular and am about to run my third marathon. I am fit. I also have some flab I could/should get rid of. However, I know that my body can really do most things that a "normal" person would ask of their body. It irks me when society starts saying that we should be okay with people being fat. I GET that some people have something medical going on. Those folks have my sympathy. Those people are NOT the people about whom I am talking. So, my bottom line is that I want the people I like to be healthy. I don't care what you look like, I just want you to keep your blood pressure low, your resting heart rate low, your BMI moderate, your endurance moderate, etc. Again, it's not about if you *look* fat, or if you have the perfect hourglass figure, or whatever. Just b e healthy. Be well. And if you aren't currently healthy, start taking steps to become healthy. There are several easy steps. Let me (or someone else) know if you want specifics.

I also get that food and eating is a complex, emotional situation for a lot of people. I understand that I grew up with a healthy outlook on eating, and those that didn't ARE going to sort of be behind the power curve. As a control freak (I have many non-food control areas) I GET that a lot of people don't have the same perspective I have. Again, I don't fault the person ~ I fault the family or society or school, or what have you.

2. I *hate* when people who are healthy get all upset because they don't look the way they feel they should. My annoyance in those cases is not directed at the people, but at a society that says you should look a certain way. To reiterate, I think people should strive to be healthy. It doesn't matter what they look like, just be healthy. I hate to pick on a particular person, but I will. DJorgenson: to me, in the pictures I've seen of you, you look to be a healthy (and, oh by the way, beautiful) woman. Why anyone would say any of your proportions need to change is beyond me.

3. I know this was touched on before, but I seem to have missed the answer: Those of you who were born into a body gender with which it is unnatural for you to identify ... what terms are and are not okay?

4. Depo sucks. I gained about 40 lbs on it, and was constantly terrified of pregnancy because I didn't have the nice little monthly reassurance.

5. Shark week sucks. The euphemism, though, is AWESOME so whoever came up with it: Thank you!

6. Oh my word. I love xkcd. And I am good with being a geek. BUT ... I did NOT realize there were so many beautiful geeks out there! I have checked out most of you in the "post your face" thread, and in this one, and you are all goddesses. PLEASE don't let my comments in #1 detract from that. There, really, all I am trying to say is: You are all brilliant, and clever, and funny, and sweet, and kind ... I would like for you all to live forever. The world is a better place having you amazing ladies in it. PLEASE do what you can to maximize your stay!

7. To summarize: I am not a bad person. You all seem to be fantabulous. I really want all you fantabulous folk to be here for a long while to come. So please get/stay healthy.

(ps ~ Mr. Baggins ~ I never saw any post of yours that would have made me uncomfortable. I always saw you as a dude who was interested in finding out what the ladies had to say, and what our perspective was. I hope you continue to pop in whenever you feel an urge to report for duty.)

EDITED for hopefully increased clarity.
Last edited by eekmeep on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

eekmeep wrote:2. I *hate* when people who are healthy get all upset because they don't look the way they feel they should. My annoyance in those cases is not directed at the people, but at a society that says you should look a certain way. To reiterate, I think people should strive to be healthy. It doesn't matter what they look like, just be healthy. I hate to pick on a particular person, but I will. DJorgenson: to me, in the pictures I've seen of you, you look to be a healthy (and, oh by the way, beautiful) woman. Why anyone would say any of your proportions need to change is beyond me.

If I want to look a certain way, then I will damn well look that way. If that means getting robot arms to replace my natural ones, or having wings surgically grafted on to my back, then so be it. I don't care what society has to say on the matter, because purposely not doing something because society tells you to do it is the same as doing it: you're still basing on your behaviour on the expectations of others.

eekmeep wrote:3. I know this was touched on before, but I seem to have missed the answer: Those of you who were born into an unnatural gender ... what terms are and are not okay?

Um... what do you mean by "unnatural gender"?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

natraj

Postby natraj » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:11 pm UTC

eekmeep wrote:3. I know this was touched on before, but I seem to have missed the answer: Those of you who were born into an unnatural gender ... what terms are and are not okay?

I am extremely confused by this and not even sure how it is possible to be born into an unnatural gender unless somehow Science got into your mothers womb and injected you with some sort of Robot Gender.

... I would say for me right off that the term "unnatural gender" is in itself not okay, as it implies that some genders (I am guessing, the ones that don't fit into the two societally ordained Proper Gender Roles) are inherently wronger.

Ninja'd by TMT and also edit:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:having wings surgically grafted on to my back

Man I would totally do that if not for then it would be so hard to find clothes that fit!
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Return to “General”