Today, I've learned:
1. The direction you insert the straw, in rare situations, actually affects how well it works.
2. Forcibly draining a boil makes it heal faster. When combined with antibiotics.
3. iTunes' "party shuffle" is an excellent way to rediscover music in your own collection, especially if you setup a "smart playlist" that prioritizes songs you haven't listened to lately.
4. Critically reading, and responding to, ten pages of philosophy produces about one page of notes. This is a good ratio.
5. When you setup your budget, budgeting for expenses you've already paid and balancing that against your cash on hand severely underestimates your diversionary spending. Okay, I already knew this. What I really learned was that one should take more care to check for these things.
6. My neighbor evidently smokes.
7. Papa Murphy's has a special on large pepperoni pizzas.
8. If you fix soba, putting off washing dishes until the next morning does stink up the apartment, but it's not unpleasant the way putting off washing dishes after fixing chili is.
9. If you walk into the post office with the slip they shove in your door frame when they try to deliver a package while you're away from home, they'll give you the package no questions asked half the time. Hypothetically, I could go door to door stealing package notices and collect lots of free stuff.
Yesterday, I learned:
1. How to use the Philosopher's Index to find relevant, published papers about my thesis.
2. Thyroid medication is not really all that expensive, even without insurance.
3. A series of letters exchanged between Hobbes and Bramhall in olde historical times lies at the heart of the free will debate.
4. Things don't get awkward with my ex-girlfriend even if we haven't spoken in awhile.
5. Limiting the number of host connections really speeds up BitTorrent.
6. If you have soba or something in a bowl, and you put soy sauce on it, the soy sauce will collect at the bottom. If you get your second serving in a second bowl, you can reapply the old soy sauce. This saves soy sauce.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.
Perfection is an unattainable goal.