F.lux - Night light mode your monitor!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Alseimik

F.lux - Night light mode your monitor!

Postby Alseimik » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

This has been posted deep inside some few threads, but its a greeeaaat piece of code, which change the brightness of your display between day and night. At first it may seem a bit of waste, and you will find the colours in the night light annoying, but after few nights you will not only get used to it, but LOVE it! it is really comfortable at night, you guys should check it out! :D

http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/

JoeyJo0

Re: F.lux - Night ligt mode your monitor!

Postby JoeyJo0 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

I'm using it now. It's really relaxing. Should help me with my sleeping.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Sat May 01, 2010 3:08 am UTC

It's pretty sweet, but has no effect on my external monitor, unfortunately. (If anyone has any idea how to diagnose or fix whatever's keeping it from changing both monitors on Ubuntu, it'd be nice to have some help.) At first, it's weird looking at such a pink display at night, but you get used to it. I'm going to leave it on for tomorrow, let's see how it runs over the course of a day.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

Dason

Postby Dason » Sat May 01, 2010 4:49 am UTC

DesperatMezures wrote: At first, it's weird looking at such a pink display at night, but you get used to it. I'm going to leave it on for tomorrow, let's see how it runs over the course of a day.

True. The first time I used it it took a few seconds to get used to and then it just sort of seemed natural. Then I decided I wanted to see how much of a difference it made so I killed it quick and then my eyes hated for me for a few seconds. In conclusion... I like it.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Visk

Postby Visk » Sat May 01, 2010 5:09 am UTC

Almost immediately after I turned it on I could feel my eyes relax. Now an hour later I don't notice the color difference as much and my eyes are still feeling fine. I'm going to see if I can use this at work.
I need some good avatar ideas...

Phoenix112358

Postby Phoenix112358 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:34 am UTC

I tried it, and like it better than the normal display. But I found that because (well, I'm guessing because) my screen viewing angle is so small it keeps changing between orangey light and bluey light when i move my head up/down/left/right, and it's a bit annoying. Otherwise, it'd be great

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sat May 01, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

I'm not sure if I like it. The "Patent pending" thing scares me.

I sent an e-mail to the author asking what, exactly, the "pending" patent covers, but have received no response.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat May 01, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

I kind of wish it had the option to be more customizable in terms of when it transitioned back and forth, rather than having to be set strictly for sunup/sundown.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 01, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:I'm not sure if I like it. The "Patent pending" thing scares me.

I sent an e-mail to the author asking what, exactly, the "pending" patent covers, but have received no response.

Cue European open source alternative in 3... 2... 1...
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sat May 01, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

I was going to edit my post, but got ninja'd.

I also think the "Day/night" cycle over-simplifies things if your goal is either of:
  • Reducing sleep disruption from "blue" light.
  • Matching colour temperature to the ambient light.

For the record, I am more concerned about sleep disruption from being in a windowless room all day/evening. The solution may be having something like this as your desktop picture. I have even started planning a video codec optimized for that kind of thing.

You, sir, name?, Europeans can just use the "closed source" version, unless the program deliberately stops working in European time-zones.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 01, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:You, sir, name?, Europeans can just use the "closed source" version, unless the program deliberately stops working in European time-zones.

(European because the EU doesn't recognize software patents)
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sat May 01, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

Patents cover ideas, not implementation. It is programmers in the US that would have to come up with some kind of work-around: if only we knew what the "patent pending" is supposed to cover. The design of the software implies the author was not aware of some of its implications/other possible uses.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun May 30, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Been using this for a couple of weeks now and I like it.

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun May 30, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

Been using it for a couple of months and I completely forgot I ever installed it. That's a good thing, right? However, I still adjust my screen brightness in the evening, so the effect of the program may be negligible.

Negligible. Negligligible. Negligibligibligible. What a strange word.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun May 30, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

It's weird when it switches but you forget in a minute or two. Who uses a 20 second transition and who uses an hour out of curiosity?
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun May 30, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

I use the 20-second transition (cause I like watching the monitor fade out to the soft-pinkish halogen glow), but for some reason I'm never at/looking at my monitor when it changes over :shock:

I thought I'd check it out, and I was using it on my netbook for a while (as I have a bad habit of sitting up with my netbook into the small hours of the morning), and I just find the dusky glow so pleasant that I wish it was always active.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Dason

Postby Dason » Sun May 30, 2010 10:30 pm UTC

When I used the program I used the hour transition. It made it so I didn't really notice it happening.

I stopped using the program though. I like the idea in principle. But in reality it makes me sleepy and that's part of the point of the program but if I'm on my computer at night it's for a reason and I don't want to go to bed. Well... sometimes I am just wasting time but sometimes I'm actually doing something productive.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon May 31, 2010 1:03 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:Patents cover ideas, not implementation.

Wouldn't this make any and all patents utterly pointless? If you can freely implement a patented idea, then just what does the patent cover?

Alseimik

Postby Alseimik » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:10 pm UTC

I'm using the 20 sec. mode. I like it when i goes that fast, i gives me a hint about the time.

And like GhostWolfe i'm fascinated by the transition! :D

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Hehe, mine just went then the thread updated.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

skellious

Postby skellious » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:44 pm UTC

I think its important to make absolutely clear that contrary to what the OP says, this does not change the brightness of your screen, only the colour temperature.

Ok, it wasn't that important i guess but people like me get quite pedantic...

/coat.
kerfuffleninja wrote: Minutes are the same length in Europe, right?

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

This actually sounds really cool, but it's specifically contraindicated for my set up :( Anyone know off hand if it's possible to only run in on one monitor of a multi display setup? I'd like to give it a shot, and running it on my non-calibrated monitor shouldn't cause issues.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

I've been using this for about a month on all of my computers and I love it.

1. It makes it a lot more pleasant to take my laptop to bed and get some night reading done.
2. I have been going to sleep significantly earlier, which, I must say, is awesome.
3. The evening mode is quite a beautiful color.
4. It's fun to see the difference in my desktop backgrounds during the day and night.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

I installed it about a month ago, decided I didn't like it, uninstalled it within a day or two, came back to it a few days later and have been using it ever since. I use the hour transition and reckon I wouldn't notice it happening but my keyboard reflects bright orange from my monitor almost as soon as the transition begins. It's really obnoxious.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

Maybe I should go back to it. I've been in the habit of staying up really late for basically no reason whatsoever lately and maybe it could help me out. During the semester I had a reason to stay up late. Right now? Not so much.

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:15 am UTC

I've only been using this for a single day/night cycle, and I'm absolutely loving it. I get almost no eyestrain by looking at my monitor at night.

I'm telling all of my friends and other forums about this.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:17 am UTC

Finally! I remember seeing it long ago, and then forgot about it until some two months ago, and I searched for it but couldn't find it. Thanks!
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:10 am UTC

I installed it and got really frustrated that my whole monitor would suddenly go orange at night I had a play around with the options and now I'm actually quite liking it. =]
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

The only drawback is there's no way to customise it on Linux, not even documentation for the command line :( I've switched to redshift now, since it's slightly easier to set up properly with penguins
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Something must be wrong with me... I installed this thing, and now I can't get to sleep before 5 AM. I'm sure it's unrelated, but still.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:57 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:Patents cover ideas, not implementation.

Wouldn't this make any and all patents utterly pointless? If you can freely implement a patented idea, then just what does the patent cover?

I think you misunderstood (INAL): With patents, a re-implementation of the invention, even if arrived at independently; is still subject to the patent. This is in contrast to Copyright law where the actual implementation or "fixation" of the work is important.

To get around copyright law, you would have to document what the software does, then have an independent team re-implement it. However, when patent law is involved, you may simply re-implement what ever is patented.

The way patents are supposed to work is that they solve a specific problem. If you want to "work around" the patent, you have to come up with a new way to solve the problem. It is likely that such a solution would be innovative and patentable; thus advancing technology.

The issue I have with this specific program is that I don't know exactly what problem they are trying to solve. I have thought of a potential solution for a possibly related problem, but I have no idea if it would infringe the "pending patent."

People operating in jurisdictions that do not recognize the Patent don't have to worry: they can either use the software as-is, or re-implement it if they want to avoid copyright concerns. I am not sure how software patents propagate out into the "International Patent" system.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:I installed it and got really frustrated that my whole monitor would suddenly go orange at night I had a play around with the options and now I'm actually quite liking it. =]

Is there an option besides less-orange? I turned down how orange my monitor gets at night but I'm curious to see if you found a better alternative.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

I've installed on two of my three computers and I rather like this. The orange coloring is quite pleasant.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Is there an option besides less-orange? I turned down how orange my monitor gets at night but I'm curious to see if you found a better alternative.

You can try turning up the color temperature of your monitor if it is set to ~5000K instead of 6500 or 9300K.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:14 am UTC

So this doesn't work well on Linux? It seems like something I could really use. I guess I could try to emulate it with the monitor settings and Compiz colour filters, but anything I have to manually activate will be quickly forgotten.

One thing I'd definitely want is to be able to disable it when watching video. I can imagine it being quite a distraction to have everything coloured differently than usual when trying to watch a movie, and most movies are too damn dark already.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:50 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:So this doesn't work well on Linux? It seems like something I could really use. I guess I could try to emulate it with the monitor settings and Compiz colour filters, but anything I have to manually activate will be quickly forgotten.

One thing I'd definitely want is to be able to disable it when watching video. I can imagine it being quite a distraction to have everything coloured differently than usual when trying to watch a movie, and most movies are too damn dark already.

It works well, but there's no GUI or easy way to do the settings, alas :( There is redshift for penguin-land, which is very similar and has a tray icon (that doesn't do much yet)
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

The Scyphozoa

Re: F.lux - Night light mode your monitor!

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:25 am UTC

Hey, does anyone know if there's a way to stop it from running automatically? F.lux is one possible suspect for some video games going black at random intervals, but I still want to use it, just without it ever running before running the game. So, can I disable it running on startup, but still have it installed to run when it gets late?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:09 am UTC

There should be on option to disable it for an hour. You should be able to just quit and restart it as well. I'm using it on a Mac, and these are just options in the menu bar (see spoilered screenshot). I have no idea how it works on Windows, but I can't imagine it is much different.

Spoiler:
screenshot 2010-07-31 at 1.29.41 AM.png
screenshot 2010-07-31 at 1.29.41 AM.png (32.15 KiB) Viewed 4610 times

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

Exactly, it's just that I'm anal about processes taking up computer memory, and I always feel that something never having been opened is better than opening it and then closing it.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

If you're on a Mac, then you could theoretically set up cron jobs to start and stop it.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Return to “General”