Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Utilitarian

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:In Swedish advertisement at the moment, everything is "fresh", and every product oozes an unmeasurable mystical quantity called "freshness". I'm not quite sure what this "freshness" is, and I suspect inhaling it may be dangerous.

Oh dear god dont' get me started about "freshness". It's everywhere here too.

Where to begin? Subway is one of the worst culprits here. I recall a now ancient subway commercial of a spokesman decrying the "freshness" of lettuce in a supermarket, because the stock boys there hadn't picked it. My mind explodes! As if the ingredients used at a fast food chain are even approaching being fresher than any average produce in the supermarket. They've now switched to saying that the sandwiches are "prepared fresh", but what sandwhich isn't? Even a hamburger is assembled when ordered.

And then of course there's the Febreeze products, that are, if we are to believe them, distilled freshness in liquid form! Why clean your furnature when you can simply mist it with ESSENCE OF FRESHNESS?

I suppose that's what happens when you have a word with strong positive associations but no clearly defined meaning.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:"...if you decide to move on from breast feeding..."
I've gotta know.. what commercial was that in?

What Whelan said. SMA something follow on milk.

BUY THIS OR YOUR BABY WILL NOT DEVELOP PROPERLY seems to be the angle most of these kinds of products go for.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

"Asthma, cancer, and lower IQ scores have all been linked to pesticides in the classroom..."
Wait, what? Really?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:09 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:In Swedish advertisement at the moment, everything is "fresh", and every product oozes an unmeasurable mystical quantity called "freshness". I'm not quite sure what this "freshness" is, and I suspect inhaling it may be dangerous.

Oh dear god dont' get me started about "freshness". It's everywhere here too.

Where to begin? Subway is one of the worst culprits here. I recall a now ancient subway commercial of a spokesman decrying the "freshness" of lettuce in a supermarket, because the stock boys there hadn't picked it. My mind explodes! As if the ingredients used at a fast food chain are even approaching being fresher than any average produce in the supermarket. They've now switched to saying that the sandwiches are "prepared fresh", but what sandwhich isn't? Even a hamburger is assembled when ordered.

And then of course there's the Febreeze products, that are, if we are to believe them, distilled freshness in liquid form! Why clean your furnature when you can simply mist it with ESSENCE OF FRESHNESS?

I suppose that's what happens when you have a word with strong positive associations but no clearly defined meaning.

This one is one of the worst abusers of "fresh" I've ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb57sA050Hw

I count:
9 x Fresh / Freshener
2 x Freshness
2 x Cooling Crystals (that supposedly explode in your mouth)

Though that's only the narrative. It's written a bunch of times as well.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:01 am UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:"Asthma, cancer, and lower IQ scores have all been linked to pesticides in the classroom..."
Wait, what? Really?
Also, drinking water and breathing air. Everyone with asthma has drank water. People with cancer? Air-breathers, the lot of them. And let's face it, people with low IQs can't help but eat roughly three meals worth of food a day, give or take based on individual circumstances.

Clearly, living is unhealthy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Walter.Horvath wrote:"Asthma, cancer, and lower IQ scores have all been linked to pesticides in the classroom..."
Wait, what? Really?
Also, drinking water and breathing air. Everyone with asthma has drank water. People with cancer? Air-breathers, the lot of them. And let's face it, people with low IQs can't help but eat roughly three meals worth of food a day, give or take based on individual circumstances.

Well 100% of people who have died WERE alive immediately before their deaths, and for a lengthy period of time preceding that death.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:40 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Wait, what? Really?

Not only that, but I'd love to see how that experiment/survey worked out.

"Okay, so the inner-city schools are regularly sprayed with pesticides."
"Great, that's one strata. Look here, I've found a sanitary school in Isleworth!"
*ZOMG survey* *Results=Mind+Blown*

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
Wait, what? Really?

Well 100% of people who have died WERE alive immediately before their deaths, and for a lengthy period of time preceding that death.

Clearly so-called "modern medical science" is a hoax, since they have completely failed to prevent anyone from dying. The best you can hope for is that your death will be delayed. Just long enough for you to do the government's bidding after they inject you with the mind control serum, I have no doubt. Rather than relying on these pompous snake-oil peddlers, I suggest we cull the entire human species. I can guarantee that if carried out successfully this will put an end to war, world hunger, crime, and human death.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

Ants wage war. I'm pretty sure there are some monkey societies with "policemen" so they have crime, species die out all the time and I'm sure some of it is from hunger.

/Buzzkill.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

According to a car insurance company, this year, three million teen drivers will be joining me on the road. And they'll be bad drivers, too, as you can tell because the commercial shows a kid playing the Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:07 am UTC

Briareos wrote:According to a car insurance company, this year, three million teen drivers will be joining me on the road. And they'll be bad drivers, too, as you can tell because the commercial shows a kid playing the Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi.

And very poorly, at that.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:56 am UTC

Ahahahahahahaaa... I wanna see this commercial now.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:07 am UTC

Also, it was a Hyundai commercial, not a car insurance commercial.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

feedme

Postby feedme » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

This isn't a commercial in the traditional sense, but I really hate the CNN ads for their upcoming pieces. They always involve some tragedy or something new wrong with something. Or they're completely insignificant but may get someone to watch. I dislike the news in general.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

"They do these teases: 'it could be the deadliest thing in the world and you might be having it for dinner. we'll tell you what it is, tonight at eleven.'
...is it peas?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBl9HixeWf4
about 2:52

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

How often do you think about the air you breathe? Oxygen - gas of life, or secret military death vapour? Tonight!

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

feedme wrote:This isn't a commercial in the traditional sense, but I really hate the CNN ads for their upcoming pieces. They always involve some tragedy or something new wrong with something. Or they're completely insignificant but may get someone to watch. I dislike the news in general.

One of our local news stations is like that. They hypersensationalize every story and commercial. It's incredibly annoying, and I have boycotted ever watching their news program. For example, when they launched their new show, they had all sorts of ads of the 'Oh me yarm, Oh me yarm, Oh me yarm, college kids are drinking!!!1!' variety. It turns out the local college hockey team(very popular here) had underage members that went to a bar and drank alcohol - aka, something probably 90% of college kids do. Somehow this required a week long report, undercover reporting, and hidden camera footage. Since then it's the standard 'This will kill you, tune in for more! Won't actually kill you, but you should still watch!'
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

feedme

Postby feedme » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

emceng wrote:One of our local news stations is like that. They hypersensationalize every story and commercial.

Exactly. I mean I know the news tries to show stories that people will want to watch for ratings, but it's just annoying they hype up every little story that turns out to be a big deal. Yesterday on CNN they were talking about some trivial thing and on the ticker at the bottom it showed "6 quake hits Turkey" but didn't talk about it (at least while I was watching between classes). I'm just sick of all the "our world is going to shit! We'll show you proof!" (Such as "Are recent string of quakes related??")

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

emceng wrote:For example, when they launched their new show, they had all sorts of ads of the 'Oh me yarm, Oh me yarm, Oh me yarm, college kids are drinking!!!1!' variety. It turns out the local college hockey team(very popular here) had underage members that went to a bar and drank alcohol - aka, something probably 90% of college kids do. Somehow this required a week long report, undercover reporting, and hidden camera footage.

Relevant link.

[he/him/his]

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

...it's not illegal for students to congregate or smoke in the laneway
What?! We need to get on this imediately!

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:14 am UTC

phlip wrote:How often do you think about the air you breathe? Oxygen - gas of life, or secret military death vapour? Tonight!

On Sick Sad World?

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:19 am UTC

phlip wrote:How often do you think about the air you breathe? Oxygen - gas of life, or secret military death vapour? Tonight!

You're not kidding, either. Or how about the evil water. Even sand seems pretty nasty.

Thankfully, the media hasn't clued in on these threats yet.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:21 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:

On Sick Sad World?

Not quite. (It was a tossup between posting that and this... there are more good ones, but I can't remember them, and they're not on that compilation.)

[he/him/his]

xepher

Postby xepher » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Considering the thread has gone on for 76 pages, someone's already mentioned evony, I'm guessing. Yeah... no explanation needed.
Also, Antidepressants may cause suicidal thoughts. What.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

It's true. One mechanism for this that has been investgated is some depressed people not having enough energy and motivation to be able to think about suicide.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

Yeah, someone explained it earlier in the thread. When you're depressed, you're not just sad/upset, you also have very little energy/motivation. Taking antidepressants makes you more energetic and motivated, but you still think your life sucks, so...
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

Right. I'm in that period right now where I'm at high suicide risk. The doctor gave another explanation: Antidepressants take 3-4 weeks to start working. If the depressed person isn't aware of this, they may think that their situation is unsolvable, because hey, it hasn't worked yet. That plus the higher energy sometimes equals suicide.

Also, if you take something like Prozac but were wrongfully diagnosed. Taking antidepressants while having Bipolar disorder is a huge no-no.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:08 pm UTC

And the above is why antidepressants are/should always be prescribed alongside a course of counselling.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 am UTC

The ads for 3's $19 cap are annoying me at the moment.

It says "what can you get for $19?", and shows a bunch of people buying all these cheap and nasty things. Then is says "or you could get all this, for just $19 a month!"

Well, wait a second now. There's a massive difference between $19 and $19 a month.

/angell

ETA: I'm experiencing some deja vu. Have I complained about this ad campaign before??
Last edited by GhostWolfe on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

lunchtime.samurai

Snobbish showerbaggery

Postby lunchtime.samurai » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:28 pm UTC

In Australia, Seven have been running some promos for the 'reality' tv show RSPCA Animal Rescue that start off with the tag-line 'Imagine if *your* pony fell down a hole.' I just love how it's left implicit that everyone watching Seven has a pony. [laughs]. Also, there are some little-screened Commonwealth Bank ads that have this polished voice artist telling me that 'customers want a reliable, convenient banking service that suits them.' No, Commonwealth Bank. I want a rickety, painful bank that only allows me to make withdrawals from Tuvalu in Zimbabwean dollars between 4 and 4.30 am on Thursdays.
Scenes from the dim, dusty, back corner of Omegle:
Stranger: He's a loving, sensitive man.
You: He's a neo-nazi.
Stranger: Your point being?

(Grammar and spelling repaired for your protection)

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:15 pm UTC

I think the Charmin bears campaign is poorly-conceived in general, bit I just saw one wherein two bears were fishing, and they use a single square of toilet paper to drain an entire lake then pick up every single fish there by hand. That's like the least responsible way possible to go fishing.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

The Home Depot commercials that say things like "cranking the Doing knobs" and "moving the Savings slider". In short, the idea that gerunds are liquids.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:51 am UTC

@Briareos
They're bears. Don't trust them with fish.
Ⓞⓞ◯

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

This wasn't a fallacy, but more of a WTF moment. There's a billboard along one interstate here that I saw last night. It had a cartoonized bald guy with big muscles wearing a tank top, with a caption along the lines of "It's your choice". Then above his head on one side was a banana, and on the other side was.....what looked like a credit card wearing a bib.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

feedme

Postby feedme » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

emceng wrote:This wasn't a fallacy, but more of a WTF moment. There's a billboard along one interstate here that I saw last night. It had a cartoonized bald guy with big muscles wearing a tank top, with a caption along the lines of "It's your choice". Then above his head on one side was a banana, and on the other side was.....what looked like a credit card wearing a bib.

haha, I wonder what that was an ad for?

Cane

Postby Cane » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:26 pm UTC

This is kind of an old one, but for a while Pizza Hut was advertising their new dishes as being "Restaurant Quality Pasta". Isn't a restaurant a place that serves prepared food? And thereby any pasta that is served by one of these establishments in exchange for legal tender can be deemed "Restaurant Quality"? So really what they are saying is that they admit that most of the stuff that they serve is much worse than other places, but they think this new stuff is good enough to be served in a place that you wouldn't be ashamed of.
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

feedme

Postby feedme » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

Cane wrote:This is kind of an old one, but for a while Pizza Hut was advertising their new dishes as being "Restaurant Quality Pasta". Isn't a restaurant a place that serves prepared food? And thereby any pasta that is served by one of these establishments in exchange for legal tender can be deemed "Restaurant Quality"? So really what they are saying is that they admit that most of the stuff that they serve is much worse than other places, but they think this new stuff is good enough to be served in a place that you wouldn't be ashamed of.

I think they're just using phrasing, which all ads do. Saying something like "restaurant quality" makes you think they're saying it's really good, but really, they're just saying what you said. Tons of commercials "say" things that don't actually mean anything.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

Pizza Hut is a restaurant, so they're just saying that their pasta is of the same quality as the pasta you would find in, say, Pizza Hut.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Tautologies FTW.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

Briareos wrote:Tautologies FTW.

Yeah, but they're tautological.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Return to “General”