[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jadestone

Re: Woman Thread - The thread with the fallopian touch!

Postby Jadestone » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Ohh, good find Jess, those are really nice, actually. I usually prefer black footwear but I like those.

I have a pair of combat-boot things I wear pretty much every day in winter/fall, and i have a pair of Naot sandals for spring. Summer I try to go barefoot. I love Naot because they actually have enough arch support for me in some of their shoes; I have incredibly high arches, it makes shoes uncomfortable.

Boots are my secret girly love. I I owned a pair of knee-high hooker boots with zippers and laces and buckles ect... my calves are kind of big though, and my ankles skinny-ish, though my shoe size is normal. But any wishwishwish pair I've looked at so far, if it's fit me in the leg it's too big in the ankle and I would undoubtedly hurt myself like that.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Those are all such lovely shoes. I'm still in love with the Mohop ones eternaluna posted the link to earlier in the thread. I can't wear flat shoes, they make my ankles die a horrible painful death within about half an hour. I don't know why this is. I usually walk barefoot, or wear heeled boots. I love knee highs, even if no-one can see them. :D

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

I adore my knee high boots. They're patent, black, clearly synthetic, but still awesome. So sexy... <3
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

I love my docs, even though they are so heavy I feel like I'm stomping every step. I would quite love a pair of the taller boot kind.

I'm also a fan of high heels, but I don't get to wear them much anymore because they're just not practical for the ridiculous amount of walking I have to do to get to my classes every day. On other occasions though, I love them. These are my particular favorites, which I really should wear more.
Spoiler:
shoes.jpg
I have no idea why I had this picture.
shoes.jpg (68.16 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 am UTC

I, as a rule, do not wear heels that are more than 2 inches. I have a few pairs of shoes that have chunky 1.5" or so heels, and those are fine, but anything exceeding 2 inches starts to kill me. I was contemplating wearing heels for the wedding (still low heels), and found several pairs of comfy-seeming ballroom dance shoes that were very nice, but I ended up falling in love with the flats. Also, the wedding is on a large lawn. If I wore heels, I might get stuck.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:32 am UTC

I don't have a problem with heel height, per se, but I still can't wear most heels because they just don't fit my feet. I have wide feet and super sensitive skin so something that isn't really well fitted tends to rub huge, bloody holes in my feet. I've found that flatter shoes tend to be better made, cheaper, and more likely to come in wides. I do have a couple of pairs of character shoes that I can wear around forever, and if by some miracle I actually manage to get married I'll probably look at ballroom dance shoes since they're more likely to be made for wearing and dancing instead of just looking hot.

I do love some of the Remix shoes. My dance teacher had a huge bag of them hanging around in her studio and wears them to dances pretty regularly, but again, no wides so I can't even think about wearing them.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:16 am UTC

I came here because kells was talking about her shoes and I had to see them :) They are cute, Kells.

I guess I'm not a shoe person. I have my shoe-boot sort of thing for trudging through snow and slush to get around campus from Land's End. They are purple!!!! (and of course, waterproof and very warm which is what I need!) Then I have tennis shoes (New Balance, I need the kind with a rollbar for support). I do have a few pairs of cute mary-janes for wearing with my skirts. I've never worn anything with heels. Well, actually, I have. Once. I wore flip-flops to work one day, expecting to be doing experiment write-ups and graphic work and not actually in the lab. It ended up I ran two assays that day, so I tried borrowing a coworker's shoes (she had a pair of slip ons so she could wear flipflops in the summer and switch on and off when needing to be in the lab, as of course, closed toed shoes in the lab is required). Well, these slip-ons had wedge-ish heels. We do have the same size feet, so that wasn't an issue, but I almost fell twice within ten minutes. I put the flip-flops back on. I was safer in open toes and not falling.

I have to be careful with my shoes anyway, even wearing the flip-flops is only for when I'm not going to be on my feet, or just running to karate class or something. I have bad pronation so I need good arch/ankle support or my lower legs will start to have a really bad burning pain quite quickly if I'm walking around a lot.

Flying Betty - My mom wore soft ballet shoes for her wedding and apparently was quite happy with that choice, it is what I plan on doing if I ever get married. Also, I have seen in stores now very lacy wedding dress type shoes on a tennis shoe base, very cleverly disguised, quite elegant and pretty looking, and very comfy with good support (I did try a few on for fun). I can't remember who made them, they were just at Famous Footwear and I saw them when getting tennis shoes last time. Just some thoughts!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:19 am UTC

Hyphe wrote:I'm still in love with the Mohop ones eternaluna posted the link to earlier in the thread. I can't wear flat shoes, they make my ankles die a horrible painful death within about half an hour. I don't know why this is. I usually walk barefoot, or wear heeled boots. I love knee highs, even if no-one can see them. :D

This. Those sandals are genius.

Oh, and I had a pair of Mary Janes like the ones Ambelie had, but the heel on mine ripped apart from the sole. I could probably fix them, if I managed to tear out the soles so I could drill in new screws. I'd probably reinforce the bit between the heel and the platform so it didn't happen again, too.
The Smoothie has started blogging. OH NO.

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:27 am UTC

@Flying Betty - I have these red scars right across my feet from when my tram broke down and I had to walk to work in a pair of shoes that _weren't_ designed for walking. Actually, my feet are horribly scarred - I also have a whole heap of marks from when some friendly spider decided to bite me about a bazillion times.

The only shoes I've ever really found comfy were a pair of aerosoles that my sister brought back from the States for me. There's something about the padding in the sole that makes your feet sigh happy sighs all day...

I wish they shipped out to Australia. I've seriously considered opening a shoe shop here just so I can import them ><

We're just coming into winter here so I'm thinking I might finally get myself some sexy boots. I'm worried they won't be as comfortable as they look, tho... >< I do horse riding and for competitions I wear 'gaiters' which basically wrap around your calf and attach to your boot. They look like knee highs, but aren't :D Which means you can customise the thigh width and ankle width by wearing a little pair of shoes and a big pair of gaiters. Unfortunately, though, I don't think gaiters will hit the fashion scene :(

Spoiler:

namaize

Postby namaize » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:40 am UTC

So, a somewhat random but important question for all you better-informed ladies: how do BC pills work during placebo week? I just got on the pill, and it says if you skip a placebo pill you don't need backup BC... but do you get Shark Week. Is it just that no eggs are released? So BC just stops egg release indefinitely and controls whether your uterus thinks it should be pregnant or not?
Or should you be using backup that week anyway (assuming we're just talking pregnancy prevention here and not STI protection and all that good stuff)?

Back to shoes: I'm fortunate enough to currently be a college student in a relatively temperate location and wear flip-flops almost year-round (I make exceptions for cold rain and snow). I have odd-shaped feet, so everything is either too long or too tight in the front... so sandals are good, but just about everything else gets painful after a while. 'Tis unfortunate, because I enjoy admiring other people's shoes, but most I could never wear.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:45 am UTC

The placebos don't do anything. They just stop the hormones causing Shark Week to start. They just give you pills so you stay in the habit of taking pills at the same time every day.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

namaize

Postby namaize » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:56 am UTC

I guess my problem is... if they don't do anything, what's preventing ovulation?

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:30 am UTC

The other pills give you estrogen and progesterone (they will be a different color). The combination basically makes your body think you are already pregnant, so it does not ovulate. it is only the placebo pills that don't have hormones. They stop giving you hormones so you can have Shark Week.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:03 am UTC

And on an unrelated note...

My flow is SO ANNOYING. It's fairly heavy for two days, then stops for a day, then starts again for another day, stops for a day and a half, and then there's some spotting.
Stained panties abound.

namaize

Postby namaize » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Aha. So stopping the hormones makes you menstruate, then after that when you would normally be ovulating (which is what, about 2 weeks?) you're back on the pill and therefore not ovulating?
Excellent.

Smoothie: you should think about getting a menstrual cup! You can use it when you're bleeding or not bleeding (unlike tampons), which sounds like it would be useful.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:09 am UTC

namaize wrote:Smoothie: you should think about getting a menstrual cup! You can use it when you're bleeding or not bleeding (unlike tampons), which sounds like it would be useful

Which is precisely why I keep bugging my mom to get me one, but she keeps saying "Noo, they're so expensive" even though I repeatedly tell her that being able to use it multiple times makes it much cheaper in the long run. I think I'll have one by next month; though.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:56 am UTC

Magic Smoothie, I just bought one (the moon cup, specifically) for $35. That's not terribly expensive, especially as the last time I bought disposable pads I spent something like $30.

I've been off the pill for over 6 months now, and I'm bleeding large amounts not very often, as I used to. In some ways I missed it, but I'm getting sick of all of the disposable pads (which is why I just bought some reusable cloth pads and the moon cup).

I've always liked uterine lining chunks, in the sense of the globs you see on tissue, in the toilet, or, if you're really lucky, in the bathtub, but I saw a uterine chunk I didn't like so much last month. I had a series of abnormal pap smears (second time for me), and this time the doctor decided to do a LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure), which is essentially cutting off the end of your cervix. That was a big looking chunk of tissue! It was about the size of a stack of 6 quarters. I had no problem walking the three miles home from the OBGYN office afterward, but it was still a surprisingly big chunk of tissue.

Oh, and I'm short and proud of it. Heels can be fun to play with, but it's fun to see guys in heels, too. I hate the expectation that women should wear heels to look good. I wear comfortable shoes and that means not heels.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:33 am UTC

I really want: http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-3292-burlesque.aspx

I can't wear heels at all. I have relaxed ligaments in my ankles, and so they give way on me at random times-moreso when wearing heels. Even chunky wedge shoes with only a 1.5 inch heel :S
I really want boots, but am poor and can't fins heel-less good looking boots in my price range :(
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:49 am UTC

I like wearing heels, but I don't usually because I have to walk a lot around uni and its so much more comfortable in flats. But I found a really comfortable pair of low heels which I've been wearing all the time, I love them. Or I did, until today when I decided to wear them out to lunch, and all my friends decided to go afterwards to a bar halfway across town, which we walked to. Now I have four blisters :(

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:23 am UTC

Ernie is very fond of my busom, and my belly, and the small of my back, and the crook of my neck - unfortunatly for me, he sheds hair everywhere and smells of fish. I am going to turn into a spinster with a brown sofa and hundreds of cats. It is inevitable. :(

abitha

Postby abitha » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

@Hyphe - I assume Ernie is a cat, not a new bloke in your life?!

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

Unfortunatly, yes, he is of the feline persuasion. But talking about him as if he is my SO is happening increasingly often. I love my cats. <3

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

I speak of mine as if they were my children, which is fair since I carry them around like babies.

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

Hyphe wrote:I am going to turn into a spinster with a brown sofa and hundreds of cats. It is inevitable. :(

Me too! Except my sofa's probably going to be green or something... But don't worry, cats are much more reliable than people. You feed them, they love you.

On shoes: I really should get a pair of something to make me taller. I got these really great pants yesterday, but if I wear them with my sneakers the backs with wear out. I hate being short.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

aging.child wrote:
Hyphe wrote:I am going to turn into a spinster with a brown sofa and hundreds of cats. It is inevitable. :(

Me too! Except my sofa's probably going to be green or something... But don't worry, cats are much more reliable than people. You feed them, they tolerate you.
Fix'd. I have no misconceptions. I know regardless of caring for them, our cats are likely plotting our demise.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

But that's what makes it fun! You wouldn't want such a simple love-love relationship that you get with a dog, you want complexity, and character!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

I expect that I'll be a cat lady without cats. So, you know, just alone.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

I will have reptiles and cats. 2 cats because I have 2 feet that need to be slept on. After that, as many reptiles as I can find room for. And maybe a dog, but only if I have a yard.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

I am a crazy dog lady already. The place I kenneled my puppy while I was on vacation have webcams so you can check up on your baby and has ridiculous options like having then fed spring water and chicken thighs. My Bo dog is a spoiled brat already, but he has no excuse. He is an 85 lb golden retriever. He's not supposed to be all spoiled. I'm apparently not supposed to rub lanolin into the pads of his feet when they get all dry and cracked in the winter. I'm not supposed to let him sleep in my bed. I'm not supposed to cuddle wuddle my wittle baby Bo.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

I'm afraid of dogs, so I probably won't be a dog lady. I like cats, but I'm not sure if I'll get one. I might. Probably will...

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

I'm a bird lady and they are all my babies! I don't much like cats, but I have one that I like, she isn't very cat-like. Dogs are cool too, my mom is a dog lady.

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

My granny breeds Great Pyrenees, which are these massive white dogs. She has 17 or so right now, and puppies due next week.

I think she wins a dog lady prize :)

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

a lifetime supply of raw bones and sweet potatoes!

My mom is a breeder and my goodness do some of her friends have a houseful! She only has 4 right now, the most we have had at one time is 10.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Did any of you gals gain weight on the pill?
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

I gained weight while on hormones.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:Did any of you gals gain weight on the pill?

Oh my god YES. I grew about two dress sizes in two weeks and it took me two years to shift it again. :(

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

My mom feels that I should be able to run it off. I think she's afraid of having two "fat" kids. My little sister may be pudgy, but she's always been that way. Plus, she's in five million sports at once. But honestly, 10 +/- lbs. :? :(

Spoiler:
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:

<3

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

As for shoes... I'd love to have something from the fluevog mini collection...
Spoiler:

They come in my foot size, but theres NO way I'm getting my calf into them. *sadness abounds*

Spoiler:

These are cute, but aren't in my shoe size (whopping 11. Joy)

Spoiler:

And, these are just outta my price range.. but Pink! I would wear these every day.

As for Cats.. I'm pissed off at mine. I think I'm gonna sew him a little cat sized diaper (he peed on the couch. GAH!)

Stressfully yours.
--Cashew

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

How tall are you?
For some people weight changes (if it happens often) are bad news. For other people (like me) +/- 10 pounds is just something random that happens all the time and is not noticeable.
But +10 on the pill, sort of to be expected.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

I'm 5'5"/6"

The weight isn't too noticeable, what I don't like is that my mom never seems to understand these female things.
"Mom, I can't use these tampons, they hurt"
Mom: Then you're using them wrong.

"Mom, I need more pads"
Mom: Why are you going through so many?

Me- I have a heavy flow
Mom- You're using them wrong. Now I will not buy you them when you need them.

:|

Spoiler:

Felstaff wrote:

<3

Return to “General”