Spam

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hex

Spam

Postby Hex » Fri May 04, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

Okay, so I've been honestly wondering ..

pencil Pearl! crawl Little sworn rub Pearl! Where are you?In fact, overcome adown knelt the slimy correct vista of the garden avenue, a n stare No, felt Hester, no! cake swing replied the clergyman. There islisten YES BECAUSE HE receive NEVER DID sense A learn THING LIKE THAT BEFORE
(Bella goes attempt uptight to loss the warn table to count the money whileBELLA bitter Do loss you want rejoice me to liquid call the police?
bed GOVERNOR BELLINGHAM, condition in push a loose grew gown and easy cap- Pearl, whose activity dirty of nail water wear spirit never flagged, had Behind anxiously the travel reign Governor leaped and Mr. Wilson came two other harmony theyre all so speedily tire different Boylan winter talking about the s
consist BOYLAN squeal bumps stare surely from the car ticket and calls loudlyFLORRY art voice (Strives nearly heavily to need rise.) Ow! My foot's as BLOOM fat O, I day onto lay know. Bulldog on the premises. But he's BELLA, ZOE. greedily arch KITTY, LYNCH, BLOOM error step (Chattering and sq
yes I think he sugar map stormy made them let a bit firmer sucking them Her smoke final employment was store to way gather race sea-weed, of va pig sigh The porter Governor, in step advance of his visitors, ascended I band over wonder tired if mother will ask me what beam it means? th One suddenly of his clerical promise attack brethren- filthy it was the venerable
STEPHEN gentle drum (At the pianola, making a lupine box gesture of abhorguide BLOOM wail cow (In a flunkey's plum fly plush coat and kneebree BOYLAN (Tosses him store bright medium sixpence.) Here, cry to buy yoursel building BELLA swum lain (Angrily.) from Trinity! Coming down here ragging box BLOOM rat (Urgently.) And tendency if it wonderful were your own son in O
drain Hester library Prynne looked into his breathe add face, but hesitatedquestion bomb tonsorial Bellingham, for motion the last few moments, had kept ancure employ frseeeeeeeefronnnng train glamorous boldly somewhere whistling the break square What have describe we moaning here? said Governor Bellingham, loo
hungry Mulveys learn was the first below when tail I was in bed that morni name Such healthy a friend eat as thou hast even stitch now wished for, Just then, stung she astragatar heard her mother's act homely voice, and flitt cladistic The minister started ant to his feet, pipe forsook gasping for brea He poised building turned towards the scaffold, pour heart and stretched fort BLOOM string coil Thank you, sir. Yes, trade recognise sir, Madam Tweedy is in
gun ZOE pontal reflect (Lifting up her pettigown and off folding a half sMARION plug He ought to loose stretch feel himself mind highly honoured. (stank BELLA (Almost measure rail scare speechless.) Who are you incog? distinct LYNCH (Lifting meat Kitty from wind rule the table.) Come! pump BOYLAN raise (A merry bovine twinkle in forsaken his eye.) Topping!
Ay, indeed! decay heat cried good pain found old Mr. Wilson. What lit who forbade concentrate uptight knows is there anything comb the matter with my ins dull no thats no way scale for him swept has he no pen manners nor no r
My little Pearl, deserve made said Hester, after opinion property a moment's s The minister sex kneel thought had inquired prick of Hester, with no littl year anxiously Ha! What type sayest thou! cried he. attention An enemy! And u wild vivaciously I am mother's child, juicy hair answered the scarlet vision briefly The shave angle excitement of Mr. Dimmesdale's pump feelings, as he fast dealt cry BELLA What? self What is it?

Are spammers retarded?

How the fuck can they even imagine anyone looking at their image advertising some online pharmacy if they just send randomly generated gibberish? At least back in the nineties spammers could at the very least write semi-convincing, credible looking junk mail.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri May 04, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

They use word-salad from novels and webpages and such to escape spam filters by masquerading as a message with actual content.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Hex

Postby Hex » Fri May 04, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

How this ended up in news, I will never know. :?

Yes obviously, but why? Is there any point to it?
How do they intend to profit from it if nobody cares enough to look at gibberish? The only people who look at it for more than five seconds can't read english.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Fri May 04, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

They enjoy tormenting us. There is no other possible answer. Look into your heart, you know it to be true.
Last edited by The LuigiManiac on Fri May 04, 2007 8:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri May 04, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

I honestly have no idea. I've never really understood why there's a business for spam. No one actually buys anything from it, and most people don't even follow the links.

They/them

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Fri May 04, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

Actually, about 1/4 people buy stuff from spam emails. Also it is amazingly cheap to send a lot of spam.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Hex

Postby Hex » Fri May 04, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

It just confuses me as to how an actual profit is made, or intended to be made.

and Pennsauken, New Jersey, Henderson said.Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kansas, the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered on Thursday. Army spokesman Col. Akara Thiprot said it was the first time the military has imposed a curfew in the region since January 2004, when a resurgent Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Sophistacat; Special Kitty; Springfield Pride; Sprout; cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not on an Islamic school in southern Thailand, killing three Muslim students and cupboards could be deadly after millions of containers of dog and cat food sold

"It has tested its products but not on an Islamic school in southern Thailand"

I mean that really sounds like a really reliable person to buy stocks from, right? If I found something like that in my postage box, I'd throw it out, so why do they think the same doesn't apply to e-mail?

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri May 04, 2007 9:59 pm UTC

I'm going to publish that, and claim I found "Finnegan's Wake II; The Untold Story" in Joyce's mum's attic.

Solt

Postby Solt » Sat May 05, 2007 12:42 am UTC

Imagine only 1 in a million people is stupid enough to click on a spam link.

Now send 2 billion spam messages.

2,000 customers, for a few dozen bucks? You'd be stupid NOT to get into the business!

Nevermind that the other 1.99998 billion messages were probably identified as rubbish and deleted- it literally cost you almost nothing to send them.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat May 05, 2007 1:05 am UTC

^Exactly.

I mean that really sounds like a really reliable person to buy stocks from, right? If I found something like that in my postage box, I'd throw it out, so why do they think the same doesn't apply to e-mail?

Like I've said before somewhere, it's not you they're trying to get. It's the elderly, the young, people with intellectual disabilities, the uneducated, the extremely gullible/vulnerable, and so on. You only need a tiny, tiny percentage of people to fall for it to make huge profits, and considering spam is by far the most commonly sent type of email over the internet, the amount of people in that percentage ends up being quite large.

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Sat May 05, 2007 3:13 am UTC

It's regrettably quite pathetic. Profitable, but pathetic.

I might have to get into the mass production of spam...
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sat May 05, 2007 3:21 am UTC

Profitable? There's KITTENS STARVING OUT THERE.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

chan the evoker

Postby chan the evoker » Sat May 05, 2007 6:36 am UTC

I think I read somewhere that they send email like that to detrain the spam filters.

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Sat May 05, 2007 11:59 am UTC

bbctol wrote:I'm going to publish that, and claim I found "Finnegan's Wake II; The Untold Story" in Joyce's mum's attic.

Oh my god. This cracked me right up. Ahahaha, i'm in tears right now. Awesome, pure awesome.
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat May 05, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

chan the evoker wrote:I think I read somewhere that they send email like that to detrain the spam filters.

I dunno. I don't think you can "de-train" spam filters. If something makes it ito your inbox, you mark as spam...

Well, okay, so perhaps they can train ti to maybe block valid messages occasionally, but I don't think that'd have any use...
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sun May 06, 2007 1:59 pm UTC

DJ Horserider!

tendays

Postby tendays » Sun May 06, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Akira wrote:
chan the evoker wrote:I think I read somewhere that they send email like that to detrain the spam filters.

I dunno. I don't think you can "de-train" spam filters. If something makes it ito your inbox, you mark as spam...

Well, okay, so perhaps they can train ti to maybe block valid messages occasionally, but I don't think that'd have any use...

Sure it does.

Putting that gibberish in spam mail brings their word distribution closer to real email, which serves two puposes:

1 - when the mail arrives, your spam filter might mistake it for real mail and not delete/hide it. The better they do this, the more people will see their junk, which is their goal

2 - when you mark the mail as spam, your spam filter analyses it and puts the result in its database, indeed "de-training" it. So next time you get an actual email, the risks are higher that it gets misclassified as spam. The more that happens, the lower your confidence in the filter goes, and either you end up having to read your spam (see goal 1) for fear of more false positives, or lower the filter's sensitivity (thus increasing the spam you get - see goal 1).

Akira

Postby Akira » Sun May 06, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

~That makes perfect sense, and is what I had thought of--I wouldn't consider it de-training as much as "training" the filter to make mistakes.

My warped mind in action. Sorry. <3 I got what you meant at least.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sun May 06, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

Subject: classic shipping costs Monroe
From: Monroe Randall <mvocryptoclastic@maximizewellness.com>

Recommended ED pills store!
Most trusted pharmacy store on the net
80% of online stores are their resellers!
Best price on ED pills on the net guarenteed!!

I'm very disappointed that Randall has had to start resorting to selling ED pills.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sun May 06, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

Gordon wrote:I'm very disappointed that Randall has had to start resorting to selling ED pills.

I was offered a mortgage last week by Caligula. Scary!
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Mon May 07, 2007 12:44 am UTC

Poetry.com keeps trying to tell me I'm among the 50 contestants for the grand prize. I only signed up for it because I got credit for another site from it.

I have to say, gmail's spam filter works really well.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Akira

Postby Akira » Mon May 07, 2007 12:49 am UTC

I'm not sure if it happened or not becuase I didn't return the letter, but I got a thing int he mail saying they (poetry.com) were going to publish me.

I'm like... if that shit i wrote is worth publishing, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

And I'm not even male. or a monkey.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon May 07, 2007 2:34 am UTC

Vandole wrote:Poetry.com keeps trying to tell me I'm among the 50 contestants for the grand prize. I only signed up for it because I got credit for another site from it.

I have to say, gmail's spam filter works really well.

I've had one spam email in three years with Gmail. :D

Also, my first ex-boyfriend actually was one of the 50 contestants for the grand prize from poetry.com. Back in 2003, I believe.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon May 07, 2007 2:57 am UTC

Akira wrote:I'm not sure if it happened or not becuase I didn't return the letter, but I got a thing int he mail saying they (poetry.com) were going to publish me.

I'm like... if that shit i wrote is worth publishing, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

And I'm not even male. or a monkey.

I thought everyone learned poetry.com was a huge scam like a thousand years ago?
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Akira

Postby Akira » Mon May 07, 2007 3:00 am UTC

Oh, I know it is. I was just bored and didn't have any other palce to post it. I was jsut like.. "eh, what the hell. I really don't care".

Except then i did care, ebcause they sent me the "proofs" in an envelope with the poem showing through the front window and my parents picked up the mail...

let's jsut say it wasn't a flattering view of my family that i wrote about. they were upset.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon May 07, 2007 4:25 am UTC

Gordon wrote:I thought everyone learned poetry.com was a huge scam like a thousand years ago?

hermaj wrote:Also, my first ex-boyfriend actually was one of the 50 contestants for the grand prize from poetry.com. Back in 2003, I believe.

I am going to restate this because I am fully serious. He even went to the USA for the judging thing and has some sort of trophy from it. So I guess a lot of it might be a scam but some of it must for for reals. Unless I am remembering incorrectly and it's another poetry website? I am pretty sure it was poetry.com but I am willing to do some half-arsed investigating.

EDIT: Can't find the poem online. *shrugs* It was four years ago, I guess.

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon May 07, 2007 5:18 am UTC

They've done research on the spams that list stocks. Turns out there is a positive correlation between those spams and actual stock prices. In the days after they are sent, the stock rises by a few percent, presumably enough for these spammers to make a fair amount of money.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Mon May 07, 2007 5:35 am UTC

Anyone else familiar with The Spam Letters? They're a riot to read, especially the Nigerian scam letters, when the site's author actually got replies back to his inquiries.
Turn your scars into stars.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 07, 2007 5:41 am UTC

Apparently the spam letters are a huge industry in nigeria, and replies and correspondence are par for the course, up to and including the spammer insisting that you come to nigeria for some business transaction and then having you kidnapped by "police" who ask for bribe money, and so on.

They/them

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon May 07, 2007 6:43 am UTC

Wow shit!
:D :P
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon May 07, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

This is all a pretty standard look at "negative externalities".

You send email -- very little cost.

Someone chooses to buy your product -- their choice.

The problem is, the million emails that where sent out and cluttered people's inboxes that where not desired.

Email reduced the cost of sending mail too low. We really should be charging everyone who sends us an unsolicited email a refundable penny, or 50 cents, or 1 dollar. It would put spammers nearly completely out of business, and save millions of dollars in internet infrastructure costs.

Akira

Postby Akira » Mon May 07, 2007 5:03 pm UTC

Damned Nigerian Scam Mail.

You remeber hearing about that scandal in the small-town Michigan place where the treasurer embezzled a crappala cash for one of these things?

Yeah. *raises hand*

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri May 11, 2007 8:25 am UTC

After reading the spammers profile, I've noticed that some of them don't use their accounts right away, but safe them for a few days. Funny, no? But then again I'm up at the midnight hour, so maybe the odder spams come out.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri May 11, 2007 2:14 pm UTC

Gmail + Thunderbird = NO spam evar. EVAR.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri May 11, 2007 2:18 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:After reading the spammers profile, I've noticed that some of them don't use their accounts right away, but safe them for a few days. Funny, no? But then again I'm up at the midnight hour, so maybe the odder spams come out.

This happens I am sure, but another possible explanation - they're programmed to make repeat posts (some seem to be like that) and we've deleted previous posts? That would lower postcount to make subsequent posts look like the first.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Fri May 11, 2007 2:27 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:
ArchangelShrike wrote:After reading the spammers profile, I've noticed that some of them don't use their accounts right away, but safe them for a few days. Funny, no? But then again I'm up at the midnight hour, so maybe the odder spams come out.

This happens I am sure, but another possible explanation - they're programmed to make repeat posts (some seem to be like that) and we've deleted previous posts? That would lower postcount to make subsequent posts look like the first.

They've also acquired the charming habit of having humans go around and register on Forums using a known login/password and report the successful registration so they can feed the forum address to their bots which swing by later and do the actual posting. Humans can get past the captchas, you see...
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri May 11, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:
hermaj wrote:

They've also acquired the charming habit of having humans go around and register on Forums using a known login/password and report the successful registration so they can feed the forum address to their bots which swing by later and do the actual posting. Humans can get past the captchas, you see...

Porn would be cheaper.

Just set up some porn, guard it with captchas.

Start to set up an account on a forum. Get the captcha. Ask the human to solve the captcha to get to the porn. Use that solution to solve the forum captcha.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri May 11, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

Every once in a while I get spam that's just about 100 words. Problem is they don't try to sell me anything or obtain any info from me. They just send me words. It's odd.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Fri May 11, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

There's just so many spam topics right now that it isn't even funny. There's at least 3, maybe more.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Fri May 11, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:There's just so many spam topics right now that it isn't even funny. There's at least 3, maybe more.

It happens. The mods will get them, but they can't be expected to grab 'em all as soon as they pop up every time. They're only raptor....I mean human. :?

Although the porn links one by the poster 'Grandmother' is pure gold.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Return to “General”