Types of alcohol and their effects...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Types of alcohol and their effects...

Postby 0range » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:23 am UTC

You hear a lot of people say things like, "Tequila makes me crazy." and the like.

Is there any science to back this theory of different types of alcohol having different effects? I've heard people justify it by saying that allergies to ingredients may play a part, but I'm still dubious.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne
0range

Re: Types of alcohol and their effects...

Postby Turtle_ » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:30 am UTC

There's obviously the fact that the alcohol contents can be very different, but other than that I don't know.
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin
Turtle_

Postby Midnight » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:00 am UTC

isn't absinthe supposed to make you insane? it's made out of some poisonous plant, I think... instead of friendly, neighborhood grapes and barley.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:04 am UTC

Midnight wrote:isn't absinthe supposed to make you insane? it's made out of some poisonous plant, I think... instead of friendly, neighborhood grapes and barley.

If we were having this conversation in the 1800s, that totally wouldn't be a ridiculous thing to believe.
Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Durandal » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Midnight wrote:isn't absinthe supposed to make you insane? it's made out of some poisonous plant, I think... instead of friendly, neighborhood grapes and barley.

You are referring to wormwood, a plant that was added to produce hallucinogenic effects in the (as was said) 1800's. I believe you can still buy some varieties of Absinthe that contain threshold levels of wormwood, but only in some European countries. In North America, Absinthe generally only contains very trace amounts of wormwood, it at all.
Durandal

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:18 am UTC

Plus wormwood was never hallucinogenic and the whole affair was an urban myth typical of the era. Absinthe is really strong alcohol, but that's it, and that's all it's ever been.
Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby 0range » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:03 am UTC

Strange, what got me thinking about this was that I bought a bottle of absinthe a few days ago. So far, I've had mild stomach pains after drinking it, even in small quantities.

Anyone want to trade a half bottle of scotch for the rest of this crap?
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne
0range

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

I think the madness came from the copper compounds used to make the cheap stuff go really, really green.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Belial » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

0range wrote:Strange, what got me thinking about this was that I bought a bottle of absinthe a few days ago. So far, I've had mild stomach pains after drinking it, even in small quantities.

Anyone want to trade a half bottle of scotch for the rest of this crap?

I have several half bottles of scotch.

What brand of absinthe?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

The Internet's favourite brand?

Spoiler:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth

Postby 22/7 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

I've noticed that tequila tends to take awhile to get me drunk. I don't mean that I can drink more of it than some other alcohol, just that the effects tend to be delayed. That said, I generally only drink tequila in margaritas or as shots, and there's certainly the possibility that it's actually other factors that I'm not paying attention to, so who knows?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

i have never been around tequila and not have a fight break out between at least 2 people. tequila makes you fight i think.

other than that i do notice that beers, wines, and hard liquors produce a different kind of drunk for me.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet
segmentation fault

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

I do know that Pimms makes me very happy.
bigglesworth

Postby Quadropus » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

White wine makes me very eloquent and boarder-line flamboyant.
Red wine makes me appreciate good cheese more.
Beer makes me just drunk and feel somewhat ill if I have lots, just the bloating factor of it.
Spirits are my life. I will happily drink most of them. I rather like Martini which my friends find rather amusing (as I am a 17 year old male) and laugh when they're drinking their beers whilst I have a fine Martini. I also love good vodka, none of that cheap shite. I like mine Swedish or Russian thank you kindly!

That all said, I will happily drink any of the above (apart from a few things (i.e. Sambuka - the smell of that stuff alone makes me gag)).

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"
Quadropus

Postby Cherry Kiss » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:i have never been around tequila and not have a fight break out between at least 2 people. tequila makes you fight i think.

touché, though it can also make your clothes fall off.

personally, vodka makes me a very very angry person. Whiskey puts me in a chill mood but very talkative, clear rums also help me chill out but i would rather be alone than around people, and well my buddy capt. morgan gets me going, i loooove that stuff. and beer is a great social drink ei playing pool or cards or something.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.
Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Oh, and ale tastes delicious.
bigglesworth

Postby Lord Aurora » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Straight shots of Everclear or 151 tend to black me out faster than beer.

But that's the only difference I've ever noticed between types of alcohol.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.
Lord Aurora

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

Tequila makes me very drunk very fast.

Any rice based alcohol--Ie. Sake or Soju makes me quickly drunk.

My usuals are rum or vodka (usually with a mixer). Straight up scotch is a great way to get extraordinarily tipsy and dozy. It's nice when it's cold out. :P
Rice Puddin.
Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby wst » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

Not much of a drinker, but Gin (Specificaly, Xoriguer) makes me talkative. And more carefree. Though it did get me standing in a narrow street patting horses at 4am...
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams
wst

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Tequila makes my cloths fall off. Mostly cause I feel *very* warm and I start think clothing is for prudes.

I like my wines red and my cape cods (vodka and cranberry) pink. A nice high % beer (like Double bags) is always a nice touch.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.
sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

wst wrote:Though it did get me standing in a narrow street patting horses at 4am...

This sounds like a euphemism for something----but damned if I know for what. :D I want to make one up just so I can say this again.

Oh! And red wine--instant headache, white wine...I only like really sweet ones. Hmm.
Rice Puddin.
Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Every kind of alcohol seems to affect me in about the same way. The difference is how much alcohol I can consume. Some types taste bad, or are consumed in such a way to make them harsher (tequila), others are consumed nearly exclusivly with mix (rum), still others have a lower concentration of alcohol, meaning I need to consume more fluid to get the same amount of alcohol, which of course changes the rate of absorption (beer) and still others just don't taste good (wine... and well tequila).

If I drink enough beer, I can get just as drunk as if I'm drinking double rum and cokes, and just as drunk as if I'm drinking straight vodka. I don't think I've ever gotten drunk on wine, mainly because I don't really like the taste of wine.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby BomanTheBear » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Alcohol makes me drounk. [sic]
BomanTheBear

Postby BomanTheBear » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:

If we were having this conversation in the 1800s, that totally wouldn't be a ridiculous thing to believe.

You made me bust out laughing in the middle of finance class.

Actually, now that I think about it, you tend to do that fairly often. Thanks for that.

Edit: Lame. Double post.
Last edited by BomanTheBear on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BomanTheBear

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

Why don't they play that one on CMT anyway?

..yeah, alcohol makes me talkative. Then catatonic. Then sick. Years ago I finally figured out how to drink and not hit the catatonic stage if I don't want... took me long enough.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Alcohol makes me bubbly, then talkative, then very emotional, either positive or negative.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

According to Science, the same alcohol content will be the same. According to personal experience it depends on the person. I know the only 80+ proof things I will drink all night are vodka and rum. My relationship with tequila might because i have been drinking beer all night and taking random shots of it.

As for the actual drunk type, it totally depends on the situation. When I drink in safe places I am more likely to get angry (vent about things I could not before). If I am single or in a good mood I am more likely to get horny. Sometimes I just get playful and obnoxious. If you are lucky, I get in my rubbin moods, where I feel the need to give everyone a hand/foot/back/leg rub. They say I am pretty good at them too.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.
sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby Cherry Kiss » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Why don't they play that one on CMT anyway?

this is more than likely due to the fact that its an older song. cmt only like to play the newer stuff, over and over and over again when they arent playing that dallas cowboy cheerleaders or redneck wedding nonsense. GAC is much better.
oh and btw: that video has scarred me for life. ack!
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.
Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby pollywog » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:I've noticed that tequila tends to take awhile to get me drunk. I don't mean that I can drink more of it than some other alcohol, just that the effects tend to be delayed. That said, I generally only drink tequila in margaritas or as shots, and there's certainly the possibility that it's actually other factors that I'm not paying attention to, so who knows?
I had tequila for my 19th birthday. I don't remember anything after the second shot. I have never been drunker faster.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby 22/7 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:
22/7 wrote:I've noticed that tequila tends to take awhile to get me drunk. I don't mean that I can drink more of it than some other alcohol, just that the effects tend to be delayed. That said, I generally only drink tequila in margaritas or as shots, and there's certainly the possibility that it's actually other factors that I'm not paying attention to, so who knows?
I had tequila for my 19th birthday. I don't remember anything after the second shot. I have never been drunker faster.
Clearly we should start drinking tequila together. For SCIENCE!
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby pollywog » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:55 am UTC

Ok. I drink La Chica. It costs $25 a bottle. Should we use salt and lemon, or go straight?
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby anouk » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:09 am UTC

Wine makes me a lethargic and *rawr* drunk, I don't really get hungover from it. Smirnoff Double Black, however (no other vodka based drink for some reason) makes me throw up after a one serving sized bottle. Cider and Beer makes me happy mostly, I think I think I absorb the emotions of the people around me though. I don't get it though, alcohol is ethanol which is the same drunk-making chemical in vodka and grape-based drinks, why does it effect people differently?
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.
anouk

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:05 am UTC

Red wine is awesome, it makes me feel relaxed and often horny. It's such an elegant drink too, suitable for dinner table debates, or personal intimate moments and everything in between. Gives the worst hangovers though. All the tannins.

Vodka is more of a party drink, stick it in a mixer of choice and away you go. Good for dancing around like a nutter as you're not going to be as bloated as when drinking lager or as lethargic as after wine.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.

Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

Double Blacks are actually not vodka drink, but malt beverages if I remember right.
I call them alcoholic candy.
sophyturtle

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

I like cider, can't have beer (gluten intolerant), red wine..ouch, white whine..ick, rum, vodka, scotch yay!
Rice Puddin.
Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:Double Blacks are actually not vodka drink, but malt beverages if I remember right.

I believe the technical name is Alcopop.

And they're way too damn sweet.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:Double Blacks are actually not vodka drink, but malt beverages if I remember right.

After reading the alcopop link, I found out that Smirnoff ice is a malt beverage in France and the US, and a premixed vodka drink in the rest of europe, Canada and Australia.

I find that interesting.
Last edited by Jessica on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

It's, er, what? Bizarre
bigglesworth

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Malt. sorry.

In the US and france the alcohol is barley based, like beer.
in other countries, it's vodka based.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby nsmjohn » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

Hard alcohol makes me sleepy. Beer makes me extroverted. Wine gives me a headache and makes me talkative though not necessarily an extrovert. Tequila makes me very happy. All of them make me slighty brash and capricious (sorry was talking about vocabulary with a friend last night). Quantity is important though... while mildly drunk the differences stand out in my memory, when smashed I tend to display a combination of the listed traits.

Now, for the wild card: Pot. I am interested what happens to everyone when they throw that little devil into the mix (I am talking about smoking while drunk, or drinking when stoned. AKA crossfading). For me it changes "slighty brash and capricious" to "very brash and capricious".
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

nsmjohn

Next

Return to General