Makeup 101

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shro
science genius girl

Re: Makeup 101

Postby Shro » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:47 pm UTC

lucrezaborgia wrote:Regarding makeup brushes. Once you get into a good routine, getting some good brushes really makes it all a lot easier and you tend to use a lot less makeup. Around this time of year, the makeup retailers are selling off their holiday brush travel kits and Sephora has a really good one.

Eyelid primer is great too!

Ever since I started using gel eyeliner and a flat eyeliner brush, I never went back. Sponges are breeding grounds for bacteria if you think about it too hard, and with brushes, you can just shampoo them, or spray them with some rubbing alcohol between washes (like if you were to put some makeup on your friend's face with your brushes.)

This is the moment where you decide whether you want make up to be a hobby, or just that one thing you do every once in awhile. Makeup brushes can be a pretty big investment. I've been adding to my brush and makeup collection for a very long time. A decade even! This is also a hobby that can take up a lot of space. Continuing the list of "cons", when people start telling you with more frequency how good you look after you started wearing more makeup, it can be disheartening. Or people who think you're wearing too much makeup. Ultimately, it is your decision what you're going to do with your face, no matter how strongly other people feel that they have some right in saying what you do with your own body *ahem*. It can also be hard to remember that you're beautiful anyway. Remember that the beauty industry makes it's money on making you forget that you're beautiful. I said "forget" and not "believe" because I have hope that if you don't know you're beautiful, you're remember it soon. Tl;dr: Fuck the haters, do what you want.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:00 pm UTC

I got a flat iron! I...got it at a thrift store for $1.49. I know people probably think that's kind of gross, but I am going to clean it off with alcohol, and it gets really hot, so I don't think it's going to be harboring anything icky. I just didn't have the money to basically experiment with. If it turns out I really like it, I will splurge on a nice one, or I will ask for one for my birthday or something. In the mean time, soon I will see if I can actually make my hair awesomely wavy without spending upwards of an hour. When I do my hair with a curling iron, it takes literally hours for all of the hair. I have some mousse that I sometimes put in my damp hair and then blowdry if I want lots of volume...what kind of product am I supposed to use for this sort of thing?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

jillton

Postby jillton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:45 pm UTC

@natashatasha It's too late for me to start doing make-up and taking pics, I'll post some when I have time, but I think I might have the same colouring as you - lightish brownish hair, pale skin & blue eyes.

Depending on my mood/time in the morning sometimes I just lash on a pile of mascara (I always always always use white eye-liner on lower lids too, I feel like it makes a huge difference to my eyes, but that could just be in my head).
I use a black gel eyeliner, for daytime/work I go for quite a thin line just to add some definition, but at night time I like to go more dramatic. The rest of my make-up tends to be really natural so I like to do something slightly more "dramatic" for a night out.

When it comes to black eye-liner/pale skin/blue eyes you DO have to be careful, I spent most of my teenage years looking unintentionally kind of gothy because I was over-doing it. If you can control how thick/thin you're lining your eye it can make ALL the difference in the world.

Also re: pale skin - because I'm so pale if I don't put any blush on I look like I'm dead. I go for quite pinky hues with blush - this is a particularly great tip for if I'm tired/hungover, it just adds some life onto my face.

As for foundation I use a Bobbi Brown one, I strayed from it once to try a mac foundation and I hated it! It matches my skin perfectly so it doesn't really look like I'm wearing any make-up (a look I strive for, I hate when foundation looks obvious if that makes sense? Make-up is about enhancing, not hiding.), it has SPF25 in it, it's moisturising AND smells like lavender!!! It's a little bit pricey, but when you put this stuff on your face every-day you want to be sure it's doing good things for your skin...
"you get sloppy drunk, I stay whiskey neat"

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:57 am UTC

PicSar, I use a random straight-hair-type gel or gel mousse in wet hair, then blow-dry with a big round brush to get things tidy. The flat iron is quick and simple for me since my hair is already straight (just need to get the weirdo hairs to behave) and not very thick. No extra gel stuff after the blow dry, though I do spritz a bit of hair spray on top of my head to flatten the stubborn frizzies there.

You can grab a lot of hair at once with a flat iron, though it will mostly be working the hair that the irons are in contact with. For $1.49, just spend a while one day playing around and see what works. More expensive irons will be smoother (less hair-catchy) and might get hotter, but that's about it.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

I used to iron friends' hair with an actual iron.

About makeup brushes, I don't believe that you absolutely have to wear all the time to have a wide variety. I'm just an occasional wearer and I have a few key brushes. They are a bit expensive but they last a long time if well cared for (I wash mind with Cetaphil daily face wash).

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

My hair is super, super straight, so the purpose of the flat iron is actually to try and curl/wave my hair. We shall see.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:My hair is super, super straight, so the purpose of the flat iron is actually to try and curl/wave my hair. We shall see.

Do you have one of the ones with the rounded edges?

I made this thing:

mayhaps

Postby mayhaps » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

Question about stuff for the face (concealer, mainly, I suppose): I would like to cover up zits and scars, but I also have LOTS of freckles that I don't want to dull or cover. Obviously green concealer is the logical option, but is there a way I can use it that won't mess with my freckles?

jillton

Postby jillton » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm UTC

Mayhaps - Don't use concealer all over your face, just where the red areas are.
I love that you DON'T want to cover your freckles, a girl I was in college with caked on make-up to hide her freckles. I think freckles are gorgeous. I love summer, 'cause that's the only time I get any kind of visible freckles.

Edit:
I have a question about false eye-lashes!
When the whim comes over me to buy fake eyelashes I usually buy these ones I adore them!! Mainly because I can't cut full falsies right, they save me having to do this, and they kinda give my eyes an Audrey Hepburn-ish look that I really like.

But because they're MAC they're kinda pricey - are there any less pricey brands which sell similar lashes? I've gone to Boots and a few other places but I can't find any that are short lashes like these... Suggestions?

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 pm UTC

Thank you all for your suggestions & advice! Sorry I took so long to respond, but I do have a few questions of things I don't quite understand ...

Virtual_Aardvark, you said that some women only wear foundation for day to day business — does this mean that you can just wear it by itself? I thought it was some sort of base coat, like when you're painting Warhammer.

Cathyyou say 'the first squeezing of your hair'. I've never had hair even down to my shoulders (I've started growing it, though), so it needs squeezing? And if it's your first, does it need squeezing more than once? Is there any method to squeezing it (such as in sections), or do you just pull it all into a ponytail and wring it?
I tried doing the bun, by the way, and it seems a very practise-makes-perfect thing, and I'm sure it will get better as my hair gets longer. However, the question I had about this is wrt drying. You said that you "tie it up as it dries ", does this mean you leave it to dry somewhat beforehand and then tie it up? Or tie it up immediately. Do you only let it down when it's perfectly dry, or when it's still a little damp?
I just wanted to finish by saying you like really pretty in those photos, and I hope I turn out half as good looking ^_^

PM 2Ring, that's the longest post I've ever seen, and doesn't leave me much to ask ^.^ I do intend to go for permanent hair removal, since I'm already 21 I do have a beard. I do hope to go on hormones by the end of next month, just need to talk to my parents and make an appointment with a new GP for it.
For moisturiser, you suggest using vitamin E cream ... I do have vitamin E oil (needed it to minimise scarring after an operation), would that work?

Sorry if that's hard to read, I couldn't figure out how to indent paragraphs. Tab makes me select a button, and it automatically deletes extra spaces. I almost considered using the list function for it.

Thanks to everyone again for your suggestions and recommendations, this thread is work of brilliance and the denizens of this forum such beautiful people ♥
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:32 pm UTC

natashatasha wrote:PM 2Ring, that's the longest post I've ever seen, and doesn't leave me much to ask ^.^ I do intend to go for permanent hair removal, since I'm already 21 I do have a beard. I do hope to go on hormones by the end of next month, just need to talk to my parents and make an appointment with a new GP for it.
For moisturiser, you suggest using vitamin E cream ... I do have vitamin E oil (needed it to minimise scarring after an operation), would that work?

I've been writing computer programs for several decades, so I've had a bit of practice at writing lists of instructions. :)

Straight vitamin E oil might work for you as a moisturizer, but it might be a bit oily under a water-based foundation. A moisturizer's job is to protect the skin and make it softer and more pliable, and to slow down the evaporation of the skin's water content. Most moisturizers use oils in their composition, but they also have other ingredients that make them water-soluble.
A jar or bottle of generic vitamin E cream or moisturizer from the supermarket will only cost a couple of bucks and it'll last for quite a while. Not only is it nice on your face, it's also good for your hands, feet and nails.

Since you have have pale skin you should be using some sort of product to protect it, even while in boy mode. The use of sunscreen is important in most parts of Australia, especially in summer. And in winter, a moisturizer will help protect your face from the cold dry Canberra winds.

natashatasha wrote:Sorry if that's hard to read, I couldn't figure out how to indent paragraphs. Tab makes me select a button, and it automatically deletes extra spaces. I almost considered using the list function for it.

Most forum software automatically removes extra spaces. The only way to get around that
    involves
          the use
                 of magic. :)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure someone said in the Hair thread that it was a bad idea to pull wet hair into a ponytail. Because hair is weak when it's wet and you'll just pull it out.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

meridian

Postby meridian » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I'm pretty sure someone said in the Hair thread that it was a bad idea to pull wet hair into a ponytail. Because hair is weak when it's wet and you'll just pull it out.

...and you'll get that unfortunate ponytail tie crimp.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:10 pm UTC

I wanted to show everyone a couple of things.
First think is smokey eye redux, with natural color lips.
Spoiler:

This is the SAME smokey eye in the previous picture I posted, with a more natural lip. Notice that a lot of eyeshadow doesn't actually look like a ton of eyeshadow when the eyes are open.

Here is a look achieved with exactly 7 items (5 products, 2 tools). Gel eyeliner, lip color, tinted foundation, bronzer, mascara, flat eyeliner brush, powder brush.
Spoiler:

I have to show you my creeper eyes to show you how thick the line actually is:
Spoiler:

I will make an application post soon.

I made this thing:

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

Your creeper eyes are amazing. Just saying.

Natashatasha, you can absolutely go out with just foundation (or no makeup at all obvs). It's main function is to even out skin and hide blemishes. So while you can put a ton on top there's no requirement. A lot of women I know with blotchy skin or acne scars don't like dealing with the whole eyes, lips thing but still want smooth skin. Personally I skip the foundation and just do eyes for day to day*. There's no hard rules for makeup. It's all what makes you feel pretty or dramatic or sultry or whatevs.

*I only really own foundation because my boy has a habit of making my neck look like I was mauled by a raccoon or something. Walk of shame FTW.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

For the life of me I cannot pull off the smokey eyes look. My eyelids just aren't that large and the skin folds in on itself right above the lashline on my left eye...does that even make sense?

jillton

Postby jillton » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

It does!! My eyes do the same!

That's why I tend to go for one colour all over and drama things up with eye-liner & falsies.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:27 am UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:Natashatasha, you can absolutely go out with just foundation (or no makeup at all obvs).
I dunno. Prominent beard shadow, especially with pale skin, doesn't look very feminine, IMHO. Personally, I feel more comfortable going out en femme when I've made some effort to hide my beard shadow, but I don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion on the pros & cons of trans women "passing".

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

That's actually a fair point. I have very little experience covering beard shadow outside of theater and can't really advise on passing. I guess it's more relevant to say that you can go out with just coverup and foundation etc, but still skip eyes, cheeks and lips.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

lucrezaborgia wrote:For the life of me I cannot pull off the smokey eyes look. My eyelids just aren't that large and the skin folds in on itself right above the lashline on my left eye...does that even make sense?

I'm Chinese, so this is pretty much the situation I'm in. I'm tentatively experimenting with this. So far the solution seems to be lots of mascara, and pretty colors focused on the parts of the eyelid that are actually visible. When the tutorials tell me to put a particular color in the crease, I use that color to sweep out the angle of my eye instead.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:44 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
lucrezaborgia wrote:For the life of me I cannot pull off the smokey eyes look. My eyelids just aren't that large and the skin folds in on itself right above the lashline on my left eye...does that even make sense?

I'm Chinese, so this is pretty much the situation I'm in. I'm tentatively experimenting with this. So far the solution seems to be lots of mascara, and pretty colors focused on the parts of the eyelid that are actually visible. When the tutorials tell me to put a particular color in the crease, I use that color to sweep out the angle of my eye instead.

I have the same trouble (talked about it in my post last thread) and I do what podbay does. anything i want to show goes up higher.

You can get this stuff that makes eyeshaddow stay on the lid even as it folds up, but I still dont see the point because...no one is going to see it except for the moments i blink.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:37 am UTC

Pod, if you Google "Smokey Asian Eyes," there are a lot of tutorials, so if you want that look it seems like you can get it.

Shro, I'm not sure what you mean, exactly, re: the flat iron. I looked at it, and it seems like the edges aren't sharp, they're sort of rounded...maybe I should take a picture. Anyway, I watched umpteen million tutorials on Youtube, and tried to curl my hair, and it didn't do a damn thing, so I must be doing it wrong. :(

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:54 am UTC

Does the iron get hot enough? Mine has a variable temperature setting. 420F (third-lowest setting) seems to work for my fine hair, though if I'm not careful the curled-under ends will look a bit angle-ish rather than rounded. I think it has higher settings than that which might work for thicker hair.

Try taking a small section of hair, maybe what's growing from one square inch's worth of scalp near the top (for lack of a less awkward way of describing it). Can you do the pinch-turn-wait-slide thing on that little section and make it curl in any way?

I just tried a temperature test on my iron. At the 420F setting, a mid-sized drop of water (dripped carefully off of a toothbrush handle) immediately started floating on its own steam and took five to ten seconds to evaporate completely.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

CVS is having a sale on Revlon stuff, it's Buy one get one 50% off. On top of that, if you spend $30, you'll get a $10 CVS cash card. Good time to stock up on Revlon stuff (I like their eyeliner,the kind that twists out, and the eyeshadow quads they have are really great, especially for beginners, because they're so blendable.)

I made this thing:

jillton

Postby jillton » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:23 am UTC

Just for fun I thought I'd post my make-up "routine", I've been sick the last few days and haven't worn make-up so thought I'd just snap each step as I was doing it.

This is my day-to-day make-up, although my "night time" make-up is pretty much the same with just more eye-liner and shadow.

So this is after I've cleansed and moisturised. I use "The Pore-fessional" by Benefit as a primer. I don't really have an issue with pores but I was running out of my last primer and I love, love. love this one.

Spoiler:

After I let that set for a minute or two I go for foundation. I use Bobbi Brown "moisture rich" in porcelain. I apply it with the smashbox brush in the photo.

Spoiler:

Next up I line my eyes using white eye-liner

Spoiler:

The lighting in my room was off so you can't really see the blush - you can't in the next room I moved into either, oh well. I use cream blush (shade 05) by lancome. I think I said before that because I'm so pale I look ridic without blush on.

Spoiler:

Next up is eyebrow colour. I use BrowZings from Benefit. I used to get my brows waxed & tinted because they're so light, but on days where I don't wear make-up it looks really ridiculous, so my sister got me this stuff for my birthday. I love it!

Spoiler:

After brows I do eye-shadow, again I use Benefit, a shade called "Bossy". I don't really do any shadey stuff. I usually use my fingers to even it out. I use the MAC brush shown to apply it (239SE) for those interested.

Spoiler:

Next up is eye-liner. I was using a liquid liner that I loved, but then I lost it on a night out. A friend recommended this Maybeline stuff to me, "lasting drama gel liner" in black. I only line the upper lid it just suits me better not to line the lower lid as well.

Spoiler:

Final step is mascara, again, I use Benefit, "they're real", a friend was wearing it one night and I genuinely thought she was wearing fake eye-lashes. I went out and bought this stuff the next day. I really like it.

Spoiler:

And that's it! I don't usually wear lipstick, just some vaseline or carmex or the like.

I do have translucent powder from MAC (mineralize skinfinish in light medium) which is a god send on sweaty nights out!!

I don't know if you can see in the photos what my hair is doing, but I have kinda wavyish hair (if it were left to it's own devices) because it's not wavy enough to be nice natural I tend to blow dry it straight. Then I use a GHD (good hair day, flat hair iron) to put in some "movement" at the ends 'cause I just don't think straight hair suits me.

Anyway! That's me & my make-up. I'm open to any questions/suggestions =)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:48 pm UTC

Does anyone have some tips on how I should do eyeshadow? My eyelids don't really seem to show much because there's a lot of flesh in the way (have pictures to explain what I mean - I know I'm not describing it very well).

Spoiler:
P1010927.JPG
Whole face

P1010929.JPG
Looking straight ahead

P1010930.JPG
Looking slightly down
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:54 pm UTC

You could put eye shadow on the part of skin between the eyelids and eyebrows. :)
I sometimes do that, it may look quite good if done correctly :wink:

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:22 am UTC

A a few dozen pairs of photos of Russian women with and without make up. As far as I can tell, these photos haven't been photoshopped.
http://englishrussia.com/2012/02/01/makeup-magic/

The shots mostly feature "glamour" makeup. I can't say that I agree with all of the makeup choices illustrated, but I'm sure these ladies were pleased with the results. Some of the comparisons are quite startling, and you wouldn't necessarily guess that they were photos of the same person.

AnnaArmour

Postby AnnaArmour » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:16 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Some of the comparisons are quite startling, and you wouldn't necessarily guess that they were photos of the same person.

I agree.:? They don't look better or worse, just very different.

Re: eyelids, I came across this blog, called "monolid love", a while back. It's for Asian women, but the point is you don't have to have a certain eye shape to wear cool makeup.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:47 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:A a few dozen pairs of photos of Russian women with and without make up. As far as I can tell, these photos haven't been photoshopped.

The shots mostly feature "glamour" makeup. I can't say that I agree with all of the makeup choices illustrated, but I'm sure these ladies were pleased with the results. Some of the comparisons are quite startling, and you wouldn't necessarily guess that they were photos of the same person.

This has convinced me I need someone who knows stuff about makeup to teach me how to make myself look older. I think a lot of people who looked relatively young looked much older and mature with makeup. I've often had problems where people do not believe that I am 22 years old and insist that I'm in high school. No, I'm a senior in college, not a sophomore in high school!

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:24 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:This has convinced me I need someone who knows stuff about makeup to teach me how to make myself look older. I think a lot of people who looked relatively young looked much older and mature with makeup. I've often had problems where people do not believe that I am 22 years old and insist that I'm in high school. No, I'm a senior in college, not a sophomore in high school!

Make-up transformation. [Her name is Mihalik Enikő].
It is apparently possible :)

However, do you really want that?
Spoiler:
I look a few years younger, too. Some people (female mostly :lol: ) tried to make fun of me/make me feel bad based on that, but I didn't really give much of a shit.
If you're having problems such as people not wanting to let you into clubs, carry your ID card with you at all times. However, if it's mostly friends/acquaintances that you have to deal with (like me), screw them. I mean, what I do in that kind of situation: say "look, nothing is wrong with my face. if you don't like it, you might as well turn your head around or close your eyes. i like the way i look, and i don't care about your opinion on my looks". Sometimes I even show them my ID card with the "it says here, fucker, now buzz off" attitude.

If you yourself would like to look older, then it's a different issue. But don't base your opinion on your looks on other people's opinions. :wink:

You can always give it a shot to see whether you like how it looks, whether it's too time-consuming, etc.

Just don't sweat the small stuff :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:A a few dozen pairs of photos of Russian women with and without make up. As far as I can tell, these photos haven't been photoshopped.

It's an out-of-context makeup artist's portfolio (Third link from the top on the right). The woman's business is Bridal Makeup. I think she does hair too. So.. yeah, the glamour part is somewhat the point.

She also does guys.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:15 pm UTC

I like her male make-up better then the female make-up :)

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:04 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:This has convinced me I need someone who knows stuff about makeup to teach me how to make myself look older. I think a lot of people who looked relatively young looked much older and mature with makeup. I've often had problems where people do not believe that I am 22 years old and insist that I'm in high school. No, I'm a senior in college, not a sophomore in high school!

Make-up transformation. [Her name is Mihalik Enikő].
It is apparently possible :)

However, do you really want that?
Spoiler:
I look a few years younger, too. Some people (female mostly :lol: ) tried to make fun of me/make me feel bad based on that, but I didn't really give much of a shit.
If you're having problems such as people not wanting to let you into clubs, carry your ID card with you at all times. However, if it's mostly friends/acquaintances that you have to deal with (like me), screw them. I mean, what I do in that kind of situation: say "look, nothing is wrong with my face. if you don't like it, you might as well turn your head around or close your eyes. i like the way i look, and i don't care about your opinion on my looks". Sometimes I even show them my ID card with the "it says here, fucker, now buzz off" attitude.

If you yourself would like to look older, then it's a different issue. But don't base your opinion on your looks on other people's opinions. :wink:

You can always give it a shot to see whether you like how it looks, whether it's too time-consuming, etc.

Just don't sweat the small stuff :)

It's mainly that when I go to job interviews, presentation, etc, people never assume I'm the person they want because I look too young. It was evidently a problem with my parents too - everyone freaked out when they saw my mom was pregnant, even though my mom was 25 and my dad 26 - everyone seemed to think my parents were 18 or so. I think a large part of it is my acne because my skin really does look like a 13 year old's. Basically, I don't look competent when I first enter a room because I look young - it's not because of how I present myself, I've been told multiple times, I just actually look quite young. As I'll be heading out into the 'real world' next year, it would be nice to have the ability to make myself look older if I wanted.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

I understand. Then I wish you the best of luck :)
There are probably some nice tutorials on the Internet :wink:

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:43 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's an out-of-context makeup artist's portfolio (Third link from the top on the right). The woman's business is Bridal Makeup. I think she does hair too. So.. yeah, the glamour part is somewhat the point.

Ta, ST. I had a feeling that it was something like that, and I guess in retrospect that there is a similarity in style that indicates that the makeup jobs were all done by the same artist.

I see. This is a little bit tricky, since standard makeup techniques tend to make adult faces look more youthful, although theatre makeup people have a few tricks to make faces look older, but it's hard to do properly without making yourself look merely run-down. But a good beauty therapist should be able to help.

In the mean time, I have a few suggestions. You currently give people the impression that you are younger than your chronological age. To counteract that impression, you need to present cues that are generally associated with older women. Appropriate makeup can be part of that, but to maximize your success you need to consistently present as an older woman, and that means you need to work on the whole package - your style of dress, your hairstyle, your body language, and even the way you speak. Older women tend to dress more conservatively, are less animated in their gestures, and their tone of voice is less "sing-songy" than younger women. And of course they are less inclined to use the latest slang terms and idioms that the teenagers are using.

Do you wear makeup every day, or only on special occasions? If you only rarely wear makeup it's unlikely that you'll look like you've been wearing it every day for a decade or so. :) Although many women like to keep up with the latest fashions in clothing and makeup there's also a strong tendency for a woman's style to be strongly influenced by the styles that were prevalent in her youth. So maybe you should watch some old movies and TV shows, and have a look at photos in old magazines to get inspiration for an older look that you'll feel comfortable with.

KestrelLowing wrote: I think a large part of it is my acne because my skin really does look like a 13 year old's.

Obviously, there's no simple universal solution to the problem of acne, or there wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar anti-acne industry. Some people find a change of diet helpful in reducing acne. Persistent acne can be hormone-related, so it might be an idea to discuss it with a doctor if you haven't already done so. On a related note, some people find that their acne is worse when they are feeling stressed.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:38 am UTC

Dear Makeup thread:
I think my eyes sort of slant downwards a bit at the outer edges, or perhaps it's just that my eyelids are on the saggier side and cover the tops of them? But anyway, when I put on eyeliner and mascara it seems to make it worse (image below!)... do you have any tips for lifting the outer corners? E.g. should I only put eyeliner on in certain places, certain ways?

Weird slanting eyes:
Spoiler:
DSCF2832 (Small).JPG

Also, my sister's getting married at the end of next month (excitement!), it will be a low-key, outdoors, autumn wedding on a small lawn surrounded by lots of trees (will probably all still have their leaves)... I've never really been to a wedding before, let alone one where I'm the sister of the bride and will be in the family photos, so I would love some suggestions about the style of make-up that might be good? Or eye shadow ideas? I very very much like the dress I've attached an image of (in royal blue), as presumably that would affect the idea make-up... but I'm not sure as to it's appropriateness and am having issues at the moment with the store only having size 10 and me apparently no longer being size 10 :(

Possible dress:
Spoiler:
547701_royalblue_m.jpg

Some of these I REALLY didn't like, like the woman about 14th up from the bottom. She's got a really gorgeous face with lots of character, and post make-up that prettiness and character seems to really be lost. I don't know much about make-up artistry, but it sort of seems like instead of working with and enhancing the individual beauty that many of these women possess, they all just get white-washed to end up looking like a barbie doll sort of stereotype.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

Got a question: how do you use hair gel? I've googled, and I can't find much beyond scrunching it through wet hair to control frizz/hold curls. My hair is straight, always dry when I'm putting it up, and I can't wash it every day.
So should I squidge gel through my hair, brush it out, and pin it up? Or brush and pin up, then put gel on the annoying little fuzzies behind my ears?

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

I'd put it up and then spray it actually. Gel is kindof gross and can fuck with your skin, I honestly haven't figured out who uses it beyond (aptly named) greasers. Alternately a light mousse could work.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:31 am UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:eye make-up with "slopping" eyes

I don't have the same eye shape as you, so can't say for sure. However, I think that you shouldn't let the line from your top lid touch the line on you bottom lid.
So the shape would look more like = than > at the outer edge of your eye.

You could try experimenting with having a small cat eye thing like
Spoiler:

I think that will give the illusion of having more "up" eyelid. Though, as with all make up tips, be sure to see if it works with your specific face.

Return to “General”