Train Pass Price Gouging?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

aro3n

Train Pass Price Gouging?

Postby aro3n » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Understanding that student passes (monthly) are offered by the MBTA (mbta.com) for $20USD, does a private organization have the right to sell it for $25 AND claim that it is a combo/link pass (which entails usage 24hr/7days of the week) even though the pass itself says STUDENT JUL 2008 and says on the pass $20.

I feel like there is a law against this, does anyone know? (I hope this is in the correct forums)
Last edited by aro3n on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lowbart

Re: Train Pass Price Gauging?

Postby lowbart » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:46 am UTC

You're thinking of price gouging.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:10 am UTC

On the surface, it looks like they're just buying a student pass and selling it to you. I don't think that's particularly illegal unless there are anti-scalping laws in the area. It depends on the private organization, too. If it's your school, it's probably a bit more likely to be legit than some other source. Either way, couldn't you just ask the mbta?

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Sounds illegal to me. Scalping and misrepresentation to boot.

aro3n

Re: Train Pass Price Gouging?

Postby aro3n » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:33 am UTC

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-185a.htm
but it only says theatrical tickets, so would this apply?

kovan

Postby kovan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

Am I reading this right? You're complaining about a train pass costing $25/month? I pay $200/month for my train pass.

Edit: I know, I know it's about the scalping, I'm just having a hard time sympathizing with your position

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Throw out the money.

i costs X. Organization Z is selling i marked as J for x+y. J is more useful than i. Is this a problem?

Yes, yes it is.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

I'm afraid I agree with kovan here. Considering that a monthly student travelcard for London underground alone is the equivalent of about $250 to $350 depending on where you live - and this doesn't cover the vast majority of overground train services nor any buses, which are the main form of local transport for many students - I'm really not sure what you're complaining about. If you want to travel around London for one day it's going to cost you over $10 with student discounts, and you still won't be allowed to travel during peak hours.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

From the website

Students ride the T for 50% off the price of standard T fares and are eligible for a $20/month Student T-Pass good for unlimited travel on Bus, Subway, Express Bus, and Commuter Rail Zones 1A, 1 and 2 until 8p.m. on school days.

They're selling it as (I'm guessing here) a Linkpass, which is "Unlimited travel on Subway and Local Bus".. if you're curious, the price on that is $59.... not that it matters.

It's misrepresentation of a product, bare minimum. I don't know what the scalping laws are in that area.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

aro3n

Postby aro3n » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:From the website

Students ride the T for 50% off the price of standard T fares and are eligible for a $20/month Student T-Pass good for unlimited travel on Bus, Subway, Express Bus, and Commuter Rail Zones 1A, 1 and 2 until 8p.m. on school days.

They're selling it as (I'm guessing here) a Linkpass, which is "Unlimited travel on Subway and Local Bus".. if you're curious, the price on that is $59.... not that it matters.

It's misrepresentation of a product, bare minimum. I don't know what the scalping laws are in that area.

Yes, that is a linkpass or people like me who still call it a combo, but that's what they advertised and said that they were giving us a discount for the combo pass but, instead they gave us a student pass, which is not listed, instead it is only on http://commerce.mbta.com/additional.asp or at schools (my school offers does not offer the student pass for $20, rather, it is only $7, but its not open during the summer).

Also, I would just like to point out that $25 is still a good deal for a month pass (with restrictions). I just want to know the legality of it; It's not like I'm gonna sue/ burn a bridge over $5

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

aro3n wrote:Also, I would just like to point out that $25 is still a good deal for a month pass (with restrictions). I just want to know the legality of it; It's not like I'm gonna sue/ burn a bridge over $5

I would. If Newegg, for instance (with whom I have spent tens of thousands of dollars) were to totally stiff me on a $5 item, I'd be looking for a new vendor.

There is no reason, under any circumstances, for a vendor to sell something as something that it is not. Notify the MBTA and let them deal with it.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Robin S wrote:I'm afraid I agree with kovan here. Considering that a monthly student travelcard for London underground alone is the equivalent of about $250 to $350 depending on where you live - and this doesn't cover the vast majority of overground train services nor any buses, which are the main form of local transport for many students - I'm really not sure what you're complaining about. If you want to travel around London for one day it's going to cost you over $10 with student discounts, and you still won't be allowed to travel during peak hours.

Are you sure you live here? Travelcards are bus passes as well, and they're £90 a month WITHOUT student discount (zones 1 and 2), and that's nowhere near $250. I'm also pretty sure that its £4.70 for a day (the oystercard price cap) which would be a shade UNDER $10, and I would've sworn that the peak hours thing doesn't apply to that, though they have changed that a couple of times to render it very confusing.

I'm not saying that its not expensive, but your facts and numbers are a little bit off.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

Spoffin wrote:zones 1 and 2
Most people in London, myself included, don't live anywhere near zones 1 and 2. Besides, even £90 is already $180.
I'm also pretty sure that its £4.70 for a day (the oystercard price cap)
True, but a large part of London is not near a tube station, and therefore the Oystercard cap is irrelevant. It's £7.60 for an off-peak day travelcard, with about a 30% reduction if you have a Young Person's railcard.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:It's £7.60 for an off-peak day travelcard
Isn't the congestion charge only £8?
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

For most vehicles, yes, but travelling around London by car can be a nightmare, and many people don't have cars. Especially among the student age group.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

wing wrote:
Robin S wrote:It's £7.60 for an off-peak day travelcard
Isn't the congestion charge only £8?

Yeah, but the congestion charge only applies to a part of zone one. Travelling in zone 1+2 is capped at £4.70.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Calorus

Postby Calorus » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Robin S wrote:I'm afraid I agree with kovan here. Considering that a monthly student travelcard for London underground alone is the equivalent of about $250 to $350 depending on where you live - and this doesn't cover the vast majority of overground train services nor any buses, which are the main form of local transport for many students - I'm really not sure what you're complaining about. If you want to travel around London for one day it's going to cost you over $10 with student discounts, and you still won't be allowed to travel during peak hours.

Not quite - LU underground is up to £130 ($250), however that's to Zone D - Amersham - and if you live in Amersham, you don't go to London daily, unless you're certifiable, as it's 30 miles outside of the city centre. And your Oyster Card is Valid on Underground, Overground, Buses, River Services, and regional trains within TfL boundaries.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:30 am UTC

Envy me you all, and bite your pillow in anger and insanity.
Me, where a single bus/tram ride for non-students is ~0.50$, and discounted ~0.30$. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Price index FTW!
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

jasonsmith

Postby jasonsmith » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:51 am UTC

What is the quickest train route from Saint Malo to Amsterdam? I am going travelling in Europe in 10 days and the first trip is to Amsterdam. I get the boat to Saint Malo and then need a train to get to Amsterdam. My boat will arrive in Saint Malo at around 11am. What is the quickest train/route to take to get me to Amsterdam central?

Burkitt

Postby Burkitt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

jasonsmith wrote:What is the quickest train route from Saint Malo to Amsterdam? I am going travelling in Europe in 10 days and the first trip is to Amsterdam. I get the boat to Saint Malo and then need a train to get to Amsterdam. My boat will arrive in Saint Malo at around 11am. What is the quickest train/route to take to get me to Amsterdam central?

The German national railways, Deutsche Bahn, have a great European train travel planning service on their website bahn.de.

According to DB, the quickest route is the 12:14 TGV from Saint Malo to Paris Montparnasse, metro to Paris Nord, Thalys high speed train to Brussels Midi, and Intercity from there to Amsterdam Central, arriving at 21:06. Full details here

Tickets on the TGV and Thalys need to be bought in advance, so buy online before you arrive in Saint Malo.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

What you're talking about is definitely illegal in NYC, but I don't know about Boston. /not helpful
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:What you're talking about is definitely illegal in NYC, but I don't know about Boston. /not helpful
If you didn't notice, this was ultra-necro'd (more than half a year old.)

That said, it depends on the situation. Usually, companies can't sell student tickets unless they have a system set up with the train people (mainly to prevent non-students from buying student tickets,) so presumably the MBTA knows what's up.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Oh. Huh. I should pay more attention to the most recent posts in threads.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Return to “General”