A note to Belial

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

A note to Belial

Postby tricky77puzzle » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

Belial:

What you did on the "Post in this thread and get banned" thread was not funny. Nor was it amusing, educational, lesson-teaching, or any of the words that may be used to uplift you posting it. Perhaps I should condemn you unlike camoninja, who decided that it was "beneath (him/)her". It was not merely immature, it was despicable. Deplorable. Sophomoric. Uncalled for. Whatever you want to call it.

I expected better from an administrator. Some people will call what you did, misuse of power. Others will say that you were just naïve, that you weren't thinking. I'd say what you did was a deliberate act of malice. And please don't give me the "Belial" argument. We both know that you're not really a demon. Any attempt to say otherwise will result in you appearing less intelligent than you really are.

It's been said that if the team screws up, the leader gets blamed. But the converse is also true. If the leader screws up, the entire team's reputation goes down. This is the case with you, Belial. With your acts, I've lost respect for the entirety of the XKCD forums. But then again, perhaps it was for the better. My existence on this forum has been pointless. I've never contributed to any debate, although I have over 400 non-forum-game posts. All the time I've been on here has been wasted. I've only been here when I'm bored, or have nothing else to do. (Please don't think, "mission accomplished". This is not a joke. If anybody tries to crack one at me, I'll lose even more respect for the forums, and perhaps try telling Munroe that his forums have become a pigsty.)

When I first joined, I thought these forums were a pretty nice place. I fit in quickly. And it's been this way for the year-and-a-something that I've been registered here, right up until this permaban incident, where everything just crashed into a wall.

You may defend yourself with: "Well, it's their fault they didn't listen to the thread". I saw this thread and viewed it regularly, but I never posted in it, since, obviously, I didn't want to take a risk. But that argument doesn't justify, in the microscopic least, what you did anyway. Imagine it this way: (Since camoninja couldn't provide a good analogy in (his/)her own words, I'll provide another one.) Let's say a pair of terrorists places a sign on a countryside highway saying, "Terrorists will shoot your car if you drive another 200 metres". And surely enough, they shoot anyone who drives 200 metres past the sign, killing everyone who survives the shot. Were their actions excusable by the sign? I'll leave that up to you. Now, say those terrorists are police officers. Or scientists. Or people working for the CIA. Does that justify it any more, or provide any more excuse, than with the terrorists? Once again, I'll leave the answer up to you.

You may also defend yourself with: "What right do you have to be saying these things? You weren't banned from the forum." Oh, only the fact that this forum is based in America and you Americans believe in free speech. Or do you?

It is only because these bans are permanent that I utter these condemnations. If the bans were only temporary, or are uplifted later, then I will withdraw almost everything that I've said here, as, by restoring the accounts, you have proven that all the thread was was you exhibiting your weird sense of humour, as camoninja calls it. By doing that, it would be the same as changing my analogy to the terrorists only shooting the car's engine, which would cause the driver a lot of grief, but only for a short time, and life would soon return to normal shortly thereafter.

If, at any time during this, you felt the need to crack one at me, or reference an XKCD comic in a reply to me, please know that by doing so, you will have just made me lose the last of respect I had for anyone on these forums. This is a very serious issue, and I absolutely do not appreciate anyone trying to go off-topic to try and evade it. Please know that until you have unbanned everyone that you banned and broadcasted a formal apology on the forum, you will never see me on here again. I have already deleted all my profile information, cookies, and private messages, and nobody can send me email. This might only be a feeble act of defiance, and the forum will carry on as normal, but I want to know that I've voiced my opinion. You may reply with "Yeah, but you're just a lowly user, what can you do with an administrator of these forums?" Well, we're both people. We both know that velociraptors will not suddenly pop out of our windows and devour us whole. We both know that Windows Vista is not worse than than a picture of Hitler's eyes blinking continuously. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but reality is not XKCD. Any act to try and deny this will only result in you appearing stupid, as well as a true addict to XKCD. And please don't claim pride in that either. We also both know that being a true addict to anything is bad. Don't say otherwise; you'll be cracking a joke where jokes are strictly forbidden.

You may then ask, "What do you know about reality? You're just a teenager!" Well, really, not much. I know that life isn't fair. I know that green means go, red means stop. I know that robbery will get you arrested. I know that some fundamentalists believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old.

Go ahead and use your mod powers to c****r this post, or to add to it to save your post count from increasing because I'm not worth your time. Considering the snide replies you gave to people who were banned, we're all just dregs of society, and these forums, especially the Forum Games portion, but even everywhere else, are a sewer drain of intellect. If you don't really believe that, speak now or forever hold your peace. I know that after speaking now, my peace will be forever held. I may start to be a ridicule meme like poor Jacque, but I will not respond to any of that.

There is a list of people who feel that you've taught a valuable lesson by permabanning these people who've posted in this thread. I don't know who other than yourself this list includes, but since none of the other moderators have taken you on, I'd say that's silent agreement.

To use your words, there's also one person who's conspicuously absent from the list. I'll give you a guess.

It's been nice,
-tricky77puzzle

(edit: you might as well put all four stars in.)
Last edited by tricky77puzzle on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Re: A note to Belial

Postby TizzyFoe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

Was the thread delete? I couldn't find it with the search. Please link if you can.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"
TizzyFoe

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

.. you.. realize that it's just a nameban, and you can just slap a new account together in, like, 8 seconds and no one's going to give a shit, right?

Also, Belial is hilarious.

Not that you'll see my reply, of course.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby cypherspace » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

Just remember not to post in that "Post here and get shot" thread! SRS BUSINESS YO
There is a list of people who feel that you've taught a valuable lesson by permabanning these people who've posted in this thread. I don't know who other than yourself this list includes

*waves*

The cheese burnt me so hard.
Spoiler:
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"
cypherspace

Postby Fantastic Idea » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

it's ok guys
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (3.33 KiB) Viewed 6261 times

it'll be alright.
How'm I supposed to know that you're high if you won't let me touch you?
Fantastic Idea
I'm the bad mod. Azrael is the good mod. Questions?

Postby rnew » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:You may defend yourself with: "Well, it's their fault they didn't listen to the thread". I saw this thread and viewed it regularly, but I never posted in it, since, obviously, I didn't want to take a risk.

Well there you go. You've responded to your own point there. It is a risk to post there so obviously there has to be reprocussions of your actions if you do take the risk.
Those who were banned were willing to take the chance.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.
rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby cypherspace » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

Just remember, kids. Banning people from internet forums is terrorism.
cypherspace

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Look. Several of the people involved thought it was actually pretty funny.
They are all able to make alts/sockpuppets/other accounts etc; its only a name ban.
You talk about the real world....if there is a sign like you said, and you past the limits given, you will get shot. You can try to argue the ethics here, but this is what happens in the real world.
You cannot judge a whole group by its individuals; everyone here is an individual, independent of the others here. If, say one person is being a total douche/fuckwit/bitchstick, etc, the entire fora is not necessarily the same. They may in fact frown upon said person (but they may also agree, or even be indifferent). It does not matter the rank of this person, the same thing occurs.
The real world is unfair sometimes, this you will learn in due time.
And I would quote snipe this....but its 2:30 in the morning and I just can't be fucked into putting anymore effort into this.
A sign says jump off this cliff to die. Will you follow its instructions? If you do, the consequences are your own fault. Same shit, different level.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.
ACU-LP

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:[Banning the people in the] "Post in this thread and get banned" thread was....Uncalled for.
Uhuh.
tricky77puzzle wrote:Let's say a pair of terrorists places a sign on a countryside highway saying, "Terrorists will shoot your car if you drive another 200 metres". And surely enough, they shoot anyone who drives 200 metres past the sign, killing everyone who survives the shot.
And still those idiots in their cars continue to drive those 200 metres and get killed, complaining to the shooters for not telling them that people die when they're shot.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.
SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:it's ok guys
The attachment untitled.JPG is no longer available

it'll be alright.

ray.JPG
ray.JPG (7.46 KiB) Viewed 6124 times
H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby Themata » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

Wow...
Themata

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

BelialFlag.jpg
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but reality is not XKCD.
Let's try to keep that in mind before launching into the hysterics over an account on an internet forum, eh?
I don't know what to do for you
uncivlengr

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

Let me sprunge up the conversation I had with Belial after my ban. It went like this:

Felstaff wrote:Belial, when you banned me for posting in the banned thread I couldn't read my PMs, and totally missed out on one from Artemisia who I was supposed to meet later on! [We missed meeting because of it]
Belial wrote:......

Wow. That was my fault. Sorry.
Felstaff wrote:You were just driving the bus. I was the one who jumped in front of it.

Even though only minutes earlier you'd given me a pamphlet saying "Jumping In Front Of Buses Is Not Recommended"

The subtitle was: "Because You Will Get Hit By A Bus"
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
BelialFlag.jpg
Just when I thought I couldn't find all this any funnier.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby Jebobek » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

I'd be annoyed of having people ignorant of the bans welcoming you to the fora and telling you to use the "introduce yourself" thread a couple times. Maybe having to explain "yes, I WAS here before" to a couple of people. Other than that, its just a minor inconvienance; there are only a small amount of people on the xkcd fora that take a look at your postcount+joindate and respond to your posts accordingly.

Make a similar name, put a joke+link about yourself getting banned in your sig, and move on from there.
Jebobek

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:05 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:You were just driving the bus. I was the one who jumped in front of it.

Even though only minutes earlier you'd given me a pamphlet saying "Jumping In Front Of Buses Is Not Recommended"

"And it will likely hurt rather a lot"
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Especially if you use an avatar. Just slap the same thing on and people won't even notice the name changed.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Quixotess » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Let me sprunge up the conversation I had with Belial after my ban. It went like this:

Felstaff wrote:Belial, when you banned me for posting in the banned thread I couldn't read my PMs, and totally missed out on one from Artemisia who I was supposed to meet later on! [We missed meeting because of it]
Belial wrote:......

Wow. That was my fault. Sorry.

Let's just take a moment to note yet again that Belial is a huge softie and actually wants people to like him.
Raise up the torch and light the way.
Quixotess
No. Cookies.

In this dream - DRAMA!

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

GOD DAMN FASCIST COCK MONKEYS TAKING AWAY RIGHTS THAT NEVER EXISTED IN THE FIRST PLACE!

MOTHERFUCKING PEOPLE STOP POSTING!
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
The Mighty Thesaurus
a.k.a. The Puissant Lexicographical Tome

Postby cypherspace » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Let's just take a moment to note yet again that Belial is a huge softie and actually wants people to like him. terrorist.

Yes, let's.
cypherspace

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby DaMullet » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

I have to, HAVE TO, believe that this is, in fact, a hilarious practical joke perpetrated on the forum. Have to, for the safety of my sanity. If this person is, in fact, serious about his terrorist analogy, then I have gained new and fundamental concerns about the amount of 4chan leaking into the XKCD forums. If he merely forgot the </sarc> at the end of that rant (which was incredibly long for a joke post) then I advise him to fix that. For the good of the nation.

Also, Felstaff, put a hold on that cheese. It burns.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!
DaMullet

Postby Okita » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

I find it amusing that someone who basically did not take a part in that thread has gotten angered enough to warrant leaving the forum forever, thus martyring himself/herself for all those banned accounts (most of whom are already back in the fora already on separate accounts).

Now if only I could get someone to get up and leave the fora in a huff because no one no hot female model has given Okita a hug in the past 30 minutes.

This is America. I should get hugs on demand.
Last edited by Okita on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

You think this is a joke? This is serious business, my friend! If you think terrorism is a laughing matter, then they have already won.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby Tillan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

*Hugs Okita*

Sorry for being late.
Now work damnit! No, dont carry on posting here, you're a very busy person. work work work!!
Tillan

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

If you don't hug Okita, the terrorists win.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby Xeio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

Emorages are funny. :mrgreen:

¡This cheese is scorching me!
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Lucrece » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Bah, I love Belial, even when he scolds me.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.
Lucrece

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Bah, I love Belial, even especially when he scolds me.
fix'd
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

FACT: HOMOSEXUALS FUND TERRORISTS!

THE HOMOTERRORISTS ARE STEALING OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO EMBRACE OTHER MEN IN OUR MASCULINE GRIP!

I CANNOT STAND IDLY BY AND WATCH OKITA BEING REFUSED ACCESS TO HIS DAILY ALLOTMENT OF HUGS! SO LONG, XKCD FORA. I HATED YOU ALL!

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby Pa-Patch » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

So yeah, the one time he actually caused an actual problem with it, he apologized. You can make another account with the same avatar and everyone will know how you are. If you're worried about your post count, well, that's dumb of you and you really shouldn't go around asking "ban plz"
It's not like this was a "post in here and maybe something bad will happen" thread. It was a "post in here and get banned" thread.
Say you dig a big hole in your backyard and fill it with poop, then put up a large honest sign telling people that yes, if they jump in this whole they will get all poopy. If someone jumps in the hole, it is funny times and their own fault.

Basically: HOW DID YOU WRITE SO MUCH

Also: Terrorism.
Pa-Patch

Postby tricky77puzzle » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:.. you.. realize that it's just a nameban, and you can just slap a new account together in, like, 8 seconds and no one's going to give a shit, right?

Also, Belial is hilarious.

Not that you'll see my reply, of course.

Wow, complete epiphany here. *hugs Okita for the heck of it*

Alright, I'm back. Let's assume this was a joke and get on with things.

And @the mod who censored the word "censor": very funny.

Pa-Patch wrote:So yeah, the one time he actually caused an actual problem with it, he apologized. You can make another account with the same avatar and everyone will know how you are. If you're worried about your post count, well, that's dumb of you and you really shouldn't go around asking "ban plz"
It's not like this was a "post in here and maybe something bad will happen" thread. It was a "post in here and get banned" thread.
Say you dig a big hole in your backyard and fill it with poop, then put up a large honest sign telling people that yes, if they jump in this whole they will get all poopy. If someone jumps in the hole, it is funny times and their own fault.

Basically: HOW DID YOU WRITE SO MUCH

Also: Terrorism.

Alright, let's not get worked up in the fact that I've created a new XKCD meme.
tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Postby rnew » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

Pa-Patch wrote:if they jump in this whole they will get all poopy.

Best sentence ever.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.
rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby Xeio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

Pa-Patch wrote:Also: Terrorism Bannanas.
This topic is now about how bannanas are a threat to the world, and the fora by extension! :roll:
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Decker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

Welcome back to the fold.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

Creating a new XKCD meme leads to TERRORISM

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Themata » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
BelialFlag.jpg

You are amazing.
Themata

Postby Indon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

And now, when I get tired of the XKCD forums and move on, I know precisely what I'm going to do.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Indon

Postby Decker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Indon wrote:And now, when I get tired of the XKCD forums and move on, I know precisely what I'm going to do.

Can't now. The thread is locked.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

Next

Return to General