Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Punkrock Cowboy

Re: Today You Learned

Postby Punkrock Cowboy » Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:
Punkrock Cowboy wrote:Yesterday I learned the subtle diffrences between nihilism and athiesm. Well, maybe they're not so subtle, but I couldn't honestly make an intelligent arguement about the differences before.

Nihilism is when you don't hold anything sacred and believe life is a big ball oh chaotic fuck all. Atheism is just where you don't believe in a higher power. You may still believe that there are reasons to have morals and such.
Yeah I learned that now, wikipedia beat you to the punch by a couple of hours, but you're definition would have saved me half an hour of reading.

Today, though, today I learned that, while I thought practical sign offs had a point or reasoning behind them, they are, in fact, just random and pointless tasks assigned to form some sort of grade-able curriculum.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu May 29, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Today I learned that several girls in my school have gotten laid and/or given guys head. Honestly, it's really creepy to think about a 13 year old giving a 16 year old a blowjob.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

frenchToast

Postby frenchToast » Thu May 29, 2008 3:30 am UTC

That is creepy.

Today I learned that I can accompany a friend to surgery in the hospital and see people with IVs in without winding up on the floor/running out screaming.
You may think this is trivial, but I assure you it is actually quite a revelation.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Thu May 29, 2008 4:12 am UTC

I still can't throw a frisbee worth a damn.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu May 29, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Graduation = Cool

Graduation practice = Boring

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu May 29, 2008 7:49 am UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:Today I learned that organizing your computer only makes it mad and stop working. I just wasted my afternoon. :(

Putting all the C:/WINDOWS .dll's into one folder= BAD IDEA!
(Not that I actually think you are that stupid...)

Today I learned a freaking crapload about how to play Dwarf Fortress (But that's another thread :wink: )

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu May 29, 2008 8:11 am UTC

Today I learned that Senior Skip day is this Friday.

Woo-hoo!

(Although this was a pretty good illustration of how out of the social loop I am, outside of my friends. I found out from my teacher. Dorksville.*)

*I use this word facetiously.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Thu May 29, 2008 8:23 am UTC

Today I learnt that when absolutely everything was going wrong, things can unexplicably start looking better again.

My life has been very up and down the past 2 weeks.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 am UTC

Today I learnt just how similar the past papers for the exam on Saturday are. Most of the questions really are the same, just with the numbers changed. Wooo, I might actually have a chance of passing this one!
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Thu May 29, 2008 8:56 am UTC

Today, I've learned:

1. The direction you insert the straw, in rare situations, actually affects how well it works.
2. Forcibly draining a boil makes it heal faster. When combined with antibiotics.
3. iTunes' "party shuffle" is an excellent way to rediscover music in your own collection, especially if you setup a "smart playlist" that prioritizes songs you haven't listened to lately.
4. Critically reading, and responding to, ten pages of philosophy produces about one page of notes. This is a good ratio.
5. When you setup your budget, budgeting for expenses you've already paid and balancing that against your cash on hand severely underestimates your diversionary spending. Okay, I already knew this. What I really learned was that one should take more care to check for these things.
6. My neighbor evidently smokes.
7. Papa Murphy's has a special on large pepperoni pizzas.
8. If you fix soba, putting off washing dishes until the next morning does stink up the apartment, but it's not unpleasant the way putting off washing dishes after fixing chili is.
9. If you walk into the post office with the slip they shove in your door frame when they try to deliver a package while you're away from home, they'll give you the package no questions asked half the time. Hypothetically, I could go door to door stealing package notices and collect lots of free stuff.

Yesterday, I learned:

1. How to use the Philosopher's Index to find relevant, published papers about my thesis.
2. Thyroid medication is not really all that expensive, even without insurance.
3. A series of letters exchanged between Hobbes and Bramhall in olde historical times lies at the heart of the free will debate.
4. Things don't get awkward with my ex-girlfriend even if we haven't spoken in awhile.
5. Limiting the number of host connections really speeds up BitTorrent.
6. If you have soba or something in a bowl, and you put soy sauce on it, the soy sauce will collect at the bottom. If you get your second serving in a second bowl, you can reapply the old soy sauce. This saves soy sauce.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 pm UTC

Today I learned how much I enjoy being in charge at work.

I also learned how insane some people can be. Seriously, how do these people live on a day-to-day basis?
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Thu May 29, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

Today I learnt that you get banned from 4chan for a month for posting that contravertial picture.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu May 29, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

I learned that resonance occurs when the driving frequency of the motor is equal to the natural frequency of the system. And that you can resonate more than just drinks. Of course, I learned this months ago, but I revised it today because I didn't get to take the damn test first time around. [/basic science}

I also heard Winger for the first time today! Awesome!

And today, I learned that a power nap can do wonders for a body. Unless you haven't fallen asleep by the time the alarm rings, in which case you'll feel horrible.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 29, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:Today I learnt that you get banned from 4chan for a month for posting that contravertial picture.

See.. I only know of one image category that'll get you banned. It'll also get you a visit from the 4chan Party Van too, and with good reason.

Perhaps I'm better off not knowing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Thu May 29, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Joeldi wrote:Today I learnt that you get banned from 4chan for a month for posting that contravertial picture.

See.. I only know of one image category that'll get you banned. It'll also get you a visit from the 4chan Party Van too, and with good reason.

That is precisely what I was thinking.

Or are they bringing in even more rules?
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Thu May 29, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:Today I learned that several girls in my school have gotten laid and/or given guys head. Honestly, it's really creepy to think about a 13 year old giving a 16 year old a blowjob.

I've been watching some American TV lately. Do you recognize this guy?

btt:

Today I learned it's a bad idea to lie down on a couch when you have been up for 12 hours without much rest or anything to eat at all. I woke up just now.
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Today I learned that Senior Skip day is this Friday.

Woo-hoo!

(Although this was a pretty good illustration of how out of the social loop I am, outside of my friends. I found out from my teacher. Dorksville.*)

*I use this word facetiously.

OUR Senior Skip Day was last week. Tomorrow is the last day of school. :P

Shakleton wrote:
Ramses IV wrote:Today I learned that several girls in my school have gotten laid and/or given guys head. Honestly, it's really creepy to think about a 13 year old giving a 16 year old a blowjob.

I've been watching some American TV lately. Do you recognize this guy?

btt:

Today I learned it's a bad idea to lie down on a couch when you have been up for 12 hours without much rest or anything to eat at all. I woke up just now.

Despite being American, he doesn't look familiar to me at all. But then, I only have, like, 5 channels. Who is he?
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Chris Hansen. I only know this thanks to South Park And YouTube.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri May 30, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Ah. The Sexual Predator guy.
My Blag

btilly

Postby btilly » Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 am UTC

That the Java API for a simple feature really can be as simple as the Perl API once you show it to a good programmer who doesn't like to overcomplicate things.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri May 30, 2008 12:56 am UTC

that we have a 'serious business' forum now apparently?

Seriously, when did that happen? Or was there always one and it was in some other category, I can't remember...
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Fri May 30, 2008 1:13 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

There's a picture of a guy who looks like Adam Savage. Goatse. Let that sink in, man. Adam Savage goatse. I'm guessing that is what Joe was talking about.

That is disturbing on so many levels. I refuse to believe Adam would do such a thing. That, and the only information I could find was on somethingawful.

Today I learned: Microsoft Paint uses a TON of memory.

Kamekai

Postby Kamekai » Fri May 30, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Today I learned the meaning of life.

...but I forgot.
Apparently I make pretty pictars. Unfortunately I have to make do with with GIMP. no Photoshop for me I'm afraid. v_v

I support GPL and Creative Commons and whatnot. Totally against the Orphaned Works Act as well. >.>

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Fri May 30, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Kamekai wrote:Today I learned the meaning of life.

...but I forgot.
This is why you should always bring paper and a pen with you.

Kamekai

Postby Kamekai » Fri May 30, 2008 1:19 am UTC

Hoshi no Kabii wrote:

...but I forgot.

Uhh... I left them in my other pair of pants?

Lol, you're talking to the guy who always carries around electric tape in his pocket. xD
Apparently I make pretty pictars. Unfortunately I have to make do with with GIMP. no Photoshop for me I'm afraid. v_v

I support GPL and Creative Commons and whatnot. Totally against the Orphaned Works Act as well. >.>

GCM

Postby GCM » Fri May 30, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Kamekai wrote:
Hoshi no Kabii wrote:

...but I forgot.

Lol, you're talking to the guy who always carries around electric tape in his pocket. xD

Use your phone, man! That's what I do whenever I get an idea, or am told something, or see something funny. And if you can't store notes, just email yourself!

Speaking of which, learn that today! Whee!!!
~Sun Tzu

Kamekai

Postby Kamekai » Fri May 30, 2008 1:58 am UTC

GCM wrote:
Kamekai wrote:
Hoshi no Kabii wrote:

...but I forgot.

Use your phone, man! That's what I do whenever I get an idea, or am told something, or see something funny. And if you can't store notes, just email yourself!

Speaking of which, learn that today! Whee!!!

Apparently my phone could not handle the level of PWN that was the meaning of life.

Apparently I couldn't either.

And that is what I learned today.

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Fri May 30, 2008 2:10 am UTC

GCM wrote:Use your phone, man!
Unless you have one of those phones with a keypad, wouldn't that be awfully slow? I know I would forget the meaning of life before I finished typing the second word.

GCM

Postby GCM » Fri May 30, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Hoshi no Kabii wrote:
GCM wrote:Use your phone, man!
Unless you have one of those phones with a keypad, wouldn't that be awfully slow? I know I would forget the meaning of life before I finished typing the second word.

Uhh, keypad? As in 1234567890*# and some buttons to scroll around, green phone and red phone icons, a cancel, confirm and options? Or one of those fancy Blackberry things with a keyboard?

If it's a regular phone, you should be able to type, right? Or, maybe if there's voice recording.

Ahh, well. I'm not interested in the meaning of life anyway.
~Sun Tzu

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Fri May 30, 2008 2:24 am UTC

GCM wrote:Uhh, keypad? As in 1234567890*# and some buttons to scroll around, green phone and red phone icons, a cancel, confirm and options? Or one of those fancy Blackberry things with a keyboard?

If it's a regular phone, you should be able to type, right? Or, maybe if there's voice recording.

Oh, you know what I mean. Keyboard. On normal phones, you need to tap any given key multiple times to get the desired letter. Plus the few seconds of wait time between letters.

Kamekai

Postby Kamekai » Fri May 30, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Hoshi no Kabii wrote:
GCM wrote:Uhh, keypad? As in 1234567890*# and some buttons to scroll around, green phone and red phone icons, a cancel, confirm and options? Or one of those fancy Blackberry things with a keyboard?

Oh, you know what I mean. Keyboard. On normal phones, you need to tap any given key multiple times to get the desired letter. Plus the few seconds of wait time between letters.

T9 mode ftw

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri May 30, 2008 2:33 am UTC

I learned that Call of Duty 4 is a fairly good game.
What the hell took me so long to figure this out?!?!
多么现在棕色母牛?

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri May 30, 2008 2:37 am UTC

I've been learning this over the past 6 months, but it clicked in place today. When the first question from everyone you talk to at your job interview is basically "Why the hell would you want to move here?", that's not a good sign.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Fri May 30, 2008 3:02 am UTC

I learned that citronella candles don't do nearly as much as I would have hoped against bugs. :( I seriously think the bugs in New York have developed a tolerance to the stuff.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri May 30, 2008 3:23 am UTC

5th graders can take a surprising amount of verbal abuse.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

muffin of doom

Postby muffin of doom » Fri May 30, 2008 3:25 am UTC

Today I learned that the two first-year boys at my school who look kinda the same really are twins. Or actually, triplets, but the third one doesn't go to this school. (I was especially proud of myself for not being the last teacher to figure this out, as usually happens.)

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri May 30, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Today I learned that aluminum is really fun to carve up with a dremel tool. Also, I learned that we need to buy some metal polisher.

a386

Postby a386 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:57 am UTC

today i learned a lot about squigglevision after following a lot of links away from wikipedia's article on Loren Bouchard. I also learned that the firefox dictionary says the past tense of sneak is sneaked, not snuck. woo

levicc00123

Postby levicc00123 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

I learned about how useful the local Salvation Army is.

sleepygamer
More metal than thou

Postby sleepygamer » Fri May 30, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

How to play Lay Down by Priestess, and I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor by The Arctic Monkeys.

I have to perform them with a band tomorrow. :D At a party.

I shall be drinking much. :D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Return to “General”