Questions For The World

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

oxoiron

Re: Questions For The World

Postby oxoiron » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:02 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Cholula is also the shit.
Amen!
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:56 pm UTC

Tobasco, and other vinegar-based hot sauces (like red rooster or crystal) I keep around mainly for it's use on eggs. Something about a dash of it on runny eggs and home fries in the morning is magic.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Tobasco, and other vinegar-based hot sauces (like red rooster or crystal) I keep around mainly for it's use on eggs. Something about a dash of it on runny eggs and home fries in the morning is magic.

Hmm, I wonder if that would also be good on poached eggs (my preferred way of doing eggs - as tasty as soft boiled with no fiddly shell), I'll have to try it. I typically use some variety of flavoured sea salt on eggs - smoked sea salt is my favourite.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

Pretty much everything goes great with eggs, no matter how you cook them. I like to beat the eggs with a dash of soy sauce when I'm making omelettes.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:23 pm UTC

Oraiste wrote:I like to add soy sauce when I'm making omelettes.

That's a good choice from a flavour balancing perspective - the salt and umami from the soy sauce would complement the fattiness of the eggs.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

Soy sauce is awesome for seasoning. I never used to like it as a condiment, but it's really grown on me now I've realised how useful it is in cooking.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 pm UTC

Soy sauce on popcorn.

Soy sauce on mac and cheese.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:33 pm UTC

Worcestershire sauce is my favourite seasoning (although soy sauce is awesome too). I am gradually developing the perfect cheese on toast recipe using it. So far I have:

• Grated mature Cheddar
  • Grated Gruyère
  • Mayonnaise
  • Dijon mustard
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Tabasco
  • Ground black pepper

Any suggestions for alterations or things to add?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:36 pm UTC

I like having a layer of marmite on the toast when making cheese on toast.

Which is odd, as I generally don't like marmite otherwise. Unless it's on the toast for beans and toast.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:39 pm UTC

Sounds like Welsh rabbit (or rarebit). Wikipedia has a few suggestions:

"Various recipes for Welsh rarebit include the addition of ale, mustard, ground cayenne pepper or ground paprika and Worcestershire sauce. The sauce may also be made by blending cheese and mustard into a Béchamel sauce or Mornay sauce."

Mornay is basically a white sauce with cheddar and Swiss melted in, so you're most of the way there already.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:42 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Sounds like Welsh rabbit (or rarebit). Wikipedia has a few suggestions:

"Various recipes for Welsh rarebit include the addition of ale, mustard, ground cayenne pepper or ground paprika and Worcestershire sauce. The sauce may also be made by blending cheese and mustard into a Béchamel sauce or Mornay sauce."

Mornay is basically a white sauce with cheddar and Swiss melted in, so you're most of the way there already.

You beat me to it.

I love Welsh rarebit. I usually make it with milk rather than beer, though that's just because I don't drink beer and it's not worth buying just for rarebit.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:52 pm UTC

I suppose I have effectively arrived at Welsh rarebit haven't I (which is appropriate given that I was born in Wales)

It happened gradually so I didn't really notice - I always used Worcestershire sauce on cheese on toast, then I added mayo, because I didn't like how heavy straight cheese on toast was, and then started chucking in everything I had that I thought would improve the flavour. Adding anchovy sauce was a failed experiment.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:00 am UTC

Ok, since we're on the topic of food: I've got 3 small avocados. I bought them to eat as snacks by themselves, which, though an excellent way to consume avocados, seems a little boring. What else can I do with them, apart from the obvious "make guacamole" or "add to a salad"?

The internet suggested making milkshake, which looks interesting.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:10 am UTC

My favourite is simply to cut in half, then add crushed garlic and olive oil to the spot where the pit used to be. Eat with spoon.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:13 am UTC

I've seen avocados used as the base for smoothies to make them thick.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:26 am UTC

poxic wrote:My favourite is simply to cut in half, then add crushed garlic and olive oil to the spot where the pit used to be. Eat with spoon.
I do the same but with homemade vinaigrette in the holes.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:30 am UTC

Yeah, I've eaten it with generic salad dressing dumped into the hole, but I've never tried plain olive oil and a bit of garlic. Maybe I'll add some paprika, too.

Edit: Ding ding, we have a winner! Just finished trying this and oh my god, that was divine.
Last edited by Oraiste on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:48 am UTC

Just plain salt makes avocados shine.

Seriously I have almost zero interest in plain avocado, but just add a tiny bit of salt to it and oh my god most delicious thing ever.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:58 am UTC

Hmm, my instincts were telling me I should add salt to them, but I was too afraid to try. I guess this means soy sauce would be good too.

(You know what else salt makes a surprisingly delicious addition to? Nutella. Seriously, try it.)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:00 am UTC

See, I just assume that everyone eats them with salt when they say that they're having it plain.

Uncertain what the point of an avocado is without it.
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:03 am UTC

Cottage Cheese?
I like a lovely avocado sliced onto a small bowl of cottage cheese.
I add salt a glass of sparkling mineral water and call it Lunch.

Avocado makes nearly everything better.
Avocado is good in salad.
Avocado is good in soup.

Avocado has never made a bowl of cold cereal better.
well...Not that I know of.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:01 am UTC

Oraiste wrote:Ok, since we're on the topic of food: I've got 3 small avocados. I bought them to eat as snacks by themselves, which, though an excellent way to consume avocados, seems a little boring. What else can I do with them, apart from the obvious "make guacamole" or "add to a salad"?

• Halve one
  • Remove the pit
  • Use a spoon to remove the skin from the meat, keeping the meat intact
  • Fill the resulting depression with a mound of cooked white rice
  • Top with a couple slices of cheddar cheese
  • Microwave for a few seconds just to melt the cheese
  • Salt to taste

Sliced avocado is also really good on a hamburger.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:17 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Oraiste wrote:Ok, since we're on the topic of food: I've got 3 small avocados. I bought them to eat as snacks by themselves, which, though an excellent way to consume avocados, seems a little boring. What else can I do with them, apart from the obvious "make guacamole" or "add to a salad"?

Or smash it up a bit and use it instead of butter on a sandwich.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:21 am UTC

Oraiste wrote:Yeah, I've eaten it with generic salad dressing dumped into the hole, but I've never tried plain olive oil and a bit of garlic. Maybe I'll add some paprika, too.

I like blue cheese dressing for this setup, personally. But that might be mostly just because I like blue cheese.

You can use them in sandwiches too, of course. Cold cuts of chicken with slices of avocado is a good combination, with seasonings to taste.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:23 am UTC

I think I'm gonna need more avocados.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:28 am UTC

ConMan wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:

That sounds awesome, I'm gonna have to try that.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:53 am UTC

Ok, I just tried one with salt, and frankly, I'm unimpressed. From the way you lot were hyping it up, I was expecting my tongue to have an orgasm, but I wouldn't even call it an improvement on the unaltered taste. It wasn't bad, but I fail to see why salted is superior to plain.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:28 am UTC

To my taste buds, plain unsalted avocado doesn't taste like much of anything at all. I can barely even taste it. But adding a little bit of salt suddenly makes it a rich savory flavor. I've always attributed that to the difference between raw glutamates (which humans have no taste sensors for) and sodium glutamates (which are responsible for the "savory" or umami flavor sensation).

Maybe the avocados you're eating are already salty for some other reason, or something you're eating alongside them is already salty, so "unsalted" avocado already gets the rich savory flavor for you, and salting it doesn't add anything extra?

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:19 am UTC

Interesting. Plain avocado tastes, to me, rich and creamy and perfectly delicious on its own. Adding salt gave it a little more flavour, I guess, but it also masked the subtleties that make the raw flesh so good. I doubt my avocados are inherently more salty than yours -- they're just regular Hass cultivars -- and I frequently eat them with nothing else.

This reminds me of asparagus: I've heard a lot of folks mention that asparagus makes their pee smell bad, to the extent that I've seen comedians making jokes about it like it was common knowledge, but neither I nor any of my family members have ever noticed anything after eating asparagus. We presumably have some genetic quirk that prevents us from synthesising and/or detecting whatever compound produces asparagus piss stink, so maybe there's something similar going on with avocados?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:56 am UTC

As Alton Brown says, "salt makes food taste more like itself". I just like the way it brings out a bit more of depth of flavour from the avo.

Avo is great when mushed with a little salt and white pepper and heaped on toast. Or on a toasted (or fresh) sandwich (or baguette or ciabatta) with bacon or ham. Or in a wrap with smoked chicken and cucumber. These are my favourite ways of eating it. I have avo on toast for breakfast more often than not.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:56 am UTC

I have also seen recipes for dairy free (or paleo or whatever) avo based chocolate ice cream.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:17 pm UTC

Oraiste wrote:This reminds me of asparagus: I've heard a lot of folks mention that asparagus makes their pee smell bad, to the extent that I've seen comedians making jokes about it like it was common knowledge, but neither I nor any of my family members have ever noticed anything after eating asparagus. We presumably have some genetic quirk that prevents us from synthesising and/or detecting whatever compound produces asparagus piss stink, so maybe there's something similar going on with avocados?

I remember seeing something about the reasons for this somewhere. IIRC some people's urine doesn't end up smelling different after eating asparagus and some people can't smell any difference in anyone's urine after eating asparagus. Both of these traits seem to be primarily genetic. I can't remember the exact ratios but, IIRC, I think it was around 50% who wouldn't smell any difference in their urine after eating asparagus (whether that's because they can't smell the difference or because there isn't any is a different issue).

I've also never noticed any difference due to asparagus but I don't know which group I fall into.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:54 pm UTC

As a native californian, I feel like I always need to interject on comments about avocados (I miss living in San Diego, where I had a tree in the backyard, norcal they aren't as nice or cheap)

Amazing breakfast: Sourdough "crusty" bread, toasted, with brie and avocado, dash of "old bay" seasoning on top.
amazing breakfast2: Runny eggs with tabasco and avocado, wheat toast (enriched pan bread) to dip into egg
amazing breakfast3: Egg/ham/roasted chile scramble, avocado folded in at the last moment, cholula to taste. served with fresh, hot corn tortillas and a few wedges of lime.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:32 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:

Sounds like how Subway does it. I wish they'd offer hummus. Hummus is one of my most favorite things to put on a sandwich.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

You can serve guacamole in the avocado shells, by the by. Realizing that you can eat food in the things you took the food from to prepare it was a life-changer for me. (Butternut squash risotto in butternut squash shells, gemista, drinking drinks out of hollowed-out pineapples*, &c &c)

*haven't tried that as I am not a pineapple fan but does it not sound fancy?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:43 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
ConMan wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:

Sounds like how Subway does it. I wish they'd offer hummus. Hummus is one of my most favorite things to put on a sandwich.

There's a place near me called Pitta Pit, which is effectively Subway for pitta bread. This means you get both hummus and halloumi, which are two of my most favourite things to put on a sandwich. Fresh pitta bread is also far superior to that squidgy, soft, crust-less stuff Subway likes to call bread.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:22 pm UTC

Moo wrote:As Alton Brown says, "salt makes food taste more like itself". I just like the way it brings out a bit more of depth of flavour from the avo.

See, for me, the salt made the avocado taste less like itself. I'd say I must have over-salted it, but even digging down to an untouched piece of avocado and delicately dabbing it against a salty bit yielded unimpressive results. Again, it wasn't like it was bad or anything, but the salt just seemed superfluous.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:23 pm UTC

Quercus, you wouldn't happen to be in Isla Vista would you? EDIT: Apparently Pita Pit is a chain restaurant, not a local IV thing. Who knew. Never seen one anywhere else.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:38 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Quercus, you wouldn't happen to be in Isla Vista would you? EDIT: Apparently Pita Pit is a chain restaurant, not a local IV thing. Who knew. Never seen one anywhere else.

There's one in SLO. I didn't know it was a chain until I saw one in San Diego once.

Other places I didn't know where chains until I moved around more:
Woodstock's Pizza
Mountain Mike's Pizza
Foster's Freeze
Adalberto's (this one only has two locations, San Diego and Sacramento O.o)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:45 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Quercus, you wouldn't happen to be in Isla Vista would you? EDIT: Apparently Pita Pit is a chain restaurant, not a local IV thing. Who knew. Never seen one anywhere else.

Nope, Central London (UK), so it's even gone international. Kind of wish I was in Isla Vista though given the current weather here. I thought Pita Pit was an independent thing too!

Oraiste wrote:
Moo wrote:As Alton Brown says, "salt makes food taste more like itself". I just like the way it brings out a bit more of depth of flavour from the avo.

See, for me, the salt made the avocado taste less like itself. I'd say I must have over-salted it, but even digging down to an untouched piece of avocado and delicately dabbing it against a salty bit yielded unimpressive results. Again, it wasn't like it was bad or anything, but the salt just seemed superfluous.

The rule of thumb that I like to use is if it tastes salty after salting then your food (unless it's something like popcorn or pretzels) is over-salted. For avocado I'd say that salting is very much optional though. The analogy I like to use with salt is that undersalted food tastes blurred, and salt just brings the existing flavours into focus without adding its own flavour.

Return to “General”