guys growing long hair

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rubber314chicken

guys growing long hair

Postby rubber314chicken » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:45 am UTC

How do you keep it out of your eyes when its long enough to hang over your eyes but not long enough to go behind an ear?
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: guys growing long hair

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:48 am UTC

You don't. It's the price you pay for having awesome hair in 2-6 months.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahan

Postby Jahan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:06 am UTC

You get used to getting your hair in your eyes and closing your eye lids

or is that just me?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am UTC

I got used to somehow ending up with hair in my mouth despite it being in a ponytail.

Also, getting it caught in car doors/windows. Fun.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:09 am UTC

Yeah. I have a cowlick in the front, so it's a constant problem, even though my hair IS awesome.

Oh well. A price I'm willing to pay, still needs cut though.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

nona

Postby nona » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:17 am UTC

That's what barrettes, bobby pins, and head-bands were invented for. (Maybe you could try a bandana?)

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:43 am UTC

When my hair was eye length but not pony tail length I'd just try to move it out of the way, other wise just shove it into a pony tail when your not trying to look like a Metal Sex God.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:35 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Also, getting it caught in car doors/windows. Fun.

I thought I was the only person that did this! *suddenly feels much better about herself*

Bandanas or styling mousse/gel/spray are probably the best bet for a guy... Or you just get used to having this weird twitch/flick where you try to get the hair out of your eyes.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:46 am UTC

I was just at this point in hair growing, got tired of it as my hair was starting to grow a lot slower, and decided to get it cut. I'm quite sad that I no longer have my flowing locks. :(

nightlina

Postby nightlina » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:07 am UTC

rheakith wrote:I was just at this point in hair growing, got tired of it as my hair was starting to grow a lot slower, and decided to get it cut. I'm quite sad that I no longer have my flowing locks. :(

What you need to do is have regular 'trims' to stop the hair from breaking and going untidy. That way your hair's growth shouldn't slow down at all.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:23 am UTC

nightlina wrote:
rheakith wrote:I was just at this point in hair growing, got tired of it as my hair was starting to grow a lot slower, and decided to get it cut. I'm quite sad that I no longer have my flowing locks. :(

What you need to do is have regular 'trims' to stop the hair from breaking and going untidy. That way your hair's growth shouldn't slow down at all.
That would've worked if I had any regular trips home, since I don't trust anyone except one person to cut my hair. But I was stuck in college for quite some time and when I came back I pretty much just told her to chop it off, although, there still is some length to it.

I should probably get rid of my irrational fear of random people touching my hair and find someone near campus to do it.

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:30 am UTC

My hair was just the right length to stab me in the eyes back in high school P.E. class.
Which made running a lot less fun.

Also, I still need to get my hair trimmed! Maybe on Saturday. How much should I ask them to cut off?

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:35 am UTC

Glad to know it's normal. Mine's just gone from the incessantly-poking-me-in-the-eyes stage to the I-can't-see-anything-half-the-time stage. Damn slow-growing hair. Curse you, genetics!
[Signature pending...]

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Wear glasses. Problem solved.

Before I wore glasses all the time, I just got used to it.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:42 am UTC

I just wear various hats all the time. I love hats.

Auwolf

Postby Auwolf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:44 am UTC

heheh I can't grow my hair long, I tried for a few months but it just gets really curly, no length at all. Plus I have a widows peak. I prefer to keep it really short

"I had a dream too. It wasn't good though. I dreamt I was a moron." -Squall Leonhart

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:46 am UTC

You could style it.
Sweep it back, stick it up, sweep it to the side, ruffle it up a bit etc
Ⓞⓞ◯

Lanth

Postby Lanth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:58 am UTC

I just cut my fringe really short at the front (ie when wet and combed straight down, I cut it above my eyebrows). That way, it doesn't actually have any weight to weigh it down, and it just goes straight back.

Speaking of which, its reaching my eyes again. Time to cut it again...

Kisama

Postby Kisama » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:21 am UTC

I've been through the poking-my-eyes phase, the tickling-my-nose phase, the getting-into-my-mouth phase but they were all worth it! I'm now at the pony-tail-swinging-into-the-way-when-I-spit-toothpaste-after-brushing-my-teeth-with-annoying-results phase. If I let my hair loose it gets in my way and I can't figure out how so many girls manage to keep their hair away from their faces with seemingly no effort :o

Oh well I'll probably start going bald in a few years and then I'll just shave it all off!
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:27 am UTC

God, every time I got into my friends Jetta my hair would get caught in the door. It sucked. Now I have longer hair and we have bigger vehicles, so no problem. :)
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:29 am UTC

rheakith wrote:
nightlina wrote:

That would've worked if I had any regular trips home, since I don't trust anyone except one person to cut my hair. But I was stuck in college for quite some time and when I came back I pretty much just told her to chop it off, although, there still is some length to it.

I should probably get rid of my irrational fear of random people touching my hair and find someone near campus to do it.

If there is a Hair and Beauty (or cosmetics or whatever your area calls it) course going on then you can probably get it cut for free since courses like that usually need "test" models.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:00 am UTC

I generally don't have much of a problem during my everyday life, but when I play any sort of sport, I wear a headband (not the scrunchy kind; the manly kind that tennis and basketball players wear.) People still crack jokes, but they're more along the lines of "Look at the hotshot with the sweatband." Apparently, sweatbands are pretentious.

A note to anyone with long hair looking to cut it off: Please don't just throw away the hair! There is a program called Locks of Love that will put it to good use.
Locks of Love wrote:Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.
It's actually the reason I grow my hair out - once a year, I cut pretty much all of it off and send it in. Many barbers are actually familiar with the program and will send it in for you; all you have to do is let them cut it off (of course, you still have to pay for the haircut.)

(And if helping sick kids isn't enough incentive, the ladies will think it's sweet.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:03 am UTC

Kisama wrote:I've been through the poking-my-eyes phase, the tickling-my-nose phase, the getting-into-my-mouth phase but they were all worth it! I'm now at the pony-tail-swinging-into-the-way-when-I-spit-toothpaste-after-brushing-my-teeth-with-annoying-results phase. If I let my hair loose it gets in my way and I can't figure out how so many girls manage to keep their hair away from their faces with seemingly no effort :o

As someone who's had hair down to the middle of his back at various times, I don't know what you're doing wrong: I've never had any of those problems.

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

I miss my long hair... Was growing it for several years then I came to uni... One night I decided to grab a pair of scissors, I gathered most of my hair up into a pony tail and took that one initial snip, after which it was too late to turn back. Did my best to tidy up my mess after that but I regret that my hair is now well above my shoulders when just a few short months ago it was two thirds of the way down my back.

So I'm growing it back. The hair on the right side of my face is slightly longer than on my left, because of the botched job I did of cutting it properly, so it's just now long enough to poke me in the eyes. Seeing as to have a fringe doesn't seem to suit me, I usually just use water and a little bit of soap to slick it back, then shake it loose a bit and dry it quickly with a towel. This gives a half-assed swept back look to the hair which looks better than anything else at the moment. I would also recommend hats. They never suited me much with long hair but having had it cut, a wide variety of hats now look a lot better on my head than they used to.

adunebutt

Postby adunebutt » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

I used to have long hair and you really just get used to the annoyance. I buzzed my head not too long ago and I don't plan on ever growing it back out again, it's just too much of a hassle.

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

adunebutt wrote:I used to have long hair and you really just get used to the annoyance. I buzzed my head not too long ago and I don't plan on ever growing it back out again, it's just too much of a hassle.

It really isn't. Of course, you've got to take care of it which uses up more shampoo than short hair; when I cut my hair, I used way more shampoo than was necessary at first. So long as you keep your hair in good condition, it's no hastle at all. That is other than the extra money that will need spent on shampoo because of how much is needed to wash it properly.
The only problem I ever had with my hair was when I decided I wanted to let it dread, naturally over a period of time. This was a bad idea, as no more than a couple of weeks later I was desperately trying to get rid of knots which had developed; I know that's the point of dreads but I had no idea how much I would hate them. Eventually, the one knot which had developed at the back of my head got too frustrating and became part of the reason I took a pair of scissors to my hair.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

As has been said, hats, bandanas, live with it. I personally just put up with it, and wore a bandana for PE.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:07 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:I just wear various hats all the time. I love hats.

Exactly. Acquire a range of hats for various occasions - a cuban, fedora, trilby, beret, flat-cap, baseball, and, of course, top hat (with obligatory waistcoat and pocketwatch).

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:31 am UTC

smw543 wrote:I generally don't have much of a problem during my everyday life, but when I play any sort of sport, I wear a headband (not the scrunchy kind; the manly kind that tennis and basketball players wear.) People still crack jokes, but they're more along the lines of "Look at the hotshot with the sweatband." Apparently, sweatbands are pretentious.

A note to anyone with long hair looking to cut it off: Please don't just throw away the hair! There is a program called Locks of Love that will put it to good use.
Locks of Love wrote:Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.
It's actually the reason I grow my hair out - once a year, I cut pretty much all of it off and send it in. Many barbers are actually familiar with the program and will send it in for you; all you have to do is let them cut it off (of course, you still have to pay for the haircut.)

(And if helping sick kids isn't enough incentive, the ladies will think it's sweet.)

That's what I'll do when I decide that I should have short hair.

steewi wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:I just wear various hats all the time. I love hats.

Exactly. Acquire a range of hats for various occasions - a cuban, fedora, trilby, beret, flat-cap, baseball, and, of course, top hat (with obligatory waistcoat and pocketwatch).

Lets see... I have a few baseball caps, a beret, and a "top hat" I got at target to wear when I'm drumming at concerts. And a few really stupid bandannas. I don't like wearing them that much though.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

nightlina

Postby nightlina » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:21 am UTC

Schmut wrote:
adunebutt wrote:I used to have long hair and you really just get used to the annoyance. I buzzed my head not too long ago and I don't plan on ever growing it back out again, it's just too much of a hassle.

It really isn't. Of course, you've got to take care of it which uses up more shampoo than short hair; when I cut my hair, I used way more shampoo than was necessary at first. So long as you keep your hair in good condition, it's no hastle at all. That is other than the extra money that will need spent on shampoo because of how much is needed to wash it properly.
The only problem I ever had with my hair was when I decided I wanted to let it dread, naturally over a period of time. This was a bad idea, as no more than a couple of weeks later I was desperately trying to get rid of knots which had developed; I know that's the point of dreads but I had no idea how much I would hate them. Eventually, the one knot which had developed at the back of my head got too frustrating and became part of the reason I took a pair of scissors to my hair.

It really depends on whether your hair is fine or thick. I'm blonde and have super fine hair - I can't wear it out because the hair doesn't really have enough weight on its own to keep itself tidy and together. It just tangles and goes everywhere.

I fix this by straightening my hair when I want to go out - it'll still go everywhere and be all floaty, but at least it doesn't tangle as much, so it's easier for me to do a quick flick and put it back where it should be.

I'm so jealous of people with thick hair who can seemingly do whatever they like with it without the hair misbehaving. My hair totally has a mind of its own.

Enid

Postby Enid » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:04 am UTC

smw543 wrote:I generally don't have much of a problem during my everyday life, but when I play any sort of sport, I wear a headband (not the scrunchy kind; the manly kind that tennis and basketball players wear.) People still crack jokes, but they're more along the lines of "Look at the hotshot with the sweatband." Apparently, sweatbands are pretentious.

There are even some places that will give you a free haircut if you're donating. There was one by my dad's house when I chopped my hair off a while back. I believe the locks of love website has a feature that lets you look up whether there are any such places in your area.

I'm not a guy, but I recently started growing my hair out again after having it in a haircut as short as a guys for a while. I'm finally at the point where I can put it in a ponytail. Until that happened, bobby pins and hair clips were my friend. I guess they don't work so great for guys though.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:17 am UTC

I used to have pretty long hair, I'll post a pic if I can find one.

My problem is my hair is ungodly thick and frizzy, so I developed a (for a lack of a better term) jewfro.
I could literally get a pound of hair cut out with an visible difference.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Some people aren't well suited for hats. Headbands seem like a popular option—you can get thinnish ones that go around from the top of the head to the back of the head or so, you see soccer players wear them a lot.

Also, about Locks of Love: only a fraction of the hair they get, they actually use to make wigs for chemo patients or whatnot. The rest of it they either throw away or sell (yes, wigmakers will buy human hair). Also, I'm sick to death about people asking me if I'm going to cut my hair for Locks of Love. No, I'm not, you jackasses, I'm wearing it.

And if I was going to cut my hair off for a charity, I would simply sell the hair myself and say I donated my hair to the Phil Welch College Fund, which is dedicated to financing the college education of disagreeable nerds (one in particular).
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:26 am UTC

When I was growing out my hair, I was in middle school, so if I wore a headband or a bandanna, I'd be a fag. Kinda sucked, but I got through it through the earlier mentioned flick of the head.

Haven't had haircut (even a trim) in over 4 years. My hair is 3/4 of the way down my back.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:How do you keep it out of your eyes when its long enough to hang over your eyes but not long enough to go behind an ear?

Alice-bands, bandanas, bandana-style headbands and hats are your best options, but unless you can pull them off you'll look like a pillock. Still, a good price to pay for the awesomeness of long hair!
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

sleepygamer
More metal than thou

Postby sleepygamer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

Man, I never had to worry about my hair being in my eyes. I'm sure it got in there, but it was there for, like, 3 days and by then was at my nose. O.o
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Earlier this year, I had my hair in my eyes, but i kind of got used to it and ignored the annoyance. Now I am at the stage where I can tuck it behind an ear, but the back gets caught whenever I try to don my backpack. such is the life of a guy who doesn't conform...

sleepygamer
More metal than thou

Postby sleepygamer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

I feel you, bro.

As a guitarist, when I sling my axe over my shoulder, I have to take a few extra moments to remove my hair from the strap, lest I try to mosh on stage and render my scalp in PAIN.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

Just, for the love of god, don't get your passport photo taken in the awkward growing stage.

I look like a fucking Albanian...
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

sleepygamer
More metal than thou

Postby sleepygamer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

Ahaha, I look like a teenage David Bowie.

Return to “General”