Has anyone tried the 28 hour day?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Re: Has anyone tried the 28 hour day?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:04 am UTC

i submit that it works, though i did 22 awake, 6 asleep, and not always exactly because like some i don't go to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday. maybe one every wek or two i'd sleep in. i did this for a year, it worked with my work schedual, and it wasn't planned so much as i noticed a pattern, noticed it worked, and then decided to stick with it. however i am a being who could get an average of 5 hours of sleep a day for a month and still function well
ImageImageImageImageImage

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:11 pm UTC

I've always wanted to try something like this just to see what would happen but I have a feeling it would render me completely non-functional pretty quickly. I have always needed large amounts of regular sleep. I think my best sleep pattern would be if I could sleep for 7hrs at night (e.g. from 11pm to 6am) and then have a 1hr nap in the afternoon. that way I would get an extra hour of morning time when i am most productive and could sleep through my mid-afternoon sugar crash were nothing gets done anyway. Stupid full time job prevents this though...
Without me the world would be doomed.

RandomString

Postby RandomString » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

I had a friend of mine try this once. He also tried something similar to Uberman (though it was 4 core hours per night, plus 20 minute naps every once and a while). Sufficed to say, it did not work well for him.

During the 28 hour day month, he would fall asleep randomly unless he was kept actively engaged in some activity. During the Uberman-like schedule, he wouldn't fall asleep randomly, but instead never wake up properly from the naps. They might work for some people, but at the very least, not for my friend.

thejohnnykingshow

Postby thejohnnykingshow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:15 am UTC

Yes, I have tried it extensively, and it works just fine for me, for working and athletic training. I found it only by experimenting. I had a totally dark quiet room I could sleep in any time, and I worked until I felt tired, and slept until I felt rested, and working 18 hrs and sleeping 10 is what resulted. If you listen to your body you won't hurt your health. It works out to a week of six days instead of seven. If we lived on a planet with a 28 hr diurnal cycle, that's how we would wake or sleep. It's just important that you sleep enough and go to through all the stages of normal sleep.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

I tried it last summer, but ended up canceling it halfway through due to the arrival of extended family from out of state. I plan to try again after classes end, and hopefully plan it better so I don't end up with that happening again.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:27 am UTC

When I have no schedule pressure, I naturally fall into a 25-hour cycle for about a few days, which then gets reset.

abb3w

Postby abb3w » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:06 am UTC

Just in case anyone ever looks back to this old thread….

I spent about four years on it, ten years back, working "spin cycle" at a 24-hour restaurant to give the other shift managers days off. The sleep cycle isn't hard to maintain, given blackout curtains for sleeping and a source of bright light for "morning". However… there may have been side effects. It probably exacerbated my tendency to depression, and was hell on my social life.

If you're relatively young, have a tendency to stay up late, there's no personal or family history of depression or bipolar conditions, and other time commitments allow it, feel free to experiment. However, I'd strongly recommend against it for anyone with such history; and at the very least, make sure you have an extremely good friend or three who are on normal schedules stopping by for sanity checks, ready to intervene if the sanity check bounces.

Essah

Postby Essah » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

I've kinda done this during summer breaks before, except it wasn't a planned out thing. It just happened because I had nothing telling me to go to bed or to get up. Most days it was something like 26 hour day
11 hours sleep and 14-15 hours awake. during the course of the time I did that I've probably woken up at every possible hour of the day and night.
Conclusion I can draw is that it makes your sleep horribly inefficient. partly because you're sleeping when its not dark and partly because you aren't running a steady pattern. (well you are but your body don't recognize 26 hour day as a pattern)
I'm now working 7 hours each day and doing a fairly normal 8½ hour sleep and 15½ hours awake and not feeling particular tired at any point. (surprised me too, I thought for sure my body somehow were incapable of that)
So I don't think it's recommendable. Luckily it was only for about a month at a time so hopefully I haven't taken any real damage, but if you're in a time where you feel yourself needing social interaction to stay happy, don't do it. It can increase your tendency to feeling down.

I would recommend your mom though (had to :D )

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:23 pm UTC

I haven't done the 28 hour day, but I did release my cycle from the solar cycle one summer. I got up (and stayed up) later and later, until I settled into a 9-5 cycle where I was sleeping from 9am to 5pm. I was unable to break out of this, and it was quite inconvenient, as I was pretty much isolated from interaction with the normal world (such interaction is useful for things like shopping and such). I was really surprised at how difficult it was to scooch even an hour or two in either direction.

I broke free when the academic year restarted, and never tried it again.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:32 pm UTC

I don't know... whenever I'm awake for 30ish hours at a time I'll randomly sleep for 18 hours without even paying attention to my alarm. I guess you could get used to it, but any schedule that's off from the norm is going to send you completely out of whack for when you need to go back to standard again.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

Earlier this year I was working at a wholesale bakery doing the night baking shift, and I fell into a bi-phasic cycle. Shifts were 6pm-4am approx, leaving me with the following schedule:

10:00 - Wake up
17:00 - Sleep
17:30 - Wake, Work
04:00 - Sleep

etc. I was on this for about 8 months, and I found the power nap did wonders. if I missed it though, I'd be drousy for the rest of the day, even on weekends.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

DenisL704

Postby DenisL704 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:08 am UTC

I once did 6 hours on, 6 hours off for about 4 months straight in the navy. Also did 8 hours on, 8 hours off for maybe a month. After not seeing the sun for a while you sort of lose the concept of "day" and "night".

Return to “General”